Cincinnati Reds

southsideirish

QUOTE(southsideirish @ May 24, 2007 -> 11:32 PM)
Gotham Baseball has a rumor about certain Reds players being available since they are 10 games under .500 and 10 games out of first in the Central. Ryan Freel would look great leading off and playing LF for the Sox.

Gotham Baseball Link

Opinions?

Dunn or Griffey are the only realistic names, and those would mostly be salary dumps, although I think Griffey would be the wiser move, since he could play LF or CF.

Dunn is essentially a DH playing LF.

Freel, or any young player in the first 3-5 years of his career, is going to be prohibitively expensive to acquire.

I would love to have Juan Castro as a defensive replacement, but we're locked in with Cintron, Pods and Hall on the most expensive bench in baseball. And Jeff Conine would be another possibility for the OF, but I don't see how he's a clear upgrade over our LF platoon right now.

Homer Bailey please. :D

You know Krivsky loves his defensive players and lots and lots of pitching.

Joe Crede would actually be an interesting name to consider here. Edwin Encarnacion has been down in AAA for a while, and they wouldn't have to use Freel at 3rd base for cover. So I could see them having an interest in Joe if he was made available for trade.

Griffey's obviously the major candidate when you're looking at the Reds roster. I wonder if they'd also think about Todd Coffey as well, considering he just got demoted to AAA because they've overworked him so much (great bullpen management by Jerry Narron here).

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 25, 2007 -> 09:33 AM)
Homer Bailey please. :D

You know Krivsky loves his defensive players and lots and lots of pitching.

Joe Crede would actually be an interesting name to consider here. Edwin Encarnacion has been down in AAA for a while, and they wouldn't have to use Freel at 3rd base for cover. So I could see them having an interest in Joe if he was made available for trade.

Griffey's obviously the major candidate when you're looking at the Reds roster. I wonder if they'd also think about Todd Coffey as well, considering he just got demoted to AAA because they've overworked him so much (great bullpen management by Jerry Narron here).

Homer Bailey is as untouable as you can get. Didn't the Reds have the last Homer, no not Hawk Harrelson, Homer Bush. It would take to get Bailey the same as it would to get Crawford.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ May 26, 2007 -> 12:41 AM)
Homer Bailey is as untouable as you can get. Didn't the Reds have the last Homer, no not Hawk Harrelson, Homer Bush. It would take to get Bailey the same as it would to get Crawford.

Actually I think it would probably cost more to get Bailey than Crawford. He'll be a stud power pitcher, and he should be the Reds main "untouchable" player right now.

I was being sarcastic when I suggested him (or just pipedreaming). :)

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 25, 2007 -> 09:52 AM)
Actually I think it would probably cost more to get Bailey than Crawford. He'll be a stud power pitcher, and he should be the Reds main "untouchable" player right now.

I was being sarcastic when I suggested him (or just pipedreaming). :)

I know I just like to talk about Homer's whenever possible.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ May 25, 2007 -> 10:00 AM)
We have lots of young pitching just sitting in the minors, time to trade it before it gets exposed any more! Freel would be fine, and probably could be had, but Griffey might be the easiest to get.

It's going to take more than Phillips, Broadway, Haeger or McCullough to get Freel.

They would ask for Russell or Gio WITH Faustino De Los Santos.

Ok - I ask for transporation questions and my favorite team is already on a fire sale????? :D

Lots of thoughts -

- Thanks for asking, but Homer's gonna be starting in Cincy by July 4th.

- You could probably have Griffey

- You might be able to get Dunn, since Jerry Narron's an idiot.

- I'll pass on Crede. If Encarnacion could hit, he wouldn't have been sent down. He was hit-unlucky and in pressing he started wailing away. There are times now that he's been looking better with plate discipline.

- You may have any reliever named Stanton and Weathers.

I don't think Wayne Krivsky has officially embraced the Twins philosophy because he's relying on too many vets. If he had the Twins philosophy, he'd be running kids out there.

Thanks for the transportation info in the other thread. I like going to Sox games, but the last couple of years has been a pain to get there.

QUOTE(Heath @ May 25, 2007 -> 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok - I ask for transporation questions and my favorite team is already on a fire sale????? :D

Lots of thoughts -

- Thanks for asking, but Homer's gonna be starting in Cincy by July 4th.

- You could probably have Griffey

- You might be able to get Dunn, since Jerry Narron's an idiot.

- I'll pass on Crede. If Encarnacion could hit, he wouldn't have been sent down. He was hit-unlucky and in pressing he started wailing away. There are times now that he's been looking better with plate discipline.

- You may have any reliever named Stanton and Weathers.

I don't think Wayne Krivsky has officially embraced the Twins philosophy because he's relying on too many vets. If he had the Twins philosophy, he'd be running kids out there.

Thanks for the transportation info in the other thread. I like going to Sox games, but the last couple of years has been a pain to get there.

Heath, agree with your assesments, Reds wouldn't want Crede as they are trying to build something long term and I don't think Krivsky is anxious to add Boras clients.

There could be a match w/the White Sox though if Williams is willing to trade young pitching, that's what Krivsky wants. In another month things will become clearer.

