Weightlifting Tips?

maggsmaggs

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ May 24, 2007 -> 11:45 AM)
something that is overlooked is sleep. You can workout and eat all the protein you want, but if you don't get enough sleep your body is not going to properly recover

Amen and something as simple as a daily multi vitamin in addition to everything else does wonders.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ May 23, 2007 -> 08:47 PM)
So this summer I decided that I would ldo some serious lifting. I know the basics, but what some good tips to get stronger? Good excersises? Supplements? I have heard about Whey protein, is it safe? Food choices? Give me some pointers here.

The forums at Men's Health have just about every subject from training to cardio to diet to specific workouts that you could ever need. I would suggest browsing around over there.

Without knowing much about you, it's impossible to tell you how to lift weights. Period.

First off, if you're doing track, lifting heavy weight will increase power but possibly slow you down depending on how much mass you gain, more weight to carry around added to the natural loss of flexibility in increasing muscle mass. Ever see a weight-lifter body type on a track star? I think not. :D You should lift weight to you're focus, and if you're focus is track, tacking on a bunch of muscle mass isn't what you should be looking to do.

Second, you have to experiment to find the diet that YOUR body responds too best, not what somebody else had success with. I've been lifting well over 8 years and I've experimented with low to no fat diets, high protein, zero carb after 6pm, etc...and then I've done the opposite, high fat, eat anything I want whenever I want. My results were merely a little extra bodyfat, but other than that, nothing...no slugishness, no loss of power or muscle, etc.

Third, what kind of bodytype do you have? (Endo/Ecto/Meso) Judging by your height/weight, I'm going to go ahead and guess you're a ectomorph -- which means you're a naturally slim person and no matter what people sell you, you'll have a harder time gaining muscle than other body types.

I'm a mesomorph -- which is a naturally musclular body style. An example of what I was talking about above is my friend (my workout partner) is an ectomorph, and I can do half the work as him in the gym and see 2x the results. That's merely genetics. Not everyone can get that bodybuilder look -- unless they cheat. And I'm talking about no extra protein for me, while he takes in 1.5x his bodyweight and my results are still far greater.

Then there is the endomorph -- naturally hefty people. These are the natural power lifters, huge mass, but they have a very hard time keeping a V shaped body -- usually they're more squareish.

Anyone not knowing your bodystyle that tells you how to work out -- needs to learn a bit about working out themselves. Everyone is different genetically, and not knowing how someone elses body responds to lifting, diet, etc...and giving them advice on what to eat or how to lift is something I wouldn't do, nor recommend listening too.

The only safe advice for a new lifter is use assist machines (hammer strength, nautalis, etc.) as these machines keep your form perfect. Another poster said work on core strength, also a good idea. And ALWAYS be extra extra careful while working on your lower back! Stay away from freeweights until you get enough strength built up to control them -- they're dangerous for newbies because they require a lot of secondary muscle balance -- and keep that in mind no matter what bs someone tries to sell you on freeweights vs machines. To start, use machines if you have them available.

Also, don't try to lift what others are lifting. Naturally big people can naturally move more weight. For example, my friend is 225lbs, and can bench 225lbs without ever working out. Throw a 135lb guy on the bench who never works out and he's going to crush himself trying to lift that. Don't worry about what others are doing, the biggest mistake people make in the gym is making it into a contest -- and that usually results in assanine injuries.

Edited by Y2HH

First off, if you're doing track, lifting heavy weight will increase power but possibly slow you down depending on how much mass you gain, more weight to carry around added to the natural loss of flexibility in increasing muscle mass. Ever see a weight-lifter body type on a track star? I think not. You should lift weight to you're focus, and if you're focus is track, tacking on a bunch of muscle mass isn't what you should be looking to do.

You make some good points, but I have to disagree with a few. Weights are one of the few ways you can actually improve your quickness and speed. Sprinters lift heavy weights in short durations to improve their burst while distance runners lift lower weights with more repetitions to improve stamina. No, having a bodybuilders physique is not good for any athlete, but you can have a ripped body as long as you implement stretching and flexibility with your repetitions.

As for free weights, it's a great way to build up muscles in your body that wouldn't be normally worked by machines. There's no need to start out with heavy free weights to hurt yourself, start out with something easier like 5-10 pounds and build from there. There's nothing wrong with machine weights to supplement your routine either, I'm not saying that. But as others have said, learn the proper technique for each motion, not only for safety, but also the proper technique will help you gain muscle and burn fat quicker.

