MMA Thread

UFC.com has a link to a video with the highlights from the weigh-in, this is the order they have the fights in for the PPV and probably what they'll end up being in starting from first to last (don't flame wrong spelling, I'm just doing this off the top of my head)

C.B. Dalloway vs. Mike Massenzio

Cheik Congo vs. Mustafa Al-Turk

Wanderlei Silva vs. Quinton Jackson

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Frank Mir

Rashad Evans vs. Forrest Griffin

QUOTE (tommy @ Dec 26, 2008 -> 11:46 AM)
Who do you guys got?

* 205 lbs. | Forrest Griffin by UD vs. Rashad Evans (Title)

* 265 lbs. | Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira by UD vs. Frank Mir (Title)

* 185 lbs. | CB Dollaway vs. Mike Massenzio by sub

* 205 lbs. | Quinton "Rampage" Jackson vs. Wanderlei Silva by extreme brutality

* 265 lbs. | Cheick Kongo by TKO vs. Mustafa Al-Turk

* 185 lbs. | Yushin Okami by UD or 3rd round TKO vs. Dean Lister

* 265 lbs. | Antoni Hardonk by TKO vs. Mike Wessel

* 205 lbs. | Matt Hamill by TKO vs. Reese Andy

* 185 lbs. | Ryo Chonan vs. Brad Blackburn by TKO

* 265 lbs. | Dan Evensen vs. Pat Barry by KO

I see lots of finishes on this card.

QUOTE (tommy @ Dec 26, 2008 -> 08:06 PM)
I tried watching it LIVE on UFC.com and instead they were showing stand up guy talking about God and a cooking program, so mad.

I got that too. At first I thought I was imagining it and like God was speaking to me ala Rampage. Fortunately there was a chatroom in the sidebar where the video was playing and others were commenting on the preaching, so I knew I wouldn't have to build an ark or anything.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Dec 26, 2008 -> 09:37 PM)
if they show the countdown show again and you haven't seen Rampage/Wand II from PRIDE you have to see it, I remember watching a tape of it and thinking Rampage was going to have brain damage, it's ridiculously brutal

Yeah, that was the most brutal KO I'd ever seen until Rashad kicked Salmon's head in, although it should be said that Sean Salmon may be the master of the brutal KO. I don't think he should be fighting anymore given how he reacts. Here's a link to a video of him getting destroyed by Jorge Santiago.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 26, 2008 -> 10:38 PM)
Yeah, that was the most brutal KO I'd ever seen until Rashad kicked Salmon's head in, although it should be said that Sean Salmon may be the master of the brutal KO. I don't think he should be fighting anymore given how he reacts. Here's a link to a video of him getting destroyed by Jorge Santiago.

When Cro Cop knocked out Wand with a left high kick in the finals of the Open Weight Grand Prix I got a similar feeling, Wand drops like a sack of rocks and the way he laid there with the blood streaming over his bald head is a nasty sight

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Dec 27, 2008 -> 11:05 AM)
Ok where do I go to watch all the old UFC and other matches, I am just getting into this sport. HDNET is a saviour.

UFC is pretty on the ball about taking bootleged fights off the net, but look around, dailymotion.com use to have them.

Look at the DVDs they have out, PRIDE 33 is a very good event, as well as PRIDE Final Combat Absolute. The older PRIDE's are excellent too, i'm just not sure of their availability since Zuffa purchased them.

Spike has free UFCs I'd say about once every two months and Vs. has WEC every 2-3 months.

Google Fedor Emelianenko and have some fun

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Dec 27, 2008 -> 11:05 AM)
Ok where do I go to watch all the old UFC and other matches, I am just getting into this sport. HDNET is a saviour.

mmalinker.com has a lot of fights from the UFC and elsewhere. The sites that use RuTube (Russian YouTube) have their fights stay up a lot longer, I'm guessing because the characters used make the videos harder to search for and request a delete of. Anything that gets put up on YouTube comes down in a heartbeat though.

I should of really laid money down tonight since I picked 4 out of the 5 fights on the main card correctly.

