MMA Thread

QUOTE (zenryan @ Sep 7, 2008 -> 12:04 AM)
I wonder how many more fights Liddell has in him now. Evans just knocked him into next spring with the punch.

And I was damn glad to see it, not much of a Rashard Evans fan but to see just about everyone name Liddell the #1 contender even though he lost his last 2 out of 3 fights was sickening.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Sep 7, 2008 -> 03:49 PM)
And I was damn glad to see it, not much of a Rashard Evans fan but to see just about everyone name Liddell the #1 contender even though he lost his last 2 out of 3 fights was sickening.

Why? It's not about making the best fights 'ranking' wise; it's about trying to make fights people will pay to see. Chuck vs Forrest would've been huge business on pay-per-view. Evans is a good fighter, but after that fight last night he sure didn't come off like a star.

was an OK PPV. I really enjoyed the Henderson fight, he had a great strategy, implemented it and won. That KO of Chuck was Cro Copish, he went dead limp and didn't move for minutes. He's probably not done (he would have to retire, I'm sure the UFC will give him another match). It will be interesting to see who he fights next. Do they do a superfight with him and Anderson Silva? I would guess they would give him a redemption fight with Jardine.

The WEC was postponed from Wednesday until November 5th due to the threat of Ike. Next fight night is September 17th before the season premier of The Ultimate Fighter.

Early October until November 15th will have a lot of MMA. Begins with the Kimbo/Shamrock card on the 4th of October on CBS, then the 2nd Affliction card headlined by Arlovski/Barnett on, I believe the 11th, UFC 89 with Bisping/Leben from England which will be free on Spike on the 18th, then UFC 90 in Chicago on the 25th, the WEC on November 5th and UFC 91 on the 15th of November with Couture/Lesnar and possibly Wanderli/Rampage.

QUOTE (Mr. Showtime @ Sep 7, 2008 -> 09:52 PM)
Why? It's not about making the best fights 'ranking' wise; it's about trying to make fights people will pay to see. Chuck vs Forrest would've been huge business on pay-per-view. Evans is a good fighter, but after that fight last night he sure didn't come off like a star.

Forrest is WAY over with the fans, as long as he's not fighting complete nobodies...people will tune in. That should of been Rampage's next match since IMO he didn't lose decisively enough. But with the whole legal ordeal, I doubt that'll happen until he gets cleared.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Sep 8, 2008 -> 07:50 PM)
wow, former UFC champ Evan Tanner was found dead in a desert he was camping in.

http://www.mmafrenzy.com/2008/09/08/evan-t...ifornia-desert/

Very shocking, RIP.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Sep 10, 2008 -> 03:05 PM)
The Affliction event for October 11th which was to be headlined by Arlovski vs. Barnett has been postponed to January in Anaheim. Apparently the ticket sales weren't there.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/afflictio...postponed-14361

Too early to say another one bites the dust?

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Sep 10, 2008 -> 03:05 PM)
The Affliction event for October 11th which was to be headlined by Arlovski vs. Barnett has been postponed to January in Anaheim. Apparently the ticket sales weren't there.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/afflictio...postponed-14361

Affliction is now saying they will have a major announcement that will change MMA within the next 2 weeks. MMAPayout.com speculates it will be a partnership with Golden Boy Productions to do mixed boxing and MMA cards. Only way that could be big is if they get on some of Golden Boy's HBO shows.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Sep 17, 2008 -> 08:29 PM)
it was a good card. The Danzig/Guida action dissapointed some (SPOILERS BELOW!!!!!!!!!)

Guida grinded out a win, not his typicall wild fight, but it was a big win for his career. other fights were very entertaining

I thought it was just a decent card, typical for a Spike show. I do believe we've seen the last of Houston Alexander though.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Sep 22, 2008 -> 11:13 PM)
I thought it was just a decent card, typical for a Spike show. I do believe we've seen the last of Houston Alexander though.

Maybe, but they kept Alexio Sakara (sp?) around because he can provide exciting fights. I wouldn't be shocked if they kept him around and stuck him on undercards with other primarily standup guys to have fights that could potentially warm up a crowd. Also, the UFC might keep him around for the "image" factor. He's a single father and seemingly good guy, so it helps deflect some of the lingering mainstream image that the sport is for thugs

• 2 weeks later...

CBS/Elite XC card should be worth watching on Saturday.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templa...7&zoneid=14

Arlovski and Ninja for free, can't complain. Kimbo is what he is at this point, I can't blame the guy for getting paid, but against any top 20 HW he would get destroyed. Shamrock actually has a chance if it goes to the mat, but Shamrock will stand and bang with him for some reason that god only knows

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Oct 3, 2008 -> 09:37 AM)
CBS/Elite XC card should be worth watching on Saturday.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templa...7&zoneid=14

Arlovski and Ninja for free, can't complain. Kimbo is what he is at this point, I can't blame the guy for getting paid, but against any top 20 HW he would get destroyed. Shamrock actually has a chance if it goes to the mat, but Shamrock will stand and bang with him for some reason that god only knows

I'll be at a birthday party so i'll just catch it on a torrent. Not sure i'd be watching live unless I had nothing else to do.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 4, 2008 -> 03:29 PM)
I'm sure I'll be bashed if we have any MMA elitists here, but no one will ever beat Kimbo Slice now that he has the slightest bit of training. There is no beating 250 pounds of pure awesome. Period.

Because why? He beat 2 scrubs and a relic from the beginning of the UFC. Now who is he fighting? Another relic. Shamrock hasn't done anything in years.

You are right, he will not lose. It isn't because of his awesomeness. It is because EliteXC will keep feeding him cans since they are afraid he will lose and he is a big draw for them.

Seriously, his fight against Cantrell looked like a work. Cantrell tapped to punches in like 3 seconds. Abbott has been washed up for a decade and Thompson who isn't even very good pretty much took him the distance.

I guarantee you that if you put him up against even a top 15-20 HW he will get taken apart ala Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir. Not being an MMA elitist here, just a realist.

The only chance I see Shamrock having is if he takes it to the ground like he used to when he was in his prime. Otherwise he will suffer another KO.