Artie leaving Howard???

juddling

May 25, 2007 -- BELOVED Howard Stern-sidekick Artie Lange says he's leaving the radio broadcast next January after more than six years with the radio program.

Lange made the announcement yesterday, live on the air, stunning his colleagues and even catching Stern off guard.

"I just feel burned out," Lange told The Post. He has been juggling the pre-dawn hours of "Stern," a brutal stand-up comedy touring schedule, a recurring role on "Rescue Me" and a guest spot on "Entourage."

All the work comes just as Lange tries to battle a long-term drug and alcohol addiction, depression and poor eating habits that have pushed his weight to over 300 lbs.

"Nothing is set in stone, but it's something I'm seriously thinking about. The schedule is destroying me. I love the show, and I love the people. I'm just really concerned about my health," he says.

During a recent physical, a doctor told Lange that he needed to make some sort of a change in lifestyle or risk death. "I have to find a happy balance . . . none of this is going to be worth it if I drop dead at a Best Western in Milwaukee," he says.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't heard Howard since he went to Sirius but i remember Artie and his contributions to the show. I'm glad to hear he's taking some sort of charge of his health and that the Stern show has made him enough money that he can afford to quit and MAYBE cut back on the touring.

Though I do see him dying at a Best Western in Milwaukee kind of fitting for him

:bang

I really liked it when Artie took over for Jackie. I think he is really funny and seemed to be "real." Listening to Howard, you know he is BS 90% of the time. He cares only about himself. Anyways, I like Artie and look forward to seeing him somewhere else.

it was a good listen when it went down. Basically, Artie was feeling that Howard was attacking his weight and drug problems too much (basically Artie got mad Howard brought a girl in to meet Artie who said she had a fat fetish and Artie was uncomfortable with that), and when Howard told Artie he was his "bro" Artie basically said he didn't think they were friends at all and Howard only really cares about the radio show. That argument went on for about an hour, then later Artie talked about his health problems and talked about leaving in January.

not the best description because it is hard to describe, you could tell there were real emotions there though.

If Artie leaves, I hope they keep an active person in that chair. Benjy just writes and Fred usually doesn't say anything. I think the show is better with a 3rd voice to balance out Robin and Howard.