MMA Thread

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ May 28, 2010 -> 11:07 PM)
In the little over 3 years that I've been watching MMA, I haven't been this excited to see a fight. They've done a great job of hyping up Rashad/Rampage.

With that being said, I hope to see Rashad get his head knocked off tomorrow night.

Can I ask why?

I used to like Rampage more than Rashad (by a lot), but that completely flipped after their stints as coaches for TUF. Rampage came off as a real piece of s*** to me, all of the s*** talking and starting fights with guys who are nowhere near his training or ability, plus he was an absolutely terrible coach and didn't seem to give a s*** about his fighters. Rashad seemed to be a very good coach and basically the exact opposite of Rampage.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 29, 2010 -> 11:11 AM)
Can I ask why?

I used to like Rampage more than Rashad (by a lot), but that completely flipped after their stints as coaches for TUF. Rampage came off as a real piece of s*** to me, all of the s*** talking and starting fights with guys who are nowhere near his training or ability, plus he was an absolutely terrible coach and didn't seem to give a s*** about his fighters. Rashad seemed to be a very good coach and basically the exact opposite of Rampage.

The more I think about it, the more I dont care who wins. I really dont like either so I hope someone gets KOed.

QUOTE (zenryan @ May 29, 2010 -> 03:23 PM)
The more I think about it, the more I dont care who wins. I really dont like either so I hope someone gets KOed.

well barring a major injury that takes awhile to heal up, the winner is getting a title shot, so there has to be interest at that level.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 30, 2010 -> 10:56 PM)
No Evans/Rampage talk?

I know Rampage isnt going to have a lot to talk about after losing. He certainly didnt do what he said he would do.

I think the main event for the first 12 or so minutes was a HUGE letdown. Evans just held Rampage against the fence and Rampage couldnt stop it. Then when Rampage finally had the first chance to end the fight, he couldnt b/c he was gassed. Guess he was tired but he was another 30 seconds away from stopping it. Then Evans took advantage of a gassed Rampage to score some damage for the first time since the opening minute of the fight. Major letdown in this fight.

Surprised that so many people scream robbery over the Lil Nog fight. I thought Nog eeked out round 1 and won the third. It could have gone either way but it was too close to cry about it.

Bisping sucks. He is boring and is nothing more than a gatekeeper.

Surprised to see Diego get worked like that. Be interesting to see where his career goes from here.

I am looking forward to seeing Evans being on the end of another highlight reel KO. Put I'm sure his gameplan will be to lay and pray for 25 minutes.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 30, 2010 -> 09:56 PM)
No Evans/Rampage talk?

I know Rampage isnt going to have a lot to talk about after losing. He certainly didnt do what he said he would do.

Lots of drinking last night + hangover + work all day today = not getting on to posting. At least for me though.

I thought the main event was just bleh. I can handle that my favorite fighter didn't implement his gameplan like he should of, but it seems that he went to the GSP school of thought to win this fight. Except GSP attempts to finish every now & then it seems. Let's see Rashad try that against Shogun's muay thai & underrated BJJ game. I'd like to think that Forrest/Rampage II would be a nice fight on deck.

Bisping's a gatekeeper, if Belcher wants a co-main event fight...I say you make that fight next. Miller's gotta improve his stand up a bit if he wants to make moves at 185.

I was clowning Russow the entire fight...unti he knocked out Duffee. Luckily for Duffee, he's young enough to where this loss doesn't hurt him a whole lot.

Brilz didn't get robbed, but he won. Judges shouldn't be afraid to rule a 10-10 round, because that 1st round could of deserved that score.

I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to Sanchez/Hathaway or the spike prelims due to the Hawks game being on at the same time & most of the TVs had that on. But from what I saw...

Hathaway could develop into something pretty good & Dan Lauzon will probably be out of a job.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ May 31, 2010 -> 02:21 AM)
Lots of drinking last night + hangover + work all day today = not getting on to posting. At least for me though.

I thought the main event was just bleh. I can handle that my favorite fighter didn't implement his gameplan like he should of, but it seems that he went to the GSP school of thought to win this fight. Except GSP attempts to finish every now & then it seems. Let's see Rashad try that against Shogun's muay thai & underrated BJJ game. I'd like to think that Forrest/Rampage II would be a nice fight on deck.

Bisping's a gatekeeper, if Belcher wants a co-main event fight...I say you make that fight next. Miller's gotta improve his stand up a bit if he wants to make moves at 185.

I was clowning Russow the entire fight...unti he knocked out Duffee. Luckily for Duffee, he's young enough to where this loss doesn't hurt him a whole lot.

Brilz didn't get robbed, but he won. Judges shouldn't be afraid to rule a 10-10 round, because that 1st round could of deserved that score.

I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to Sanchez/Hathaway or the spike prelims due to the Hawks game being on at the same time & most of the TVs had that on. But from what I saw...

