MMA Thread

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jan 31, 2010 -> 02:02 AM)
Strikeforce tonight was entertaining.

Lashley showed nothing in running over Wes Sims, it's time for a step up in competition.

Holy s*** Robbie Lawler. He pulled a serious KO out of his ass there.

Walker looked good, but then again it seemed that I had as much skill as the guy he was facing...

I was getting my pizza out of the oven during the women's fight. But from what I saw, another dominant performance by Cyborg.

Diaz & Zaromskis went in there & scrapped. Diaz's boxing was just too much.

Not bad but not great tonight.

Walker was nice but the fight as a whole was boring.

MM couldve pulled a modern day Marco Ruas vs Paul Varlens if he wanted to. He was leg kicking the s*** out of Lawler and for some reason just let his guard down. Fun fight.

Lashley? This guy is hard to root for. He wants another 4 fights before the big timers? GTFO of here. Step up or go back to the local events.

Womens MMA has zero interest to me.

Diaz/Z fight was fun. Both fighters had chances to win but Diaz capitalized on his. I dont know if Nick's boxing was too much or his length was too much. Either way it was exciting.

That Nagy guy Walker fought was the worst fighter I've ever seen. Last night was the first time I watched an MMA event on television and saw a guy that I could beat myself. I have no idea how that guy was even sanctioned. WTF? And Herschel looked just as terrible as expected.

I too could not give a f*** about women's MMA. I used that fight as an opportunity to take a s***.

Lashley looked slow out there. He's got talent but he needs to give up this pro wrestling crap because there are way too many holes in his game and he's at the point now where he needs to be facing opponents that will force him to stand and trade, at least for a period. Sims is about as done as it gets.

The 2 fights I wanted to see though were awesome. Damn, Nick Diaz just keeps on getting better and his punches are gaining power. His accuracy definitely seems to be improving as well. Frank Shamrock is a f***ing tool for sitting there talking about how Nick's punches don't hurt, they're just "confusing." Oh really? He always says that s***, meanwhile Nick is laying people out. I wish Strikeforce would dump that guy.

Manhoef looked awesome once again and Robbie's KO should stick as one of the more memorable KO's of the year by the time December rolls around again. I'm glad Melvin is in the US and a future Lawler-Hendo fight will be fun. Since it's Strikeforce and weight classes don't mean a whole lot, maybe Diaz will go back to MW for a rematch with Robbie since Robbie lost to Shields not too long ago.

Agree with most of the feelings posted already on last nights card.

The Lawler/Melvin fight was entertaining as was the Diaz fight. Melvin has to be a little worried that stand-up is basically his only thing and he lost a stand-up fight, even if it was on a tremendous punch. When he signed with Strikeforce Meltzer wrote that Rogan was pushing Dana and others at the UFC to sign him but they thought he was too one dimensional.

Diaz continues to improve, hopefully Strikeforce makes some fun matches with him.

I agree, I don't really care about female MMA, so that fight had little to offer and even beyond that it wasn't a very good fight, not bad, but not good.

The Simms/Lashley fight was a joke. Strikeforce can't promote matches like that if they wanted to be taken seriously. I watched with a room full of casual at best MMA fans and they all laughed, not in a good way, when they saw Simms and that he was fighting Lashley.

Walker fight was silly too. If either of those guys had a decent level of skill it would have been over in the first, either Walker should have finished from the top or Nagy should have grabbed his arm that was just hanging there and ripped it off.

It was on Showtime, which I have, and I got two enjoyable fights out of it, so I don't want to complain too much.

I've only watched a handful of MMA fights and I could even tell that Walker looked to have issues when fighting. Anyone think they gave Walker a terrible opponent to make sure he had a great chance at winning? Whatever the case is, Walker looked to be in awesome shape, especially for a near 48 year old.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Jan 31, 2010 -> 11:52 AM)
I've only watched a handful of MMA fights and I could even tell that Walker looked to have issues when fighting. Anyone think they gave Walker a terrible opponent to make sure he had a great chance at winning? Whatever the case is, Walker looked to be in awesome shape, especially for a near 48 year old.

they tried a few opponents, but the AC was real strict about who they would OK a fight with.

