MMA Thread

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 05:10 PM)
Berry is kind of small to impact much at HW, he was a perfect matchup for Cro Cop, wanted to keep it standing, couldn't finish him and terrible ground game, being finished in the UFC with a RNC with no hooks or any bottom body control is really inexcusable... with that said, I hope the UFC keeps him around, he is a great guy to have on cards to match-up with other bangers.

I agree he's small, but he's still better off as a HW. In the HW division there are a lot of guys like Rothwell, Yvel, Struve, Russow, Gonzaga, Kongo, etc. who will all want to stand for the most part, and even if one of those guys wants to get the takedown it shouldn't be a huge issue for a guy like Barry to improve to the point where he can keep it standing against those kinds of fighters. And those fighters aren't even the bottom of the HW ladder, either. There are a few guys the UFC has at HW that are a ton worse. But at LHW a guy like Barry is absolutely f***ed, because as soon as he's got his foot in the door he'll have to beat someone like Keith Jardine, Brandon Vera, Matt Hamill, Luiz Cane, etc. just to stick around. So in that regard I don't think his size is much of an issue, because he'll be able to hang with some of the name, main card UFC HWs as long as he keeps improving, and his style is enough to keep him around and make him some money.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 12:37 PM)
I didn't like all the hugging and I thought Cro Cop absolutely schooled him.

Berry knocked him down twice and decided to wait for him instead of finishing him? It was great for the public/tv but that's not how you win fights.

CC looked a bit better but he still looked like a guy who would have gotten his ass kicked had Barry went in there like a killer.

Barry probably regrets not following up a bit more, but in the end I think he'll benefit more for it. The show of respect towards CC won him a lot of fans and that could go a long way for him in the future, especially if he gets on a losing streak and has to fight outside of the UFC. Barry is never going to be a title contender so the win doesn't mean a whole lot. His upside is basically a HW Chris Lytle with no ground game.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it happened, Fedor lost cleanly... he followed Werdum to the ground and used zero technique against a BJJ black belt and tapped to an arm bar/triangle combo... major blow for strikeforce.

Also, watching Cyborg fight is sick in a wrong way... she mauled her opponent tonight and even the savy San Jose crowd was booing the beating, very uncomfortable to watch.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 26, 2010 -> 10:54 PM)

Well, it happened, Fedor lost cleanly... he followed Werdum to the ground and used zero technique against a BJJ black belt and tapped to an arm bar/triangle combo... major blow for strikeforce.

Also, watching Cyborg fight is sick in a wrong way... she mauled her opponent tonight and even the savy San Jose crowd was booing the beating, very uncomfortable to watch.

I'll bold mine too.

Meh, Fedor is still amazing and still the better fighter, although this is a major blow to the Fedor ball suckers who think he's unquestionably the #1 P4P fighter in the world despite never having faced the type of P4P fighters guys like BJ, GSP, Aldo, even Anderson have. The big win in all of this is that now M-1 loses a s*** ton of negotiating power and hopefully we'll finally get to see the guy in the UFC. Of course if Werdum can beat Overeem then Fedor will probably want to extend for at least one more fight to get a shot at redemption. Either way, people will think this is bad for Strikeforce, but IMO it's the best possible outcome for them. Now they've got M-1 by the balls (get that ugly M-1 s*** off their banners) and they don't have to worry about bulls*** impromptu renegotiations, nor do they have to worry about their HW champ taking the belt and bolting like Shields is doing, at least not right now. Furthermore, Strikeforce's HW division has just been legitimized and interest in a Werdum-Fedor rematch will exist even if Werdum does lose to Overeem, and for once Strikeforce will have the power to call the shots against M-1 in those negotiations since Werdum is full Strikeforce property.

Didn't watch Cyborg, decided to watch a replay of Doerksen-Lawler on Spike. I wish women's MMA would be held somewhere I didn't want to look. Missed the douchebag's retirement ceremony too. f*** that guy, legend or not, for being a s***ty broadcaster who can't even get far enough past his ego to give props to great fighters while they're dominating fights.

