MMA Thread

http://www.f4wonline.com/content/view/9635/

Meltzer is saying that Cro Cop hasn't officially signed with anyone yet and is attempting to use his one fight deal with the UFC as leverage in negotiations. Basically his agent told Dream he was going there before the fight so in case he lost he had a fallback, now that he won nothing is official.

I don't think this will work and Dana and Zuffa will probably pull all offers off the table, I can't see them allowing themselves to be used like this. One fight deals are uncommon for the UFC and I don't see one of the few times they do it backfiring on them.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 06:13 PM)
TUF Finale tonight

My picks:

Sanchez

Johnson to win @170.

Lytle

Winner to win @ 155.

Stevenson (I'm a Diaz fan, but Stevenson would be stupid if he didn't wrestle him)

Agree with all of those picks except maybe Joe Daddy. I have no idea how that one is going to go. Joe likes to stand and trade and if I does that I have to give the edge to Nate. If it goes to the ground it's tough to call though. Joe has some really good sub defense (Florian fight be damned) but Nate is very slick, especially with the triangle. I think that one's a toss up. My only other thought is that if Joe Daddy loses, I really hope they don't cut him. If there's any way he can make 145 I'd love to see him in the WEC. Manny Gamburyan made the cut and I believe he at one time used to fight as a WW.

Can't wait to see Diego steamroll Guida. IMO it will be a poor performance if Diego doesn't finish him or at least win every round hands-down in a dominant decision.

Edit: I think you're right on what Joe's gameplan should be. He's going to have to get in close to box with him anyway, so he might as well work for takedowns wherever he can. He should be strong enough to out-power him in the clinch but I'd give the edge in the scrambles to Nate. Joe might have to chase him a bit but all he needs to do is score some takedowns and take minimal to moderate damage on the feet, which he can do since he's got a strong chin and Nate doesn't have much as far as power. Joe needs to not pull a Gurgel/Koscheck/Sherk here and make the fight play to his advantages because he really needs this win, not only to stay relevant as a top 155'er in the UFC but also maybe to keep his job.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

Well the Guida/Sanchez fight was all kinds of awesome. Guida has a chin. Diego should win this fight. He completely dominated the first round. Then was on his back in the second round, but had a lot of good elbows from the bottom and was a good worker. The third round was kind of a draw. Diego had an arm triangle on Guida, but Guida was bloody as hell from the first round. Diego then tried a kimura. Got the arm out, but couldnt bend it up.

Diego wins via split decision. Good, he deserved the win.

Diego's striking has improved so much since his TUF experience. The one improvement he needs to work on is his ju jitsu from his back.

Edited by southsideirish71

Have you heard about Héctor Lombard?

He just won the Bellator championships. He defected in the Sidney Olympics after meeting a British woman. He was about to sign with UFC but visa problems prevented him from doing so. I do not follow the sport to much so I can comment a lot. He has won PRIDE, DEEP and Cage Fighting champiosnhips in Australia. His record is 20-2.

Edited by Cubano

QUOTE (Cubano @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 11:04 PM)
Have you heard about Héctor Lombard?

He just won the Bellator championships. He defected in the Sidney Olympics after meeting a British woman. He was about to sign with UFC but visa problems prevented him from doing so. I do not follow the sport to much so I can comment a lot. He has won PRIDE, DEEP and Cage Fighting champiosnhips in Australia. His record is 20-2.

LOL

You know everything there is to know about Cuban athletes, don't you?

Diego got robbed of a UD. I had it 30-26 Diego. I could see a 29-27 or 29-28 score for Diego but how he ended up getting a split is beyond me. There's no question he dominated the first round and he easily won the second 10-9 with those nasty elbows. I still don't get how judges score fights the way they do. If you're on top but doing nothing but defending and getting your ass kicked, that is NOT a dominant position for you! LOL. I thought Diego got ripped off by the judges in the Fitch decision and they almost ripped him off again tonight. Something really needs to be done about favoritism towards wrestlers in the Octagon. The cage and lack of soccer kicks is already enough of an advantage for wrestlers as it is.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 11:32 PM)
Diego got robbed of a UD. I had it 30-26 Diego. I could see a 29-27 or 29-28 score for Diego but how he ended up getting a split is beyond me. There's no question he dominated the first round and he easily won the second 10-9 with those nasty elbows. I still don't get how judges score fights the way they do. If you're on top but doing nothing but defending and getting your ass kicked, that is NOT a dominant position for you! LOL. I thought Diego got ripped off by the judges in the Fitch decision and they almost ripped him off again tonight. Something really needs to be done about favoritism towards wrestlers in the Octagon. The cage and lack of soccer kicks is already enough of an advantage for wrestlers as it is.

