MMA Thread

Meltzer said that at the press con Dana mentioned that he and Chuck had a deal that if he didn't KO Shogun he would retire, so we shall see... I still say he takes awhile off and comes back and fights lighter HWs in the HW division.

Meltzer also said that Dana was furious at Silva about not pushing the fight last night. At this point I think they should go ahead with GSP/Silva at 185

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 19, 2009 -> 05:06 PM)
Meltzer said that at the press con Dana mentioned that he and Chuck had a deal that if he didn't KO Shogun he would retire, so we shall see... I still say he takes awhile off and comes back and fights lighter HWs in the HW division.

Meltzer also said that Dana was furious at Silva about not pushing the fight last night. At this point I think they should go ahead with GSP/Silva at 185

Last night I was listening to Steve Cofield do his radio show after the fight & he was able to grab Dana. Dana said something along the lines that he was embarrassed & that he was heading to talk to Silva to figure out what the hell his deal is. He also said that if he could of he would of gotten up & left during the fight.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Apr 19, 2009 -> 03:51 PM)
Did you see Mark Coleman back in January? I have NO problem with him being on the prelim. If he puts on a good show, of course it'll make the PPV anyway.

A former 2 UFC tourney champ, former UFC heavyweight champ, former PRIDE champ deserves to be on a main card against a good fighter like Bonnar. Those two are way more deserving than half of the UFC 102 card and atleast 3 fights on the UFC 101 card.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Apr 19, 2009 -> 09:37 PM)
A former 2 UFC tourney champ, former UFC heavyweight champ, former PRIDE champ deserves to be on a main card against a good fighter like Bonnar. Those two are way more deserving than half of the UFC 102 card and atleast 3 fights on the UFC 101 card.

The accomplishments are great, but that was long ago. LONG ago. If he had star power still, then yes he should be on the main card. But he doesn't.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Apr 19, 2009 -> 11:25 PM)
The accomplishments are great, but that was long ago. LONG ago. If he had star power still, then yes he should be on the main card. But he doesn't.

Youre saying that all these scheduled fights for 101 and 102 have more star power than Coleman/Bonnar?

UFC 101

Lightweight Championship bout: B.J. Penn vs. Kenny Florian

Light Heavyweight bout: Forrest Griffin vs. Thiago Silva

Welterweight bout: Amir Sadollah vs. Johny Hendricks

Middleweight bout: Ricardo Almeida vs. Kendall Grove

Lightweight bout: Josh Neer vs. Kurt Pellegrino

UFC 102

Heavyweight bout: Randy Couture vs. Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira

Light Heavyweight bout: Matt Hamill vs. Brandon Vera

Middleweight bout:Chris Leben vs. Jake Rosholt

Heavyweight bout: Junior dos Santos vs. Justin McCully

Chael Sonnen vs. Wilson Gouveia

Each of those cards has atleast 2 fights that shouldnt see anything about an UFN event.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 04:15 AM)
Youre saying that all these scheduled fights for 101 and 102 have more star power than Coleman/Bonnar?

UFC 101

UFC 102

Each of those cards has atleast 2 fights that shouldnt see anything about an UFN event.

they're also in August, so a fight or two can be added. (I do find it odd that they have 2 PPVs in August, it happens everynow and then, but still odd).

I haven't heard any rumors, but Rampage, Anderson Silva, GSP, Shogun could all be easily added to one of those cards given the last time they fought. We'll see, those could end up being the fights that are on the main card, but like it or not, TUF has sold this sport and those guys bring fans in. If Coleman and Leben walked down the street or into a bar in the U.S. I think more UFC fans would know Leben, it sucks, but that's the likely outcome. Bonnar is obviously very popular since he was in arguably one of the most important fights in U.S. MMA history, but he got destroyed in his last fight against Jones.

I'm glad to see Kang won on the undercard, he might not be a top guy, but his style can be exciting and make for some good matches.

(EDIT- I have no idea why I put GSP as a possability to be added to 101 or 102 since he's fighting Alves!)

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (zenryan @ Apr 20, 2009 -> 04:15 AM)

UFC 101

UFC 102

To the casual fan yes. On 101 you've got 3 TUF winners, one of them making their debut. I'll give you Neer/Pellegrino. On 102, you've got 2 more popular TUF alum, dos Santos who's on the rise & i'll give you Sonnen/Gouveia.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 28, 2009 -> 07:10 PM)

This match up isnt doing anything for me right now. Dana White believes Silva is the best P4P fighter then I think Silva needs a bigger matchup. If Silva isnt going to fight GSP then he needs to be fighting the top of the LHW division, ie an automatic title shot or Rampage. Forrest is nice and all but he couldnt even defend his title and is either 4th or 5th in that weight class rankings(Evans,Machida,Rampage,Forrest or Shogun).

