Video Game Catch-All Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (TheBlackSox8 @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 01:05 AM)
......Randomization

The game will also have a unique feature similar to Diablo's random level generation system. This new system will generate more than 500,000 different guns as well as at least 500,000 different item and armor variations, according to the preview of the game in Game Informer magazine,

"We saw a ridiculous amount of guns, but perhaps the strangest was a revolver that fired shotgun shells. Gearbox is constantly surprised with what the system comes up with. They've seen rifles shoot everything from homing darts to rockets. 'One of the guns tracks onto something and locks, and after three seconds, [the target] suddenly explodes,' director Matthew Armstrong says."

According to a more recent interview by 1up.com with CEO and president of Gearbox Software, Randy Pitchford, the game's astounding arsenal will feature over 600,000 weapons. An addition of 100,000 new weapons came from the inclusion of alien technology.[4]

The features of the maps will also be randomly generated. While towns, and the general paths connecting them will remain the same, Borderlands features a system that randomly instances the surrounding landscape, with randomly placed things such as bunkers, towers, caves, enemies, and exploding cacti. All of this is done without a loading screen. Gearbox plans that the player will not see a loading screen after they boot up the game.

Borderlands

demo gameplay

very interesting game....Action RPG 2 player vs....or 4 player co-op online.

Wow, I'm glad you posted that.

It looks pretty inventive. I've always wanted to see a FPS RPG (I guess Fallout 3 is this, but it's a pretty s***ty FPS.) The end of that demo looks like it is showing that there are bosses, which is great. It looks like there are more things to upgrade than the already incredible 600,000 deep weapon selection, like armor, shields and ammo which'll give it that classic RPG feel.

And it's made by 2K Games, so I have even more hope for it.

I just hope all those weapons are actually useful instead of just a show-off feature and that it has a good story, an abundance of rewarding sidequests and a world that is worth exploring for more than just the graphics.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 09:16 AM)
Wow, I'm glad you posted that.

It looks pretty inventive. I've always wanted to see a FPS RPG (I guess Fallout 3 is this, but it's a pretty s***ty FPS.) The end of that demo looks like it is showing that there are bosses, which is great. It looks like there are more things to upgrade than the already incredible 600,000 deep weapon selection, like armor, shields and ammo which'll give it that classic RPG feel.

And it's made by 2K Games, so I have even more hope for it.

I just hope all those weapons are actually useful instead of just a show-off feature and that it has a good story, an abundance of rewarding sidequests and a world that is worth exploring for more than just the graphics.

I'm glad there is a rpg/story driven online co-op. Always wanted to play with a couple friends. And I'm not interested in MMORPG...just too much time in those....with this game you just play the story, with i bet more than a few side quests...this is one of the few games I'm looking forward to this year.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jan 21, 2009 -> 10:32 PM)
Has anyone played SOCOM Confrontation recently? How much has the game improved with the latest updates? I so badly want to play Desert Glory on the PS3 but I'm not going to buy a bad game in order to do so.

why not rent it first?

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jan 21, 2009 -> 08:35 PM)
why not rent it first?

Because I've already played it and was incredibly disappointed in the online play, supposedly the recent updates and server fixes have improved the online play but I'm wondering by how much.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jan 21, 2009 -> 08:45 PM)
Because I've already played it and was incredibly disappointed in the online play, supposedly the recent updates and server fixes have improved the online play but I'm wondering by how much.

i was HUGE into socom 2. Then three i was about half interested....and confrontations problems just blew me off the franchise. Until they can make a must have addicting shooter again, I'll continue to pass on it. I have Confrontation....and last I played it was fixed, I just can't come to play it...just no interest for me. :crying

QUOTE (onedude @ Jan 21, 2009 -> 11:46 PM)
i was HUGE into socom 2. Then three i was about half interested....and confrontations problems just blew me off the franchise. Until they can make a must have addicting shooter again, I'll continue to pass on it. I have Confrontation....and last I played it was fixed, I just can't come to play it...just no interest for me. :crying

Yeah I was actually addicted to SOCOM II for a few weeks back in High School, I would spend 10 straight hours in a US Central Desert Glory room. I got so good with the M4A1-SD, M87ELR and the HK5-SD it was scary. Then SOCOM III came out and the online multiplayer had a ton of bugs and lagtime and they didn't include Desert Glory or Fish Hook in the release so I ended up going back to SOCOM II. It's a shame the franchise has fallen off as much as it has since II was released, I never had as much fun playing a video game as I did playing SOCOM II.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 22, 2009 -> 12:45 PM)
Heard Confrontation is still a huge bust even after the patch. Check out MAG. That's the true Socom successor.

