MMA Thread

QUOTE (zenryan @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 11:24 PM)
Another boring GSP fight.

Matt Serra has ruined any hope of GSP being entertaining. If he doesnt fight Silva next then he is scared of getting hurt and would rather just out-point fighters and not challenge himself.

ok, wasn't exactly the most thrilling main event, but that was a highly entertaining PPV.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 2, 2011 -> 03:32 PM)
ok, wasn't exactly the most thrilling main event, but that was a highly entertaining PPV.

The rest of the PPV card was fun.

I'm glad Vladdy got a nice win.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 25, 2011 -> 09:07 PM)
it would have to be 2nd top ten, Daley may be one dimensional, but he was top 10 when they fought. Hard to gauge Diaz without seeing him face a very good wrestler, but he's certainly top 10 in my book. Unfortunately looks like he will box next, so MMA will wait a little.

I take it back. I keep forgetting that his chin will keep him in almost any fight. He's not the great stiker he's made out to be, however.

QUOTE (Real @ May 5, 2011 -> 02:16 PM)
anybody else getting the pacquiao Mosley PPV besides me?

No. I love boxing but there's no way I can justify spending 50 bucks on a ppv for this sport unless it's Manny-Mayweather.

QUOTE (Real @ May 6, 2011 -> 10:48 PM)
found a local bar in town that got the rights to show the fight, cost them $2600 lol

they're charging $10/head at the door

i dont know where you live, but i always would go to Fox and Hound in Schaumburg, they would charge 5 bucks a person. It has been over a year since i have been there though, so that could have changed.

• 3 weeks later...

lots of rumors, nothing confirmed from Zuffa, but looks like Nick Diaz/GSP will be the next TUF coaches and will fight later this year. Makes sense, but I imagine Zuffa will have had to talk to Showtime and came to some sort of agreement. Nick is still on a SF contract and outside of Fedor, he has proven to be SF's best draw. Zuffa took over those SF/Showtime contracts, and just picking Nate and putting him in the UFC would give Showtime a legit argument that Zuffa isn't executing the SF/Showtime deal in good faith.

However, I've seen lately that Zuffa and Showtime are getting along well and alternatives for Showtime to agree to it are numerous. They can always use some UFC fighters with some name value on SF Showtime cards, Zuffa could promote Showtime boxing PPVs, and on and on.

Hopefully it happens, it makes sense.

Unfortunately Aldo is hurt again and out of his fight with Mendes.

UPDATE: If there were anything to the rumors, nothing came of them. Michael Bisping and Mayhem Miller will coach the next season of TUF, with their match on the Spike finale show in Dec.

Edited by SoxFan562004

• 3 weeks later...

Floyd "Money" Mayweather vs "Vicious" Victor Ortiz, September 17th, 2011 at (presumably) the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, NV

Can't wait!!! Most dangerous fighter Floyd has faced in his career (one could argue the first JLC fight, though Floyd had an injured shoulder that night, and rematched+destroyed him in the 2nd fight)

Ortiz is a southpaw who some feel has better footwork than even Floyd does, however he is definitely very green (I think he's only 25 or 26) and already has 2 losses on his resume..

Floyd needs to be aggressive in this fight in order for it to appeal to the casual boxing fan, otherwise he will skate to an easy UD ala Andre Ward..

Definitely getting this PPV though

• 3 weeks later...

Mitrione was pretty good Saturday too. I have to admit, I thought he was a flake on TUF, and I didnt think he had a shot in the UFC. But he has really taken his training to another level, you can see it in him. He doesnt have that flabby weight that he did on TUF

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 08:52 PM)
Mitrione was pretty good Saturday too. I have to admit, I thought he was a flake on TUF, and I didnt think he had a shot in the UFC. But he has really taken his training to another level, you can see it in him. He doesnt have that flabby weight that he did on TUF

he's a good natural athlete and at HW, especially up and coming, that can take you a long way. HW will be interesting in a year or so, because I think some of the SF guys will start coming over.

• 2 weeks later...

sigh, another huge black eye on boxing tonight

paul williams vs erislandy lara, 154 junior middleweight fight

basically, lara destroyed williams, I thought the fight was going to be stopped in the 10th rd as Lara was landing straight left hands at will (he landed 50% of his power shots on Williams)

williams wins a majority victory, boxing fans are up in arms over this right now as it's being labeled one of the most corrupt decisions of the last 15-20 years

quotes i've seen so far from fans:

"****ing disgrace!!!! Smfh!!!"

"And then people wonder why MMA is getting the better of boxing."

"this is embarrasing to the sport. Lara wupped his a$$ and P.Williams and his camp knows it. WOW!"

"This is what it is wrong with boxing. No way in justifying this cause it wasn't even close and this is comming from a PW fan"

"F*ck boxing I can't take this sh*t no more!!!"

"This was an absolute disgrace. Absolute disgrace."

"Another robbery from the crooked judges in Atlantic City, NJ."

"another nail in the coffin of the sport called "boxing""

"this is bull **** lara won the fight this is the worst robbery i ever seen"

"Really disgusted. Btw, long time boxing fan who would be rooting for the American fighter. May cancel Al Haymon/ HBO now. No integrity left in my favorite sport."

"This was not surprising because I have known all along how overrated Williams happens to be. And the fight it self was by far one of the worst decision I have ever witnessed. So, the next time I hear about bad decisions in Germany I will just remember how a Cuba fighter, who fought a great fight, got royally screwed in Atlantic City, USA."

"There should be an investigation of the judges and ideally the decision should be overturned and the 'W' given to Lara. A real bad black eye for the sport.

P.Will wants Martinez after this performance? he is delusional."

• 2 weeks later...

Alistair Overeem out of the SF HWGP. Were some rumbles earlier SF/Zuffa/Showtime wanted the next round to be September 10 and he said he wouldn't fight then. Turns out it will be September 10th, so he's not fighting on it now. Daniel Cormier is taking his place.

Dana says Showtime wanted the next card to be on the 10th, so it's happening then. AO was throwing out the pro boxing possibility which to me is just taking a page out of the Nick Diaz negotiation handbook.

Who knows what's really going on. UFC's deal with Spike is wrapping up early in 2012 and the Showtime options for SF are out there. The TV deals for MMA have a big chance of looking wildly different next year and it's causing a lot of weird holding patterns right now.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 08:32 PM)
Who knows what's really going on. UFC's deal with Spike is wrapping up early in 2012 and the Showtime options for SF are out there. The TV deals for MMA have a big chance of looking wildly different next year and it's causing a lot of weird holding patterns right now.

Especially since the head of HBO Sports was pretty much fired. Him being very anti-MMA could mean that we could finally see the UFC hit HBO.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 09:51 PM)
Especially since the head of HBO Sports was pretty much fired. Him being very anti-MMA could mean that we could finally see the UFC hit HBO.

yeah, and it seems like Spike is ready to make a run at Bellator if/when UFC leaves. I think the UFC will do something major, PPVs have stagnated/decreased (some is due to injuries and Brock not being on one in awhile). I think to take the company to another level they need a bigger presence than Spike, Vs., PPV combo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...