To me these are the untouchables. Only if you are absolutely blown away you deal them.

I would keep De La Santos, Gio, Egg, and Russell as near untouchables. From the hitting side, Cunningham, Sweeney, and Fields.

Here are 2 pitchers that are just about ready. And someone might want to plug them in if they wanted to go younger, and cheaper.

Haeger, Broadway.

To sustain winning on the Southside, these electric arms that I have mentioned are necessary. You have 1 sinkerballer, and 3 power arms. Unless a Crawford is coming back, I wouldnt move any of the electric guys. You can add outfielders through FA. You can get position players through FA. You cannot in this overpriced market get anything real good in the SP unless you pay a bazillion dollars.

SP is way to valuable in the long run to this team. Finally we get some guys that miss bats more, I dont want to see them go. Broadway was drafted to be traded.

Also consider Williams Wilder Hahn and co. love ground ball pitchers due to U.S. Cell being a launching pad. Who do the Sox have in AAA and AA etc. throwing lots of ground balls, Egbert and Russell come to mind. Which to me says they will resist trading them.

However we are talking Ken Williams here. Anything can happen if he has his sights on a certain player.

Take for example the Reds as their park is a launching pad too so Krivsky prob. wants the same guys Sox brass wants to keep.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ May 25, 2007 -> 07:34 AM)
Dunn or Griffey are the only realistic names, and those would mostly be salary dumps, although I think Griffey would be the wiser move, since he could play LF or CF.

Dunn is essentially a DH playing LF.

Freel, or any young player in the first 3-5 years of his career, is going to be prohibitively expensive to acquire.

I would love to have Juan Castro as a defensive replacement, but we're locked in with Cintron, Pods and Hall on the most expensive bench in baseball. And Jeff Conine would be another possibility for the OF, but I don't see how he's a clear upgrade over our LF platoon right now.

Freel has been in the league (officially, he was up with the blue jays in 2001) 6 years and he is 31 years old. I think he might be available, I dont see how he would be prohibitively expensive. The Reds need arms, not to stockpile aging utility players

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 25, 2007 -> 11:45 AM)
Freel makes $2.325M this year, $3M next and $4M in '09. And since I feel obligated to mention it in any Freel thread the guy has had multiple DUI's, has had some drug problems and is completely insane.

But he can hit! And play multiple positions! :D

KW is good at getting money thrown in on deals, if the Reds are wheeling and dealing Im sure KW will have his ears perked

SI had this nugget, Here we go again!

4. Ken Griffey Jr. to the White Sox

Griffey hasn't shown any willingness to go to New York when the opportunity has arisen. But maybe Chicago's more to his liking. It's a nice city with a nice team that still should have a chance, something that has eluded the Reds regularly. It's finally time to thrown in the towel on the great Griffey trade to his hometown team, an annual albatross for the also-running Reds.

The White Sox have been hurt by the injury to Jim Thome and could use the left-handed power Griffey provides. Griffey (eight homers, 26 RBIs, .297) is having a fine year. But he'd be much better off having the DH option, which could limit his own well-known propensity for pain.

QUOTE(Soxfest @ May 25, 2007 -> 11:56 AM)
SI had this nugget, Here we go again!

4. Ken Griffey Jr. to the White Sox

Griffey hasn't shown any willingness to go to New York when the opportunity has arisen. But maybe Chicago's more to his liking. It's a nice city with a nice team that still should have a chance, something that has eluded the Reds regularly. It's finally time to thrown in the towel on the great Griffey trade to his hometown team, an annual albatross for the also-running Reds.

The White Sox have been hurt by the injury to Jim Thome and could use the left-handed power Griffey provides. Griffey (eight homers, 26 RBIs, .297) is having a fine year. But he'd be much better off having the DH option, which could limit his own well-known propensity for pain.

What a stupid report.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 25, 2007 -> 10:43 AM)
Freel has been in the league (officially, he was up with the blue jays in 2001) The Reds need arms, not to stockpile aging utility players

Ryan Freel is Rob Machoviak with a better OPS.

Juan Castro is making 2.25 Million for being a good glove. (Don't get me started).

Funny you mention stockpiling of aging utility players, the Reds have Conine, Hatteberg, Castro, and a ton of old middle relievers. 69 Million dollar payroll for the worst club in baseball. We're having the same discussions at redszone.com

We don't understand either.

QUOTE(Heath @ May 25, 2007 -> 01:12 PM)
Ryan Freel is Rob Machoviak with a better OPS.

Juan Castro is making 2.25 Million for being a good glove. (Don't get me started).

Funny you mention stockpiling of aging utility players, the Reds have Conine, Hatteberg, Castro, and a ton of old middle relievers. 69 Million dollar payroll for the worst club in baseball. We're having the same discussions at redszone.com

We don't understand either.

Castro would be a much better fit for the Sox than Cintron, because he can play SS, 3B and 2B flawlessly. He's the perfect player for a 90-100 win team and wasted on a 65-75 win team. He is Vin Scully's all-time favorite player, going back to the 1950's.

Cintron doesn't have the arm for SS or even 3B right now.