Yes, he is in tremendous shape for a 48 year old, but I agree with what Jay Glazer twittered, basically he said that he loves when people give the sport a try, but the sport is getting to big for spectacles like that. I agree, I don't begrudge Walker in any way, but it kind of makes the sport look bad when that fight and the Lashley fights are shown on a big card.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jan 31, 2010 -> 11:57 AM)
they tried a few opponents, but the AC was real strict about who they would OK a fight with.

Yes, he is in tremendous shape for a 48 year old, but I agree with what Jay Glazer twittered, basically he said that he loves when people give the sport a try, but the sport is getting to big for spectacles like that. I agree, I don't begrudge Walker in any way, but it kind of makes the sport look bad when that fight and the Lashley fights are shown on a big card.

Have to remember for his first ever fight and only a few months of training, Walker was pretty damn impressive. Obviously he has a lot to improve on if he wants to continue his mma career but you dont become great overnight. He apparently is still in amazing shape so be interesting if he continues to train and fight again, he obviously didnt take any damage in the match that would slow him down.

StrikeForce isnt big enough yet to have 40% of their card filled with new guys fighting bums. And then throw in the women's fight and that makes it 60% crap. One fight on a card is tolerable I guess. When is Roger Gracie going to be used? I guess he's dropping to 205 but lets get him out there already.

Atleast the CBS show in April will be good.

Fedor-Werdum

Henderson-Shields

Mousasi-Lawal rumoured.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 31, 2010 -> 02:43 PM)
StrikeForce isnt big enough yet to have 40% of their card filled with new guys fighting bums. And then throw in the women's fight and that makes it 60% crap. One fight on a card is tolerable I guess. When is Roger Gracie going to be used? I guess he's dropping to 205 but lets get him out there already.

Fedor-Werdum

Henderson-Shields

Mousasi-Lawal rumoured.

So they're gonna maybe throw King Mo to the wolves eh? Fine by me.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 31, 2010 -> 02:43 PM)

Fedor-Werdum

Henderson-Shields

Mousasi-Lawal rumoured.

Agreed on the 60% crap part, that's exactly what I thought going into it. The worst part is listening to Mauro talk about it while it's happening. The guy isn't even calling the fights, he's pleading with the viewer not to change the channel. Mauro Ranallo is MMA's version of the desperate used car salesman who needs to get that rusty old Cavalier with the broken seatbelts off the lot or his family's going hungry.

IIRC Roger Gracie got hurt and/or had a baby, or something like that. There's a reason he's out though and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to do with Strikeforce.

That CBS card looks pretty sick, even though I'm expecting washouts in 2 of those.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 31, 2010 -> 01:09 PM)
Have to remember for his first ever fight and only a few months of training, Walker was pretty damn impressive. Obviously he has a lot to improve on if he wants to continue his mma career but you dont become great overnight. He apparently is still in amazing shape so be interesting if he continues to train and fight again, he obviously didnt take any damage in the match that would slow him down.

I don't see how I have to "remember" any of that stuff since it's basically what I said. My point is I have zero interest in watching it.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jan 31, 2010 -> 11:57 AM)

Agree, but I'm not putting Lashley anywhere near the Herschel debacle because at least Lashley belongs in the cage. I know some people are saying Walker looked good, and did great for his age, etc. but all that's lost on me. He wasn't skilled enough to be in there and he didn't perform well enough to deserve a second shot. That Nagy guy shouldn't have even had a pro record. There's no reason someone that poorly skilled should be allowed to compete as a professional; it's dangerous and it makes the sport look bad. And for Walker to take 2 1/2 rounds to finish an opponent that horrible - with armpit punches mind you - that's enough of a reason to close the door permanently. The Walker-Nagy fight made the Kimbo-Thompson fight look good.

I just won UFC tickets from Dana for making fun of him in photoshops, lol. Not that anyone cares, but I have to say I love Dana White. He's so awesome. UFC rules.

BTW, taking Randy but rooting for Coleman tomorrow. This is one that could end up being pretty damn exciting despite all the criticism. It may sound like a s***ty main event, but as soon as the fight starts I'll definitely be into it.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 04:05 PM)
I just won UFC tickets from Dana for making fun of him in photoshops, lol. Not that anyone cares, but I have to say I love Dana White. He's so awesome. UFC rules.

