Rick Morrisey's Column

shawnhillegas

I hope that everyone on this board read Rick Morrisey's column today. It exposes all the absurdity that follows the "puritan commando" style of Jay Mariotti, and does so in a classy, yet critical way. It is the ultimate indictment of hyperbolic, holier-than-thou, emotional sportswriting. And it is beautiful.

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ May 23, 2007 -> 06:57 PM)
I hope that everyone on this board read Rick Morrisey's column today. It exposes all the absurdity that follows the "puritan commando" style of Jay Mariotti, and does so in a classy, yet critical way. It is the ultimate indictment of hyperbolic, holier-than-thou, emotional sportswriting. And it is beautiful.

Wow, funny story, I actually emailed him this afternoon telling how much I liked his column and he replied in about 5 min telling me thanks for the review.

He is a great columnist; Mariotti might be good nationally but if you read him often you come away

realizing he has no perspective.

His flip flopping is amateurish.

The worst ever was in a 7 day span calling Ben Wallace the darling of the city to basically calling

him crud that deserves to be traded or run out of town.

Great Trib columnist!

It was a fantastic article calling out the hypocrisy in sports writing. Everyone is now guilty until proven innocent.

That's usually what I think when I hear someone calling Ozzie out for his tirade or AJ b****ing about playing time or whatever...I would rather have a manager that backs his players and players that want to play every single day thinking they are giving their team a chance to win than wishy-washy players that are only playing for their next paycheck.

Maybe they are uncouth. Maybe they say stupid things. Maybe they say things in the wrong way. But again, as I said in another thread, that's what I like about the White Sox...that, to me at least, sums up the South Side of Chicago. You may not like what's being said, but it's the truth. You may not like the style, but it's 100% every time.

Thank you Rick Morrissey, thank you very much.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ May 24, 2007 -> 09:29 AM)
It was a fantastic article calling out the hypocrisy in sports writing. Everyone is now guilty until proven innocent.

That's usually what I think when I hear someone calling Ozzie out for his tirade or AJ b****ing about playing time or whatever...I would rather have a manager that backs his players and players that want to play every single day thinking they are giving their team a chance to win than wishy-washy players that are only playing for their next paycheck.

Maybe they are uncouth. Maybe they say stupid things. Maybe they say things in the wrong way. But again, as I said in another thread, that's what I like about the White Sox...that, to me at least, sums up the South Side of Chicago. You may not like what's being said, but it's the truth. You may not like the style, but it's 100% every time.

Thank you Rick Morrissey, thank you very much.

Seriously, email him and tell him that. He is very responsive, which is a good quality in a journalist IMO.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 24, 2007 -> 09:42 AM)
Seriously, email him and tell him that. He is very responsive, which is a good quality in a journalist IMO.

Alrighty then...I will.

Can I have a date with your avatar then?

Rawr.

QUOTE(bmags @ May 24, 2007 -> 10:20 AM)
rick usuallly replies with a "thank you", but Phil Rogers has been so great in emails I've sent him. Big fan of phil.

I agree. Its funny because I havent ever had a single reply from Mariotti, and I have written to him respectfully several times.

QUOTE(Shamrock4Life @ May 24, 2007 -> 12:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
rick is ok, but not great. pretty good read and he even took a shot at ozzie in there, thats how i read it at least. unless jay made some comment about a 19 year old that i don't know about.

What quote are you talking about in the article? A 19 year old?

I know what Morissey is getting at here, but there is one thing that is bothering me about this. Some of the things that he is talking about, are things that deserve attention. For instance, tell me if you punch a co-worker at any other job, would you still be around? Hell no. Why are baseball players special? Its one thing to get on them for what they say, but is quite acceptable for what they do. Its the samething for "youthful indiscressions". How many of you have jobs where you could get busted for using speed on the job, and they wouldn't say or do anything about it, and in fact not tell anyone about your crime? How many jobs could you threaten your wife and kids lives, and they would just make you have a paid suspension? Please.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 24, 2007 -> 06:36 PM)
I know what Morissey is getting at here, but there is one thing that is bothering me about this. Some of the things that he is talking about, are things that deserve attention. For instance, tell me if you punch a co-worker at any other job, would you still be around? Hell no. Why are baseball players special? Its one thing to get on them for what they say, but is quite acceptable for what they do. Its the samething for "youthful indiscressions". How many of you have jobs where you could get busted for using speed on the job, and they wouldn't say or do anything about it, and in fact not tell anyone about your crime? How many jobs could you threaten your wife and kids lives, and they would just make you have a paid suspension? Please.

How many jobs could the manager of the organization call someone a f*g or swear on live radio and still have their job?

It depends on the job, that is his point. When I drove a fork lift, it was a whole different atmosphere than white collar work. Sports are as blue collar a mentality as there is.

F** was a nice word compared to the other things you could be called.

Also how many jobs require 25 men about the same age to esentially live with one another for 9 months.

The point is sports figures are not role models and do nothing to help socity other than what society chooses to take from them.

They are combative by nature that is what makes them successful. Jay and the rest want them to be passive, that is not an option. There needs to be a middle ground and it will find itself as the Pac Man Jones and Elijah Dukes should find out.

To think AJ and Buerhle can not handle their situation or Guillen shouldn't swear is silly to me and not very newsworthy.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 24, 2007 -> 12:06 PM)
How many jobs could the manager of the organization call someone a f*g or swear on live radio and still have their job?

Hence the point of Morrissey's column. Baseball is one of the few places where men can still be men. Even immature men.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 24, 2007 -> 02:06 PM)

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 24, 2007 -> 02:11 PM)
Exactly.

But a 9-to-5 job doesn't seem to be the best comparison here. Sports are a business, yes, but one of entertainment. Steven Spielberg could call up a radio station and swear at the host and not get fired (I use Spielberg because of name recognition).