Video Game Catch-All Thread

Chisoxfn

So, I'm a month or two late on this, but I played Fallout 3 for the first time this last week. Prolly put a good 6-7 hours into it.

My review: epic fail. I dunno how people give this game a 6 or 7, let alone a 10 score.

To spawn a debate, my issues include, but are not limited to:

1) awful set up. no tutorial, no guide, no help in figuring out what's important and whats not. For example, does it really matter if you act like a jerk to people? Will that come back to bite you in the ass? Are you going to drop 60 hours only to find out that you've screwed yourself in the first 10 minutes? Who knows, because the game doesn't tell you.

2) terrible map/travel mechanics. I spent a solid 45 minutes trying to get from point A to point B, only I couldn't because every street is blocked. Luckily I eventually fell into the subway station and found out that was my path.

3) fighting mechanics blow. I knew this going in, since it was my biggest complaint with Oblivion, but it's really frustrating to hit a guy like 5 times in the head, but he still manages (within the time of getting one shot off) to be all over you, smacking the crap out of you. Or for the matter, the fact that a little bug can take about 6 shots but you can only take 4. I ended up using a mini-nuke gun just so i didn't die.

4) f***ing raiders. I couldn't go anywhere without dying since there's no run or crouch or hide option. I basically just zig-zaged my ass from place to place so i wouldn't die. Despite talking with 50 people, not one of them said "hey dont go out at night or the raiders will kill you"

5) the fact that they give you quests you are unable to accomplish. immediately upon exiting the bunker you travel to megaton, where the first guy tells you to deactivate the bomb, only you can't, because you don't have an explosive xp pts yet. what's the point of this? Why force you to accept that first quest without any way to actually complete it?

I'm sure I'll think of more. I'm happy I borrowed the game before I bought it.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 01:16 PM)
Did you see anything regarding this? I checked gamespot and all they have is the first press conference breakdown

It wasn't too much. Zelda Wii was announced and some artwork shown and they said they hoped for a formal unveiling at next year's e3. Then they played through the two Marios, Wii Sports Resort 2, and Zelda DS.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 12:43 PM)
So, I'm a month or two late on this, but I played Fallout 3 for the first time this last week. Prolly put a good 6-7 hours into it.

My review: epic fail. I dunno how people give this game a 6 or 7, let alone a 10 score.

To spawn a debate, my issues include, but are not limited to:

1) awful set up. no tutorial, no guide, no help in figuring out what's important and whats not. For example, does it really matter if you act like a jerk to people? Will that come back to bite you in the ass? Are you going to drop 60 hours only to find out that you've screwed yourself in the first 10 minutes? Who knows, because the game doesn't tell you.

2) terrible map/travel mechanics. I spent a solid 45 minutes trying to get from point A to point B, only I couldn't because every street is blocked. Luckily I eventually fell into the subway station and found out that was my path.

3) fighting mechanics blow. I knew this going in, since it was my biggest complaint with Oblivion, but it's really frustrating to hit a guy like 5 times in the head, but he still manages (within the time of getting one shot off) to be all over you, smacking the crap out of you. Or for the matter, the fact that a little bug can take about 6 shots but you can only take 4. I ended up using a mini-nuke gun just so i didn't die.

4) f***ing raiders. I couldn't go anywhere without dying since there's no run or crouch or hide option. I basically just zig-zaged my ass from place to place so i wouldn't die. Despite talking with 50 people, not one of them said "hey dont go out at night or the raiders will kill you"

5) the fact that they give you quests you are unable to accomplish. immediately upon exiting the bunker you travel to megaton, where the first guy tells you to deactivate the bomb, only you can't, because you don't have an explosive xp pts yet. what's the point of this? Why force you to accept that first quest without any way to actually complete it?

I'm sure I'll think of more. I'm happy I borrowed the game before I bought it.

These are odd complaints, so I'll defend them.

1. There was no tutorial in Oblivion, either. I don't recall tutorials in any RPG's, except maybe how a materia system might work (Final Fantasy). That's kind of the fun of an RPG, figuring out what you need and what you don't need. Also, the game has different endings, such. If you're a jerk to people, that will show when people are jerks to you and you have to kill them to get what you need, instead of asking them if you are a nice character. If you blow up Megaton, the city is no longer there. Neither are its resources. But it opens different paths to different items, and different people, etc. If you don't, same case.

2. It is a post apocalyptic world. It shouldn't be easy to get around. And RPG's are often hailed for giant, open world maps. 45 minutes to get from one end of the world to the other isn't all that much. Especially when you can fast travel to towns you've already been to.

3. The fighting mechanics aren't my favorite, either. But I don't know why it is odd to you that a bug can strike you 6 times to your 4. For one, the bug probably does less damage, and two, it forces you to fight it in different ways, adding variance to what you're doing. If they allowed the player to fight every enemy the same way, the fighting system would carry that much more flaw. I enjoy this type of thing, and wish it varied even more and forced me to think outside the box more, or gather certain items to take down certain enemies. I'd have been much more pleased with the overall fighting mechanics in that way.

