MMA Thread

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 13, 2009 -> 06:06 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=2006886:date=Sep 6, 2009 -> 08:23 PM:name=Kenny Hates Prospects)-->
QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 08:23 PM)
<!--quotec-->I'm disliking Rampage more and more by the day. I'm sad he's delaying his fight with Rashad because I think Rashad is going to KTFO him, and I can't wait to see it.

NSFW - The first few minutes of him and the Japanese female reporter, and the Japanese sports store worker are pretty priceless.

I've seen all those videos and they only make me dislike him more.

Rampage is no doubt an elite LHW fighter, but he's not as good as he thinks he is, nor is he the athlete he thinks he is, and it's all going to be downhill for him starting with Rashad who is going to knock his block off IMO. Rampage was dogging King Mo and I guarantee King Mo becomes a better fighter than Rampage ever was. The new generation is getting better and better, and by the time those two fight, if they do, Mo will whoop his ass. I'd say Rampage is top-5 still at LHW, but let's see how this new UFC Rampage does in a rematch with Shogun, or against rising stars like Banha Cane, Steve Cantwell, Johnny Bones Jones, Thiago Silva, etc. Vera's getting his confidence back too and he also has the style to beat Rampage.

I just can't stand the guy. He thinks he's the s***, he thinks he the best, but all he does is talk trash and lately, dodge fights to do television and movies. He called Machida "La Cheetah" and ripped him for running, then he goes and runs from the fight because he knows Lyoto would embarrass his ass.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 15, 2009 -> 10:45 PM)
I've seen all those videos and they only make me dislike him more.

Rampage is no doubt an elite LHW fighter, but he's not as good as he thinks he is, nor is he the athlete he thinks he is, and it's all going to be downhill for him starting with Rashad who is going to knock his block off IMO. Rampage was dogging King Mo and I guarantee King Mo becomes a better fighter than Rampage ever was. The new generation is getting better and better, and by the time those two fight, if they do, Mo will whoop his ass. I'd say Rampage is top-5 still at LHW, but let's see how this new UFC Rampage does in a rematch with Shogun, or against rising stars like Banha Cane, Steve Cantwell, Johnny Bones Jones, Thiago Silva, etc. Vera's getting his confidence back too and he also has the style to beat Rampage.

I just can't stand the guy. He thinks he's the s***, he thinks he the best, but all he does is talk trash and lately, dodge fights to do television and movies. He called Machida "La Cheetah" and ripped him for running, then he goes and runs from the fight because he knows Lyoto would embarrass his ass.

Don't let your Rampage hate blind you, because you sound pretty foolish in this post. Cane? Really? Cantwell? GTFO. Again, Lyoto needs to beat some top 5 competition before I start crowning him one of the best in the world.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Sep 16, 2009 -> 02:05 AM)
Don't let your Rampage hate blind you, because you sound pretty foolish in this post. Cane? Really? Cantwell? GTFO. Again, Lyoto needs to beat some top 5 competition before I start crowning him one of the best in the world.

You sound like a blind Rampage lover. Are you really questioning Cane's background and Cantwell's potential? Cantwell is only 22 and he's already a very well-rounded MMAer who is a fantastic athlete. He has a bunch of experience fighting at the highest levels under lots of pressure (including a UFC win already and retiring the WEC LHW title), and in his last fight he went three rounds with the buzzsaw that is Luiz Cane to force the judges. Cantwell is a prodigy who is developing very fast. Secondly, Luiz Cane is a f***ing beast. Just because you don't know who they are doesn't mean they can't come up with a way to beat Mr.Stand-there-and-try-to-box-without-checking-any-leg-kicks. The whole gameplan for anyone vs. Rampage is to move, throw leg and body kicks, and stay out of a brawl. You don't even have to be unpredictable either. If you can do that for three rounds then you can beat Rampage. He's not exactly a riddle in there.

And dude, Rampage lost to Forrest Griffin and you're saying Lyoto needs to fight better comp? Seriously? Are Franklin, Thiago Silva, Rashad, Tito, etc. all cans or something? Forrest is a very good fighter for what he is, but Lyoto has beaten better fighters than that and he's still undefeated in his career.

And also, what has Rampage done lately? He went 5 rounds with Hendo and I admit that was very impressive because Hendo is the s***. But he lost a decision to Forrest, he won a decision over Jardine that was still close late, and he KOed a slowed down Wandy who whooped the s*** out of him twice before in Pride. Rampage is not anywhere near the best LHW in the world and on pure talent and ability alone I'd have a very hard time putting him in my top-10 at LHW, let alone top-5, especially when you consider Mousasi and Anderson fighting there.