I would agree this would be good for Strikeforce if they had a bigger toehold with the casual fan, but they don't... the last CBS card did poorly and the AO/Brett Rogers Showtime did about average ratings for them. Fedor's draw is he was this mystical unstoppable monster, that is completely gone now and will be made worse because Dana will have Spike show the replay of JDS/Werdum every hour on the hour if he can. If Brock wins on Saturday Dana will push him to the sky, as he will do if Carwin wins... with many casual fans it's what Zuffa says about MMA is gospel and he was 2-2 in the UFC and they will use that against him like there's no tomorrow with the casual fan...

CBS isn't exactly going to rush to give them another show and Showtime has limited houses.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 26, 2010 -> 11:38 PM)

I would agree this would be good for Strikeforce if they had a bigger toehold with the casual fan, but they don't... the last CBS card did poorly and the AO/Brett Rogers Showtime did about average ratings for them. Fedor's draw is he was this mystical unstoppable monster, that is completely gone now and will be made worse because Dana will have Spike show the replay of JDS/Werdum every hour on the hour if he can. If Brock wins on Saturday Dana will push him to the sky, as he will do if Carwin wins... with many casual fans it's what Zuffa says about MMA is gospel and he was 2-2 in the UFC and they will use that against him like there's no tomorrow with the casual fan...

CBS isn't exactly going to rush to give them another show and Showtime has limited houses.

You make some great points here. I do wonder though how much of a draw Fedor even is. I mean, yes he did pretty well in the ratings for CBS IIRC (like near-Kimbo numbers) but he was also hyped during NFL games and on late night TV and so forth. Fedor got a ton more pub from CBS than anyone else really, so the ratings vs. Rogers could have just been a one-time thing and nothing that proves he's a draw. And if he's not much of a draw, then losing to someone else who also isn't a draw doesn't hurt them.

It's kind of funny how this worked out and how this may play out in the future. M-1 wanted to take the easier route where they could strong-arm the small promotion and get the UFC to give them press in the MMA media during negotiations, but Fedor ended up getting hurt by Rogers who was hardly even on the map and then subbed in the first by Werdum who was like a zillion-to-one dog and a guy who had an unremarkable UFC run which ended in a spectacular KO to one of their top young stars. So now M-1 finds themselves in a position where Fedor only has one fight left with them, and he'll probably want to avenge his only real loss in Strikeforce, but he'll also have to consider the UFC fighters who offer more prestige should he beat them. But the UFC will have all the leverage if Fedor wants to fight their champ (and Fedor isn't going to immediately challenge for the belt either - you KNOW Dana is going to serve up one of the best guys they have for a first fight) and if Fedor wants to avenge his loss to Werdum, then you know Coker is going to demand at least a 2-fight extension (and perhaps Coker finally comes up with a UFC-style champions clause) if Fedor wants that. Meanwhile, Aleks will be in Fedor's ear (and possibly Mousasi as well?) telling him to leave M-1 in the first place. So now s*** just got about a zillion times more difficult for all involved, and in hindsight, the best decision would have been the UFC, because at least a loss there doesn't end in a PR burial by Dana White and a huge slash in contract dollars. I'm rambling now so I'll stop.

Fedor did lower than Kimbo numbers, closer than Shields/Hendo did, but still about a notch lower and Shields/Hendo had commercials during the NCAA tournament. So Fedor wasn't a huge ratings draw, but still the biggest one they had.

I agree, I will be fascinated how this plays out, Dana's twitter post after the fight was simply ":D" I'm not saying this will put SF under or anything, but it will be hard for them to take a major jump now, again, there's nothing they can sell CBS because even a Fedor/Werdum rematch will be sullied by Dana and the UFC running around with the JDS KO and the 2-2 record in the UFC to take the luster off it. AO/Werdum is not a PPV or CBS draw. As you pointed out Fedor having one fight on his SF contract less makes it even more odd because SF won't, or shouldn't, let him fight anyone until he resigns, but then again Fedor has zero leverage right now except Japan. Also, in San Jose, a great MMA town, Meltzer reported they tarped off about 20% of the upper deck and you could still buy blocks of 10-20 tickets together all over the building, so the attendance may have been OK, but it wasn't a crazy demand.

Although, with SF's recent HW matchmaking, I think Fedor losing means he gets a title shot!

