MMA Thread

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Mar 9, 2009 -> 11:01 AM)
Dana's probably waiting to save one of his golden grease (GSP) for the 100th show. Penn was supposed to fight on the show in June, but turned it down to spend time with family.

fixed it for ya

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 8, 2009 -> 03:51 PM)
I'm kinda blah about last night. Some real quick KO's but it annoys me on sloppy MMA stand up is. These guys need to learn to keep the hands up after throwing punches. No wonder there are so many KO's these days, people just leave themselves wide open for attacks.

Standup is kind of a weird monster in MMA. Any traditional martial arts stance is going to get you f'd up in MMA since most of them focus on a specific type of striking and leaves you wide open to takedowns or strikes to certain parts of the body. This includes boxing. Look at a traditional boxing stance, you are far more open/facing your foe, in MMA it would be goofy footwork for a sprawl, basically throwing both your legs straight back like a flop and give the guy a better chance for a double leg. Also, it's harder to check a kick from that stance.

A very traditional Kempo stance has the hands low, Chuck and Hackleman using their form of Kempo did a good job addressing that and Chuck is/was excellent at protecting himself and stuffing takedowns. Many people try to say UFC protected chuck with a bunch of strikers, but that really isn't true, he did an excellent job of stuffing takedowns early and takedowns take ALOT out of a fighter, so many guys just stopped. I mean during his prime he beat Randy twice (one loss to him), Vitor, Tito, Babalu, Horn... those guys have good takedowns and ground games. Also, he had an awesome ability to get up if taken down.

http://sherdog.com/fighter/Chuck-Liddell-192

You are right though a decent amount is guys just being stupid, not protecting themselves. A little of that has to do with having to protect kicks to the midsection. When Cro Cop got nailed by Gonzaga you can see that's what kind of happened. He dropped his hand because I think he didn't believe Gonzaga had a head kick in his game, when he dropped his hand to protect a lower kick he gets highlight reeled

Edited by SoxFan562004

I also think these guys dont use head movements well. Chuck never got really tagged until recently and he fought most of his fights on his feet. Couture really moved his head well when he came back as a heavyweight a couple of years ago.

Fedor has really good head movement too. He looked kinda funny against AA at times but he never got hit squarely and hasnt been really tagged in this entire career except for the Fujita fight.

Lesnar has really good boxing technique IMO. But he can get away with that because he knows no one is going to take him down or even try to.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (zenryan @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 06:26 PM)
I really dont like watching "The Ultimate Fighter" but I might make an exception to watch Henderson coach.

I love TUF and I've been watching MMA for many years. The UK guys are going to add a ton of character to the show this year.

Fight night was good. The Griffin/Dos Anos fight and the main event were very good fights, Bader fight wasn't action packed but he showed that with more training he can be a beast at 205 and Browning got tapped quickly

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 3, 2009 -> 01:04 PM)
Dana White will be scaling back his public profile with the UFC after he went on a crazy rant on his video blog using the F word that refers to homosexuals numerous times. An apology was posted and we won't see as much of him any more.

http://www.f4wonline.com/content/view/8866/

I always thought that Loretta Hunt reporter was a b****. Never really liked her from seeing her on tv and what not. Glad he didnt hold back when going off on her but he's got to know better than to say f#@#@t.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Apr 6, 2009 -> 05:23 PM)
That main event was awesome but Mir was annoying the hell out of me with his one-sided commentating. I thought Rogan was biased but he has nothing on Mir.

yeah, it was a joke, which is odd because Mir is usually a good color guy. Pulver was excellent last time, maybe they'll just stick him in there full time.

Fun card tonight.

Brett Rogers looked good once again, looks like they're picking him to fight Overeem for the heavyweight title.

Scott Smith with a crazy KO to end a crazy entertaining fight. Easily the fight of the night.

Gilbert Melendez also looked good, sick KO.

Diaz just picked Shamrock apart. Good win.

Impressive win for Diaz. Really dominated. I've been watching MMA since 95 and its sad to see the legends run out of gas. Shamrock's body is done and he really cant hang with the upper level guys now.

Edited by zenryan

Good show last night, nothing great, but entertaining. It's hard to judge Diaz off last nights performance because it looked like Frank had very little left, although I saw enough to say if Diaz fights Le next Diaz should mop the floor with him.

Brett Rogers was very unimpressive to me last night, he's huge, but I think there's a lot of heavyweights out there who would have little trouble with him, he looked a little sloppy and the multiple hair pulling in the 1st round was a joke.