Evans was quicker. Simple as that.

Mir looked in probably the best shape of his career, Nog looked plain defeated after the fight. Big Nog/Couture perhaps?

Rampage with the K.T.F.O. of Wandy. As a Rampage fan I was extremely happy to see him end the fight in this manner, also due to Wandy trying to be such a bad ass at the weigh-in. Rampage/Evans is the next logical step right? Anyone catch Liddell's reaction after the KO? Somebody was upset.

CB held his own, nice W.

Kongo looked impressive once again. He's easily the next person in line for the Mir/Lesnar winner, right?

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Dec 28, 2008 -> 12:08 AM)
I should of really laid money down tonight since I picked 4 out of the 5 fights on the main card correctly.

Evans was quicker. Simple as that.

Mir looked in probably the best shape of his career, Nog looked plain defeated after the fight. Big Nog/Couture perhaps?

Rampage with the K.T.F.O. of Wandy. As a Rampage fan I was extremely happy to see him end the fight in this manner, also due to Wandy trying to be such a bad ass at the weigh-in. Rampage/Evans is the next logical step right? Anyone catch Liddell's reaction after the KO? Somebody was upset.

CB held his own, nice W.

Kongo looked impressive once again. He's easily the next person in line for the Mir/Lesnar winner, right?

Still can't believe the Mir KO of Nog. He just dominated that fight. He looked great.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Dec 28, 2008 -> 10:30 AM)
Mir's going to face a very motivated Brock Lesnar - that will be a really interesting fight.

With that being said, Lesnar's going to be facing a Mir who's got his stride back. Mir's win was easily the biggest of his career and he's got his swagger back.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Dec 28, 2008 -> 12:28 PM)
With that being said, Lesnar's going to be facing a Mir who's got his stride back. Mir's win was easily the biggest of his career and he's got his swagger back.

Yes indeed, and that's what will make the fight very interesting.

It's always better when both guys are firing on all cylinders.

• 3 weeks later...

UFC this weekend. It's in Ireland, so you can get the PPV feed at either 2 or 9 CDT. Some interesting fights. Franklin vs. Henderson at 205 really intrigues me. Then there's the Shogun/Coleman matchup. Coleman beat him in PRIDE when Shogun blew his arm out falling to the mat. If it's old shogun, he runs through Coleman, but we'll see what Shogun shows up, Coleman can still be a tough matchup with his wrestling and ground and pound.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templa...7&zoneid=14

Dennis Kang making his UFC debut, he was a fast rising guy when he was fighting in the PRIDE Bushido events, had a few stumbles recently, but he can be an exciting fighter, I will be interested to see how his UFC career goes. The loses to Misaki, Akiyama and Mousai are nothing to be ashamed of.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 01:33 PM)
UFC this weekend. It's in Ireland, so you can get the PPV feed at either 2 or 9 CDT. Some interesting fights. Franklin vs. Henderson at 205 really intrigues me. Then there's the Shogun/Coleman matchup. Coleman beat him in PRIDE when Shogun blew his arm out falling to the mat. If it's old shogun, he runs through Coleman, but we'll see what Shogun shows up, Coleman can still be a tough matchup with his wrestling and ground and pound.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templa...7&zoneid=14

Dennis Kang making his UFC debut, he was a fast rising guy when he was fighting in the PRIDE Bushido events, had a few stumbles recently, but he can be an exciting fighter, I will be interested to see how his UFC career goes. The loses to Misaki, Akiyama and Mousai are nothing to be ashamed of.

Franklin-Hendo should be fun. Taking Hendo there.

Coleman is a very dangerous opponent for Shogun. I agree that if it's the old Shogun he should take out Coleman pretty easily, but Coleman is supposedly in great shape and extremely motivated for this fight, and if Shogun has any lingering injuries - even though he says he's all healthy - or if there's any part of his mental game that is not there, Coleman could take him down, hold him there, and do just enough to win a couple rounds and steal the fight. This is a bad matchup for Shogun because he has nothing to gain really. He's expected to destroy, and if he doesn't, it'll probably hurt his standing. And if he loses he could even be at risk of having his contract renegotiated or even out-right released, ala CroCop and Sokoudjou.

