MMA Thread

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 04:19 PM)
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/8/13/98812...ogin=1250189665

Rumor going around that Fedor's first Strikeforce fight will be against Ricco Rodriquez... if this is true I will sorely be dissapointed and don't want to hear anything from M-1 or Fedor for awhile

But he's a former UFC Champ!!!!!11

Anyway, here's a good laugh for the day. MMA Moments re-created in MS Paint

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/update-ba...ck-to-ufc-19091

NYBA looks like he's heading back to the UFC. Obviously odd, but as the article points out it seems like the UFC is looking to snap up Strikeforce fighters.

They're probably trying to prevent guys from signing long deals with Strikeforce with the hope of a UFC deal or at least a bidding war. It might be harder for Strikeforce to get traction going in other deals without their guys signed to multi-fight deals

NYBA looks like he's heading back to the UFC. Obviously odd, but as the article points out it seems like the UFC is looking to snap up Strikeforce fighters.

They're probably trying to prevent guys from signing long deals with Strikeforce with the hope of a UFC deal or at least a bidding war. It might be harder for Strikeforce to get traction going in other deals without their guys signed to multi-fight deals

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 09:57 PM)

Snapping up all these guys to keep them from Strikeforce is probably a big part of the reason at least and is the most obvious guess.

But it seems to me like the UFC is gearing up to announce a major TV deal shortly. Here's why:

-Dana promised a major announcement that would change the UFC and the MMA landscape forever. Dana has since said that none of the other major announcements (Tito, Belfort, Affliction, UK deal, etc.) were that announcement, and he said that sometimes it takes a while for things to get finalized.

-Dana mentioned during the 101 post-fight press conference that they might be adding another event in October. Hmm, isn't Strikeforce supposed to hit CBS this fall? That would be an odd coincidence.

-The UFC recently formed a partnership with ESPN for the airing of all major UFC live programming. Meanwhile, Bellator has reportedly impressed on ESPN Deportes and the President of ESPN (I believe, maybe a CEO) attended UFC 100 and has supposedly been pushing MMA more as a topic of conversation on regular ESPN programming. Plus 101 had the MMA Live crew there which I believe had only been done before for BJ-GSP 2, Lesnar-Couture, and Lesnar-Mir, GSP-Alves. 101 was a major card, but not nearly as major as those other three, so could that signal an ESPN presence at every PPV?

-Dana was asked by Meltzer for an update on the network TV situation and Dana said the interest is hotter than ever and that they didn't think they were far from a deal. He also made it sound like production and creative issues were no longer problems.

-The video blogs are all gone and there have been hints of a behind-the-scenes series debuting that would essentially replace them.

-Lastly, look at all of these fighters coming in and there's a lot of similarities. Matyushenko, Baroni, Rothwell, Buentello, etc. are all name fighters. They're not exactly world beaters, but they're not prelim fighters either. They all seem like the type of fighters you put on the main card of a free television show, and Spike isn't scheduled to run a ton of TUF Finales and UFN's every year.

Just a guess on my part, but UFC is going to be making a powerplay shortly, and within 2 months tops of Strikeforce appearing on CBS we'll see the UFC either on a network, ESPN, or HBO, and possibly they'll have 2 out of 3.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 07:04 PM)
Snapping up all these guys to keep them from Strikeforce is probably a big part of the reason at least and is the most obvious guess.

But it seems to me like the UFC is gearing up to announce a major TV deal shortly. Here's why:

-Dana promised a major announcement that would change the UFC and the MMA landscape forever. Dana has since said that none of the other major announcements (Tito, Belfort, Affliction, UK deal, etc.) were that announcement, and he said that sometimes it takes a while for things to get finalized.

-Dana mentioned during the 101 post-fight press conference that they might be adding another event in October. Hmm, isn't Strikeforce supposed to hit CBS this fall? That would be an odd coincidence.

-The UFC recently formed a partnership with ESPN for the airing of all major UFC live programming. Meanwhile, Bellator has reportedly impressed on ESPN Deportes and the President of ESPN (I believe, maybe a CEO) attended UFC 100 and has supposedly been pushing MMA more as a topic of conversation on regular ESPN programming. Plus 101 had the MMA Live crew there which I believe had only been done before for BJ-GSP 2, Lesnar-Couture, and Lesnar-Mir, GSP-Alves. 101 was a major card, but not nearly as major as those other three, so could that signal an ESPN presence at every PPV?

-Dana was asked by Meltzer for an update on the network TV situation and Dana said the interest is hotter than ever and that they didn't think they were far from a deal. He also made it sound like production and creative issues were no longer problems.

-The video blogs are all gone and there have been hints of a behind-the-scenes series debuting that would essentially replace them.