Hathaway could develop into something pretty good & Dan Lauzon will probably be out of a job.

So you had Brilz winning the first two rounds then? I'd like to see more 10-10 rounds in cases like this. This fight would have been a draw and I think I could live with that. I think Brilz "lost" the fight in the final 15 seconds of the second when Nog was out of it and Brilz just let the clock run out. If Brilz goes after Nog and gets a knock down or a takedown with a few seconds of GnP, he might have gotten a 10-8 round.

This is one of the big problems in judging fights by rounds instead of the overall fight like PRIDE would do. A fighter could do just enough to win the first 2 rounds and then get blasted in the 3rd and at worst get a draw decision if 2 judges make it a 10-8 round. And since 10-8 rounds are rare, chances are the fighter skating by the first 2 rounds will win.

Edited by zenryan

QUOTE (zenryan @ May 31, 2010 -> 02:27 AM)
So you had Brilz winning the first two rounds then? I'd like to see more 10-10 rounds in cases like this. This fight would have been a draw and I think I could live with that. I think Brilz "lost" the fight in the final 15 seconds of the second when Nog was out of it and Brilz just let the clock run out. If Brilz goes after Nog and gets a knock down or a takedown with a few seconds of GnP, he might have gotten a 10-8 round.

This is one of the big problems in judging fights by rounds instead of the overall fight like PRIDE would do. A fighter could do just enough to win the first 2 rounds and then get blasted in the 3rd and at worst get a draw decision if 2 judges make it a 10-8 round. And since 10-8 rounds are rare, chances are the fighter skating by the first 2 rounds will win.

Yeah, I gave the first two to Brilz. Is there some reason why the UFC can't have specific MMA judges instead of boxing judges? It seems as if they're afraid to give out 10-10 rounds when there have been what seems like quite a few fights in the past year that could of been judged that way.

Anyone can be a fighter these days. I like how the article only claims him as a MMA fighter. I mean the guy has 1 fight in his "career" at some fairgrounds in Oregon for a promotion called Brass Knuckle. I guess being a MMA fighter or "ultimate fighter" is more sensational than "Janitor of 8 years...."

Diego needs to go back to lightweight.. I cannot understand his logic of dropping to lightweight, getting two wins then facing the champ BJ Penn, then after a crushing loss he moves up to 170? I dont understand why he didnt just stay at lightweight and keep training and earning another shot at the title. He looked so sluggish at 170. I hate to see my fav fighter get a loss like that

QUOTE (zenryan @ May 31, 2010 -> 12:36 AM)
I am looking forward to seeing Evans being on the end of another highlight reel KO. Put I'm sure his gameplan will be to lay and pray for 25 minutes.

Rashad's gameplan wasn't lay and pray at all. The goal was to use Rampage's time off against him by making Rampage play Rashad's game and taking the fight to the third. In the meantime, Rashad worked every time he was in position to, but Rampage did a great job of getting to his feet and defending.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ May 31, 2010 -> 01:21 AM)

Rampage didn't have a chance to implement his gameplan because Rashad wouldn't let him do it.

Rashad tried to finish Rampage and tried to finish/work toward a finish when he had Rampage down, but he couldn't keep him there long enough. My problem with Rashad in this fight (and I don't think it's GSP's mentality, it's more Greg Jackson) is that Rashad should have used the third to make a statement. Rashad could have taken out Rampage but he opted to play it safe and it hurt him in the end, and he almost got finished as a result.

Whether you like Rashad or not, it's very clear that the guy is an amazing athlete who is very well-rounded, works hard and picks up things quickly, and who also listens to his coach, so he should *in theory* not have to try to squeak by tough opponents. In theory, this guy should be able to use all of his skills instead of just a couple. I'm really starting to detest Greg Jackson because I'm a Rashad fan and I don't think he's helping Rashad at all anymore, and now I'm scared he's going to impress this safety s*** on Jon Jones, which would be nothing short of a travesty.

I thought months back that Rashad would basically do in the first 2 rounds what he did do (except I thought he'd use more of a Forrest/Jardine gameplan instead of wrestling only) but I figured he'd try to wear out and frustrate Rampage for 2 rounds by using his full MMA arsenal and taking the fight 10-9 easily each round. Rashad did that. I thought, however, that the point of doing this would be to force Rampage out of his game and get Rampage to come at him like a worn-out, frustrated brawler instead of a well-conditioned, worry-free boxer, which would allow Rashad to use his handspeed and quickness to his advantage when countering. But of course Rashad played the first part of the plan perfectly and then instead of trying to win a fight convincingly he tried to win an athletic contest by a p**** hair. I can't stand that crap at all from fighters as talented as Rashad is. As soon as Rampage became aggressive he backed up like a wuss instead of setting him up like he should have. And the thing is, anyone who stands in front of Chuck and looks to KO him dead is no wuss, so I think it's Greg Jackson getting to him. But man that pisses me off.

