MMA Thread

Tomorrow should be an interesting card to watch.

Sanchez over Stevenson, TKO in the 2nd. I don't really like Diego, but I think he's gonna overpower Joe

Marquardt over Gouveia, TKO in the 3rd.

Hardy over Markham, by decision.

Maia over Sonnen, sub. in 1st.

Kos over Thiago, TKO in 2nd

Loved seeing Sonnen lose so quickly. That guy runs his mouth way too much and Maia basically wiped his ass with him. I'll lend Sonnen my Renzo/Royler jiu-jitsu book if he wants to learn something about submissions.

Marquardt looked real good tonight. He is huge. He keeps talking about a rematch with Silva but he doesnt really stand a chance.

Sanchez had a nice fight. Wasnt really that impressed that he couldnt finish Stevenson who got dominated against Florian and Penn.

dos Santos is looking really good with those hands. I know he fought a young guy but he did what he was suppose to do.

Kos takes another step back. Guy just cant get over the hump.

Kos got KTFO. That was awesome.

Maia showed once again why I think he should be the next top contender at 185. Even better Sonnen can now shut it.

Nate looked good as usual, he's still one of the best at 185.

Eh, Diego should of dominated. Still don't like the guy, he'll still get worked by Penn or Florian IMO.

Stevenson goes where from here?

I think Maia should take it slow before wanting a title shot. If he can improve on his standup then a year from now he could be in a prime spot for a title shot.

I think Stevenson is nothing more than a gatekeeper. The UFC should limit him to UFN main event status.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 07:01 PM)
I think Maia should take it slow before wanting a title shot. If he can improve on his standup then a year from now he could be in a prime spot for a title shot.

I think Stevenson is nothing more than a gatekeeper. The UFC should limit him to UFN main event status.

As much as I hate Diego and can't wait to see a LW mop the floor with him, he ended up being 100% right about Stevenson, he hasn't evolved at all. All he tried to do was look for one punch to rock Diego, and that likely wasn't going to happen. UFC is extremely loyal to the early TUF'ers so he probably won't go anywhere, but UFNs are where he belongs these days.

Kos took about 4 steps back last night, and I don't want to hear from him or people who say it was an early stop, his eyes rolled and his arms went limp. He did recover quickly, but the ref was right to stop it the second he saw that.

Marquardt is an excellent fighter and if it wasn't for Anderson he would be much more popular.

Looks like Wand will fight Rich Franklin at UFC 99 at a catch weight of 195 lbs. Kind of a big match for both those guys.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 22, 2009 -> 08:26 PM)
Looks like Wand will fight Rich Franklin at UFC 99 at a catch weight of 195 lbs. Kind of a big match for both those guys.

Agreed. I think it's bigger for Rich. Up to this point in his career he's only beat guys that he's been better than, if he's to make a serious name for himself a win over Wand would do it IMO.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 01:48 PM)
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templa...3&zoneid=13

Looks like Big Nog and Randy will be fighting at 101

Going to be an interesting fight since its only 3 rounds. I think Couture can edge of a 3 round fight by being cautious and stalling. A 5 round fight I would def. have taken Nog.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 04:51 PM)
Going to be an interesting fight since its only 3 rounds. I think Couture can edge of a 3 round fight by being cautious and stalling. A 5 round fight I would def. have taken Nog.

Good point, I can see Randy handily winning round one, eeking round 2 and Nog dominating round 3 with mo in his favor but, like you pointed out, the 3 round limit getting him.

Edited by SoxFan562004

Plus the last Nog fight has me wondering if he has much left in the Tank. The guy claims he's in his low 30s but he's been through so many crueling fights and his body might not have much left.

I hope it was just one of those nights and Nog can bounce back with a big win. I dont think Couture is a legit threat in the heavyweight division anymore but I would like to still see Nog in the mix.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Feb 28, 2009 -> 02:19 PM)
Plus the last Nog fight has me wondering if he has much left in the Tank. The guy claims he's in his low 30s but he's been through so many crueling fights and his body might not have much left.

I hope it was just one of those nights and Nog can bounce back with a big win. I dont think Couture is a legit threat in the heavyweight division anymore but I would like to still see Nog in the mix.

Not to make an excuse for him because Mir looked awesome, but I believe he had some sort of injury, a little more serious than injuries fighters normally fight with, but I do agree, he's had a ton of hard fights and it may have caught up with him

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 04:22 PM)
Brown looked really dominant last night. I'm assuming we'll see him face Faber again, real question is will he be able to beat Faber again?

I'm looking forward to that rematch, I guarantee Faber doesn't try a flashy move against Brown again

Ken Shamrock vs Lashley signed to fight on Roy Jones Jr boxing/mma card on March 21 in Pensacola.