I'm thinking Dana White is making this fight so Silva can beat Forrest and Dana can start spewing the nonsense that Silva is the best P4P fighter because he beat a former LHW champ.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 02:42 AM)
This match up isnt doing anything for me right now. Dana White believes Silva is the best P4P fighter then I think Silva needs a bigger matchup. If Silva isnt going to fight GSP then he needs to be fighting the top of the LHW division, ie an automatic title shot or Rampage. Forrest is nice and all but he couldnt even defend his title and is either 4th or 5th in that weight class rankings(Evans,Machida,Rampage,Forrest or Shogun).

I'm thinking Dana White is making this fight so Silva can beat Forrest and Dana can start spewing the nonsense that Silva is the best P4P fighter because he beat a former LHW champ.

Well for one I think Forest is better than Machida and Shogun and he beat Rampage, so that pretty much puts him in the top3. Im sure if Silva beats Forrest, his next match will either be st pierre or winner of Evans/Machida or Rampage.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 06:45 AM)
Well for one I think Forest is better than Machida and Shogun and he beat Rampage, so that pretty much puts him in the top3. Im sure if Silva beats Forrest, his next match will either be st pierre or winner of Evans/Machida or Rampage.

It could also be a test for future fights for Anderson. After this Anderson will have 3 fights left on his contract and he has constantly said he's done after this contract. The UFC can make markatable matchups for him against 205ers or HWs in the last three or keep him in 185 and defend the belt. Okami is in line, they may push Akiyama pretty quickly, if Kang reels off 3-4 wins he could be a good style matchup, Bisping, Hendo rematch, etc... Now the question is is Anderson serious or did he just start renegotiation tactics very early.

Also, don't expect the UFC to strip him of the MW belt anytime soon because of the "Champion's Clause" in their contract which basically says if you're a champion in the UFC and the fights on your contract lapse, your contract rolls over as long as you're still champ. They do this so a champ doesn't walk to Affliction or Strikeforce as the champion. (They got burned by it once and I think it was when Zuffa bought the UFC, I believe it was Pulver or Penn). Of course the UFC can never force anyone to fight, but they have an argument that they can prevent them fighting elsewhere.

There are a few reasons I think they put him with Forrest. First, it's an extremely marketable fight due to Forrest's popularity. Forrest should engage Silva and push the fight. Forrest is a huge 205er, many people don't realize this, but he is a large dude who cuts a decent amount, so it could gauge how Anderson may matchup against lighter HW fighters or if they want to give Chuck one more fight, have him fight Anderson at HW.

I like the fight. I think Forrest is extremely underrated by many people. It should make for a very entertaining fight.

Edited by SoxFan562004

I'm not a huge UFC fan, but I do enjoy watching the fights every time I see one. However, I must say that the UFC video game is fantastic. I played it for the 1st time yesterday and it's awesome. Yeah, I'm not bringing too much to this thread, but just thought I'd share...

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templa...3&zoneid=14

98 this saturday. I'm really looking forward to Machida/Evans and have a strange curiosity about Serra/Hughes, but I think Sherk/Edgar can steal the show. Sounds like winner of Machida/Evans will coach TUF 10 against Rampage to set up the next title fight.

Also, on his site Cro Cop said he's fighting Al-Turk on UFC 99 in Germany as a replacement for an injured Todd Duffee. When Cro Cop left it was mutual with the intent of him figuring some stuff out and making another run in the UFC, so seems like this may be it. Nothing official from UFC yet.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 18, 2009 -> 05:04 PM)
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templa...3&zoneid=14

98 this saturday. I'm really looking forward to Machida/Evans and have a strange curiosity about Serra/Hughes, but I think Sherk/Edgar can steal the show. Sounds like winner of Machida/Evans will coach TUF 10 against Rampage to set up the next title fight.

Also, on his site Cro Cop said he's fighting Al-Turk on UFC 99 in Germany as a replacement for an injured Todd Duffee. When Cro Cop left it was mutual with the intent of him figuring some stuff out and making another run in the UFC, so seems like this may be it. Nothing official from UFC yet.