Right now I'd say Lyoto and Anderson are about 2 levels above him. Mousasi, Rashad and Shogun are above him but near his level. Jardine, Forrest, Vera, Thiago Silva, Cane, Franklin, and Hendo are all right around his level, and he could have some serious trouble against Randy as well. Bones, Cantwell, and King Mo should reach him soon, and when they do they'll pass him quickly. Rampage is very good, but he's not even close to being the fighter he thinks he is.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 16, 2009 -> 12:11 PM)
You sound like a blind Rampage lover. Are you really questioning Cane's background and Cantwell's potential? Cantwell is only 22 and he's already a very well-rounded MMAer who is a fantastic athlete. He has a bunch of experience fighting at the highest levels under lots of pressure (including a UFC win already and retiring the WEC LHW title), and in his last fight he went three rounds with the buzzsaw that is Luiz Cane to force the judges. Cantwell is a prodigy who is developing very fast. Secondly, Luiz Cane is a f***ing beast. Just because you don't know who they are doesn't mean they can't come up with a way to beat Mr.Stand-there-and-try-to-box-without-checking-any-leg-kicks. The whole gameplan for anyone vs. Rampage is to move, throw leg and body kicks, and stay out of a brawl. You don't even have to be unpredictable either. If you can do that for three rounds then you can beat Rampage. He's not exactly a riddle in there.

And dude, Rampage lost to Forrest Griffin and you're saying Lyoto needs to fight better comp? Seriously? Are Franklin, Thiago Silva, Rashad, Tito, etc. all cans or something? Forrest is a very good fighter for what he is, but Lyoto has beaten better fighters than that and he's still undefeated in his career.

And also, what has Rampage done lately? He went 5 rounds with Hendo and I admit that was very impressive because Hendo is the s***. But he lost a decision to Forrest, he won a decision over Jardine that was still close late, and he KOed a slowed down Wandy who whooped the s*** out of him twice before in Pride. Rampage is not anywhere near the best LHW in the world and on pure talent and ability alone I'd have a very hard time putting him in my top-10 at LHW, let alone top-5, especially when you consider Mousasi and Anderson fighting there.

Right now I'd say Lyoto and Anderson are about 2 levels above him. Mousasi, Rashad and Shogun are above him but near his level. Jardine, Forrest, Vera, Thiago Silva, Cane, Franklin, and Hendo are all right around his level, and he could have some serious trouble against Randy as well. Bones, Cantwell, and King Mo should reach him soon, and when they do they'll pass him quickly. Rampage is very good, but he's not even close to being the fighter he thinks he is.

I'll admit, I love me some Rampage. But the guys you've picked have something in common. They're still developing, who knows if these guys will live up to the hype (see Vera, Brandon). I don't care what you say, Rampage never lost that fight against Forrest. Was it close? Yep. Did Rampage win it? Not really. Did Forrest win it? Not really. I feel in a championship, you have to beat the champion...Forrest came close, but he didn't do it.

It seems as if your ranking guys on just talent and potential alone...I like to throw what they're doing currently into the mix. Not saying that Cane & Cantwell won't live up to it, I just wanna see it first.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Sep 16, 2009 -> 11:39 PM)
Didnt really care for the UFN card. These UFN's are usually exciting but way too sloppy for my liking.

they are lower caliber fighters or younger up and coming prospects, they are not as skilled as the top fighters. I'm not sure how you can find something exciting and not care for it. Takayama/Frye is one of the most ridiculously sloppy fights in the history of MMA, but it's one of the most exciting fights ever. I just like to enjoy the fights and not over think them.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Sep 17, 2009 -> 11:36 AM)
they are lower caliber fighters or younger up and coming prospects, they are not as skilled as the top fighters. I'm not sure how you can find something exciting and not care for it. Takayama/Frye is one of the most ridiculously sloppy fights in the history of MMA, but it's one of the most exciting fights ever. I just like to enjoy the fights and not over think them.

