MMA Thread

huge MMA weekend coming up. Affliction's PPV should be quality with the Fedor v. Sylvia main event and Arlovski v. Rothwell, Barnett v. Rizzo and Lindland fighting on it.

UFN the same night with Anderson Silva fighting at 205, then DREAM 5 on HDnet.

If i'm home i'll be watching UFC and looking to download Affliction, I just prefer to see one of my favorite fighters (silva) live.

On another note, Dana White confirmed the UFC coming to the Allstate Arena on October 25th. I'll be saving my cash for this.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jul 18, 2008 -> 06:05 PM)
If i'm home i'll be watching UFC and looking to download Affliction, I just prefer to see one of my favorite fighters (silva) live.

On another note, Dana White confirmed the UFC coming to the Allstate Arena on October 25th. I'll be saving my cash for this.

I'll get cheap seats for the UFC show here. Should be a fun atmosphere, but throw some alcohol into the mix and I'm sure you'll see some "amateur bouts" in the stands.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 19, 2008 -> 11:29 PM)
FEDOR!!!!

WOW

Greatest fighter we've ever seen in a ring.

Agreed. He is on a totally different level. Made Sylvia look like a first timer in the ring.

Also, great to see Arlovski have a very good fight. The Silva fight was pretty good on the UFC side too. Just a great weekend for MMA as a whole.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jul 20, 2008 -> 12:39 AM)
Markham with the head kick KO, what a sight.

That was pretty badass...

I've never really watched any UFC fights until tonight, and man did I enjoy that! UFC just gained a new fan.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jul 20, 2008 -> 11:24 AM)
So I just watched the Silvia/Fedor fight from last night...

Wow, so what's next for Fedor? Also, hasn't Silvia lost like his last 3 out of 4 fights now?

In his last 4 the only win Sylvia has is over Vera who is at LHW Now. However, he is a former UFC champ and was totally destroyed in less than a minute.

I really enjoy watching Fedor fight. It is a shame we haven't seen him more lately.

Fedor should fight AA or Josh next, but his managers can be a pain, so we'll see when and if that happens. He usually fights on NYE in Japan, so he'll probably fight for DREAM, or maybe WVR that night. They're also doing a reality show called "Fighting Fedor" with some Russian HWs training and competing to fight him. (I am absolutely 100% not kidding about that).

http://mmamania.com/2008/02/12/fighting-fe...reality-series/

Affliction was a good show, but they really need to have better match ups, I mean a few of the fights were a joke, even Trigg and Glazer who announced it were saying Deweeze (sp?) and the guy from Brazil that Lindland fouoght weren't on the same level as their opponents. They also have to address the production aspect, it SUCKED! It was dark, the camera work was bad and the announcing didn't click, and they had Megadeath playing during the PPV (although it was 4 hours, so it didn't take away any fights). Overall the the production was C level at best, I know it was their first time, but they really need to address that ASAP.

UFN was good too, heck it was free and seeing Silva for free and the ridiculous KO was well worth the time of watching it. Vera didn't impress much in his reintroduction at 205, and in the UFC there is no messing around at 205, that is one tough division.

Dream 5 on HDnet early morning monday and replay Monday night. LW finals I believe. Hopefully at somepoint JZ or Aoki will fight BJ in a cross promotion or the UFC signing one of them.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 20, 2008 -> 08:17 PM)
UFN was good too, heck it was free and seeing Silva for free and the ridiculous KO was well worth the time of watching it. Vera didn't impress much in his reintroduction at 205, and in the UFC there is no messing around at 205, that is one tough division.

Dream 5 on HDnet early morning monday and replay Monday night. LW finals I believe. Hopefully at somepoint JZ or Aoki will fight BJ in a cross promotion or the UFC signing one of them.

Vera has to be able to learn how to cut weight without totally gassing himself out for a fight, but once he learns I think he'll be able to hold his own. I completely forgot about the Dream show tonight/early morning...won't be watching since I don't have HDNet and since I have to work in the morning. I caught the last show they put on and I enjoyed it, I just wish their time between matches was somewhat shorter.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Jul 20, 2008 -> 11:49 AM)
He has already beaten Big Nog twice (pretty much 3 times) and is in a different promotion than him. I don't see them hooking up again any time soon. Nog has nothing to offer Fedor.