BTW, taking Randy but rooting for Coleman tomorrow. This is one that could end up being pretty damn exciting despite all the criticism. It may sound like a s***ty main event, but as soon as the fight starts I'll definitely be into it.

I care if you take me! haha, congrats.

I'll be betting on Coleman tomorrow. I took him at +300 vs Bonnar and cant pass up these odds again. Hoping the odds increase toward the +350 range before pulling the trigger. It's +320 at my book right now.

Also taking Thiago too. Right now he's sitting at +190 so I'm waiting for it to creep over 200.

Hague at +150 is tempting me but dont know if I will do it though.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 09:22 PM)
I care if you take me! haha, congrats.

I'll be betting on Coleman tomorrow. I took him at +300 vs Bonnar and cant pass up these odds again. Hoping the odds increase toward the +350 range before pulling the trigger. It's +320 at my book right now.

Also taking Thiago too. Right now he's sitting at +190 so I'm waiting for it to creep over 200.

Hague at +150 is tempting me but dont know if I will do it though.

Ha, if there was an event anywhere around here anytime soon I'd definitely be cool with taking a fellow SoxTalker. I'm planning on giving them to my nephew for a graduation present though, he's not too far away from Vegas and the UFC is always there.

Hopefully you win on Coleman. Do you think he's going to out-power Randy early or catch him good or something? I don't know how he'll be able to handle Randy's conditioning after about 5 minutes in there. I'm rooting for him though.

If it were me I'd probably go with a parlay on Marquardt, Maia, and Trigg. I don't even know why Trigg is the underdog in this fight, and Maia and Nate have wins in the bag IMO, they're both absolutely terrible matchups for Miller and Sonnen. Hague could be a great bet though, and betus has him at +160. I could definitely see Thiago winning against Swick by sub or decision, but that fight seems pretty dangerous for Thiago if he stands up for a little while. I still think Swick is a lot better than he showed against Hardy. Ronys Torres could also be a pretty good bet against Guillard. He trains at Nova Uniao with Aldo, Fabiano, Leites, etc., is 14-1, and only 2 of his wins have been decisions with the rest of his wins being finishes on the ground. His one loss is via KO though, but if he can get the fight down to the ground he should be able to finish Melvin. Betus has him at +105.

Trigg is probably an underdog in what is a pretty even fight IMO because casual U.S. fans know who Sera is and aren't familiar with Trigg. The two fights he had with Hughes were right before and during UFC's upswing in popularity, then he associated himself with PRIDE for its last few years. Also, from a fight standpoint, Trigg's stand-up isn't an advantage over Serra, and Serra has excellent BJJ, so if it becomes a grapple fest or Trigg wants to GNP him from a guard or half guard Serra could pull a sub. Again, I think it's a coin toss match and if I was forced to bet I would take Trigg only because he's the underdog and could make some money on it.

As for the main I could see it going either way and I like both fighters. If forced to pick, I would take Randy, just because i could see wrestling canceling each other out and Randy is slicker in his dirty boxing.

This will be the first UFC I've missed in awhile. Going out for a good friends b-day tomorrow and doesn't look like the bar will be showing it. A little disappointed to miss it since I am very interested in the main and Nate is one of my favorite fighters, but between the 4 sick cards the UFC have scheduled between March 21 and April 10 and the Strikeforce card in April I will be scheduling around those some, so needed to let one go!!

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Feb 5, 2010 -> 11:46 PM)
Hopefully you win on Coleman. Do you think he's going to out-power Randy early or catch him good or something? I don't know how he'll be able to handle Randy's conditioning after about 5 minutes in there. I'm rooting for him though.

If it were me I'd probably go with a parlay on Marquardt, Maia, and Trigg. I don't even know why Trigg is the underdog in this fight, and Maia and Nate have wins in the bag IMO, they're both absolutely terrible matchups for Miller and Sonnen. Hague could be a great bet though, and betus has him at +160. I could definitely see Thiago winning against Swick by sub or decision, but that fight seems pretty dangerous for Thiago if he stands up for a little while. I still think Swick is a lot better than he showed against Hardy. Ronys Torres could also be a pretty good bet against Guillard. He trains at Nova Uniao with Aldo, Fabiano, Leites, etc., is 14-1, and only 2 of his wins have been decisions with the rest of his wins being finishes on the ground. His one loss is via KO though, but if he can get the fight down to the ground he should be able to finish Melvin. Betus has him at +105.