Well I think its how the sport will mature, and grow. Judges see a guy with a takedown, and they consider it dominant position. In reality its what they do with it. You can have a great wrestler take a guy down, then flounder and fail with the top position. Then you can have a BJJ guy who is on his back, attacking from below, setting up submissions, being a good worker. Tonight was interesting because of the amount of damage that Diego put on Guida from the bottom position. The kimura seems to be a go to for a lot of guys, but its a hard submission to get. Working chokes, like a Dars or a arm triangle can be done a lot easier with less energy than fumbling around for the kimura. They also sap the other guys energy. Another thing is guys from the top position. They are always swinging for the fences on trying to hit the head. I would like to see a fighter, use elbows on the rib cage or the stomach. But again, guys are fighting for the card and to get the knockout instead of working for a decision. Its too much of a crap shoot when it goes to the card.

We saw the fight of the year to this point tonight. Sanchez/Guida was the s***. Plain & simple. I scored it 29-28. Sanchez with a 10-8 1st round, Guida winning round 2 & I had the 3rd dead even. I was wrong about the TUF winners, I still don't see them doing anything worthwhile during their UFC runs.

Stevenson saved his job tonight.

Now as MMA fans we get spoiled to a great July & August. This will hopefully only get better.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 11:42 PM)
Well I think its how the sport will mature, and grow. Judges see a guy with a takedown, and they consider it dominant position. In reality its what they do with it. You can have a great wrestler take a guy down, then flounder and fail with the top position. Then you can have a BJJ guy who is on his back, attacking from below, setting up submissions, being a good worker. Tonight was interesting because of the amount of damage that Diego put on Guida from the bottom position. The kimura seems to be a go to for a lot of guys, but its a hard submission to get. Working chokes, like a Dars or a arm triangle can be done a lot easier with less energy than fumbling around for the kimura. They also sap the other guys energy. Another thing is guys from the top position. They are always swinging for the fences on trying to hit the head. I would like to see a fighter, use elbows on the rib cage or the stomach. But again, guys are fighting for the card and to get the knockout instead of working for a decision. Its too much of a crap shoot when it goes to the card.

A whole new scoring system needs to come about. The 10-point must system needs to be scrapped entirely. Totally agree on a takedown only having meaning if you do something with it. When you take someone down, you're not actually hurting him (unless its a slam or something, or an awkward landing). All you're doing is putting the ball into your court and trying to execute your game. If your opponent nullifies your attack then all you have proven is that you can't effectively work your own game. If you are additionally on the defensive while trying to implement your game then that has to count against you IMO. If you take someone down and then just sit in guard and defend subs or even worse get out-struck from the bottom then that should go against you, not in your favor.

You see the kimura used a lot as a transition too, so guys aren't always going for that strictly as a submission. What I'd like to see is a lot more fighters use knees and punches to the body from side control, but it actually seems like there are a lot of fighters who are happier in half-guard than side control and will actually put themselves into half-guard intentionally after getting side control in order to maintain "dominant position," which may be another negative effect of the current scoring system. I just think you can be more dangerous from side control and increase your chances of finishing a fight, but guys like half-guard better because if they can work effectively from that position and not get stood up then it increases their chances of staying on top and scoring with the judges.

But yeah, I hate the scoring system in MMA. It needs to be totally scrapped. And very soon too. Guys just keep getting better and better, and fights keep getting closer and closer, and there are a lot more decisions as a result. There needs to be a clear-cut system with well-trained judges that can score on the finer points of a fight, instead of just saying "so-and-so was on top so he won." Even though the Pride system had it's flaws, I think in Pride Diego definitely wins this fight, but in the UFC, Guida could have easily taken the fight or at least picked up a draw because of how f***ed the system is, and how dumb the judges can be, and how ambiguous the scoring guidelines can be.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 12:48 AM)
We saw the fight of the year to this point tonight. Sanchez/Guida was the s***. Plain & simple. I scored it 29-28. Sanchez with a 10-8 1st round, Guida winning round 2 & I had the 3rd dead even. I was wrong about the TUF winners, I still don't see them doing anything worthwhile during their UFC runs.

Stevenson saved his job tonight.

Now as MMA fans we get spoiled to a great July & August. This will hopefully only get better.

Nice to see you coming around on the TUF fighters.

