Video Game Catch-All Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 29, 2008 -> 06:38 PM)
Pikmin was Nintendo's biggest critical success on the GameCube with two iterations that have scored a 89 and 90 on metacritic. They are remaking the first one on Wii due out next month and then the true sequel is also in development I think.

Yes, but what is it?

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 29, 2008 -> 07:23 PM)
Yes, but what is it?

little plantlike creatures. A large plant called an Onion shoots seeds out, and they grow really quick. Your character plucks them out of the ground and they follow him around and do things for him.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 29, 2008 -> 08:26 PM)
I would have tried to explain it, but, as kyyle proved, it's something you're better off looking into for yourself.

LOL, I knew it would draw a "huh?"

And at the same time, its really the best you can do to explain them, it wasnt meant to make much sense.

They haven't released Zelda yet - that was a GC port.

Jumping into the Wii debate - I'm very disappointed in how they set up their schedule of releases. Basically there's been nothing since Kart, Mario and Wii Fit that has been worth buying, and there doesn't seem to be anything in the near future (a new Zelda "sometime")

I think the PS3 is going to dominate in 2009. 360 is over in terms of exclusive games, but the PS3 will put out Killzone 2 (i'm predicting it'll be the best console FPS ever... surpassing the overrated Halo) in Feb and God of War III in the fall. Not to mention 2009 MLB The Show. Add in Resident Evil 5 and it's going to be a fun year for gaming.

Did anyone pick up anything good for Xmas? Something under the rader? I got World of Goo, a ridiculously fun and addictive Wii Ware and PC game ($15 for hours and hours of enjoyment). I also picked up NBA 2k9. I've been debating whether or not to pick up Rock Band 2. The AC\DC track pack would be awesome. But I don't really have enough friends that live close enough to play as a band on a regular basis, so I doubt it'd be worth the money.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Dec 29, 2008 -> 05:03 PM)
So what did Santa bring?

6000 Wii Points (so far used for World of Goo, Super Mario Bros 1 & 3, and Bubble Bobble, 3000 remain

Shaun White Snowboarding

Super Paper Mario

Tiger Woods 09 All-Play

These games are fantastic.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 30, 2008 -> 04:56 PM)

Jumping into the Wii debate - I'm very disappointed in how they set up their schedule of releases. Basically there's been nothing since Kart, Mario and Wii Fit that has been worth buying, and there doesn't seem to be anything in the near future (a new Zelda "sometime")

The 3rd party line-up for 2009 is probably Nintendo's best since the SNES era. If Nintendo can make anything decent themselves, Wii should easily be the winner in 2009 in terms of exclusives IMO. As for Zelda, I don't doubt a second Wii edition, I'm just sure it's at least 2+ years off.

The best console FPS ever would be Call of Duty 4, not Halo. Only Halo fanboys think it's the best FPS ever. I'm kinda disappointed in myself that I bought that overrated game, all of its ratings were based purely on its name IMO.

The 360 is not done with exclusives, I don't know who is saying that. They are focused on Sony as their competition, not so much Nintendo, and they're going to stay competitive. 2009 is going to be a better year for Sony, but it had better be since they are still getting out-sold by Microsoft by something like a 2 to 1 margin. There's other exclusives planned, I can only name Mass Effect 2 off the top of my head as a confirmed game though. I think there is another Halo (not that I care), and Square Enix is supposed to be doing something.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 30, 2008 -> 10:56 AM)

I think the PS3 is going to dominate in 2009. 360 is over in terms of exclusive games, but the PS3 will put out Killzone 2 (i'm predicting it'll be the best console FPS ever... surpassing the overrated Halo) in Feb and God of War III in the fall. Not to mention 2009 MLB The Show. Add in Resident Evil 5 and it's going to be a fun year for gaming.

Did anyone pick up anything good for Xmas? Something under the rader? I got World of Goo, a ridiculously fun and addictive Wii Ware and PC game ($15 for hours and hours of enjoyment). I also picked up NBA 2k9. I've been debating whether or not to pick up Rock Band 2. The AC\DC track pack would be awesome. But I don't really have enough friends that live close enough to play as a band on a regular basis, so I doubt it'd be worth the money.

I just beat that game, and I CAN NOT WAIT until they make a full version of that game.