No, not even close to 3 times. Fedor got a nasty cut. It was pretty early in the fight as I recall.

Edited by Maxwell

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 20, 2008 -> 08:17 PM)
Fedor should fight AA or Josh next, but his managers can be a pain, so we'll see when and if that happens. He usually fights on NYE in Japan, so he'll probably fight for DREAM, or maybe WVR that night. They're also doing a reality show called "Fighting Fedor" with some Russian HWs training and competing to fight him. (I am absolutely 100% not kidding about that).

http://mmamania.com/2008/02/12/fighting-fe...reality-series/

Affliction was a good show, but they really need to have better match ups, I mean a few of the fights were a joke, even Trigg and Glazer who announced it were saying Deweeze (sp?) and the guy from Brazil that Lindland fouoght weren't on the same level as their opponents. They also have to address the production aspect, it SUCKED! It was dark, the camera work was bad and the announcing didn't click, and they had Megadeath playing during the PPV (although it was 4 hours, so it didn't take away any fights). Overall the the production was C level at best, I know it was their first time, but they really need to address that ASAP.

I think you want lopsided match ups for the first event, maybe even the second, purely for excitement. You don't want decisions. I'm sure they are well aware of what you are saying.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 01:03 AM)
DREAM puts on a fun show to watch. I have always loved watching Japanese MMA events b/c of the production.

Nice tourney but none of those guys are ready to face someone of Penn's caliber.

A lot of them are, even though he lost the final, Aoki is a top LW and so is JZ Calvancante

I almost forgot the show was on tonight, regardless it was ALOT better than the last show. The Cyborg lady was ridiculous, good thing she actually won after celebrating prematurely. Shields with a nice guillotine from being on top. Diaz being one of my favorite guys to watch, of course I thought he looked good and Lawler with the knees did work.

Also, Dana White confirmed that the UFC 90 main event will be Silva vs. Cote for the middleweight title..Silva in Chicago all but sold this ticket for me.

Edited by MHizzle85

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.mmapayout.com/2008/08/ball-in-u...fedor-vs-randy/

interesting article about how Randy v Fedor could possibly take place in the UFC. Nothing really concrete, but some quotes and logical conclusions being drawn. The site is well run and not just a rumor mongering site. It seems like if it is going to happen it would have to happen in the UFC. The UFC's last legal win in Texas (from my understanding it was a denial of HDNETs Summary Judgement) could make this drag out a long time, and at 45, Randy doesn't have a ton of time.

Ultimately I don't think it will happen in the UFC. The UFC are really stringent about their policies and I just can't see them letting Fedor fight for them 1 time, and I doubt his camp would agree to some sort of one year U.S. PPV exclusivity or something like that.

It sucks Fedor isn't fighting on the next Affliction card, Fedor v. AA was a fight I was looking forward too. Also Fedor tends to always fight in Japan on New Years Eve. So if he fights in Japan on NYE, he probably wouldn't fight on a US PPV until Feb or March of '09.

WEC was good last night, Vs Network usually replays it a few times so it is worth searching for

It's cool the UFC is coming to the Chicago Area. I read that tickets to the general public go on sale 8/18 and to "fight club" members on 8/15. I can sometimes get tickets to Allstate events early, if I can't get these I'll eat the $80 for access to the presale

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 11:11 AM)
WEC was good last night, Vs Network usually replays it a few times so it is worth searching for

It's cool the UFC is coming to the Chicago Area. I read that tickets to the general public go on sale 8/18 and to "fight club" members on 8/15. I can sometimes get tickets to Allstate events early, if I can't get these I'll eat the $80 for access to the presale

WEC was a fun card last night, worth a check out. So if you're able to get the tickets early either way, would you mind sharing with your fellow ST MMA lovers? :)

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 12:35 PM)
WEC was a fun card last night, worth a check out. So if you're able to get the tickets early either way, would you mind sharing with your fellow ST MMA lovers? :)

with the buzz I'm hearing about the show, whatever tickets I can get I'm just going to buy the maximum I can, so if there are any extras I will post here first.