I didnt care for this particular card. I actually like UFN's because that means the lower level fighters are littering the PPV's.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Sep 17, 2009 -> 10:36 AM)

Really on Takayama-Frye? I can't stand that fight, can't even watch it at all. I have no idea on the backstory for that one, but I grew up a pro-wrestling fan and the first time I saw that fight I immediately thought it was fixed because it looked exactly like pro-wrestling. And I still think that too. It reminds me a lot more of Shawn Michaels-Bret Hart from the Survivor Series where McMahon screwed Bret than it does any actual fight.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 17, 2009 -> 03:59 PM)
Really on Takayama-Frye? I can't stand that fight, can't even watch it at all. I have no idea on the backstory for that one, but I grew up a pro-wrestling fan and the first time I saw that fight I immediately thought it was fixed because it looked exactly like pro-wrestling. And I still think that too. It reminds me a lot more of Shawn Michaels-Bret Hart from the Survivor Series where McMahon screwed Bret than it does any actual fight.

Yeah, it's a fun/guilty pleasure fight for me. As far as I've always heard it wasn't fixed as far as outcome, but they agreed to keep it standing and no ground.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 17, 2009 -> 03:54 PM)
Strikeforce announced that Fedor-Rogers is going to be on CBS. I think everyone expected that anyway as they weren't going to pay Fedor an assload just to stick him on Showtime.

Yeah, makes sense to me. I don't think this would have beat the Cyborg/Carno fight in ratings and that did like 500k people for the main, it just made zero sense for it to be on Showtime.

On his twitter, Dana said TUF last night did 4.1 viewers, that is very good.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 17, 2009 -> 03:54 PM)
Strikeforce announced that Fedor-Rogers is going to be on CBS. I think everyone expected that anyway as they weren't going to pay Fedor an assload just to stick him on Showtime.

Shields/Miller for the 185 belt as well. Not to mention, they're looking at putting the fight on in Chicago. I may think about attending this.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Sep 18, 2009 -> 12:06 AM)
Shields/Miller for the 185 belt as well. Not to mention, they're looking at putting the fight on in Chicago. I may think about attending this.

Looks like they are looking at the Sears Center in Hoffman Estates. Probably a good idea because it seems like the right size and it's a better venue than the UIC Pavillion IMO.

The TUF episode did something like 1.3 million more viewers than any TUF episode before.

Just watched the weigh-ins, man I am looking forward to this card. Don't forget we get to prelims on Spike starting at 8pm too.

Belfort has to drop 1/4 pound, which I imagine he'll do pretty quickly.

Franca/Griffin, Kammpmann/Daley, Trigg/Kos, Cro Cop/Dos Santos and Belfort/Franklin for the main card. Those are some potentially good match-ups. (I know some of the spellings are wrong, but just doing it off the top of my head)

Belfort finally made weight after 4 tries, little interesting since I believe he has stated that he's focused on 185 and struggled to get to 196 for catch weight, but that means he'll just have to change his camp routine going into a 185.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Sep 18, 2009 -> 04:47 PM)
Just watched the weigh-ins, man I am looking forward to this card. Don't forget we get to prelims on Spike starting at 8pm too.

Belfort has to drop 1/4 pound, which I imagine he'll do pretty quickly.

Franca/Griffin, Kammpmann/Daley, Trigg/Kos, Cro Cop/Dos Santos and Belfort/Franklin for the main card. Those are some potentially good match-ups. (I know some of the spellings are wrong, but just doing it off the top of my head)

Belfort finally made weight after 4 tries, little interesting since I believe he has stated that he's focused on 185 and struggled to get to 196 for catch weight, but that means he'll just have to change his camp routine going into a 185.

This could be one of the more entertaining cards of the year. Franca-Griffin is the only fight that I'd bet money on going to a decision, but Trigg-Kos could get there too (and God I love that fight). It's great that they've got 8 prelim fights going because otherwise, by showing a couple prelim fights for free, they might have ordinarily run out of fights to fill time with.

I never thought I would say this, but Dana should make CroCop vs. Kimbo Slice as a UFN main event or something. After last night that fight not only makes a lot of sense for both but would be a huge draw.

I love watching JDS fight and I knew he was going to win because he's far and away the better fighter right now, but CroCop really looked bad out there. He took a lot of punishment and was constantly in retreat mode before verbally submitting. CC's counter attacks didn't even look planned, it looked like an injured dog just trying to stay alive. It's like he came into the cage not even planning to fight and then he only attempted to counter because he wanted to avoid being KO'd. I think that headkick from GG took every bit of confidence and desire he had and now CC is fighting only for pride. But that said, a fight with Kimbo just makes $en$e.