The Cyborg fight was a disgrace and I can't believe the commission let it happen. By fight time Cyborg outweighed the woman she was fighting by probably 20lbs if not more. It wasn't competitive and it was extremely dangerous, harkened back to the early days of MMA in the U.S. which, IMO, is not a good thing.

I like Melendez and he did what he had to do yesterday against an opponent on 4 days notice, looking forward to the fight with Thompson.

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=eventDetai...rd&eid=1921

97 on Saturday. To me the main event is Chuck vs. Shogun because it's a HUGE fight for both those guys career. Silva fight is mildly interesting because if it goes to the ground Leites has a legit shot of upsetting. On paper I'm more interested in some of the fights that are not scheduled to air, but the UFC has got many of those on air in the last few PPVs and often fights that might not hold a lot of interest end up being barn burners.

It will be interesting to see what happens if Chuck loses. I just can't see the UFC cutting him and letting him walk over to Strikeforce or Affliction and give either of them a HUGE draw for a card or two. However, even the casual fan will become less interested in him as a top of the card PPV draw. So other than cutting him they can use him as a big draw in a UFN main event, let him fight some lighter HWs at HW and promote his move to HW or if they get a HBO or Network deal have him headline a card on that.

I also think I will see how it will playout because I see Shogun beating him

I'm excited for tonight's card, mainly because I wanna see Chuck get smashed & I wanna see Silva dominate some more.

Silva over Leites KO-1st round

Rua over Chuck TKO-2nd round

Soszynski over Stann- Sub in the 1st

Kongo over Hardonk in a decision.

Cane over Cantwell- TKO in the 2nd.

It's got to be GSP vs Silva if GSP wins.

The UFC needs to put Silva up against someone who actually wants to fight. Leites wanted nothing to do with Anderson tonight and Silva didnt take any chances. Silva could've gone for the finish but why push something when you're pretty much being handed a victory.

I should of put money down tonight.

Overall, just a decent night of fights.

Rua retired Chuck, at least in the UFC. Chuck's out of his league now, there's no way you give him a serious fight at this point.

Silva/Leites was a complete bore. Probably the worst title fight I remember watching. Leites shouldn't of been in there in the 1st place. Even worse was Rogan's slurping of the match. It's not a 5 round rout if the guys don't wanna fight. Silva's not on the top of my p4p list after this. He could of put Leites & all of the fans out of our misery by finishing it, but he just didn't seem to care.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Apr 19, 2009 -> 01:13 AM)
I should of put money down tonight.

Overall, just a decent night of fights.

Rua retired Chuck, at least in the UFC. Chuck's out of his league now, there's no way you give him a serious fight at this point.

Silva/Leites was a complete bore. Probably the worst title fight I remember watching. Leites shouldn't of been in there in the 1st place. Even worse was Rogan's slurping of the match. It's not a 5 round rout if the guys don't wanna fight. Silva's not on the top of my p4p list after this. He could of put Leites & all of the fans out of our misery by finishing it, but he just didn't seem to care.

That was the problem with the match-up between the two, as good as Silva is on the ground Leites is better and Silva didn't want to risk being submitted. It's funny that Rogan mentioned his last loss in '04 to Chonan because a few times Leites was going for the same or similar leg sweep when Silva was close.

It wasn't a very good event, sometimes those happen when you run so many cards. Chuck is flat out done. I thought it would be a bad business decision to let him go because Affliction or Strikeforce would nab him, but after last night I think he lost a lot of cache with the casual fan. It will be interesting to see Shogun against a top guy in his next fight.

Easily the worst title fight since Sylvia vs Arlovski 3.

Silva was so uninterested that he was throwing punches to Leites' leg! hahaha, I've never seen that before.

Can we just fast forward to UFC 100?

Speaking of 100, Mark Coleman vs Bonnar is scheduled as a PRELIM! A UFC HOF'er on a prelim is ridicuilous. With the amount of s***ty fights on most cards because Dana White wants to force TUF fighters down our throats, you'd think this fight could've been scheduled for UFC 101 or 102 so it could be on the main card.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Apr 19, 2009 -> 01:13 PM)
Easily the worst title fight since Sylvia vs Arlovski 3.

Silva was so uninterested that he was throwing punches to Leites' leg! hahaha, I've never seen that before.

Can we just fast forward to UFC 100?

Speaking of 100, Mark Coleman vs Bonnar is scheduled as a PRELIM! A UFC HOF'er on a prelim is ridicuilous. With the amount of s***ty fights on most cards because Dana White wants to force TUF fighters down our throats, you'd think this fight could've been scheduled for UFC 101 or 102 so it could be on the main card.

Did you see Mark Coleman back in January? I have NO problem with him being on the prelim. If he puts on a good show, of course it'll make the PPV anyway.