Also, stay away from Trans fats as much as possible, and Polysaturated fats can actually be good for your muscle growth as odd as that sounds.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ May 25, 2007 -> 11:05 AM)
You make some good points, but I have to disagree with a few. Weights are one of the few ways you can actually improve your quickness and speed. Sprinters lift heavy weights in short durations to improve their burst while distance runners lift lower weights with more repetitions to improve stamina. No, having a bodybuilders physique is not good for any athlete, but you can have a ripped body as long as you implement stretching and flexibility with your repetitions.

As for free weights, it's a great way to build up muscles in your body that wouldn't be normally worked by machines. There's no need to start out with heavy free weights to hurt yourself, start out with something easier like 5-10 pounds and build from there. There's nothing wrong with machine weights to supplement your routine either, I'm not saying that. But as others have said, learn the proper technique for each motion, not only for safety, but also the proper technique will help you gain muscle and burn fat quicker.

Also, stay away from Trans fats as much as possible, and Polysaturated fats can actually be good for your muscle growth as odd as that sounds.

Excellent points. From personal experience, people in the gym get into a very competitive mindset. When the guy next to the beginner is lifting heavier weights, they naturally want to try to do that, too, even knowing they shouldn't. In my years going to the gym, another observation of mine, and tell me if you've noticed the same, 90% of the people lifting have no idea what they're doing, though if you asked them about something, they'd swear it's the proper way. It took me quite a few years to realize my own mistakes, and make major and minor form changes, and that's WITH reading numerous books and magazines on the subject. I'm a big believer in the negative and I feel the negative is what shows pure strength. Don't show me what you can lift, but show me what you can control with a slow negative.

For example, I see people wide-lat pulling 250 pounds on the cable machines with their improper cheat form (which allows for greater weight), but these same people can't do one wide armed pullup. Lat pulldowns show me how well a person can cheat, while pullups show me how strong their backs actually are. To use a Hawkism here, show me a guy who cheats with back exercises, and I'll show you a guy with big arms. ;)

I'm a pretty fast runner myself, not a super fast sprinter or anything, but I did mark a 4.18 (margin of error could make that 4.25 or so) from home to first...but I'm sure to some around here that's slow. :D That said, I've never really done anything to become fast -- I always just was, and when I did try to use weightlifting to improve my speed further, I found it actually slowed me down. That's why I say it depends on the individual persons bodytype/genetics in response to conditioning.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE(Y2HH @ May 25, 2007 -> 08:01 AM)
Also, don't try to lift what others are lifting. Naturally big people can naturally move more weight. For example, my friend is 225lbs, and can bench 225lbs without ever working out. Throw a 135lb guy on the bench who never works out and he's going to crush himself trying to lift that. Don't worry about what others are doing, the biggest mistake people make in the gym is making it into a contest -- and that usually results in assanine injuries.

My friend gave me the best advice in regards to this when I first started lifting. He said, "Lift the weight, not your ego" :D

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ May 25, 2007 -> 01:19 PM)
My friend gave me the best advice in regards to this when I first started lifting. He said, "Lift the weight, not your ego" :D

Some of the best advice. I have been doing alot of free weights lately to tone up and work on my stablizing muscles, so obviously my dumbbell bench wont be as heavy as my barbell. But I see these guys doing curls, incline etc and just having the worst form ive ever seen. I always thought that 8-10 perfect reps work you more than 15 of the poorest reps you can do. Its better to feel the improvements and the resistance yourself than try and be the guy who picks up the biggest weight.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 25, 2007 -> 01:55 PM)
Some of the best advice. I have been doing alot of free weights lately to tone up and work on my stablizing muscles, so obviously my dumbbell bench wont be as heavy as my barbell. But I see these guys doing curls, incline etc and just having the worst form ive ever seen. I always thought that 8-10 perfect reps work you more than 15 of the poorest reps you can do. Its better to feel the improvements and the resistance yourself than try and be the guy who picks up the biggest weight.

Rock, I've found that 6-8 reps on curls are more than enough. The bicep is a very small muscle, which people tend to overwork, so 6-8 solid reps using a slow negative is the best way to maximize your workout.