Anyway, against Shogun Rashad *will* have to use his wrestling for all 5 rounds simply out of necessity, since Shogun is better than him in every other area sans maybe power, where they could be equals. I think Shogun will take Rashad out before the 5th, but Rashad has a much better chance against Shogun than Rampage would have in a rematch IMO.

Hey guys, im planning a road trip from chicago to boston for the next ufc fan expo in august. I just wanted to know if anyone has gone to one of these before and can tell me how the experience is, and would it be worth the drive, and how does the whole autograph session deal work? Ill implode if Diego Sanchez and Thiago Silva are some of the guys at the expo giving autographs.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 09:28 PM)
Hey guys, im planning a road trip from chicago to boston for the next ufc fan expo in august. I just wanted to know if anyone has gone to one of these before and can tell me how the experience is, and would it be worth the drive, and how does the whole autograph session deal work? Ill implode if Diego Sanchez and Thiago Silva are some of the guys at the expo giving autographs.

The one they just had in Vegas over the weekend had Mir and Uriah doing some sessions on MMA. From what I heard all the stars we're there and signing, GSP had a 7 hour line from reports. Seems like they bring in all the big stars and make everyone accessible.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 09:28 PM)

I've never been to one, but they have Grappler's Quest there and all kinds of other stuff. It seems that everyone from the fighters to the UFC brass to the ring girls are very approachable, so it should be a blast if you go. And if you do, of course you have to let everyone here know about it. One thing though, you might want to get one of those UFC Fight Club memberships beforehand because I think you need one of those to get into the Q&A sessions as well as the HoF induction events, assuming they have another, which they probably will now.

QUOTE (Mr. Showtime @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 06:03 PM)
The one they just had in Vegas over the weekend had Mir and Uriah doing some sessions on MMA. From what I heard all the stars we're there and signing, GSP had a 7 hour line from reports. Seems like they bring in all the big stars and make everyone accessible.

the Vegas one also had grappling exhibition matches

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 02:08 AM)
Shogun is out against Rashad, and it's his knee again. He had surgery already. What a f***ing shame too.

ugh. I hope the UFC gives Shogun the time he needs to heal instead of giving another joke interim title fight to Evans and whoever.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 01:34 AM)
ugh. I hope the UFC gives Shogun the time he needs to heal instead of giving another joke interim title fight to Evans and whoever.

depending on how long he's out, I'm ok with interim titles, it gives a 5 round fight against two top contenders and it keeps the division moving

Edited by SoxFan562004

Lots of dumb s*** about how the Franklin shot on Chuck wasn't powerful, etc. Chuck was rushing in, didn't see it, and Rich had his feet planted and delivered a strong, short shot that he could get his body into. People need to STFU. Chuck is probably done but that same shot under those same circumstances at least knocks down a bunch of guys.

Great night of fights overall though. CC-Barry was fun to see. Barry reminds me of that South Park episode where Randy Marsh is bouncing up and down the street on his inflated testicles. He never followed up on his knockdowns, never tried to take the fight down unless it was a reversal situation, and he tried to beat CC at his own game. He did the same against Hardonk. That guy is fun to watch.

Evan Dunham looked incredible.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 01:34 AM)

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 05:12 PM)
depending on how long he's out, I'm ok with interim titles, it gives a 5 round fight against two top contenders and it keeps the division moving

I agree with both of you. The interim belt that GSP won beating Hughes was nice because you knew that the winner was the best WW in the world despite Serra holding the belt. The belt Nog beat Sylvia for obviously was necessary since Randy was out. The Mir-Carwin belt however was really stupid and useless since 1) there was no way that fight was going past the 3rd round, 2) the UFC already knew Brock would be back by the time the winner could fight, 3) there was and still is dispute about the legitimate #1 contender (Cigano? Cain?) in the same company, nevermind the rest of the world. The Mir-Carwin belt was a hype machine belt IMO and those are the ones I don't like.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 01:32 AM)
This pay per view really has made me a big Pat Barry fan. What a fun guy to watch and what a class act! :headbang

I didn't like all the hugging and I thought Cro Cop absolutely schooled him.

Berry knocked him down twice and decided to wait for him instead of finishing him? It was great for the public/tv but that's not how you win fights.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 12:37 PM)
I didn't like all the hugging and I thought Cro Cop absolutely schooled him.

Berry knocked him down twice and decided to wait for him instead of finishing him? It was great for the public/tv but that's not how you win fights.

Berry is kind of small to impact much at HW, he was a perfect matchup for Cro Cop, wanted to keep it standing, couldn't finish him and terrible ground game, being finished in the UFC with a RNC with no hooks or any bottom body control is really inexcusable... with that said, I hope the UFC keeps him around, he is a great guy to have on cards to match-up with other bangers.