History since the Cubs last won a World Series

My older brother emailed this to me so I thought I'd share it with you all. Enjoy !

Numerous major events that have occurred since the Chicago Cubs last won a World Series:

1. Radio was invented; Cubs fans got to hear their team lose.

2. TV was invented; Cubs fans got to see their team lose.

3. The internet was invented. Just another way for Cub fans to learn that their team lost.

4. Baseball added 14 teams; Cubs fans get to see and hear their team lose to more clubs.

5. George Burns celebrated his 10th, 20th, 30th, 40th, 50th, 60th, 70th, 80th, 90th and 100th birthdays.

6. Haley's comet passed Earth twice.

7. Harry Caray was born....and died. Incredible, but true.

8. Two world wars were fought and the U.S. has fought in at least three major conflicts besides the world wars.

9. The atomic bomb was researched, invented, tested and deployed - twice! The cities it destroyed have been rebuilt.

10. The country of Israel was created.

11. The Berlin Wall was erected and torn down.

12. The NBA, NHL and NFL were formed, and ALL Chicago teams won championships in each league.

13. Man landed on the moon, as have several home runs given up by Cubs pitchers.

14. Sixteen U.S. Presidents were elected.

15. Nine Popes, who serve a life term, have led the Catholic Church.

16. Richard J. Daley was elected mayor of Chicago 6 times. His son, Richard M. Daley, was elected mayor of Chicago 6 times (and counting)!

17. Six generations of cicadas have come and gone.

18. There were 11 amendments added to the Constitution.

19. Prohibition was created and repealed.

20. Airlines were created so people could travel by air.

21. The Titanic was built, set sail, sank, was discovered and became the subject of major motion pictures, the latest giving Cubs fans hope that something that finishes on the bottom can come out on top.

22. Wrigley Field was built and becomes the oldest park in the National League.

23. Flag poles were erected on Wrigley Field roof to hold all of the team's future World Series pennants. Those flag poles have since rusted and been taken down.

24. A combination of 40 Summer and Winter Olympics have been held.

25. Thirteen baseball players have won the Triple Crown; several thanked Cubs pitchers.

26. Babe Ruth hit 714 home runs. His last home run was more than 70 years ago.

27. Bell-bottoms came in style, went out of style and came back in.

28. The Chicago White Sox, Cleveland Indians, Boston Red Sox, New York Mets (twice), Kansas City Royals, Toronto Blue Jays (twice), Anaheim Angels, Arizona Diamondbacks and the Florida Marlins (twice) have all won the World Series. The Mets, Royals, Blue Jays, Angels, Diamondbacks and Marlins were expansion teams that started from scratch more than 50 years after the Cubs last won the World Series, with the Diamondbacks winning the World Series in just their fourth season, the Marlins winning the World Series in just their fifth and eleventh seasons and the Mets winning the World Series in their ninth and twenty sixth seasons.

29. The Cubs played 14,153 regular-season games; they have lost more than half of them.

30. 5 states, Alaska, Arizona, Hawaii, Oklahoma and New Mexico, were added to the Union.

31. Chicago, Texas, New Orleans and Florida all experienced 500 year rains.

32. A tsunami killed more than 250,000 people.

33. San Francisco was destroyed by an earthquake the same year the Cubs lost to the Sox in the World Series. San Francisco was still in the process of being rebuilt after the Cubs won their last World Series.

34. The New York Yankees won 26 World Series, 39 Pennants and have made 46 Playoff Appearances.

Great Quotes in Cubs History

"Noise pollution can't be that much of a problem [at Wrigley]. There's nothing to cheer about."--State Rep. John F. Dunn, arguing for the installation of lights at Wrigley Field

"If I managed the Cubs, I'd be an alcoholic."--Whitey Herzog

"There's nothing wrong with this team that more pitching, more fielding and more hitting couldn't help." --Bill Buckner

"You get tired of looking at garbage in your own backyard."--Cubs manager Lee Elia in 1983 about why the Cubs got rid of so many players. Before being fired later that same season, Elia went into his infamous tirade against Cub fans. Listen to the tirade here. It's as good today as it was 24 years ago.

http://users.rcn.com/pkatcher/audio/LeeEliaTirade.mp3

"The Cubs were taking batting practice, and the pitching machine threw a no-hitter."--Radio deejay

"The only bad thing about being released by the Cubs is that they made me keep my season tickets." --Ken Reitz, ex-Cub third baseman

"Would the lady who left her nine kids at Wrigley Field please pick them up immediately? They are beating the Cubs 4-0 in the 7th inning."--Radio deejay

GO SOX!!!

QUOTE(RME JICO @ May 27, 2007 -> 09:28 AM)
Pretty good list, but I think there are about 100,000 more you could add to that list.

Thread probably belongs in The Diamond Club.

For the sake of brevity couldn't list the history of the world for 100+ years. :D I hope it doesn't get moved. More Soxtalkers will see it here. I never even look at the Diamond club and the Elia tirade alone is a must hear !

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ May 27, 2007 -> 09:44 AM)
The original post has been made 23,325 times since the last time the Cubs won the World Series.

People just can't be nice can they ? I've been around here almost 3 years so excuuuuuuuse me . I haven't seen it before.