Kang is added depth, and a fun guy to watch fight, but I'm not all that excited about him in the UFC because of the title picture. The only guy IMO who might be a threat to Anderson at middleweight right now is Demian Maia if he can get the fight to the ground, and aside from that everything is really in limbo. Wandy wants maybe one more fight at LHW, preferrably Chuck, but then he's going down to MW. Hendo and Franklin seem to be both going back and forth, and the GSP-BJ winner is going to have to defend the WW belt against Thiago Alves. If GSP beats BJ and then goes on to beat Thiago I could also see Thiago trying to take the MW belt from Anderson since he'd still be a good-sized middleweight. So basically you've maybe got some interesting fights (Anderson-Maia, Anderson-Hendo II, Anderson-Alves maybe?, Anderson-Wandy) and all Kang is going to be able to do is either ruin a potential fight by beating a contender or finding himself a spot somewhere in the middle of the pack along with guys like Wilson Gouveia, Ricardo Almeida, Patrick Cote, Thales Leites, etc. But then again, Anderson might retire at some point, especially if he has to face underwhelming opponents like Leites and Franklin for the third time or Bisping over his next two fights, and if he does retire a guy like Kang would make the MW division look amazing in terms of depth and parity. I'm rambling, time to end this post.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK PPV. Opening match with Lytle and Davis was very good. Shogun v. Coleman was a great match to watch. I couldn't say it was a great "fight of the year" type match, but meltzer descibed it as an "emotional" match and that nails it. Weird fight. Coleman gassed roughly 10 seconds into the fight but kept staying alive, then Shogun, who somehow was insanely out of shape again, slogged through the fight ultimately nailing a old school NES Ring King upper cut and the fight was stopped. Shogun won but didn't establish himself in anyway.

Kang lost, he tapped. I still hope UFC keeps him around and matches him with some strikers. This is the point where I rail that the UFC needs to sign Cung Le.

Hendo won the decision. VERY close fight, I had it 29-28 Franklin but still don't think he was robbed, can easily see why Hendo won.

Affliction is next Saturday, I may get it, anyone up for going to a bar to watch it? I would meet people out in the western burbs, PM me

Edited by SoxFan562004

They also announced a few main events....

Jardine vs. Rampage.... well, i'm not 100% sure what the point of this fight is. I read that Rashad was offered but said he couldn't get ready in time. This is a a fight where on paper it's Rampage via whatever he wants, but s***, mma is not an exact science. If Jardine wins this and Silva beats Machida on the 31st the 205 is completely up in the air.

Then they announce Iceman vs. Shogun. You tell me this 2-3 years ago and I'm selling everything I own to watch this live, now I'm watching this, but in a weird intriguiging way. I can't even begin to pick this fight.

This whole PPV is evidence is why athletic comissions should sanction 5 rounds for non-titles and 7 for title fights.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 02:55 AM)
They also announced a few main events....

Jardine vs. Rampage.... well, i'm not 100% sure what the point of this fight is. I read that Rashad was offered but said he couldn't get ready in time. This is a a fight where on paper it's Rampage via whatever he wants, but s***, mma is not an exact science. If Jardine wins this and Silva beats Machida on the 31st the 205 is completely up in the air.

Then they announce Iceman vs. Shogun. You tell me this 2-3 years ago and I'm selling everything I own to watch this live, now I'm watching this, but in a weird intriguiging way. I can't even begin to pick this fight.

This whole PPV is evidence is why athletic comissions should sanction 5 rounds for non-titles and 7 for title fights.

Iceman/Shogun has zero interest for me. UFC is just giving Liddell every chance in the world to get another title shot in order to promote him to the ESPNs of the world. I'd like to see a Shogun/Forrest rematch. Shogun looked bad tonight but maybe it was ring rust.

I'd rather see Machida/Rampage if Machida wins later this month and winner gets title shot.