MMA Thread

My 104 picks:

Main Card Bouts:

-Lyoto Machida (15-0; #1 Light Heavyweight)* vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (18-3; #5 Light Heavyweight)*

-Cain Velasquez (6-0; #8 Heavyweight)* vs. Ben Rothwell (30-6)

-Josh Neer (25-8-1) vs. Gleison Tibau (17-7)

-Joe Stevenson (30-10) vs. Spencer Fisher (23-4)

-Anthony Johnson (7-2) vs. Yoshiyuki Yoshida (11-3)

Preliminary Bouts:

-Yushin Okami (23-4) vs. Chael Sonnen (23-10-1)

-Pat Barry (4-1) vs. Antoni Hardonk (8-5)

-Jorge Rivera (16-7) vs. Rob Kimmons (22-4)

-Ryan Bader (9-0) vs. Eric Schafer (11-3-2)

-Kyle Kingsberry (7-2) vs. Razak Al-Hassan (6-1)

-Chase Gormley (6-0) vs. Stefan Struve (17-3)

It would have been nice for the MMA Weekly people to put Hassan on the left side for me so I could pick all left side fighters. That said, a lot of these fights look pretty close. I hope Rothwell knocks Velasquez's block off.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 10:56 AM)
That's pretty awesome. Watch out for the fireworks, lol. If they went after Babalu, they'll go after you too.

Im hiding in back. There is no shame in coming home with a non-broken face

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 17, 2009 -> 10:02 AM)
Hendo is talking with Strikeforce about a contract because his side and the UFC are pretty far apart still. I hope Hendo doesn't go to Strikeforce. There's not much for him there.

Also, Condit vs. Daley has been made which should be an awesome fight. I doubt Condit is going to mess around with Daley on the feet now that he's training with Greg Jackson. The AZ Combat Sports Condit might have tried that, but Jackson should have him being smarter.

mmapayout.com has a good article about his renegotiation tactics... basically he said he only wants to sign with UFC, then UFC cut off negotiations and then his manager said he's not really that close to signing with Strikeforce... eventually I see him back in the UFC, that's where the fights and money are IMO.

Anyone watch TUF Heavyweights last night? Zak got pummelled by Darril, Rampage is 0-6 vs Rashad.

They are just leading up to Kimbo being thrown back out there. Why is he automatically the guy who goes back in if someone gets injured? It seems like he is the defacto "tag-in" if someone gets hurt, but I dont quite understand why

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 10:21 AM)
Anyone watch TUF Heavyweights last night? Zak got pummelled by Darril, Rampage is 0-6 vs Rashad.

They are just leading up to Kimbo being thrown back out there. Why is he automatically the guy who goes back in if someone gets injured? It seems like he is the defacto "tag-in" if someone gets hurt, but I dont quite understand why

I assume it's the coaches decision and since Rampage is in love with Kimbo, there you go. Not to mention, I'm sure Dana would push for it because of the ratings. I honestly don't think Kimbo is going to fight again though, I think they just keep teasing it to keep some extra viewers around.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 12:37 PM)
BTW, I know there's been a lot of arguing about Rampage around here lately, dude is obviously a little nuts, but he's f***in hilarious.

I totally agree, Rampage is a funny nutcase. And its like he knows that whatever is coming out of his mouth is crazy, but he doesnt care because he finds it funny too.

He did a spot on Mr T/B A Baracus impersonation last night

I find Rampage annoying as f***. He makes lame, repetitive 8th grade jokes, and then as soon as someone calls him on it he gets butthurt. Rampage is a moron, a s***ty coach, and an overrated one-dimensional fighter.

I just don't see the humor in picking on obvious things about people. If someone is fat then he makes fat jokes. If someone has bad teeth then he makes bad teeth jokes. If there's nothing wrong with someone's appearance, he resorts to bad breath jokes. He also loves to pick on people who can't/won't fight back. I hate that dude.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 12:36 PM)
I assume it's the coaches decision and since Rampage is in love with Kimbo, there you go. Not to mention, I'm sure Dana would push for it because of the ratings. I honestly don't think Kimbo is going to fight again though, I think they just keep teasing it to keep some extra viewers around.

I agree that they're just trying to keep viewers around. Kimbo isn't coming back, IMO.

And Rampage is a dick. I don't like him at all after last night's episode.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 02:20 PM)
I find Rampage annoying as f***. He makes lame, repetitive 8th grade jokes, and then as soon as someone calls him on it he gets butthurt. Rampage is a moron, a s***ty coach, and an overrated one-dimensional fighter.

I just don't see the humor in picking on obvious things about people. If someone is fat then he makes fat jokes. If someone has bad teeth then he makes bad teeth jokes. If there's nothing wrong with someone's appearance, he resorts to bad breath jokes. He also loves to pick on people who can't/won't fight back. I hate that dude.