IMO though you're giving CBS too much credit. Coker came out after Kimbo was released by the UFC saying that Strikeforce didn't have interest in doing freakshows, yet there's talk that WWE's Batista is on his way over there. Kimbo is about 1000X more legit than Batista is. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see the next (if there is a next) CBS show featuring Herschel vs. someone as bad as Greg Nudge or worse + Lashley vs. Batista and then a real fight in the main. And anyway, if there's one thing CBS doesn't want it's probably more title fights. Maybe do those fights plus Hendo vs. Jacare in the main event or something.

San Jose is a little overloaded. I know they do their shows there because of the ownership having the arena, but they really need to take that on the road more.

The contract talks with Fedor will be interesting. One big thing is the latest renegotiation where M-1 had Strikeforce put their logo on everything and brand the entire show as half an M-1 product despite only having 1 fighter on the card and not doing jack s*** to help Strikeforce beyond that. You can bet Coker has had enough of that crap, and I really doubt Fedor gets a shot at anyone significant unless M-1 is completely out of the picture. They already are committed to one more M-1 branded show and that has to be it. Honestly if I were Coker and I could release Fedor from the M-1 deal outright I'd just do that. Negotiate straight with him and not M-1, and if Fedor wants to go to the UFC instead then you can legitimately claim your champ as the true #1 guy without having to play M-1's little game.

I think Coker has learned from all this stuff and, being a good promoter, he's going to start acting a lot like a smart promoter. IMO championship clauses will be coming, the DREAM partnership will end, Coker will go shopping for a better partner than CBS when the deal is through, and the days of M-1 or anyone else holding the company hostage are over. Showtime seems to have been a good partner so far, and maybe Coker's product has done enough now to warrant a little more leverage on Strikeforce's part. Maybe in the next round of negotiations Strikeforce will be able to have more of a say on their cards.

I also hope Coker gets it that women's MMA is just something that hardcore fans say they support so as not to sound like pricks. Nobody important wants to see that s***. Nobody wants to see like 5 elite girls in the world beat the unholy s*** out of about a 1000 other girls who don't even belong in the sport. Aside from the female violence thing, the fights aren't even competitive and even "the biggest women's MMA fight in history" was a lopsided joke. Coker should get smarter and change it up a bit in the future, and I fully expect him to start showing some testicles in the next round of M-1 talks, as he should.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

I'm not gonna put any of this in spoilers. If you haven't seen or heard about Fedor getting tapped by now...

We saw the biggest upset in MMA history tonight. Simple. No need to overreact though. We're going to see plenty of pieces about how Fedor has lost his mystique or how he may be fighting in the wrong weight class, etc. Nah, none of that. Werdum was the better man tonight. That is all.

However...

M-1's biggest bargaining chip just took a hit AND Strikeforce's biggest draw took a hit as well. Sure Werdum/Overeem should be booked, but this won't get them any closer to getting a PPV. I'm also willing to go on record as saying that a #1 fighter in any division will be from outside of the Zuffa umbrella.

Carwin/Lesnar will be #1 in heavyweight after next saturday & so on with the other weight classes. If you didn't believe that the ball was in Dana's court, after this & basically strong-arming Tapout...it's his.

In other news. Cung Le with a beautiful spinning back kick & Cris Cyborg should probably start fighting dudes. Good night all.

I spent the day/night helping a friend move and got in front of the tv around midnight expecting to atleast see the main event. Of course by then the fight was over and before the broadcasters mentioned the result, I knew Fedor lost because it seemed like someone had just died.

I hope there is a rematch just so Fedor can right this. He loses some of that aura but he can KO Werdum and a quick KO will show how it was just a fluke upset(ie Serra-GSP fights).

But I'm also happy that it was Werdum that did it. The guy has always had talent but he never put it all together in the UFC. Hopefully this can spring board him. He seems like a pretty good guy too if you watched any of those videos of him.

