Bar overcharges my credit card on tip line.

santo=dorf

QUOTE(Y2HH @ May 25, 2007 -> 10:33 PM)
A "hold" should never be more than 1$ unless they say so up front -- not to mention, on your e-bill (online) it should say "temp" next to the charge, designating that it was a temporary max test. Temp charges are simply a test to see if the credit line exists -- if the card is maxed, the 1$ temp charge will fail. Like I said, nobody should be temping 20$ without telling you about it, ever. I worked in the credit card PCI industry, and I'm not even sure if that's legal...then again, it's possibly he/she simply forgot to tell them about the 20$ temp, but for some reason I doubt it...because it should be marked as a temp credit line check on his e-bill.

The major gas stations here put on $76 and $80 as soon as you put the card in the pump and it will fail if the debit card has less than those amounts. One station was using the $1 number, but with all the prepaid debit cards people would have $3 on the card, fill up and take off.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ May 29, 2007 -> 04:09 PM)
If it is a CC not a debit, call your CC company and tell them that the bar is charging your card fraudulently. They will reverse the charges and force the bar to prove to them that they were legitimate.

Visa, Master Card, etc are real bastards to vendors who screw their cardholders and they have almost unlimited resources to fight the bar.

I agree Badger !

I would contact the establishment first. Often they have a member of the wait-staff who has a history of doing this. It happened to us at a local establishment - as soon as we called the manager reversed the charge - this employee had been doing this for a while.

If that doesn't work call the credit card company and dispute the charge. The sooner the better - they will likely put a credit on you account until the dispute is settled.

• 3 weeks later...

This and that.

It was at Club Element, and I went to their website to look for a phone number. Couldn't find it, but they did have a box to contact via email.

Basically I told them a $25 tip on a $20 bill made no sense and perhaps they misread the total line as the tip line.

No response directly, (they said they would contact,) but I noticed today that $20 was deposited back in my credit account. I was just going to eat it (really not that much to me,) but I'm not going to use a credit card to pay for a round anymore (that was my first time.)