Rainout Frustration

chisoxt

OK, let me preface this by saying that I live in Oak Park which is a few miles from the park and I realize that the weather conditions there may be different, but here I sit at 8:30 pm and it has stopped raining for a good solid two plus hours. Why did they call this game so soon? I know that there was no Konerko and Crede and Thome are ouchy, but come on! The double headers and lost off days later in the season are piling up.

I am not sure if the Sox employ a professional meterologist, or if they just rely on Roger Bossard's big toe for guidance, but this happened once before this year.

They really handeled tonight piss poor. They could have easily started this thing at 8:30 or 9, and they add on by scheduling the makeup game for a Monday afternoon in late August, a date and time in which nobody is going to show up, AND it means we have a stretch during that time of 19 games in 19 days now. A lot of people got screwed tonight, that's for sure, and it's a darn shame.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 27, 2007 -> 03:48 AM)
They really handeled tonight piss poor. They could have easily started this thing at 8:30 or 9, and they add on by scheduling the makeup game for a Monday afternoon in late August, a date and time in which nobody is going to show up, AND it means we have a stretch during that time of 19 games in 19 days now. A lot of people got screwed tonight, that's for sure, and it's a darn shame.

Yep, spent a lot of money for four tickets tonight, and there's no way any of the people can go to the game in August. I can't imagine how pissed off some families with little kids would be about this.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ May 26, 2007 -> 11:59 PM)
You really will find a way to b**** about everything, huh?

How did the Sox handle tonight "Piss Poor"? I am sure there was a number of reasons for the Sox calling the game tonight, especially so early.

They rescheduled the game for a Monday afternoon in late August. Most college kids are back to school, as well as K-12. The walkup for that game will be crap, and they will probably be lucky to have 15+ asses in seats that game. A Saturday night game in May>>>Monday afternoon in late August.

But you right, it is a shame people got screwed tonight, but blame the weather, not the Sox.

Because Sunday is a getaway day, the choice was between a true double header (1 ticket, two games) and a rescheduled game, the Sox were going to choose the one that provided more revenue everytime. They've got a guaranteed 20K with their season ticket base for the reschedule, and can count out 5-10K more, which is 25-30K more tickets sold than in the double header situation.

Edited by Gene Honda Civic

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 27, 2007 -> 12:04 AM)
Because Sunday is a getaway day, the choice was between a true double header (1 ticket, two games) and a rescheduled game, the Sox were going to choose the one that provided more revenue everytime. They've got a guaranteed 20K with their season ticket base for the reschedule, and can count out 5-10K more, which is 25-30K more tickets sold than in the double header situation.

Not too mention people are going to be grilling tomorrow.

The game COULD have been played, and SHOULD have been played on Saturday night. The rain was out of the area, at worst, by 8:00 PM, and they could have had first pitch by 8:30 PM.

I have no idea if they have some internal policy to call any game with rain early of if they are just worried about losing any potential revenue from a sell out, but this was just stupid.

From a baseball standpoint, we lost the chance to face a bad pitcher, and now will have to face Scott Kazmir, who if he's on, will win on Sunday, and how many double-hitters do we now have to play in the summer ?

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 26, 2007 -> 10:48 PM)

I had two buddies of mine come from out of town to go to the game last night. We got there, tailgated (had fun in such), and got sent home. I understood why. The ground was saturated to s*** and the rain was constant (albeit light, it was still constant). I NEVER once looked at it as me/us getting "screwed". What, does KW have a weather dial in his office to control mother nature and figure out ways to "screw" the fans over? I am not sure how anything was handled "piss poor", the weather is the weather, what else were they supposed to do?

s*** happens. It rained and was a no-go. We went to Balmoral and won some tall dollars on the ponies....

This post of yours cracks me up though. Because you would have been the same person that *IF* they played last nights game, and *IF* someone got hurt because of it, you would have b****ed up storm about how the conditions were bad and they should not have played because of it. I, for one, was not happy they did it (I wanted to watch them smack the s*** out of Jackson), but understood why.

The weather has been crazy this year. I can't believe how many games the Sox have canceled already. We have only played 44 games, and there are teams that have already played 50.

The only positive is that the Sox have had extra opportunities to let some of these nagging injuries heal. Hopefully that will translate into a nice winning streak.

The Sox will get their break during the All-Star break since none of them will be on the team. I could see a pitcher making it, but thats it.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ May 27, 2007 -> 09:53 AM)
The weather has been crazy this year. I can't believe how many games the Sox have canceled already. We have only played 44 games, and there are teams that have already played 50.

The only positive is that the Sox have had extra opportunities to let some of these nagging injuries heal. Hopefully that will translate into a nice winning streak.

The Sox will get their break during the All-Star break since none of them will be on the team. I could see a pitcher making it, but thats it.

eh?

edit: NM, I read that wrong(I read into it as some sort of prediction of a White Flag trade). Carry on.

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 26, 2007 -> 10:48 PM)

Probably Ozzie's fault.

I live a couple blocks from the park, and the weather wasn't that bad at all. It's baseball, you play in some wet weather once in a while. I've seen games played in much worse weather than last night. I don't really care, though. I spent the night watching UFC and drinking for free.

Where is the ASG this year?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ May 27, 2007 -> 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I live a couple blocks from the park, and the weather wasn't that bad at all. It's baseball, you play in some wet weather once in a while. I've seen games played in much worse weather than last night. I don't really care, though. I spent the night watching UFC and drinking for free.

Where is the ASG this year?

speaking of UFC, i dont really follow it much, but how did liddell lose in the FIRST round. is that common?

QUOTE(briguy27 @ May 27, 2007 -> 12:38 PM)
speaking of UFC, i dont really follow it much, but how did liddell lose in the FIRST round. is that common?
He got punched in the head. It actually happens a lot more than you would expect.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 26, 2007 -> 08:25 PM)
The ground is pretty saturated right now and the storm call hasnt moved on. It may have stopped raining, but that doesnt mean its over

Saturated? They had only 3/10 of an inch of rain at Midway over 2 days.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 27, 2007 -> 12:04 AM)

All those points are realistically understood, but they could have definitely played last night. And no, I don't blame Ozzie, he didn't want this game rescheduled for August either (that's not to you, it's a general statement). It's just a pretty crappy way to treat fans in the sense they reschedule the Yankee rainout as part of a doubleheader and give the fans who had their game rained out the option to get one of a bunch of other games, and last nights game is rained out and you either get to go to a Monday afternoon game in late August or no game at all. Sucks when it's all about money though I guess.