I don't know if it can get better than 2008 for Sony, but their line-up for 2009 is looking to give it a run. Killzone 2, The Agency, Mass Action Game, Gran Turismo 5, Uncharted 2, Final Fantasy Versus, Rachet and Clank 2, God of War 3, Infamous, and DC Universe. Wow, that is actually an amazing exclusive line-up, and should actually be able to top what Sony did in 2008.

The problem with the 360 is that they can't rely on major first party titles the way Nintendo and Sony can. With all of their few 1st parties out of the way, I think it might get a little rough for them.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 30, 2008 -> 11:25 AM)
I don't know if it can get better than 2008 for Sony, but their line-up for 2009 is looking to give it a run. Killzone 2, The Agency, Mass Action Game, Gran Turismo 5, Uncharted 2, Final Fantasy Versus, Rachet and Clank 2, God of War 3, Infamous, and DC Universe. Wow, that is actually an amazing exclusive line-up, and should actually be able to top what Sony did in 2008.

The problem with the 360 is that they can't rely on major first party titles the way Nintendo and Sony can. With all of their few 1st parties out of the way, I think it might get a little rough for them.

There is also a game called Heavy Rain by Quantic Dream, which has the same concept as Indigo Prophecy on gameplay. There is a demo on how the game will look like. The demo isn't actually from the game just how it will look and feel.

Heavy Rain Trailer

Rockstar is making a new one too, seems to be a PS3 exclusive

LA Noire by Rockstar

I forgot about Uncharted 2. The first one was one of my favorite games of the past couple of years. The Agency i'm still kinda meh on. Good idea, but we'll see what they come out with. Also, did anyone see the reports that Home is selling clothes like hotcakes? I'm kinda suprised people would drop $5 bucks for a stupid santa outfit, but apparently there are lots of people out there. If they actually fill Home with some decent content I think it could be huge for them.

As to the 360 being done, there's nothing mind blowing that'll be released exclusively for the 360. There's some extra GTAIV content about to be released, and maybe a sequel or two (like Mass Effect 2), but all of their major exclusives have already been released and any follow-up will be on the next-next-gen console Microsoft puts out.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 30, 2008 -> 11:15 AM)
The 360 is not done with exclusives, I don't know who is saying that. They are focused on Sony as their competition, not so much Nintendo...

Really? Have you missed the print, television, Internet, and everywhere else non-stop advertising of the 360 having over 200 family titles? They are trying to compete with the Wii, but their only family games suck ass and are crappy cartoon movie ports.

A $15 game available through Wii's download service (World of Goo) is more original and fun, in my opinion, than any sort of exclusive XBOX 360 can come up with.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 30, 2008 -> 01:06 PM)
Really? Have you missed the print, television, Internet, and everywhere else non-stop advertising of the 360 having over 200 family titles? They are trying to compete with the Wii, but their only family games suck ass and are crappy cartoon movie ports.

A $15 game available through Wii's download service (World of Goo) is more original and fun, in my opinion, than any sort of exclusive XBOX 360 can come up with.

I think you missed my point, both Sony and Microsoft know that they're getting their asses handed to them by Nintendo on all fronts in that market and they're not going to make up the deficit this go-round so Microsoft's focus is on keeping ahead of Sony and Sony is focused on gaining ground vs. Microsoft in 2009 (which they will but the economy is probably gonna hurt their sales).

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 30, 2008 -> 03:37 PM)
It's the media's game of the year pick for a reason (and mine too). It's really, really good. Imagine Youtube in video game form and you have Little Big Planet. Extremely innovative.

I played a demo version on the store today and it was ridiculous. I have a feeling its a time consumer and im already tied up in call of duty

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 30, 2008 -> 04:44 PM)
it says its a maybe. Hard to believe actually, it dominates the DS in every possible way, but people just wont buy it.

Except in the fun game part. The DS has original titles, the PSP started out with a bunch of ports and couldnt really get off the ground. Plus, Nintendo already had a good foothold with Gameboy Advance

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Dec 30, 2008 -> 04:57 PM)
Except in the fun game part. The DS has original titles, the PSP started out with a bunch of ports and couldnt really get off the ground. Plus, Nintendo already had a good foothold with Gameboy Advance

I really meant in technology, I have no idea what games it has.

It's an ok system, but I do use my psp much more for media than games (thanks to the link with the ps3). It's nice to be able to stream a movie over the net from my ps3 while at a family gathering.

The game selection has been poor, and for that I'm not sure. God of War was great, the Syphon Filter games were great, and most of the sports games (especially baseball and hot shots golf) are also great, but otherwise there just hasn't been much out there to choose from.