-Lastly, look at all of these fighters coming in and there's a lot of similarities. Matyushenko, Baroni, Rothwell, Buentello, etc. are all name fighters. They're not exactly world beaters, but they're not prelim fighters either. They all seem like the type of fighters you put on the main card of a free television show, and Spike isn't scheduled to run a ton of TUF Finales and UFN's every year.

Just a guess on my part, but UFC is going to be making a powerplay shortly, and within 2 months tops of Strikeforce appearing on CBS we'll see the UFC either on a network, ESPN, or HBO, and possibly they'll have 2 out of 3.

I agree. Meltzer wrote that the hold-up now is that they would want to put a PPV main event on a network or ESPN card and the current offers would have them lose revenue from running a PPV. I think they'll overcome that shortly and you'll see something, also, they snapped up a decent amount of Affliction fighters and after initially saying they were cutting Leites they said they're keeping him now.

I felt something is coming sooner rather than later when I heard Dana say creative control isn't a problem anymore except with HBO.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 07:07 PM)
I agree. Meltzer wrote that the hold-up now is that they would want to put a PPV main event on a network or ESPN card and the current offers would have them lose revenue from running a PPV. I think they'll overcome that shortly and you'll see something, also, they snapped up a decent amount of Affliction fighters and after initially saying they were cutting Leites they said they're keeping him now.

I felt something is coming sooner rather than later when I heard Dana say creative control isn't a problem anymore except with HBO.

+1

Dana also said they'd be putting on "serious fights" on free tv if/when they get it, so the main event stuff shouldn't be a problem.

My first guess is this: the UFC wants to keep expanding internationally, but they also have problems drawing in viewers on PPV for replays or for live showings at like 2pm CT. There's still some very good cards they run out with very solid main events (like Wandy-Franklin in Germany) so I bet that whoever they go with on a network takes those international cards and airs them live.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 07:14 PM)
+1

Dana also said they'd be putting on "serious fights" on free tv if/when they get it, so the main event stuff shouldn't be a problem.

My first guess is this: the UFC wants to keep expanding internationally, but they also have problems drawing in viewers on PPV for replays or for live showings at like 2pm CT. There's still some very good cards they run out with very solid main events (like Wandy-Franklin in Germany) so I bet that whoever they go with on a network takes those international cards and airs them live.

well network deal or not, I imagine we're going to get at least a Spike live card against Fedor's first fight on Showtime. Wouldn't be shocked if they headlined it with Tito vs. Coleman or KenFlo vs. Guida or another top UFC LW

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 12:17 AM)
Cyborg defeated Carano....

thats an understatement.

Cyborg made Carano her b****. I'm glad because women's MMA sucks and hopefully this puts it back on the backburner.

Werdum looked a lot better physically. Fight went the way it should have gone. Maybe he can regain top 10 form.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 11:31 PM)
thats an understatement.

Cyborg made Carano her b****. I'm glad because women's MMA sucks and hopefully this puts it back on the backburner.

Werdum looked a lot better physically. Fight went the way it should have gone. Maybe he can regain top 10 form.

Totally agree. I mean, it's nice that they get to do it and all, but I'm glad that Zuffa isn't doing it. A lot of people don't want to watch women fight period, and even those that do, why would they rather see that s*** over the mens fights on the prelims?

Also the hype for this show pissed me off to no end and felt faker than any hype ever before. First it was annoying enough that every MMA site I went to I had to listen to the Strikeforce promo with the obligatory lines about how girls can fight too and yadda yadda yadda. I don't care. But then when the fight actually happened, I couldn't understand the pop from the crowd. How many of those people even remember who Gina fought before Cyborg? I watched the EXC events and I don't even know. And how many were cheering just because she's hot? Then half the place seemed to erupt into golf claps for Cyborg during her interview. Like, oh, this is such a great moment, Oprah would be so proud, what hearts these women have, oh it's so great to be part of a world where a woman can be a professional fighter, etc. - just an atmosphere completely devoid of testosterone in every way which is kind of what makes MMA so awesome IMO. I bet the Just Bleed guy wouldn't have clapped at all.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 02:13 AM)
Mousasi absolutely destroyed Babalu. I'm looking forward to seeing more of his fights. I'm guessing he will take care of Sokodju pretty easily in their fight.

At least Mousasi is getting paid to waste his time. Babalu was Strikeforce's best guy at LHW and Mousasi already ran through Dream's middleweight "division." I hope his contract doesn't run too long and he can sign with the UFC pretty soon. Since he's a training partner of Fedor he won't fight Fedor, but if he's only got 3 fights (which I hope) maybe he can fight Werdum and Rogers at HW and Robbie Lawler at 205 or something. Lil Nog might be a possibility if Strikeforce is planning on picking him up, but I could also see him in the UFC too.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 03:02 AM)
At least Mousasi is getting paid to waste his time. Babalu was Strikeforce's best guy at LHW and Mousasi already ran through Dream's middleweight "division." I hope his contract doesn't run too long and he can sign with the UFC pretty soon. Since he's a training partner of Fedor he won't fight Fedor, but if he's only got 3 fights (which I hope) maybe he can fight Werdum and Rogers at HW and Robbie Lawler at 205 or something. Lil Nog might be a possibility if Strikeforce is planning on picking him up, but I could also see him in the UFC too.