It was nothing I hoped it would be, but I still enjoyed it for a good month. I haven't played since the "patch" but I'd have probably kept playing if they had the party and quick match option working. It was a b**** playing with friends and keeping rooms going for your clan.

Also, the initial release was a joke for clan support. No clan-tag's in game, no good way to set up clan battles other than GB (which I hate) and then all the missing features they said would be in the game. The most irritating thing, probably, was all the features in the game manual which were nowhere to be found in the game. Hell, the game menu was different in the manual than it was actually playing it.

I think the game was rushed out by Sony because they didn't want it to go unnoticed next to Resistance 2 (a game that didn't sell very well either) and the game ultimately suffered not just short term, but for good.

All that said, I think once you look past all the network issues and false promises, it's still a decent shooter. But for a game that is online only, there are no excuses for how much they f***ed up. I have never seen a game manual that was different than the actual game.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Jan 22, 2009 -> 01:41 PM)
It was nothing I hoped it would be, but I still enjoyed it for a good month. I haven't played since the "patch" but I'd have probably kept playing if they had the party and quick match option working. It was a b**** playing with friends and keeping rooms going for your clan.

Also, the initial release was a joke for clan support. No clan-tag's in game, no good way to set up clan battles other than GB (which I hate) and then all the missing features they said would be in the game. The most irritating thing, probably, was all the features in the game manual which were nowhere to be found in the game. Hell, the game menu was different in the manual than it was actually playing it.

I think the game was rushed out by Sony because they didn't want it to go unnoticed next to Resistance 2 (a game that didn't sell very well either) and the game ultimately suffered not just short term, but for good.

All that said, I think once you look past all the network issues and false promises, it's still a decent shooter. But for a game that is online only, there are no excuses for how much they f***ed up. I have never seen a game manual that was different than the actual game.

Makes you wonder that a game like Resistance 2, which is made as a single player game, has an awesome multiplayer with basically no lag....and Socom Confrontation was multiplayer only and had TOO many problems at launch. Slant 6 f***ed up big time, and Zipper f***ed up more letting Slant 6 control the next-gen version of it's best franchise.

QUOTE (onedude @ Jan 22, 2009 -> 03:55 PM)
Makes you wonder that a game like Resistance 2, which is made as a single player game, has an awesome multiplayer with basically no lag....and Socom Confrontation was multiplayer only and had TOO many problems at launch. Slant 6 f***ed up big time, and Zipper f***ed up more letting Slant 6 control the next-gen version of it's best franchise.

Buehrle already mentioned it, but we'll see if Zipper made the right choice when MAG comes out. That game looks... a little too good to be true. But it's not as if the Zipper made Socom's were perfect. They had plenty of their own problems. What's truly sad, though, about Confrontation, they had to, on multiple occasions, release a patch FOR a patch. That's ridiculous. I also see the Confrontation web page was taken down and the Slant 6 web page is "under construction." Makes me wonder if Sony put it in their ass for this atrocity.

Also, I played Resistance 1 so much (a little too much, to say the least) that I didn't care to try Resistance 2. I never finished the single player mode, I was played pretty much strictly online.

Edited by BobDylan

Anyone buy Braid for the 360? I'm looking for another cheap-y arcade game since I finished up with Fable II. It got ridiculously good reviews. The demo was ok, but I have a feeling it limits you pretty severly cuz I couldn't finish the first puzzle/level.

Speaking of Fable II, the game that basically made me get a 360, I'll give it an 8 out of 10. The main storyline is so incredibly short that I was really disappointed. Fortunately I still managed to spend 20-30 hours on it because I did the majority of side quests and built up my professions. There is still a ton to do, but it felt to me like Zelda if you got to play one big dungeon.