I think Coleman will catch Couture at some point tonight. Randy might have the better stand up from a technical standpoint but he's been getting tagged at some point in every fight he's had since his comeback. Coleman still hits hard and I believe there will be chances for Coleman to connect. Plus Coleman has only been stopped twice in his career, 12 years ago with the Pete Williams KO and Mirko KOing him 5 years ago. I dont really count the Shogun stop since there was 20 seconds left in the fight and the ref shouldve let it go. Coleman is a tough SOB and I dont see Randy KOing Coleman to get the win.

Coleman struggles in the cardio area but it seems like he actually trained for this fight at a good camp. He needs this fight for a lot of reasons, including the chance to keep making money to support his family. So Coleman might be a little more desperate for this fight.

Another reason I like Coleman is from a body standpoint. Both are old and have Ric Flair man tits but Couture looks skinny IMO. He is skinny from his shoulders to his wrists. Looks very deflated. Coleman might be a little softer in the chest area but he still has the arms of a heavyweight. I'm sure I sound dumb but I think that can play a bigger role than most would expect. I think Couture's only way to victory is to grind out a win by pushing Coleman against the fence. Since I think Coleman is stronger, I dont see that happening. But who knows.

And f*** me. As I'm writing this Coleman dropped from 320 to 300! Oh well, +300 is still too good of a value in this matchup IMO.

^The hope you had for Coleman is the same hope I had for Trigg. Both guys are done, well done actually. It's kind of sad, but they really need to hang it up. I hope the UFC keeps them around in some capacity. Trigg can definitely help out in the broadcast booth, and maybe help out hosting new programs like the Pride series and whatnot. Coleman meanwhile would be a great PR person and meet and greet guy.

BTW, WTF happened to Mike Swick? His standup blows and he has no confidence. Nothing against Paulo Thiago, but I never expected Swick to be scared of exchanging with him. That was his shot at winning. Swick probably needs a change of scenery at this point, and I don't mean he needs to leave the UFC, I mean he needs to get out of AKA and go train elsewhere. Nothing against AKA either, but it's clearly not working for him anymore.

Paulo Thiago was definitely impressive though. He looks like he's only a fight away from a title shot, and he's definitely more deserving than Dan Hardy right now.

And my God Chael Sonnen! Where did this aggressiveness come from? Get this guy a Deathclutch t-shirt! I thought Marquardt was going to absolutely embarrass Chael. And I know about his wrestling, but his performances against Paulo Filho (especially the 2nd fight where Filho was hallucinating and talking to invisible people while gassed out and Chael still couldn't finish him) and his 15-minute dry humping of Dan Miller had me thinking he was nothing more than a boring LnP gatekeeper. Last night he was awesome.

Also impressed with Maia, Miller and Guillard. Rolles Gracie : The Gracie Family :: Jason Guida : The Guida Family X10000.

well, the injury bug is still biting the UFC, Belfort out of his fight with Silva in Abu Dabi due to a shoulder injury. Meltzer thinks they will offer it to Sonnen, but he's on a 30 day medical suspension for the nasty cut and there's a question if that thing could heal well enough in a little over 2 months

112 took a MAJOR hit IMO. Silva-Belfort had me juiced. Still a solid card so far but the MW title fight put it over the top. Now we get to just see BJ roll through another 155'er and see Hughes try to take out another Gracie and Renzo trying to revenge the losses of Royce and Serra.

If Sonnen can somehow squeeze into the slot then he better treat Anderson the same way he treated Marquardt and just rush in for the takedown immediately, and say on him. If he's hesitant at all he'll get KO'd in the first. But then again, Sonnen is just going to end up getting subbed if he takes it to the ground.

Yeah, I was a lot more excited about Vitor. The UFC should just give Anderson a fight at 205.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 12, 2010 -> 11:54 PM)
Looks like Chael's cut wouldn't heal in time, Maia is getting the title shot

I believe Sonnen chose not to take it. Maia's medically suspended until August w/ an eyelid laceration I believe & he's gonna be good to go in April?

Hope this doesn't end up like Silva/Leites