I'm also looking forward to Machida/Evans simply to see how they match up. Personally i'd just like to see Hughes get his face smashed. As for Rampage bei the next TUF coach, at least one of the best UFC personalities will be doing it again...it just sucks that he'll have to wait until november or december for his title shot.

Hopefully Cro Cop's 2nd UFC run will be better than his 1st...

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ May 20, 2009 -> 11:05 AM)
In other heavyweight news. Kongo is taking Herring's place on the UFC 99 card. We now will see Cain Velasquez face off against Cheick Kongo, i'm excited.

That card got really interesting. Wand/Franklin, Kongo/Cain, Davis/Hardy and Spencer/Uno all interest me... it will be interesting to see if they move Cro Cop's fight to the main card

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 20, 2009 -> 10:06 PM)
That card got really interesting. Wand/Franklin, Kongo/Cain, Davis/Hardy and Spencer/Uno all interest me... it will be interesting to see if they move Cro Cop's fight to the main card

Swick-Saunders IMO is the best fight on that whole card, but due to name value they'll probably drop it for CC's fight.

I think Davis is going to beat the living hell out of Hardy, Franklin is going to pick Wandy apart and probably finish him, and I'm not all that optimistic about Uno. I think Uno was brought in to help convince Kid to come over once his contract is up and nothing more.

Kongo-Cain is interesting though. I wonder if Cain wants to stand there and slug it out or if he'll put Kongo on his back and finish it? Kongo's wrestling has improved but still, it wasn't all that long ago when Heath freaking Herring was taking him down at will. If it stays on the feet though I'm taking Kongo via repeated shots to the groin area. Hopefully CC doesn't get scared seeing Kongo in the same building.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ May 21, 2009 -> 10:26 PM)
Swick-Saunders IMO is the best fight on that whole card, but due to name value they'll probably drop it for CC's fight.

I think Davis is going to beat the living hell out of Hardy, Franklin is going to pick Wandy apart and probably finish him, and I'm not all that optimistic about Uno. I think Uno was brought in to help convince Kid to come over once his contract is up and nothing more.

Kongo-Cain is interesting though. I wonder if Cain wants to stand there and slug it out or if he'll put Kongo on his back and finish it? Kongo's wrestling has improved but still, it wasn't all that long ago when Heath freaking Herring was taking him down at will. If it stays on the feet though I'm taking Kongo via repeated shots to the groin area. Hopefully CC doesn't get scared seeing Kongo in the same building.

we'll see, they may keep it on the main card because of the TUF factor...

If anything I'll think they'll move the Uno fight, but part of me thinks they'll keep the Cro Cop fight on the undercard and if he has a spectacular or dominating win they'll do what they have to do to show it on the PPV (no title fights, so all 3 round fights help), and if he loses and it's obvious he'll never work out in the UFC, they'll just kind of ignore it.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:18 PM)
we'll see, they may keep it on the main card because of the TUF factor...

If anything I'll think they'll move the Uno fight, but part of me thinks they'll keep the Cro Cop fight on the undercard and if he has a spectacular or dominating win they'll do what they have to do to show it on the PPV (no title fights, so all 3 round fights help), and if he loses and it's obvious he'll never work out in the UFC, they'll just kind of ignore it.

I watched an interview with Dana White earlier today and he said the Cro Cop fight will be shown on the PPV. So either it's getting moved up or it'll be shown regardless.

UFC 98 Predictions:

Machida by TKO in the 2nd. I think the fact that Evans seems to start slowly in his fights is going to hurt him.

Hughes by TKO in the 2nd. I don't like Hughes, but I don't think Serra will be able to avoid being taken down.

Professor X by sub. in 1st. McFedries has no ground game...Professor X does.

Miller by decision.

Sherk by TKO in the 3rd.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ May 22, 2009 -> 05:19 PM)
UFC 98 Predictions:

Machida by TKO in the 2nd. I think the fact that Evans seems to start slowly in his fights is going to hurt him.

Hughes by TKO in the 2nd. I don't like Hughes, but I don't think Serra will be able to avoid being taken down.

Professor X by sub. in 1st. McFedries has no ground game...Professor X does.

Miller by decision.

Sherk by TKO in the 3rd.

I want Evans to win but I like Machida as well. I think he gets the TKO in the 4th though.

I like Serra to get the KO in the 3rd.

Same as you on the other 3.