MMA Thread

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 05:39 PM)
I'm suppose to be house sitting for a friend for 10 days starting tomorrow. I was all excited to order this event, have some people come over and what not. Now who knows if its even worth the hassle.

it will be, but I'm a Gomi mark and the Sobral/Mousasi fight has potential. I don't have HDNET, so I wouldn't mind seeing them move the Lauzon/Horodecki fight up to the main card now.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templa...0&zoneid=14

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 05:17 PM)
I think Barnett is more of a threat than any of those guys. He is a big guy who if he got Fedor down he could avoid getting submitted.

Vitor would probably be giving 15-20 pounds to Fedor. Vitor has never won a big fight. Not counting the fluke cut vs Couture.

Lashley would get the take down but would be submitted within minutes.

Rogers has some steam right now but I dont see him as a threat to Fedor. He has only beaten 1 fight worth noting and Fedor could end the fight in 2 minutes if he decided to go to the ground.

Sucks that Overeem is healing his injury. Shoot, I think I'd be pretty excited for a Fedor/Roger Gracie fight if he wasnt dealing with the health problem of his kid.

Only fight that really makes any sense is Vitor or me. I'd be willing to take a 30 second beating for 30k.

That's basically why I'm not at all excited about Barnett. To beat Fedor, I think you have to finish him, and you have to do it very early, unless you're Anderson or Lyoto and are capable of playing his game on the feet. Even if Barnett can get Fedor down and defend subs for a little while, I still don't think that's enough. He won't be able to do that the whole fight and it's just a matter of time before Barnett has to stand which means he's getting KTFO. And even in Barnett's last fight against Yvel he didn't show anything much. I mean, if you can't finish off Yvel from mount then I don't know what you've got for Fedor.

Agree Lashley would be in major danger of getting subbed, but I guess there's the hope that if he could get him down then maybe he could land a power shot or two. Wouldn't bet on it by any means, but at least there's a scant possibility. Of course, Fedor's taken some major damage from Randleman and Fujita and it didn't exactly matter.

Rogers would be a "lucky punch" type for me. Again highly unlikely, but at least if he connects with a good shot he's got enough power to take down anyone.

Belfort would probably be AA all over again, where Fedor just kind of backs off, avoids practically all damage, and then picks a spot to land the KO counter. But at least there's a chance again.

Roger Gracie would be interesting too if there was any way for him to get that fight to the ground, but Fedor is deceptively quick and I think you have to be a pretty sickly athletic wrestler to be able to get him down and keep him there at least long enough to try to take advantage. I'd rather see Overeem though for the reasons listed above. Werdum would be my last choice, especially since Werdum thinks he's some great striker now. That fight might be over faster than the Sylvia one.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 22, 2009 -> 05:39 PM)
I'm suppose to be house sitting for a friend for 10 days starting tomorrow. I was all excited to order this event, have some people come over and what not. Now who knows if its even worth the hassle.

You know you'll be ordering it just to see Scott Farell (sp?). That guy is the only reason Affliction got the buys they did last time.

Tito Ortiz said today there would be no way he could be ready in 10 days when interviewed. He's right since he's only a week into training after getting cleared but for a guy who talked about fighting Fedor one day this would be his only chance.

Wished he would have thrown his name out there because I think Affliction wouldve jumped on that. I would have gladly paid $50 to watch Tito get his gigantic head caved in.

http://www.f4wonline.com/content/view/10045/

Affliction decided just to cancel the event for 8/1. Looks like they couldn't nail an opponent down quickly enough. I'm curious as to how Fedor's contract was set up, meaning does he have one fight left or was it written so this event was his last commitment and the cancelation frees him, ie X amount of fights by end of Aug. 2009. Same thing with Belfort, Dana has openly expressed interest in him, if he's free, wouldn't be suprised if they snap him up quickly.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templa...8&zoneid=13

Riggs vs. Diaz is also off the Strikeforce 8/15 card, so I wouldn't be shocked if a few of the undercard fighters from Affliction find their way on to that card, maybe put the Babalu fight on there.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 06:00 PM)
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templa...21&zoneid=2

Affliction fight promotion officially over, they inked a new promo deal with the UFC

*cues another one bites the dust*

The funny thing is that I just read a report that Affliction was ready to fold into the UFC if allowed & Dana basically told them to f*** off. It'll be interesting to see what comes of this.

Apparently Dana will make a huge announcement at 9:00 eastern...He also hinted that Tito is officially back in the UFC on his twitter.

@danawhiteufc: I am going on espn 1100 in vegas at 6pm. I will be talking anything mma. Call in number is 702 364 1100! Oh yea and welcome back tito :)

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 06:58 PM)
*cues another one bites the dust*

The funny thing is that I just read a report that Affliction was ready to fold into the UFC if allowed & Dana basically told them to f*** off. It'll be interesting to see what comes of this.

Apparently Dana will make a huge announcement at 9:00 eastern...He also hinted that Tito is officially back in the UFC on his twitter.

@danawhiteufc: I am going on espn 1100 in vegas at 6pm. I will be talking anything mma. Call in number is 702 364 1100! Oh yea and welcome back tito :)

IMO, Dana did the right thing, I highly doubt Fedor's contract was transferable and that's probably the only one worth anything. Now they can negotiate with Vitor and make another run at Fedor (not that I think it will do any good).

I've said through the whole saga, Tito back in the UFC wouldn't shock me because there's money left in him, both for Tito and the UFC

Dana's been on some radio station for a charity fundraiser and a few more interesting things. Sounds like they're going to cancel the 103 main event of Hendo/Franklin because the fans didn't take to it and schedule something big. Also, he's going out of the country, so next Friday he's going to have a press conference.

Haha, Dana rules. Glad Atencio is going to disappear after this, couldn't stand that guy. At least Dana lies and bulls***s when he doesn't feel like being straight about something, and if it's anything he can discuss contractually, Dana always lets the fans know. Tom Atencio couldn't even confirm what the f*** it was he had for breakfast.

Hopefully Mr. White is on a jet to Russia - err, scratch that. Hopefully Mr. White is on his way to handle whatever Lorenzo was doing and it is instead Lorenzo who is on his way to Russia. Not that they NEED Fedor, but I do on my UFC events.

Sucks about Vitor either way though. Would have been interested in a fight against Fedor, and if not, that fight against Santiago was the fight I was most looking forward to. Hopefully this also means Din Thomas and Chris Horodecki in the WEC now.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jul 28, 2009 -> 05:22 PM)
Our dreams have come true...Fedor, UFC Finalizing Deal.

promising news, but about 2 years ago many outlets were reporting a deal was done and he was going to be announced at a PPV, sounds promising, but like I said, with the history of these two parties, I'll wait to I see the conference.

The countdown show with all his PRIDE footage hyping that fight will be epic

Fedor update.... more reports from M-1 saying a deal isn't close and the LA reporter who made the initial report on his Twitter said they are still in heavy/complicated negotiations and if it gets done probably won't be by Friday.

Fedor has a teleconference in a few here to speak about his future... I would guess it will be pretty generic since it seems like they're working on things... would be suprised, but not shocked, if he says he's fighting onthe Strikeforce card in a few weeks against Werdum