MMA Thread

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 11:10 PM)
3/3 Congratulations.

Eh, GSP didn't get the TKO so i'll take 2.5/3 :P

But man did GSP look fantastic. Right now he's 2nd in my book of best p4p guys, they need to make Penn/GSP happen for the new years card.

Lesnar looked a lot better this time around. Kongo also looked a lot better this time around, this is another matchup i'd make.

Emerson with the crazy KO over Manny, Florian showing that Huerta wasn't quite ready for that level of competition and Maia putting on a technical clinic.

Overall, it was a fun card. Enjoyed it very thoroughly.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 02:32 AM)
Eh, GSP didn't get the TKO so i'll take 2.5/3 :P

But man did GSP look fantastic. Right now he's 2nd in my book of best p4p guys, they need to make Penn/GSP happen for the new years card.

Lesnar looked a lot better this time around. Kongo also looked a lot better this time around, this is another matchup i'd make.

Emerson with the crazy KO over Manny, Florian showing that Huerta wasn't quite ready for that level of competition and Maia putting on a technical clinic.

Overall, it was a fun card. Enjoyed it very thoroughly.

I agree, card was entertaining.

GSP looked great, but he's probably #3 for me behind Fedor and Anderson Silva.

If anyone says the ground stuff is always boring, show them the first round of the Maia/MacDonald fight, it was exciting.

Wow, Lesnar has a chance to be completely dominant, he is huge and athletic, and I will give props to Heath for taking an insane beating.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 09:12 PM)
I'll feel bad for Kongo if he's fed to Lesnar next. Lesnar is going to kill him.

It's a logical next step for Lesnar though. He needs to fight a good striker to see how he reacts to being hit. Hearing is an OK striker, but he didn't get the chance to hit him.

Obviously it will be hard to stop Brock's breakdowns, but Kongo is an interesting matchup for him

• 2 weeks later...

Ken Shamrock will fight Kimbo next....

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/shamrock-...-at-slice-14185

complete dud from the MMA aspect of it, but extremely good business move. Shamrock still has some name left and I predict this doing very solid ratings (which Elite needs, they are bleeding money).

If I had faith that Shamrock's ego wouldn't have him try and bang with Kimbo, I would give Ken a good chance in this fight since he has quality submissions, but I don't see him trying to take this down to the mat.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 25, 2008 -> 01:32 PM)
Ken Shamrock will fight Kimbo next....

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/shamrock-...-at-slice-14185

complete dud from the MMA aspect of it, but extremely good business move. Shamrock still has some name left and I predict this doing very solid ratings (which Elite needs, they are bleeding money).

If I had faith that Shamrock's ego wouldn't have him try and bang with Kimbo, I would give Ken a good chance in this fight since he has quality submissions, but I don't see him trying to take this down to the mat.

That will definitely draw.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Aug 25, 2008 -> 04:45 PM)
WTF? Well if Ken decides to stand up and bang he'll lose his 8th out of his last 9 fights. If he works him on the ground then Kimbo is exposed.

I dont think Shamrock will be able to get it to the ground unless he rolls for a knee and somehow scrambles to top position. Shamrock has really never been good at getting takedowns against guys who know what they're doing.

I want Shamrock to win b/c he could use some good pub but I see another Kimbo/Tank type match happening.

FWIW, sherdog.com is running rampant with rumors that Randy and the UFC have come to an agreement and he will be main eventing UFC 91...

Again, it makes sense that this happens since the UFC could drag out the court case and effectively end his career, but I still have a hard time believing this is true, when someone like Meltzer confirms it I will believe it

Also, anyone else going to UFC 90 at Allstate? It was a complete cluster F for tickets and I got my presale limit, no extra as of yet, but if I do I will post here.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 02:49 PM)
FWIW, sherdog.com is running rampant with rumors that Randy and the UFC have come to an agreement and he will be main eventing UFC 91...

Again, it makes sense that this happens since the UFC could drag out the court case and effectively end his career, but I still have a hard time believing this is true, when someone like Meltzer confirms it I will believe it

Also, anyone else going to UFC 90 at Allstate? It was a complete cluster F for tickets and I got my presale limit, no extra as of yet, but if I do I will post here.

Please PM me or post it here if you do get extras. I would love to go.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 03:48 PM)
Please PM me or post it here if you do get extras. I would love to go.

Same, it's kind of a ripoff that you have to be a member of the fight club to even think about getting decently priced tickets.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 28, 2008 -> 02:49 PM)

Report: Randy Couture could return to UFC for bout with Brock Lesnar

by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Aug 30, 2008 at 11:15 am ET

Rumors regarding UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture's (16-8 MMA, 8-5 UFC) possible return to the UFC, first reported by MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), are continuing to build momentum.

Five Ounces of Pain recently reported that preliminary negotiations would have Couture return for UFC 91 on Nov. 15 in Portland, Ore.

New reports from BloodyElbow.com confirm the previously reported negotiations between Couture and the UFC. Additionally, the reports claim that Couture's next fight would be the UFC 91 main event against Brock Lesnar (2-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC).

It is unknown at this time whether the bout would be for Couture's UFC heavyweight title.

Couture has been inactive for over a year while waiting out the Oct. 11 end of his current UFC contract. BloodyElbow.com is reporting the bout with Lesnar would be under a new contract that would lock Couture into the UFC long-term, but the new deal would also likely pay more and offer additional benefits.

MMA Rated has also reported that the UFC is considering a departure from recent policy and may be open to co-promoting a bout with M-1 Global between Couture and WAMMA heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko (28-1). M-1 Global currently holds Emelianenko's contract.

The UFC previously tried and failed to secure Emelianenko's services. It is unclear if the issues that previously prevented the bout between Couture and Emelianenko have now been solved.

Additional reports from the Wrestling Observer note that Couture's new deal would be for three fights. In addition to Lesnar and Emelianenko, possible future opponents discussed with Couture include UFC interim heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and a fourth bout with former UFC light-heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell.

MMAjunkie.com was unable to confirm the multiple reports with Couture.

http://www.mmapayout.com/2008/09/press-con...outures-return/

Looks like Randy coming back will be announced today at a press conference. Cool stuff. Looks like Randy realized the court battle would have ended his career with the time it would have taken to play out. Hopefully all sides are happy.

FWIW, I agree with the blurb at the bottom of the article saying the Fedor mention is just for PR. I can't see Fedor and the UFC ever agreeing to a deal, both sides are just so far apart on certain things.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 07:32 AM)
http://www.mmapayout.com/2008/09/press-con...outures-return/

Looks like Randy coming back will be announced today at a press conference. Cool stuff. Looks like Randy realized the court battle would have ended his career with the time it would have taken to play out. Hopefully all sides are happy.

FWIW, I agree with the blurb at the bottom of the article saying the Fedor mention is just for PR. I can't see Fedor and the UFC ever agreeing to a deal, both sides are just so far apart on certain things.

http://www.f4wonline.com/content/view/6607/124/

... and it's official via Dana White on a conference call. 5 rounds for the belt at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Not on this link, but a blog mentioned that Randy will remain in the UFC win or lose and they will do everything in their power to make Fedor/Couture happen