I had the Guida/Sanchez fight a draw. The 3rd round was a coin flip so I can see where Sanchez got the nod.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 12:17 PM)
I was surfing sherdog.com and there's a few threads with links to croation news papers saying Lorenzo got a deal done with Cro Cop to come back to the UFC

Sherdog blows. The UG is like a gagillion times better. I used to post at Sherdog but the forum is full of morons and exceptionally angry s***-talkers who take everything personal. They do have some great posters, but they're like little vessels of hope floating atop a sea of bile. And Jake Rossen sucks ass too, as do most of their writers who care more about prose, attempts at humor, and shock value than thoroughness and accuracy, although Jordan Breen is an exception, and Quadros is awesome but I think he's just their radio guy, or at least he was before. Plus none of the fighters even post there anymore I don't think. I know Bas and Baroni used to, but I hadn't seen either on in a while when I stopped going there, and Baroni is on the UG a lot. UG for discussions, MMAJunkie for news IMO. Down with Sherdog.

But yeah, I get the feeling the opening might be ditched too. They've been upgrading graphics and have added the fight metric stuff so really the intro is all there is left to update. I admit I like the song though. I don't listen to that kind of music at all, nothing even close to it, but I still like to put it on in the car and blast it because it pumps me up, as dumb as that sounds. The gladiator is lame so I hope that goes.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jul 5, 2009 -> 03:07 PM)
Sherdog blows. The UG is like a gagillion times better. I used to post at Sherdog but the forum is full of morons and exceptionally angry s***-talkers who take everything personal. They do have some great posters, but they're like little vessels of hope floating atop a sea of bile. And Jake Rossen sucks ass too, as do most of their writers who care more about prose, attempts at humor, and shock value than thoroughness and accuracy, although Jordan Breen is an exception, and Quadros is awesome but I think he's just their radio guy, or at least he was before. Plus none of the fighters even post there anymore I don't think. I know Bas and Baroni used to, but I hadn't seen either on in a while when I stopped going there, and Baroni is on the UG a lot. UG for discussions, MMAJunkie for news IMO. Down with Sherdog.

Yeah, MMA.tv is 1000x better. I post on the OG but the UG is a good read unless its the day on an event. Sherdog has seems like they are still bitter at the UFC for the whole TUF leaking a few years back. I cant believe ESPN hitched their wagons to s***dog.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 5, 2009 -> 05:13 PM)
Yeah, MMA.tv is 1000x better. I post on the OG but the UG is a good read unless its the day on an event. Sherdog has seems like they are still bitter at the UFC for the whole TUF leaking a few years back. I cant believe ESPN hitched their wagons to s***dog.

They went with Sherdog because of web traffic I'm sure. Just my guess, but they probably wanted to draw Sherdog's fanbase to ESPN's MMA page and if/when ESPN's MMA page grows enough in terms of traffic, I imagine ESPN will drop the affiliation with Sherdog and provide their own original content. It's probably a trial/introductory thing right now.

So what are everyone's picks for UFC 100? I can't f***ing wait, I'm so psyched about that card.

My picks:

Lesnar TKO within the 1st 2 rounds. Size , strength, speed, quickness, power, wrestling, clinch work, and cardio all go to Brock. Ground advantage? Still Brock IMO because he showed against Herring that he won't put himself in positions that easily allow an opponent to gain top position. He'll be content sitting in (not standing in) Mir's guard and he's strong enough, explosive enough, and learned enough by now to be able to avoid the types of head and arm submissions Mir will throw at him while he's getting his face pounded in. The only advantages Mir has are experience, BJJ, and boxing technique. I think this a really bad matchup for Mir because he's either going to have to beat him up on the feet while avoiding Brock's power and reach advantage - and also avoid Brock's explosive shot because the clinch is Brock's strongest game IMO - or he'll have to either get Brock on his back or somehow catch him in a sub off his back, which is going to be very hard given Lesnar's ability to easily take dominant position.

GSP via TKO in 4th or later or else a UD. I think GSP is going to put on a wrestling clinic and completely break Alves mentally by the 3rd round. Alves has some very good TD defense but Hughes got him down and Kos didn't really try very hard, so I don't see it being enough to beat GSP's awesome wrestling. This will be GSP's most dominant victory ever. I think Alves will look completely lost and will have no answer after he spends 3 straight round on his back. He'll get scared to throw kicks and will try to box GSP, but GSP will just take him down again. I see GSP using his wrestling very early because Alves will be very strong in the first couple rounds, but since Alves cuts a lot of weight I think GSP's gameplan is going to be to wear him out with the wrestling early so he has a strength advantage later and Alves' strikes lose power.