I know Shammy is looking to get paid but there's got to be easier ways to get that money.

I hope he wins but I really hope he doesnt get wrecked too badly.

PPV ended up being entertaining tonight, lots of quick KOs and the Rampage/Jardine fight was good, just short of great, but very good

too tired and too busy tomorrow to stay up and watch a DREAM feed, they have 3 top ten lightwights in Aoki, Ishida and Kawjiri fighting tonight. If the UFC could get 2 or all 3 of those guys, LW would be as staked as the 205 division is.

Edited by SoxFan562004

I'm kinda blah about last night. Some real quick KO's but it annoys me on sloppy MMA stand up is. These guys need to learn to keep the hands up after throwing punches. No wonder there are so many KO's these days, people just leave themselves wide open for attacks.

Carwin had a nice win but he's still got a ways to go. Lesnar wouldve caved Carwin's face in given the same openings Gonzaga had.

Brown/Sell was entertaining. I didnt care to see this match but atleast I got a good laugh out of it.

Hamill looked good. I think they are really protecting him though with his last to fights. Time for him to take it up a notch or two in competition.

Rampage/Jardine was a good fight. Rampage didnt look that great but got a win against a good guy. I think Rampage's only chance against Evans is to land that one big punch but Evans is just so fast. Plus it'll be Rampage's 3rd fight in 5 months and that will take a toll on his body.

Edited by zenryan

Thoughts on last night.

Maynard looked really good, the "bully" did exactly that.

Hamill had a KO that will probably be played in UFC highlights for the rest of time, he put Munoz to sleep.

Matt Brown was entertaining in his destruction of Sell, even though I wondered why the ref didn't stop it sooner....

Okay, Carwin's legit..I do love how he's now "one of the top" guys now...did Cheick Kongo get fired or something?

Rampage obviously didn't stick with the gameplan/looked past the fight...luckily it didn't end up costing him the fight.

The build up after the fight was GREAT. I hope Rashad realizes that he's gonna be in there with the toughest fight of his career.

P.S. I don't want anymore fighters doing commentary on a fight that involves one of their training partners, it was annoying listening to Rashad slurp Jardine at various points in the fight.

Last night, Dana also said that the Rampage/Evans fight may not happen in May depending on how Rampage feels. Either way, it's ramping up to be a good summer for the UFC.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 03:51 PM)
I'm kinda blah about last night. Some real quick KO's but it annoys me on sloppy MMA stand up is. These guys need to learn to keep the hands up after throwing punches. No wonder there are so many KO's these days, people just leave themselves wide open for attacks.

Carwin had a nice win but he's still got a ways to go. Lesnar wouldve caved Carwin's face in given the same openings Gonzaga had.

Brown/Sell was entertaining. I didnt care to see this match but atleast I got a good laugh out of it.

Hamill looked good. I think they are really protecting him though with his last to fights. Time for him to take it up a notch or two in competition.

Rampage/Jardine was a good fight. Rampage didnt look that great but got a win against a good guy. I think Rampage's only chance against Evans is to land that one big punch but Evans is just so fast. Plus it'll be Rampage's 3rd fight in 5 months and that will take a toll on his body.

The saving grace though is the fight vs Silva was over really fast and even though it went 3 rounds vs Jardine, Rampage really didnt take any big hits that would take some recovery time. Id assume given a week or two he would be fine to start training for his next fight.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 05:00 PM)
The saving grace though is the fight vs Silva was over really fast and even though it went 3 rounds vs Jardine, Rampage really didnt take any big hits that would take some recovery time. Id assume given a week or two he would be fine to start training for his next fight.

He had a quick turnaround from his last fight and since he goes to England to train, Meltzer said he isn't too thrilled about having to take two weeks off then have an 8 week camp. I'm fine with Evans/Machida then Rampage fights the winner

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templa...44&zoneid=2

(MMAweekly.com article with quotes from Rampage about feeling overtrained)

Edited by SoxFan562004

To add about Rampage. On Dana White's video blog there's footage of him going to Rampage's locker room to ask if he'd wanna take the fight...Rampage mentions something about hurting his jaw before the Wanderlei fight, the overtraining and him wanting to help Bisping train for Henderson...we'll see.

Also, if they're willing to hold up Lesnar/Mir (which i don't totally agree with) they should also be willing to hold up Rampage/Evans. I guess I don't get why giving Lyoto his title shot has become such an important issue when Yushin Okami (an equally boring fighter) isn't even being considered for a title shot at 185.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 03:26 AM)
If anything they should move up the St. Pierre or BJ Penn title shot. They both have had more time than what Rampage will and Penn especially needs to defend that belt.

Dana's probably waiting to save one of his golden geese (GSP) for the 100th show. Penn was supposed to fight on the show in June, but turned it down to spend time with family.