Yeah Mhizzle, that is a point I should make, I still think Fedor is the greatest fighter I've ever seen and this is only one loss, but I was focusing more on today and going forward in my posts above about how this is such a huge loss for Fedor and SF. Fedor's brand was built around this almost mythical unbeatable persona which is completely gone, it could have sold so well to the casual fan but SF didn't have the resources to make it happen on a large scale, I have no doubt his comeback will be very intriguing to hardcore fans, but it won't to casual. SF basically has to make a call with him right now, either he signs like 1 3-5 fight deal or they bury the next M-1/SF show and let him be a FA and see what Dana might offer him, I have no doubt the UFC with all the PRIDE footage and their marketing can still spin him and make money off of him.

KHP, if Fedor goes to the UFC by the end of the year after one SF match Coker really can't claim he's the legit number 1, it's one of the main reasons Dana was so careful to never praise Fedor too much in the press. All Zuffa has to do to the casual fans to discredit Werdum is point to the JDS KO, his 2-2 record in the UFC and that he always questioned Fedor's status, now I'm not going to get into the merits of those arguments, I'm just saying he can easily sell those to the common fans.

Cung Le did what he should have done to Scott Smith the first time out, Smith was/is a perfect opponent for Le, he is a guy who wants to strand up and his movement is terrible, it's straight in and straight out, he's a tough guy who Le couldn't finish the first time and paid the price. Honestly Le would have a tough time cracking the 185 top ten and will likely get mopped up in the 185 tournament when Shields vacates and signs with the UFC.

Hizzle, I don't get what you mean by this... "I'm also willing to go on record as saying that a #1 fighter in any division will be from outside of the Zuffa umbrella."

Because I think basically every MMA journalist will have #1's as follows...

HW- Winner of Brock/Carwin (Although I would probably have Fedor at 1 still just like I still have BJ after his loss, but my personal rankings are a little different, I don't go off record, I go off if X fought Y who would I pick)

LHW- Shogun followed by a number of Zuffa guys with King Mo eventually showing up further down, Gegard fell out of the top 10 put can jump quickly up after a strong performance.

MW- Anderson Silva- Yeah, he has been a bit of a joke lately, but he's clearly the best 185 in the world and only really Jorge Santiago and Hendo even having any presence outside of Zuffa

WW- GSP all day obviously, and a bunch of Zuffa guys behind him with Diaz and Shields (Shileds best weight is 170 although he's been at 185 due to SF lack of depth) in the mix too.

LW- People will have Edgar at #1, I don't agree, I would still have BJ, but again even with records this is the spot where a non-Zuffa guy could be at #1 with Melendez, but even that is a stretch, this is by far the hardest to name a #1 using records, this is also the deepest weight class IMO, non-Zuffa guys like Alvarez, Melendez, Kawajiri are awesome and I would even put Aoki up there still despite his terrible showing against Melendez. Actually I think a very underrated guy is KFlo, he's a bad man but a clear #2 to BJ in the UFC.

Feather and Bantam Zuffa has the top guys in Aldo and Cruz and have many of the top 10 although there are a lot of talented top ten quality in Japan

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 09:48 AM)
I spent the day/night helping a friend move and got in front of the tv around midnight expecting to atleast see the main event. Of course by then the fight was over and before the broadcasters mentioned the result, I knew Fedor lost because it seemed like someone had just died.

I hope there is a rematch just so Fedor can right this. He loses some of that aura but he can KO Werdum and a quick KO will show how it was just a fluke upset(ie Serra-GSP fights).

But I'm also happy that it was Werdum that did it. The guy has always had talent but he never put it all together in the UFC. Hopefully this can spring board him. He seems like a pretty good guy too if you watched any of those videos of him.

Werdum's stand-up is still a major question mark and something that's keeping me from thinking he has a chance to stick around, he basically had a great plan by feigning being hurt and getting Fedor to follow him to the ground and once he got there Fedor used terrible technique, could of stood up after the 1st arm bar or at least used better BJJ defense which he has showed numerous times in past fights.

Anybody with good take down defense and quality BJJ defense should be favored over Werdum and that's many guys in the HW division. Again, Werdum is a very good fighter and has a legit chance at winning any match in the HW div, but as you point out a rematch would go very different IMO.

