Remember when BBTN was good?

it is really painful to watch now. Phillips is a complete train wreck on that show.

They did a segment last night where Kruk and Orel drafted 5 pitchers each from the starters of last night and tracked their progress. It was a lame concept, which was executed poorly, poorly edited and an all around nightmare. You get about 15 minutes of Yankees/Red Sox coverage and short highlights of the other games with gimmicky segments in between. Also, the addition of Dusty Baker sucks. He is as bad at commentating as he is at managing

I do agree that Web Gems are the only thing worthwhile on it. Also, I think Ravich is good, but is getting crap to work with

Edited by SoxFan562004

Heres a question for the people who live in the chicago area:

If you want to watch sox or overall baseball highlights for the night, do you turn on Comcast Sportsnite or ESPN BBTN?

Oh, and did Danks' ridiculous backhand grab make it on Web Gems last night?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 23, 2007 -> 12:54 PM)
Heres a question for the people who live in the chicago area:

If you want to watch sox or overall baseball highlights for the night, do you turn on Comcast Sportsnite or ESPN BBTN?

Oh, and did Danks' ridiculous backhand grab make it on Web Gems last night?

Yes, #2 I believe, the ending of the Angels/Tigers came had a great catch by O. Cabrera that was #1

ESPN News does a good job IMO, it covers a lot and is straightforward.

When Red Sox & Yankees are playing each other, there's really no point in watching it. You'd be lucky to see highlights of 5 other games after the in-depth, inside out, locker room interviews, ptich by pitch, inning by inning segments, analysis of the game. It's so intriguing. When Dice-K pitches, forget about it. BBTN is so biased it makes me sick.

In 2005, when there were days where I couldn't see the games, it proved darn useful, especially in the condensed version, because you get guaranteed highlights of your game within about 20 minutes.

I don't watch it very much these days I'm afraid, but I don't watch much tv these days anyway. Don't have time.

Even though he didn't seem to think much of the Sox, Harold Reynolds was really good on BBTN along with Kruk and Ravich. Those three had great chemistry. The show took a dump after he left, probably only partially due to him leaving and the rest attributable to the gimmicky crap, as somebody else already pointed out.

Ravech is great, but he looks annoyed most of the time. I don't know if Gammons is full strength yet after his stroke, but, Ravech, Gammons and Kruk would be a great team.

Also, I am growing fonder of Orestes Destrade. I think he's going to be excellent given time.

ESPN as a whole has gone downhill.

The programming in general blows. I am not sure if there was a shift in focus or what but it has become more tabloid across the board in recent years. It began when they had the original programming which was good (Earnhart, Knight, Alabama football) but the football series was a wreck. How about the Bonds reality series. The Dice-K and Clemens coverage are well over the top. When Clemens was returning to Houston this not nearly as publicized. I see the Boston and New York match-up coverage to a degree as they are worth watching but the coverage outside of the game can get outrageous.

The thing that irritates me is the coverage that they force for their programming. The NHL had the coverage on ESPN like the NBA does now. The NBA is covered on ESPN and ABC so the inundate the programming with NBA coverage and the NHL gets minimal coverage at best. Also if there is a program that they force on one network they put crap on the other (i.e. Figure Skating or Poker).

The personalities that they are giving more air time to on their shows are also geared toward the tabloid point of view. Mariotti, Michael Irvin, Steve Phillips, etc. I actually like the NBA analysis, Stephem Smith included. With ideas that are put out there to garner controversy rather than fact. Case in point Phillips stating Cliff was the best leftie in baseball at the start of last year. Kruk shakes his head and says Johan Santana, next subject. Phillips is a complete moron with a point of view that should not be allowed to be expressed. Charles Barley is incredibly entertaining and that is what ESPN is looking for, yet Barkley makes good sense.

I watch Comcast but they seem to be geared toward the cubs. I am not sure if that is the negative media thoughts I posess toward cub coverage or reality.

Putiing it best. After the cubs had struggled earlier this season and then rolled off 2 in a row, Linda Cohan states, "cubs back to their usual winning ways." Say what. ESPN creates thoughts about reality that they feel will get people to watch as oppossed to the reality of the situation.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ May 23, 2007 -> 01:23 PM)
ESPN as a whole has gone downhill.