Yeah, I want Mousasi in the UFC ASAP.

OK night of fights, I hate women's MMA, just don't like watching it. Talked a lot about "technique" and there's very little. The take downs in that fight were like playground fight, there were what, 3-4 where the women taking the person down lost position right away? That's sloppy.

I am just not impressed by Werdum, I wouldn't really look forward to a Fedor/Werdum fight at this point.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 12:48 PM)
Yeah, I want Mousasi in the UFC ASAP.

OK night of fights, I hate women's MMA, just don't like watching it. Talked a lot about "technique" and there's very little. The take downs in that fight were like playground fight, there were what, 3-4 where the women taking the person down lost position right away? That's sloppy.

I am just not impressed by Werdum, I wouldn't really look forward to a Fedor/Werdum fight at this point.

Agreed, the womens bout had a very amateur feel to it. Especially got to me when Gina kept turning around and nearly had her back to Cyborg during the stand up exchanges. If that happened in a mens bout someone would get taken down and choked out.

Werdum looked pretty average. If he fought Fedor I'm sure he would have the same luck as Arlovski or Sylvia.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 10:10 AM)
Agreed, the womens bout had a very amateur feel to it. Especially got to me when Gina kept turning around and nearly had her back to Cyborg during the stand up exchanges. If that happened in a mens bout someone would get taken down and choked out.

Werdum looked pretty average. If he fought Fedor I'm sure he would have the same luck as Arlovski or Sylvia.

yeah, "amateur" is a perfect word to use for the fight on Saturday.

Also, have to love how helpful Fedor and M-1 are!!! I mean, come on, the Carano/Cyborg fight will get the most it can out of Showtime viewership and he wasn't even there?

Mousasi has so few options in Strikeforce right now. They're talking like Lil' Nog (actually would be interested in that, but I've heard he's trying to get inked with the UFC), Mike Whitehead and other names that don't do much for me... I need to see him in the UFC!!!

Also, the big MMA news of the day.... Chuck Liddell on the new season of Dancing With the Stars!!

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 02:44 PM)
I've seen a few reports that at the 102 media call Rodrigo said that the UFC signed Rogerio... looks like Gegard basically has nobody to fight

edited to add link:

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templa...0&zoneid=13

Looking at the Strikeforce roster there aren't a ton of options really.

Overeem maybe? Werdum? Not a lot to work with over there.

What's his contact situation? Is he under contract with Dream? Strikeforce? Both?

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 08:00 PM)
Looking at the Strikeforce roster there aren't a ton of options really.

Overeem maybe? Werdum? Not a lot to work with over there.

What's his contact situation? Is he under contract with Dream? Strikeforce? Both?

I believe he's somehow contracted with M-1, so that will be interesting

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 11:36 PM)
So Yvel is in the UFC now too? They either need to announce some more events or start putting like 15 bouts on every card because they're really stocking up on fighters. Maybe some of the 155ers can head to the WEC, but the WEC is also getting deeper and deeper.

That's the first I've heard of Yvel in the UFC, so I'm not sure what the story is. He's a tough guy so I think he would be a great test for some of the younger UFC heavies.

Looks like Lesnar vs. Carwin in Nov... if that happens Cain will get a new Oct opponent and then they'll pick from the winner of JDS/Cro Cop and Nog/Randy for a early 2010 title shot.

EDIT: Looks like Ben Rothwell has agreed to fight Cain.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 19, 2009 -> 10:17 AM)
That's the first I've heard of Yvel in the UFC, so I'm not sure what the story is. He's a tough guy so I think he would be a great test for some of the younger UFC heavies.

It was in the MMA Weekly story you quoted above, at the bottom.

In late July, the UFC struck a deal with Affliction to cease promoting events in exchange for a sponsorship deal that reversed a ban on UFC fighters wearing Affliction apparel. As part of the deal, several Affliction fighters’ contracts were transferred to the UFC, including Vitor Belfort, Ben Rothwell, Chase Gormley, and Gilbert Yvel, among others, though a complete roster of the transfers was never disclosed officially.

That was the first I'd heard of it too, but it's not surprising. As long as Yvel is sanctioned in California he should get sanctioned in Nevada as the CSAC usually seems like the tougher of the two when it comes to deciding who can fight and who can't. And as long as he can get sanctioned in Nevada he should receive lots of interest from the UFC, especially after his last fight.