Bisping UD/SD. I see Bisping using boxing and footwork to out-point Hendo in a close fight. He should have the better cardio in the third and Hendo won't be able to take him down. !st round to Hendo, 2nd to Bisping in a close round, 3rd to Bisping easily. Then Bisping proceeds to act like a dick and call out Anderson. Rooting for Hendo, but won't be sad to see Anderson obliterate Bisping if Bisping wins.

Fitch should beat the hell out of Thiago.

Taking Belcher via KO/TKO or decision. He hung in there with Kang until Kang pulled a Kang and then he beat him by being a very solid, well-rounded, underrated fighter with lots of heart. If Akiyama can't get him down and keep him down he'll be in some trouble.

Taking Bonnar but don't know how. Age aside, I just can't see Coleman handling that weight cut.

Miller over Danzig by decision or GNP TKO. He's the better wrestler and is just as good if not better everywhere else IMO.

Jonny Bones Jones via whatever he wants! Man I wish they'd put this fight on the main card. O'Brien has come a long way and looks pretty good as a LHW but Jones' wrestling and athletic ability should win out, even though O'Brien definitely has wrestling himself.

Taking Stun Gun over Grant. Grant is a pretty hyped prospect so I'd like to see him, but man, DHK is one hell of a task in your first fight.

Dollaway vs. Lawlor - who gives a f***

Grice vs. Gugerty - seen both fight but don't remember them, so no pick.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 02:26 PM)
This will be GSP's most dominant victory ever

Even more dominant than the fight against Penn?

I'll make my picks in a couple of days...still undecided on a lot of the fights.

Mir by sub in round 2

GSP via round 1 KO

Hendo by KO round 2

Fitch over Thiago

Belcher via TKO

Bonnar in a late round stoppage over Coleman. Just don't think Coleman has it anymore. Looked like a shell of his former self vs Shogun

Miller over Danzig as well

Jones should probably run away with his fight

Rest I don't really care enough about

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 04:09 PM)
Even more dominant than the fight against Penn?

I'll make my picks in a couple of days...still undecided on a lot of the fights.

I think so, because if he dominates the bigger, stronger Alves it'll be a lot more impressive than dominating the much smaller Penn. Fitch and the third Hughes fight were his best performances so far IMO. Serra was impressive too but Serra at his best is probably a second-tier 155'er, just under the BJ/Florian/Maynard/Diego/Sherk/Edgar group.

Remember Alves actually walks around as a small HW (206+) and on fight day is going to be well over the MW limit (I think Meltzer actually had him at 199 before the Hughes fight). Alves is a big dude. I think GSP is going to take him down repeatedly and dominate him, and if he does that it'll send the message that he can beat some top-level MW's, as Alves could comfortably fight at MW and still not be undersized if he felt like it.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jul 7, 2009 -> 11:47 PM)
I think so, because if he dominates the bigger, stronger Alves it'll be a lot more impressive than dominating the much smaller Penn. Fitch and the third Hughes fight were his best performances so far IMO. Serra was impressive too but Serra at his best is probably a second-tier 155'er, just under the BJ/Florian/Maynard/Diego/Sherk/Edgar group.

Remember Alves actually walks around as a small HW (206+) and on fight day is going to be well over the MW limit (I think Meltzer actually had him at 199 before the Hughes fight). Alves is a big dude. I think GSP is going to take him down repeatedly and dominate him, and if he does that it'll send the message that he can beat some top-level MW's, as Alves could comfortably fight at MW and still not be undersized if he felt like it.

Alves has to keep this standing, if not it will be a GSP clinic. The one way I could see it turning out positive for Alves is if he manages to keep it on the feet and lays in some of those demonic leg kicks and hampers GSP early, outside of that I agree with you that GSP rolls

Lesnar by TKO in the 3rd. I think Lesnar just dominates the stand up and will knock Mir down a few times before finishing him off for good in the 3rd.

GSP by decision. I see GSP trying to use the same game plan as he had against Fitch. I think this might be a 48-47 type fight.

Hendo by easy decision.

Thiago by TKO in the 3rd. There's got to be atleast 1 upset on the PPV right?

Akiyama sub in the 1st.

Coleman by TKO in the 2nd. Going to throw some money on the Hammer at +300. Odds are too high IMO for this fight and worth a shot.

That's exciting. I LOVE Cigano! It'll be great seeing him beat up on another name and get some more recognition. He's the best HW prospect in the UFC right now IMO, if you don't count Carwin as a prospect. That HW division just keeps getting more refreshing. Sucks they missed out on Roger Gracie (how awesome would it have been if he'd gotten a sub win at UFC 100?) but they still have a shot at Lashley, who needs to up his competition and fight someone who he can't just take down at will, or at least someone who is dangerous off his back if it does go to the ground.