4. I never had a problem getting around at night. There is a crouch button. And look at the reticule when you are moving around. It changes shape slightly when enemies are near by.

5. Every quest has an end. Sometimes you'll have to level up to finish it, but it is something to strive for. I believe they tell you to disarm the bomb, but tell you that you need more exp. as a means to get you started off on something, rather than wandering the map with no real idea where to go.

Edited by BobDylan

my responses:

1. There was no tutorial in Oblivion, either. I don't recall tutorials in any RPG's, except maybe how a materia system might work (Final Fantasy). That's kind of the fun of an RPG, figuring out what you need and what you don't need. Also, the game has different endings, such. If you're a jerk to people, that will show when people are jerks to you and you have to kill them to get what you need, instead of asking them if you are a nice character. If you blow up Megaton, the city is no longer there. Neither are its resources. But it opens different paths to different items, and different people, etc. If you don't, same case.

I don't expect there to be a tutorial for the whole game - obviously the big draw to these types of games is the epic scale of it all. But other games (WoW for instance) does a really good job of forcing you to do things in the beginning which will teach you the basic skills needed to play the game. I felt like Fallout gave you absolutely no direction at all. You're thrown into a world, you're asked to pick between different skills sets you know nothing about, and to do things you simply don't know how to do. It was incredibly frustrating.

2. It is a post apocalyptic world. It shouldn't be easy to get around. And RPG's are often hailed for giant, open world maps. 45 minutes to get from one end of the world to the other isn't all that much. Especially when you can fast travel to towns you've already been to.

Right, and I would agree to a point. But my issues weren't long distances, but rather short distances. Getting to the Radio headquarters was a trick, but the worst was getting from the Radio headquarters down to the Washington monument. The maps were worthless in helping me get there.

3. The fighting mechanics aren't my favorite, either. But I don't know why it is odd to you that a bug can strike you 6 times to your 4. For one, the bug probably does less damage, and two, it forces you to fight it in different ways, adding variance to what you're doing. If they allowed the player to fight every enemy the same way, the fighting system would carry that much more flaw. I enjoy this type of thing, and wish it varied even more and forced me to think outside the box more, or gather certain items to take down certain enemies. I'd have been much more pleased with the overall fighting mechanics in that way.

I miswrote that - the bug seemed to kill me in less shots than it took me to kill it. So reverse those numbers. In any event I wasn't so upset with the relative weakness of me versus these beasts, but instead of the fact that hitting them does absolutely nothing to stop them. I thought that was the big draw to the automatic aiming system, but it wasn't. I kept damaging super infected humans (or whatever they were called) in the leg, but it just damaged it, despite the fact i was using a high powered rifle which should have taken it clean off. I dunno, i'm sounding like i'm upset about the realism of it all but that's not my main beef. It's with the inability to effectively fight in a "reasonable" and "fair" way.

4. I never had a problem getting around at night. There is a crouch button. And look at the reticule when you are moving around. It changes shape slightly when enemies are near by.

i never found the crouch button, but the raiders were everywhere. going to the radio headquarters i was killed at least 5 times.

5. Every quest has an end. Sometimes you'll have to level up to finish it, but it is something to strive for. I believe they tell you to disarm the bomb, but tell you that you need more exp. as a means to get you started off on something, rather than wandering the map with no real idea where to go.

I think it's fine not being able to finish a quest at the time you pick it up. But on the very first quest of the game that they more or less forced you to take? That's a bit ridiculous.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 01:34 PM)
my responses:

I don't expect there to be a tutorial for the whole game - obviously the big draw to these types of games is the epic scale of it all. But other games (WoW for instance) does a really good job of forcing you to do things in the beginning which will teach you the basic skills needed to play the game. I felt like Fallout gave you absolutely no direction at all. You're thrown into a world, you're asked to pick between different skills sets you know nothing about, and to do things you simply don't know how to do. It was incredibly frustrating.

I thought there was a whole tutorial in the Vault when you start the game for basic controls? I was used to playing Oblivion, so I can't say that I remember any difficulty getting around at first.

Right, and I would agree to a point. But my issues weren't long distances, but rather short distances. Getting to the Radio headquarters was a trick, but the worst was getting from the Radio headquarters down to the Washington monument. The maps were worthless in helping me get there.

Anything in DC proper is blocked off. You have to take the subways in and out and to get to different sections. It took me a while to realize that, too, and yes, it was annoying. The rest of the map (basically anything west of the Potomac) is free to explore.

I miswrote that - the bug seemed to kill me in less shots than it took me to kill it. So reverse those numbers. In any event I wasn't so upset with the relative weakness of me versus these beasts, but instead of the fact that hitting them does absolutely nothing to stop them. I thought that was the big draw to the automatic aiming system, but it wasn't. I kept damaging super infected humans (or whatever they were called) in the leg, but it just damaged it, despite the fact i was using a high powered rifle which should have taken it clean off. I dunno, i'm sounding like i'm upset about the realism of it all but that's not my main beef. It's with the inability to effectively fight in a "reasonable" and "fair" way.

Once its crippled its less effective. They can't run with crippled legs, can't aim well with crippled arms, etc.

i never found the crouch button, but the raiders were everywhere. going to the radio headquarters i was killed at least 5 times.

I remember being over-matched at first as well (though I ignored the main quest entirely until I had done everything else). By the end , you'll be able to mow down pretty much anything you come across.

I think it's fine not being able to finish a quest at the time you pick it up. But on the very first quest of the game that they more or less forced you to take? That's a bit ridiculous.

There's at least one other quest that you can get in Megatown that you can complete right away (not in town, but with your current skill set).

One thing to keep in mind, if you're going to keep playing, is that visiting certain spots jumps the main storyline ahead. That happened to me a few times. You can find out what to avoid in various FAQ's.

Not being able to travel to locations without discovering them was pretty annoying but that's the standard for sandbox games. I was more annoyed by the world design, the stupid story and the completely meaningless karma system. I'm kind of surprised you got lost since there are big giant idiot indicators on the bottom of the screen that hold your hand through the entire game.

In other news, there's a demo for Overlord 2 up on XBL right now. I don't know if it's exclusive to gold members or not.

Been playing Red Faction: Guerrilla and I f***ing love it. Saints Row meets Total Recall. Campy 80s sci fi action flick with all the fun of a saint's row game (and none of the THUGLIFE s***)... demo is available so try it out before you buy.

PS - codes for map pack MAPMAYHEM and the golden hammer HARDHITTER

PPS - it is exclusive to gold members.

Edited by Nixon

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 07:38 PM)
9-9-09

The only game that really matters fro mthe only band that deserves the attention, comes out.

That is all.

Beatles Rock Band?

Miyamoto on Zelda Wii details:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/991/991714p1.html

"So we hope in the future to go ahead and work with people to again make games that are maybe more skewed toward an older audience or a more focused audience. "

" Well, the story setting for this Zelda is, of course, in a completely different era and Link is older than he was previously. More approaching adulthood. There is one hint. Maybe from the art work you can see that he's not holding a sword."

(on the story differering from TP:) " I can't go into details except to say that it's something completely different"

"When we are working on the plans for them, we are trying to come up with ways where we can satisfy our longtime fans and bring new players into the franchises as well. That's something we're always looking at. However, when I get involved in a title, I focus a lot on more experience and the more advanced gameplay elements. If I get into it, there's a tendency for difficulty levels to ramp up so that's something I really have to watch for myself to make sure that I don't do that."

Zelda without a sword would be interesting.

119q7nt.jpg

The chick is apparently the master sword incarnate. That should make for some rather interesting gameplay.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

Wow, an alternate badguy in Zelda? They dont like to do that too often. There are only two games I didnt finish(Majoras Mask and Twilight Princess due to time constraints), but Ganon(or Ganondorf) has been the main antogonist in every one. It will be surprising if there is a different one

I dont mind if he is the bad guy though, he is always a challenge. Its bowser that I would like to see go away

I dont believe that Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, had Ganon as a bad guy. While he was involved in the story line, Im pretty sure he was dead and the worry was hed be brought back to life. The last battle is not against Ganon and I cant recall him being a boss of any level.

Although I guess you could say that Ganon was still the antagonist as it was his followers who were up to no good.

was it Zelda II: The Adventure of Link that was actually a different game that Nintendo just replaced the main character with Link? I know that Super Mario 2 was like that(which is why the story and characters were just "out there"), I thought I read that Zelda II was a similar circumstance

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 10:58 AM)
was it Zelda II: The Adventure of Link that was actually a different game that Nintendo just replaced the main character with Link? I know that Super Mario 2 was like that(which is why the story and characters were just "out there"), I thought I read that Zelda II was a similar circumstance

Yes they introduced 2 new characters, Ozone and Turbo. I think the plot had something to do with preventing the bulldozing of a community center.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 11:02 AM)
Yes they introduced 2 new characters, Ozone and Turbo. I think the plot had something to do with preventing the bulldozing of a community center.

LOL, sometimes you are just "out there"

I dont know whether or not Zelda II was like that. Link needed to save Princess Zelda who was asleep or something. It was one of the hardest games that I played on NES.

Super Mario Brothers 2 was a dream sequence which is why there is no Bowser. Although you could play as 4 different characters which was cool.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 5, 2009 -> 01:44 PM)
I dont know whether or not Zelda II was like that. Link needed to save Princess Zelda who was asleep or something. It was one of the hardest games that I played on NES.

Super Mario Brothers 2 was a dream sequence which is why there is no Bowser. Although you could play as 4 different characters which was cool.

That game was a bastard. I wasn't able to beat it until I played it again on an emulator a year or two ago.

I still say The Wind Waker was the best Zelda game, followed closely by the first two. Ocarina of Time is very overrated. I couldn't stand the controls back then, and I really can't stand them now playing with the classic controller on the Wii.