MMA Thread

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 10:19 AM)
I don't see how beating Cain would boost Big Nog up anymore than he already is. Cain needs to win that fight more than Nog does.

Plus Mir finally getting proper strength & conditioning can only make him better against bigger guys. I'd be confident in his skills against Carwin.

Well losing to Cain would obviously knock him down a peg though, while with a win he pretty much has to be the number 1 contender. I think Mir could beat Carwin as well, but after the asswhooping he took against Lesnar he needs to prove it, hell even though he ended up winning he took an ass whooping in the first fight too.

I read earlier today that Strikeforce wants to do at least 20 shows in 2010 and match whatever the UFC does, including hitting PPV. LOL, they don't have the roster for that, not anything close to that. They may have a few top fighters, but nobody's going to buy their PPV's. They're planning on giving away Henderson-Shields on CBS and that's a fight they should try to sell since there are only so many top guys they can put together.

IMO it's looking like Coker isn't some great businessman, rather he's more of a middle man between Strikeforce ownership (the arena people), CBS, Showtime, M-1, and Dream. It appears that *right now* he's able to satisfy these other interests, but everyone is going to want his piece of the pie at some point. Strikeforce has been pretty tight-lipped about details from what I can tell, but you know CBS and Showtime have got to have some massive power over the company, and who knows what M-1 is demanding for their "promotional services?" The Dream thing I understand though. But still, 20+ shows including PPV plans? There's probably going to be some pushing and shoving behind the scenes because Strikeforce doesn't have that many main events to satisfy everyone, and IIRC, Fedor only has like 2 fights left on his deal.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 17, 2009 -> 12:44 AM)
I read earlier today that Strikeforce wants to do at least 20 shows in 2010 and match whatever the UFC does, including hitting PPV. LOL, they don't have the roster for that, not anything close to that. They may have a few top fighters, but nobody's going to buy their PPV's. They're planning on giving away Henderson-Shields on CBS and that's a fight they should try to sell since there are only so many top guys they can put together.

IMO it's looking like Coker isn't some great businessman, rather he's more of a middle man between Strikeforce ownership (the arena people), CBS, Showtime, M-1, and Dream. It appears that *right now* he's able to satisfy these other interests, but everyone is going to want his piece of the pie at some point. Strikeforce has been pretty tight-lipped about details from what I can tell, but you know CBS and Showtime have got to have some massive power over the company, and who knows what M-1 is demanding for their "promotional services?" The Dream thing I understand though. But still, 20+ shows including PPV plans? There's probably going to be some pushing and shoving behind the scenes because Strikeforce doesn't have that many main events to satisfy everyone, and IIRC, Fedor only has like 2 fights left on his deal.

I agree, trying to go toe-to-toe with the UFC at this point is a bad idea. The UFC just has so much more name value with casual fans and being on Showtime in so few homes means to the casual fans Strikeforce ran a show in November and then another one in April.

This is all without the UFC having a network deal too! It's being hinted that with Comcast buying NBC and Comcast owning Vs. and being familiar with Zuffa that that is where the UFC will eventually land.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Dec 19, 2009 -> 11:09 PM)
StrikeForce might have just gave us the most entertaining card of the year.

The WEC card wasn't too shabby either. Between those two cards, Cowboys/Saints & the Bulls, my remote was getting a workout.

King Mo looked good, he'll have to beat at least a top 20 guy for me to jump on the bandwagon though.

Souza made his name in the US tonight, you also have to wonder how much Lindland has left.

Melendez/Thomson II was teh awesomezzz. I think you've gotta do a rubber match or hope that Aoki will come over & fight Melendez.

Scott Smith pretty much screwed Strikeforce with the KO, it hurts Cung WAY more than it helps anyone.

Horodecki made a mistake & paid for it.

So now that we're done for MMA in 2009, shouldn't we be having the best of the year discussion? Just sayin....

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Dec 20, 2009 -> 01:43 AM)
The WEC card wasn't too shabby either. Between those two cards, Cowboys/Saints & the Bulls, my remote was getting a workout.

King Mo looked good, he'll have to beat at least a top 20 guy for me to jump on the bandwagon though.