Fedor is still the best HW of all time (and therefore the guy who would win the most fights of all time if there were no weight classes) but I'm glad the loss came because I'm sick of the people who think it's a joke to even question anyone other than Fedor as the P4P best. Fedor never has and probably never will face the quality of P4P opposition that exists in the other weight classes because the HW division has been the last division to evolve, and that's just really happening now. There simply has never been the quality of all-around fighter and all-around athlete at HW that there is everywhere else, so at best you have to guess that Fedor would still be the best HW in the world even if HW versions of some of the guys GSP has dispatched (for example) existed and fought him. Seriously, CC and Nog were probably the only guys Fedor has fought in the last several years worthy of any kind of P4P ranking. Lindland was probably the next closest (and would have been wholly undeserving of that status) and Lindland is a damn MW, and Fedor still had some trouble there and had to grab the ropes in the fight.

And what really got to me about the Fedor = best P4P debate was the fact that so many people would point to his record as evidence as well as his sheer win total. A lot of those wins are spectacular wins no doubt (or at least they were at the time), but a lot of them aren't worth two s***s to be honest. And furthermore, a loss on a record shouldn't hurt anyone's case in the P4P argument unless it was very recent and a bad one. Take GSP for instance. There's no way GSP is the fighter he is today without suffering those losses to Hughes and Serra. I can definitely see people pointing to BJ's losses to Edgar and Pulver as reasons for claiming he's not a top P4P fighter despite having top P4P abilities, but I can't see anyone saying anything against GSP for his losses since GSP has come back from each one of them to dominate *even better* opponents than the ones he originally lost to.

I also think Fedor will be the same way as GSP and I think he will come back even stronger because of this loss. In fact, maybe at this point Fedor needed that loss. Maybe he was getting complacent. Maybe he needs to be challenged. Werdum is a very good fighter but he's not at the bottom of the HW rankings by accident, and if Fedor really does want to end his career with a bang and take out the big guns in the UFC then he will have to approach his fights a lot differently in the future. AA, Sylvia, and Rogers were impressive wins, but make no mistake, all three of those guys get their asses handed to them in the UFC right now by guys who aren't even in the immediate title picture.

I don't want any of this to sound like Fedor hate either, because you still have to look at his career in totality and say that up to at least a couple of years ago he has been the GOAT, and when it's all said and done Fedor should always be one of those fighters who ends up in the GOAT conversation. But I'm just glad to see some of the embarrassing nuthuggery go (even though seeing all the people s***ting on Fedor now is actually even worse) because when you look at the P4P debate objectively it really isn't even close to being clear-cut. And if anyone is in the lead right now IMO it should be between Aldo (who is actually a 135lb. fighter competing a weight class above where he should be and threatening to take on some 155ers) and GSP. But then again you have to also look at Frankie Edgar as a 145lber who has strung off a s*** ton of impressive victories (including one over the LW GOAT) at a weight class above his natural one, and you never see him mentioned as a top P4P fighter. But yeah, the waters are really freaking muddy in that debate, and the "yer a n00b if u think any1 but Fedor is p4p #1" bulls*** deserves to die a horrible death.

P4P rankings are a joke anyways. It's so subjective so it is impossible to really say. Plus so many fighter cut weight these days to make smaller classes. Atleast Anderson has the balls to move up and fight 205ers. BJ Penn too isnt afraid to step up either, unlike GSP. Fedor is soft and most likely could cut to 205 but he doesnt.

And the UG is reminding me a lot why that place sucks. I mean it's not like Fedor lost to some TUF winner(cough, GSP,cough). It's MMA and anyone who fights at the highest of levels will eventually lose. I find it funny how many quickly dismissed Serra's upset and called it a fluke but so many are saying Werdum would "dominate" Fedor again.

I'm a huge Fedor fan but I'm not shocked. Maybe its because how he lost, it wasnt like he got punished for 3 rounds or got KOed and we saw him asleep. It seems like ever since M-1 started bringing Fedor over here to fight, he's been a puppet to them even more to gain attention. Maybe now we'll see if he focuses more and picks himself up. And if he does keep fighting, hopefully be more active in it. Either way, it'll take a lot for someone to surpass him as the greatest of all time.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 05:16 PM)
P4P rankings are a joke anyways. It's so subjective so it is impossible to really say. Plus so many fighter cut weight these days to make smaller classes. Atleast Anderson has the balls to move up and fight 205ers. BJ Penn too isnt afraid to step up either, unlike GSP. Fedor is soft and most likely could cut to 205 but he doesnt.