Also, the best advice I can give anyone to maximize any workout, is to visualize your muscle sans skin. Think of the human body without any skin on it -- and visualize THAT muscle doing the bulk of the lift...sounds absurd, but try it, you'll find it penetrates deeper into the muscle because you're brain tends to force your assist muscles to overcompensate at almost all times to perform the desired action. Visualize the lone muscle helps keep the focus on that muscle alone.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 25, 2007 -> 01:55 PM)

Inclined dumbell is a great exercise, I really feel the isolation on that one.

Also, if you've been working out dilligently for a month or so and one week your body just doesn't feel up to working out, LISTEN TO IT!!! Take the whole week off or cut it down to 2 actual days and a day of hitting all the muscle groups with little weight, just to do the form.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ May 25, 2007 -> 05:05 PM)
Inclined dumbell is a great exercise, I really feel the isolation on that one.

Also, if you've been working out dilligently for a month or so and one week your body just doesn't feel up to working out, LISTEN TO IT!!! Take the whole week off or cut it down to 2 actual days and a day of hitting all the muscle groups with little weight, just to do the form.

Great tips. Yeah I do different groups on different days and on my chest/tri days I LOVE doing incline and decline dumbells. Its good to stay to a routine sometimes, but its always good to find a new one. Running, maybe playing bball, soccer, swimming, mixed with free weights and machines, will really help you round out your body without blowing out certain muscle groups. And i cannot stress working the core enough.

Sorry, but while there's great advice flying around, I'm gonna hijack this thread and ask another workout question.

I have decent size shoulders and chest but HUGE triceps. It seems that on a lot of chest and shoulder exercises, like flat bench, incline bench and military presses, it's my tris that are doing the majority of the work and thus the difference in size. I've tried barbells, dumbells, machines and different grips and form and nothing seems to work.

Any advice??

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 30, 2007 -> 12:20 PM)
Sorry, but while there's great advice flying around, I'm gonna hijack this thread and ask another workout question.

I have decent size shoulders and chest but HUGE triceps. It seems that on a lot of chest and shoulder exercises, like flat bench, incline bench and military presses, it's my tris that are doing the majority of the work and thus the difference in size. I've tried barbells, dumbells, machines and different grips and form and nothing seems to work.

Any advice??

Do some exercises that isolate your shoulders and chest, and when you do stuff that works both go lighter and do more reps.

Some good stuff for chest is cable flies and even decline doesnt hit your tries that much. For your shoulders try doing some front and side raises or upright rows. Also, do some straight bar benching but with a really wide grip. The closer together your hands are the more it works your tris.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ May 30, 2007 -> 12:50 PM)
Do some exercises that isolate your shoulders and chest, and when you do stuff that works both go lighter and do more reps.

Some good stuff for chest is cable flies and even decline doesnt hit your tries that much. For your shoulders try doing some front and side raises or upright rows. Also, do some straight bar benching but with a really wide grip. The closer together your hands are the more it works your tris.

I've always heard that isolation type exercises like the ones you're describing are mostly for shaping and definition, but won't give you much gains in size. Not true?

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 30, 2007 -> 01:54 PM)
I've always heard that isolation type exercises like the ones you're describing are mostly for shaping and definition, but won't give you much gains in size. Not true?

Generally thats true in comparison to stuff like military press and benching but it seems when youre lifting your tris are carrying the bulk of the load and doing that stuff is a good way to strengthen your other muscles and stabilizers so when you want to increase in weight and use proper form youre shoulders and chest are your primary muscles and your tris are secondary instead of the other way around.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 30, 2007 -> 01:54 PM)

Depends on the excercise. The raises can do that, but also increase the size of certain muscle groups that you havent been utilizing at all, which in turn makes the whole area increase. Its really alot of trial and error. For my shoulders and neck I have been just using the cables and lifting from my waist to my chin. Just using those muscles more has increase my shoulders and biceps somehow. Figure THAT out.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 30, 2007 -> 04:04 PM)
Depends on the excercise. The raises can do that, but also increase the size of certain muscle groups that you havent been utilizing at all, which in turn makes the whole area increase. Its really alot of trial and error. For my shoulders and neck I have been just using the cables and lifting from my waist to my chin. Just using those muscles more has increase my shoulders and biceps somehow. Figure THAT out.