Souza made his name in the US tonight, you also have to wonder how much Lindland has left.

Melendez/Thomson II was teh awesomezzz. I think you've gotta do a rubber match or hope that Aoki will come over & fight Melendez.

Scott Smith pretty much screwed Strikeforce with the KO, it hurts Cung WAY more than it helps anyone.

Horodecki made a mistake & paid for it.

So now that we're done for MMA in 2009, shouldn't we be having the best of the year discussion? Just sayin....

Agree with you on those two, good performances, but they were over handpicked opponents that suited them perfectly.

I enjoyed the Strikeforce card last night, but it just made me think there's no way they can run 20 cards a year. Strikeforce really needs to take a bigger step talent wise, I think Smith's upset was the first unpredictable thing that has happened on a Strikeforce card in a long time.

Melendez/Thomson was obviously extremely entertaining, but having it a week after BJ's last fight just put the bug in my head that BJ mops the floor with those two last night and likely Ken-Flo does too. Their exchanges were good and exciting, but a lot of arm punches. Aoki would be a heavy favorite to me against the winner in that rubber match.

The Le fight wasn't overly exciting for me, it's not exciting for me as a fan to see a hand picked opponent do zero circling, take exact paths that work for Le, Le hurt him, have the complete inability to finish him on the ground, wash rinse repeat for 2 1/2 rounds, (all while Mauro is screaming at me about how awesome he is) then Le finally gasses and a guy with good hands KOs him. They were trying to sell Le as a top 185'er? Are you kidding me? He would get crushed by any top 10 MW. (there's a reason Dana never pressed too hard for Le and it's the same reason he didn't go hard after Manhoef, they wouldn't always get guys who suited their match-ups)

Again, it was an entertaining card, but to me, just showed some holes to Strikeforce's overall gameplan.

WEC card was entertaining. Was a little annoyed how crazy the play-by-play guy was going over Cerronne's performance, it was good, but come on, Ratcliff got three direct nut shots, I imagine that slowed him down a touch!

Saw on mmaweekly.com they're looking at Fedor vs. Werdum in April, as earlier posts will show, I have little interest in that fight, Fedor will eat him alive on the feet and stuff any takedown shot.

Again, Strikeforce needs better, more challenging match-ups, but I'm afraid with them trying to run a lot of shows we are going to see

Strikeforce can't run 20 shows next year, it just won't work for them. When you try & copy the UFC is usually when your company ends up like EliteXC or Affliction. All they need is to keep being the alternative & they'll be successful.

Agreed w/ SF5604 on the BJ mopping up the SF 155 division. I think in 155, the UFC's talent is MUCH better.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Dec 23, 2009 -> 09:50 AM)
I forgot this deal was struck, but Zuffa is actually going to use it's PRIDE library starting January 15th on Spike. It will have Chuck vs. Overeem, Rampage vs. Wand (not sure which match), Newton vs. Anderson Silva and Rua vs. Randleman

HOORAY!

So, how does everyone vote on these following categories:

Fight of the Year

Fighter of the Year

Story/Headline of the Year

Event/Card of the Year

Most Impactful (not necessarily competitive) Fight of the Year

My picks:

Fight of the Year: Joe Benavidez vs. Dominick Cruz, but a long list to choose from

Fighter of the Year: Aldo (no-brainer given his rise) with a VERRRRRRY close 2nd to Shogun for not only completing his comeback, but coming back as a better fighter than he had been before (IMO)

Story/Headline of the Year: Strikeforce purchases ProElite's assets

Event/Card of the Year: WEC 42

Most Impactful (not necessarily competitive) Fight of the Year: tie between Lesnar-Mir 2 and GSP-Penn 2, for different reasons

Fight of the Year: Big Nog/Couture, I'd also give a nod to Sanchez/Guida or Torres/Mizugaki

Fighter of the Year: Machida. Took out 2 big guns in the toughest division in maybe MMA as a whole (IMO) GSP & Aldo are also up there.