And the UG is reminding me a lot why that place sucks. I mean it's not like Fedor lost to some TUF winner(cough, GSP,cough). It's MMA and anyone who fights at the highest of levels will eventually lose. I find it funny how many quickly dismissed Serra's upset and called it a fluke but so many are saying Werdum would "dominate" Fedor again.

I'm a huge Fedor fan but I'm not shocked. Maybe its because how he lost, it wasnt like he got punished for 3 rounds or got KOed and we saw him asleep. It seems like ever since M-1 started bringing Fedor over here to fight, he's been a puppet to them even more to gain attention. Maybe now we'll see if he focuses more and picks himself up. And if he does keep fighting, hopefully be more active in it. Either way, it'll take a lot for someone to surpass him as the greatest of all time.

GSP supposedly does want to move up but he wants to make it a permanent move (can't really argue with that) so he's been bulking up. After the Kos rematch he'll get Shields and that should be it for him at WW, at least one would hope.

M-1 hasn't done one damn thing that's good for Fedor. They're a joke all the way around and hopefully Aleks and Mousasi get him to ditch those jagbags. Whatever Fedor's stake in the company is, it probably won't be worth jack s*** one year from now anyway given the people in charge.

I generally ignore the UG after PPVs because there is always a ton of stupidity going around. Last time it was like 2/3 the board saying Chuck didn't get hit hard by Franklin and yadda yadda yadda, Chuck was never any good and Tito would destroy him now (really, the broken skull Tito), all kinds of bulls***. It was the same s*** with Machida, and it'll be the same s*** with the Lesnar-Carwin loser and everyone else. It's just crazy how people can watch a fight and then spout some of this dumb crap off afterwards, but I guess it's the same thing as here on this board. So-and-so the AAAA player has a strong year and all kinds of people think he's a sure-fire superstar while someone else who is supremely talented (like Rios last year) really struggles and then people think he's done. Just retarded. It's obvious what Fedor did wrong, and at this point you can't even blame Fedor himself for that, it's more M-1's fault IMO. But he'll come back strong.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 27, 2010 -> 09:53 AM)
Hizzle, I don't get what you mean by this... "I'm also willing to go on record as saying that a #1 fighter in any division will be from outside of the Zuffa umbrella."

My bad, I meant that that a #1 fighter will never be from outside of the Zuffa umbrella.

Going to have to miss 116 Saturday for a wedding, will be an interesting card though. Leban has a chance to take a huge jump in 2 weeks if he can beat Akiyama and the other 3 PPV fights aren't exactly contender fights (although Sotiropoulos is a fighter to keep an eye on) all have a chance to be barn burners, hence they're on a card that will get a lot of casual 1-2x a year PPV buyers with Brock on is.

As for the main, I don't know who to pick, if Brock didn't have the year lay off I would lean towards him but still very close. Brock's chin hasn't really been tested so that will be the interesting thing to see because Carwin hits extremely hard, I can see a stalemate type of match with Brock laying on Carwin standing against the cage

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 05:38 PM)
Going to have to miss 116 Saturday for a wedding, will be an interesting card though. Leban has a chance to take a huge jump in 2 weeks if he can beat Akiyama and the other 3 PPV fights aren't exactly contender fights (although Sotiropoulos is a fighter to keep an eye on) all have a chance to be barn burners, hence they're on a card that will get a lot of casual 1-2x a year PPV buyers with Brock on is.

As for the main, I don't know who to pick, if Brock didn't have the year lay off I would lean towards him but still very close. Brock's chin hasn't really been tested so that will be the interesting thing to see because Carwin hits extremely hard, I can see a stalemate type of match with Brock laying on Carwin standing against the cage

I'm in the same boat as you stuck in a wedding down state this weekend. However, looks like a solid card and it should be a lot of fun to watch on Sunday.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Jul 1, 2010 -> 08:21 PM)
I'm in the same boat as you stuck in a wedding down state this weekend. However, looks like a solid card and it should be a lot of fun to watch on Sunday.

yeah, luckily for me it should be an awesome wedding, it's a luau theme so flip flops and a Hawaiian shirt!