I'm also disappointed with the lack of any multiplayer dimension. I think that could have taken the game to another level (basically merging it into an MMORPG style game), cuz right now there's not a whole lot to keep me playing, except to get more "nerd points" (achievements). Since your guy/gal ends up being different depending on what you use your XP on and what you spend your $ on, it would have been fun to have a place to meet up with other people and do party quests or something. Perhaps that'll be implemented in Fable III.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 23, 2009 -> 09:58 AM)
Speaking of Fable II, the game that basically made me get a 360, I'll give it an 8 out of 10. The main storyline is so incredibly short that I was really disappointed. Fortunately I still managed to spend 20-30 hours on it because I did the majority of side quests and built up my professions. There is still a ton to do, but it felt to me like Zelda if you got to play one big dungeon.

I'm also disappointed with the lack of any multiplayer dimension. I think that could have taken the game to another level (basically merging it into an MMORPG style game), cuz right now there's not a whole lot to keep me playing, except to get more "nerd points" (achievements). Since your guy/gal ends up being different depending on what you use your XP on and what you spend your $ on, it would have been fun to have a place to meet up with other people and do party quests or something. Perhaps that'll be implemented in Fable III.

I doubt you'll see it in Fable III. There isn't a single RPG game I can think of that has both a deep single player story with an online mode. It's either one or the other with RPG's. The genre has struggled for awhile now to combine story and online play in a way that works.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Jan 23, 2009 -> 02:06 PM)
I doubt you'll see it in Fable III. There isn't a single RPG game I can think of that has both a deep single player story with an online mode. It's either one or the other with RPG's. The genre has struggled for awhile now to combine story and online play in a way that works.

I posted a few posts ago...a game called Borderlands....I think that game can be what you are talking about. Has the opportunity to be awesome...

QUOTE (onedude @ Jan 23, 2009 -> 10:23 PM)
I posted a few posts ago...a game called Borderlands....I think that game can be what you are talking about. Has the opportunity to be awesome...

It is but it isn't. It's an online story mode, but not MMO.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Jan 24, 2009 -> 05:57 AM)
It is but it isn't. It's an online story mode, but not MMO.

Yeah...i'll pass on an mmo. I'm comparing that game to like playing an earlier game system rpg (ff7, chrono cross) but with multiple players with a max of 4. I prefer that type of online RPG. You can continue it offline or online...don't need to waste your life trying to find people to play with you.

QUOTE (onedude @ Jan 24, 2009 -> 01:51 PM)
Yeah...i'll pass on an mmo. I'm comparing that game to like playing an earlier game system rpg (ff7, chrono cross) but with multiple players with a max of 4. I prefer that type of online RPG. You can continue it offline or online...don't need to waste your life trying to find people to play with you.

I'm alright with finding people to play with. World of Warcraft you can play by yourself up until the high levels (which take a b****load of time to get to). Final Fantasy 11 is mostly grouping, but that game kind of sucks dick.

I enjoy a good MMO, but have plenty of gripes with them that I don't feel like getting into.

The game Jenksismyb**** seems to be looking for is here: White Knight Chronicles

I'll have to check out the White Chronicles.

I went ahead and got Left 4 Dead this weekend. I've got three other friends that play it online all the time. After spending a solid 8 hours yesterday (no football or good basketball games forces Jenks to be a nerd) playing through the 4 campaign chapters and a versus match, I'd have to say that game is up there in my all-time favs. It's awesome.

Anyone else play?

I play it on the PC. Pretty damn fun.

Off that topic, anyone getting Killzone 2 or MLB The Show 09? Add my PS3 screenname if you are (and send in the message who you are here): "iIi-MARV-iIi"

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE (onedude @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 12:40 PM)
what other games you got?

Right now I have Fallout 3, Resistance: Fall of Man, Socom: Confrontation, MGS4, MLB The Show 08, Oblvion, Little Big Planet, and Guitar Hero III. Soon will add Killzone 2 and The Show 09.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 02:30 PM)
Right now I have Fallout 3, Resistance: Fall of Man, Socom: Confrontation, MGS4, MLB The Show 08, Oblvion, Little Big Planet, and Guitar Hero III. Soon will add Killzone 2 and The Show 09.

Being such a boxing fan, I'm surprised to see no Fight Night in there. I'm not a big fan of the sport, but that game is freaking awesome. Is it not on PS3?

Of course, as an enthusiast you might not like the fact that most of the fights are made to end in the 3rd or 4th round via knockout. I'd be interested to hear your opinion on that game.

Edited by Steve9347