Story of the Year: GreaseGate

Event: UFC 100

MI Fight of the Year: Lesnar/Mir II or Penn/Sanchez or GSP/Alves

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 12:18 AM)
Fight of the Year: Big Nog/Couture, I'd also give a nod to Sanchez/Guida or Torres/Mizugaki

Fighter of the Year: Machida. Took out 2 big guns in the toughest division in maybe MMA as a whole (IMO) GSP & Aldo are also up there.

Story of the Year: GreaseGate

Event: UFC 100

MI Fight of the Year: Lesnar/Mir II or Penn/Sanchez or GSP/Alves

I'm going to change my mind and take Nog-Randy as the fight of the year too, as it was probably the fight I had the most fun watching. It was one of those "you had to be there" moments with two legends who were pretty much counted out beforehand. Years from now people who weren't fans at the time will be able to watch that fight and say it was a great fight, but you really have to see a fight like that live and know the backstory to truly appreciate it. The last similar UFC fight that I can think of was Chuck-Wandy.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 28, 2009 -> 11:50 AM)
I'm going to change my mind and take Nog-Randy as the fight of the year too, as it was probably the fight I had the most fun watching. It was one of those "you had to be there" moments with two legends who were pretty much counted out beforehand. Years from now people who weren't fans at the time will be able to watch that fight and say it was a great fight, but you really have to see a fight like that live and know the backstory to truly appreciate it. The last similar UFC fight that I can think of was Chuck-Wandy.

I think that's a good way to describe Nog/Randy. Definitely was so awesome to watch as a long time MMA fan. It's similar to the Randy/Big Tim fight, that fight out of context is only OK, but in the moment it was so great.

Thoughts on 108:

-Silva, you sir are a dumbass. You had Evans right where you wanted him & you decided to showboat? Dude, you weren't even close to winning the fight at that point. You had to go for broke & you did not. With that being said, I'm still not any more sold on Rashad after this fight.

-Hazelett decided to stand with Semtex & paid for it.

-Stout looked damn good in the fight of the night, Dos Santos looked good too but I wouldn't say a win over Yvel puts him near the top of the division.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jan 3, 2010 -> 02:07 AM)
Thoughts on 108:

-Silva, you sir are a dumbass. You had Evans right where you wanted him & you decided to showboat? Dude, you weren't even close to winning the fight at that point. You had to go for broke & you did not. With that being said, I'm still not any more sold on Rashad after this fight.

-Hazelett decided to stand with Semtex & paid for it.

-Stout looked damn good in the fight of the night, Dos Santos looked good too but I wouldn't say a win over Yvel puts him near the top of the division.

I agree with you on Silva. I dont think he was nearly as gassed at Rogan was saying either. Silva was smart for the beginning of the 3rd b/c it appeared he was trying bait Rashard into a slugfest and then trying to counter. He had his chance but didnt go for broke for some reason. Not sold at all on Evans either. I think Rampage KOs him and Machida or Shogun would've blasted his head into the 11th row.

Semtex looked good as did Stout. Not a Lauzon fan so I was happy. JDS did what he shouldve done but now its time for him to face a capable grappler.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 3, 2010 -> 01:32 AM)
I agree with you on Silva. I dont think he was nearly as gassed at Rogan was saying either. Silva was smart for the beginning of the 3rd b/c it appeared he was trying bait Rashard into a slugfest and then trying to counter. He had his chance but didnt go for broke for some reason. Not sold at all on Evans either. I think Rampage KOs him and Machida or Shogun would've blasted his head into the 11th row.

Semtex looked good as did Stout. Not a Lauzon fan so I was happy. JDS did what he shouldve done but now its time for him to face a capable grappler.

I am actually a Lauzon fan, or a fan in general of good submission guys.

Lauzon needs to get his cardio back. He got gassed pretty quickly. He needs to work on his striking. His ground game is definitely good enough.

I agree on Evans. He is a knockout waiting to happen.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jan 3, 2010 -> 03:13 AM)
I am actually a Lauzon fan, or a fan in general of good submission guys.

Lauzon needs to get his cardio back. He got gassed pretty quickly. He needs to work on his striking. His ground game is definitely good enough.

I agree on Evans. He is a knockout waiting to happen.

but for business it worked out for the UFC since they can now have the Rampage/Evans fight.

Considering how that card was destroyed by injuries it was an entertaining card