We all know you have a big time bias against Rampage, so whatever. I find him quite hysterical. The end.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Oct 22, 2009 -> 11:00 PM)
Ricardo Almeida blew his knee out, so he's out of the Fitch fight.... Fitch will now be fighting Alves on the 12/12 card

I see Alves as the more interesting fight anyway. I want to see if Kos being unable to take him down was just an aberration (Kos took the fight on short notice and mostly wanted to stand) or if Alves really has developed some great TD defense. GSP doesn't count because there are very few people on the planet capable of stuffing a GSP takedown in an MMA contest at 170 - and I say very few only because I can't think of anyone myself but I do figure that such beasts must exist somewhere.

I don't think it was a robbery. I had it very close, but I did think Shogun was going to win because he finished stronger. I thought Rogan made it sound like a robbery, but he does that often enough. He seemed to be going nuts over all of Shogun's counters and then minimizing Machida's counters. I'll watch the fight again without the commentary.

According to Dana, they're going to have a rematch right away, which is awesome because I loved that fight. Definite FOTY candidate for me.

Also, I have to give Shogun huge f***ing props. I thought the gameplan he used against Machida was the type of gameplan needed to beat Machida, but I never thought Shogun would be able to do it. I thought maybe Jon Jones in the future, by using leg and body kicks to cut down on Machida's quickness and then mixing it up with wrestling to wear him down and try to do some damage from Lyoto's guard. But never did I think Shogun could go out there and fight like that. Shogun fought like a f***ing surgeon in there. I'm sooooo f***ing impressed with Shogun after last night, just beautiful. The old Shogun would have gotten destroyed, but this is a new Shogun that is definitely championship material. I'm just so damn impressed with that guy. He's so talented and so young, and now we see that he's also in great shape, motivated, and he's willing to evolve with the game. I love to see that. I love how fighters are fighting smarter now, they're not just going out there trying to kill each other. There's a lot more strategy involved and guys are turning their careers around because of it. So f***ing impressed with Shogun...

I had Shogun winning rounds 1,4 and 5 for sure. Rounds 2 and 3 were tossups but I thought he took round 2nd and Machida the 3rd. 49-46 in my book. When Buffer said all three judges had it 48-47 I thought to myself, "wow, closer than I thought." I couldnt believe it when he said Machida.

Everyone had Shogun winning that fight. Rossen's blog on espn was already proclaiming a new champ. Fightmetric had Shogun winning.

Jordan Breen (Sherdog): 48-47 Rua

Brian Knapp (Sherdog): 48-47 Rua

Mike Fridley (Sherdog): 50-45 Rua

Sergio Non (USA Today): 49-46 Rua

Beau Dure (USA Today): 48-47 Rua

MMA Junkie: 49-46/48-47 Rua

promma.info: 50-45 Rua

fiveouncesofpain.com: 50-45

The UFC judging has now entered that area of boxing shadiness. And who really cares about a rematch right now. It's a joke that Shogun has to beat Machida twice to win that belt.

Thoughts on last night.

Bader continues to look good.

Stevenson showed that w/ Jackson's camp that he's still somewhat of a problem at 155. With that being said, he's still got some work to do before I consider him a serious threat to Penn.

If you didn't think Cain was real before (I'm looking at you KHP) believe it. The kid still needs to develop some kind of serious power, but he's a smothering heavyweight with a crazy gas tank. The stoppage was done at the wrong time, but Rothwell was just eating shot after shot.

Shogun won last night. Period. Therefore he was robbed. I don't see how anyone saw Machida winning 3 rounds. I barely had him winning one. The CSAC judges ruined for me what was a great chess match of a fight (if that makes sense). I'm also glad that people have backed up a bit on the "Machida is god" bandwagon. Even more glad that it took one fight into his title reign. I'm glad Dana realizes that an immediate rematch must happen, if he's serious about it...it should happen at 108. They need to lock down a main event for the year end show, here you go. It sells itself.

If anyone's gonna give the "you've gotta beat the champion" excuse. Then just look back at Rampage/Griffin. Another great close fight that could of gone either way but went to the challenger.

I rewatched the fight and IMO the decision was a good one.

Round 1: 10-9 Machida, and I can't see giving this to Shogun

Round 2: 10-9 Machida, but I could definitely see going 10-10 here. But I can't give this to Shogun.