It sounds like youre talking about upright rows. Those mainly work your traps, similar to shrugs. Based on the motion you can see how it would hit your biceps too.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ May 30, 2007 -> 10:50 AM)
Also, do some straight bar benching but with a really wide grip. The closer together your hands are the more it works your tris.

You know, I tried this today, and it really felt like it made a difference. Nicely done, thanks.

For the folks who were talking about lat pulldowns earlier, have any tips on technique for that? Alwasy wondered if i was doing those anywhere close to correct.

Arnold's Complete Guide To Modern Bodybuilding (or title is something similar) is an awesome book to have.

It talks a ton about world-class bodybuilding, but it has a ton of exercies and what they do, ie tone or build mass. even for people who work out once in awhile, it's a must have.

There's also a program out there called "Big Beyond Belief" it's reasonable to follow, and if you can't do it all out, it gives you good theories about how to work your muscles (link to Amazon below)

http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Belief-Effect...2370&sr=1-3

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 30, 2007 -> 10:33 PM)
You know, I tried this today, and it really felt like it made a difference. Nicely done, thanks.

For the folks who were talking about lat pulldowns earlier, have any tips on technique for that? Alwasy wondered if i was doing those anywhere close to correct.

Actually, if you want a good triceps workout do 3 sets of 10 skull crushers and after each set do close grip bench with the bar but push out and up from the bottom of your rib cage.. if you do it right, you'll feel it, it work really good

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 30, 2007 -> 10:33 PM)

There are a few different ways to do them properly, but I've heard from numerous people that one way you should NOT do them is to pull the bar behind your neck. Although you see it a lot, it is an unatural body movement and you risk injury. Same for behind neck barbell shoulder press.

Anyone have any insight to this?

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 31, 2007 -> 03:39 PM)
There are a few different ways to do them properly, but I've heard from numerous people that one way you should NOT do them is to pull the bar behind your neck. Although you see it a lot, it is an unatural body movement and you risk injury. Same for behind neck barbell shoulder press.

Anyone have any insight to this?

DO NOT pull it behind your neck. Slightly lean back, wide grip, bring bar to top of chest. Make sure elbows are pointed out to really blast your back.

QUOTE(Shadows @ May 31, 2007 -> 11:24 AM)
Actually, if you want a good triceps workout do 3 sets of 10 skull crushers and after each set do close grip bench with the bar but push out and up from the bottom of your rib cage.. if you do it right, you'll feel it, it work really good

thats a great tricep workout if you super set them, one of the best combos. Throw in some pushdowns and dips and thats a great tricep workout.

As far as lat pulldowns what everyone is saying is right, you dont wanna go behind your head, also make sure youre controlling the weight and its not jerking your arms as it goes back up. What I like to do when Im doing back is do regular lat pulldowns, then some type of seated row, then close grip lat pull downs with the smaller grips.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Jun 1, 2007 -> 09:47 PM)
thats a great tricep workout if you super set them, one of the best combos. Throw in some pushdowns and dips and thats a great tricep workout.

As far as lat pulldowns what everyone is saying is right, you dont wanna go behind your head, also make sure youre controlling the weight and its not jerking your arms as it goes back up. What I like to do when Im doing back is do regular lat pulldowns, then some type of seated row, then close grip lat pull downs with the smaller grips.

...and also do NOT cheat by using your body weight for momentum as you pull the bar down towards you. Controlled reps with strict form are always the best way to go.

What are some exercises that specifically target the rear shoulder head?? The few I've tried seem to work my upper back more than the shoulder itself.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 2, 2007 -> 12:32 PM)
...and also do NOT cheat by using your body weight for momentum as you pull the bar down towards you. Controlled reps with strict form are always the best way to go.

What are some exercises that specifically target the rear shoulder head?? The few I've tried seem to work my upper back more than the shoulder itself.

the best I can think of is to sit in the fly machine backwards and keep your arms bent. I normally do those on shoulders day. If you do it with your arms locked it only works your back though.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Jun 2, 2007 -> 05:27 PM)
the best I can think of is to sit in the fly machine backwards and keep your arms bent. I normally do those on shoulders day. If you do it with your arms locked it only works your back though.

Yep. That's pretty much the only one I do. There don't seem to be many options, it's a tough muscle to isolate and really pound on.

Thx