The programming in general blows. I am not sure if there was a shift in focus or what but it has become more tabloid across the board in recent years. It began when they had the original programming which was good (Earnhart, Knight, Alabama football) but the football series was a wreck. How about the Bonds reality series. The Dice-K and Clemens coverage are well over the top. When Clemens was returning to Houston this not nearly as publicized. I see the Boston and New York match-up coverage to a degree as they are worth watching but the coverage outside of the game can get outrageous.

The thing that irritates me is the coverage that they force for their programming. The NHL had the coverage on ESPN like the NBA does now. The NBA is covered on ESPN and ABC so the inundate the programming with NBA coverage and the NHL gets minimal coverage at best. Also if there is a program that they force on one network they put crap on the other (i.e. Figure Skating or Poker).

The personalities that they are giving more air time to on their shows are also geared toward the tabloid point of view. Mariotti, Michael Irvin, Steve Phillips, etc. I actually like the NBA analysis, Stephem Smith included. With ideas that are put out there to garner controversy rather than fact. Case in point Phillips stating Cliff was the best leftie in baseball at the start of last year. Kruk shakes his head and says Johan Santana, next subject. Phillips is a complete moron with a point of view that should not be allowed to be expressed. Charles Barley is incredibly entertaining and that is what ESPN is looking for, yet Barkley makes good sense.

I watch Comcast but they seem to be geared toward the cubs. I am not sure if that is the negative media thoughts I posess toward cub coverage or reality.

Putiing it best. After the cubs had struggled earlier this season and then rolled off 2 in a row, Linda Cohan states, "cubs back to their usual winning ways." Say what. ESPN creates thoughts about reality that they feel will get people to watch as oppossed to the reality of the situation.

ESPN is turning into the sports equivalent of MTV. They are getting away from what made them successful...sports, smart commentary, sports, personalities that work well together, sports, fun.

When I watch the Sportscenters when they talk about the previous 25 years, folks like Bob Ley, Charlie Steiner, Dan Patrick, Kenny Mayne, Berman, Keith Olbermann, Tom Mees (RIP), etc. had fun. They would joke and were natural at their jobs. That's why I love listening to Kenny Mayne. He's ridiculous in a fun way and he knows it and he doesn't give a damn. They need to be more like they were before ABC bought them (or vice versa, I don't remember who bought who).

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ May 23, 2007 -> 01:23 PM)

I actually disagree with this. I feel like Comcast has made an active effort to favor the White Sox as far as coverage goes.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ May 23, 2007 -> 01:19 PM)
Ravech is great, but he looks annoyed most of the time. I don't know if Gammons is full strength yet after his stroke, but, Ravech, Gammons and Kruk would be a great team.

Also, I am growing fonder of Orestes Destrade. I think he's going to be excellent given time.

Kruk??? Are you kidding? He provides zero insight or analysis. I think he took the gig for the free food in the ESPN cafeteria.

I watch it for the highlights of all the games. I don't have a problem with any of the analysts really. Phillips get a little long winded at times though.

But yeah, when NY and Boston play, turn it on 15 minutes in.

some nights on Baseball Tonight, they dont even show all the teams that played. I have noticed it's usually Tampa Bay and Kansas City and whoever they are playing gets cut out of the show (even if it is an hour long) in favor of some of thier crap 'analysis' like 3 Up/3 Down

Grated, Tampa and KC dont deserve a lot of coverage, but they have some good players on the team and it would be nice to see their highlights

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ May 23, 2007 -> 01:40 PM)
Kruk??? Are you kidding? He provides zero insight or analysis. I think he took the gig for the free food in the ESPN cafeteria.

Yeah, because when Gammons is on...he's your insight. Kruk is fun. He has more insight than Steve Phillips and is only getting better.

But I have to say, the team of Fowler, Herbstreit and Corso is BY FAR the best on ESPN. OK, maybe Bucci and Melrose, but with hockey gone from ESPN, the Gameday crew is the best.