Round 3: 10-9 Machida, can't give this to Shogun

Round 4: 10-9 Shogun, can't give this to Machida

Round 5: 10-9 Shogun, can't give this to Machida

I'd go 48-47 Machida exactly as the judges have it, and I could see going with a 48-48 draw. Shogun did not win that fight and people who did are probably being influenced by 1) Rogan and Goldberg's commentary, and 2) Shogun stalking Machida throughout the fight.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Oct 25, 2009 -> 02:10 PM)
Thoughts on last night.

Bader continues to look good.

Stevenson showed that w/ Jackson's camp that he's still somewhat of a problem at 155. With that being said, he's still got some work to do before I consider him a serious threat to Penn.

If you didn't think Cain was real before (I'm looking at you KHP) believe it. The kid still needs to develop some kind of serious power, but he's a smothering heavyweight with a crazy gas tank. The stoppage was done at the wrong time, but Rothwell was just eating shot after shot.

Shogun won last night. Period. Therefore he was robbed. I don't see how anyone saw Machida winning 3 rounds. I barely had him winning one. The CSAC judges ruined for me what was a great chess match of a fight (if that makes sense). I'm also glad that people have backed up a bit on the "Machida is god" bandwagon. Even more glad that it took one fight into his title reign. I'm glad Dana realizes that an immediate rematch must happen, if he's serious about it...it should happen at 108. They need to lock down a main event for the year end show, here you go. It sells itself.

If anyone's gonna give the "you've gotta beat the champion" excuse. Then just look back at Rampage/Griffin. Another great close fight that could of gone either way but went to the challenger.

I picked Cain over all of his opponents so far so I don't know why I'm supposed to be so impressed now.

Cain was a terrible style matchup for Rothwell and everyone knew Cain was probably going to win. This fight was simply the UFC continuing to build up Cain Velasquez to help with their push into Mexico. I'll bet you almost anything that when the UFC hits Mexico in March or whenever, Cain vs. Lesnar/Carwin is the main event. Look at Cain's opponents: a bunch of cans and the tough guys he's faced don't have nearly the wrestling to deal with Cain. The UFC scrapped the Carwin-Cain fight because they didn't want their Mexican posterboy to get smashed before they could profit off of him.

Cain is the Mexican Bisping IMO. Bisping is a very solid fighter IMO, and I think he is routinely underrated, but look at what the UFC tried to do with him. They gave him a bunch of C-level fighters and an undeveloped Rashad (whom he lost to) to build him up. Then they gave him Hendo, which again IMO is a very winnable fight for Bisping if he executes the right gameplan. They could have easily set Bisping up with a bunch of very tough fights like they have done with others, but they protected him and they tried to get him one win vs. a huge name (Hendo) because they wanted to do Bisping vs. Anderson in the UK. Even if Bisping had been able to out-point Hendo by staying away from Hendo's power for three rounds, there's no way he would have "earned" a title shot against Anderson in the way that others like Nate Marquardt had to earn it. The UFC was looking for massive mainstream exposure in the UK, and Hendo f***ed that up for them because Bisping fought like a tard.

But anyway, Cain is the same f***ing thing. They are going to build this guy up so a bunch of Mexicans think he can win the belt, then they'll go down to Mexico, ham it up, get the mainstream exposure, take their money, and then Cain is going to get floored. But the UFC still wins, and big. And then Zuffa brass is going to come back from Mexico and tell all of their bigwig sponsors and network affiliates just how huge they are in Mexico and how appealing their product is to Latinos in America. s***, Dana won't say this all publicly, but he comes pretty close. He's gone on and on before about how important Cain is to growing the Hispanic market, and he's said the same things about Huerta.

What I want to know is why does Cain impress everyone so much? In what areas is his game elite at HW? Can someone please tell me why this guy isn't all hype?

Let's see...

Does he have a size advantage over anyone? Nope.

Power advantage? Hell no.

Strength/functional strength advantage? Over some, but definitely not over Lesnar or Carwin.

Athletic ability? Sure as hell isn't the athlete Lesnar is, and IMO Cigano is just as athletic at least.

Striking? Clearly he's at a disadvantage here against most UFC HW.

Wrestling credentials? Brock has him beat by a mile.

Offensive BJJ? LOL

Sub defense? We haven't seen him tested yet against a guy with serious skills off his back. Hmm, I wonder why...

Cardio? This is the one department that Cain might be elite in as a HW, but we haven't seen enough of him and his competition to really get a gauge on it. And even if Cain does have elite cardio, he's not going to have elite cardio pushing around a big ass Brock Lesnar for 5 rounds. Randy has pretty sick cardio and Randy was spent after one round against Brock.

Cain is a guy who will win a lot of fights because of his style, but he'll never be elite anywhere unless either the UFC installs a 220-230 division or Cain can cut to 205. He's going to get smashed as soon as he receives a style matchup that is as bad for him as he has been thusfar for his opponents.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects