Kobe To the Bulls Rumors

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 02:25 PM)
Kobe opts out in 2 years, and if he wants to get paid, he's going to have to agree to a sign and trade. The Lakers are far from powerless here.

They are completely powerless here. He wants out. This is not unlike the AI, Vince Carter and KG situation. We have all the leverage because we dont need to make this trade at all. The Lakers prob wont make the playoffs without rebuilding and gathering more talent. They are not in a position of strength at all. Heres chad ford's take

Chad Ford: Just depends on how desperate the Lakers get. If they are really ready to part ways, I think Chicago's offer of Gordon, Tyrus Thomas and Noah is a very good offer. Three young players with a lot of talent and some cap relief. Up to this point the Lakers have insisted that they want more. But I'm not sure how they get it. As Chris Sheridan has pointed out, Kobe isn't waiving his no trade clause if the team has to gut themselves to get them. Kobe wants to win. Any team he's traded to has to be in a position to still do that when he's acquired.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 02:32 PM)
They are completely powerless here. He wants out. This is not unlike the AI, Vince Carter and KG situation. We have all the leverage because we dont need to make this trade at all. The Lakers prob wont make the playoffs without rebuilding and gathering more talent. They are not in a position of strength at all. Heres chad ford's take

He's still the best player and biggest draw in the game. They don't have to trade him. Its not like the clock is ticking. If they improve their team, Buss and Kobe would kiss and make up in a heartbeat. I'm just one that doesn't see why the Lakers would be desperate.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 02:36 PM)
He's still the best player and biggest draw in the game. They don't have to trade him. Its not like the clock is ticking. If they improve their team, Buss and Kobe would kiss and make up in a heartbeat. I'm just one that doesn't see why the Lakers would be desperate.

Because Kobe wants out, ownership wants him out, they dont get along, they refuse to put talent around him, and the team is going nowhere fast. I guess other than that they arent desperate.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 02:42 PM)
Because Kobe wants out, ownership wants him out, they dont get along, they refuse to put talent around him, and the team is going nowhere fast. I guess other than that they arent desperate.

Magic Johnson, a lot closer to the situation than any of us, and even closer than Dan Bernstein, floated the possibility of Kobe remaining with the Lakers and the Lakers improving their team. I think the desperation is very overrated, but we shall see. Besides, if he's so miserable there, the longer they wait, the greater the possibility he expands his landing spots, thus increasing the Lakers chances at a better package.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 02:45 PM)
Magic Johnson, a lot closer to the situation than any of us, and even closer than Dan Bernstein, floated the possibility of Kobe remaining with the Lakers and the Lakers improving their team. I think the desperation is very overrated, but we shall see. Besides, if he's so miserable there, the longer they wait, the greater the possibility he expands his landing spots, thus increasing the Lakers chances at a better package.

I understand the logic, but based on the previous deals for superstars and what they landed for them, I think that the return isnt going to be everything the lakers want. But they need to cut payroll and bring in young talent and possibly additional draft picks.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 02:51 PM)
I understand the logic, but based on the previous deals for superstars and what they landed for them, I think that the return isnt going to be everything the lakers want. But they need to cut payroll and bring in young talent and possibly additional draft picks.

With what they charge for tickets, they need stars. That's the hold-up. If they were so desperate, someof these Deng-less packages would be more than acceptable.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 02:58 PM)
The Lakers are a LONG ways away from a quick fix. I can promise you the Lakers are already sick of the Kobe saga around the team, and having their home fans boo the team superstar. As you say, it's going to stay that way until the Lakers get a lot better, which is a LONG way away. Have you seen that team? If Kobe were to hurt, and miss the season, that team would look like the 2002 Bulls.

Paxson just said there is no deal to be done. So much for all the desperation. It also sure didn't take the Celtics too long from going from a crap team to one of the better ones. They don't have to win a title in LA, they just have to be entertaining. Kobe is a pretty good start. A couple of other decent players and they would be OK.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 02:51 PM)

Kobe is more on the level of KG than he is on the level of AI.

AI went for tablescraps... we know this. He also was not playing with the team and didn't play for 10 days. Kobe is willing to go out there and play, as was KG. The haul that the T-Wolves got for KG was quite good, including a great replacement in Al Jefferson whom they just signed to a 5 year extension.

Now, that being said, the Bulls aren't offering garbage. A deal of Kirk, Tyrus, and Noah (or obviously one of the others that has been rumored sans the Ben Wallace one) are a decent haul for a team in such turmoil. However, the Lakers don't HAVE to trade Kobe, but it sure looks like they want to.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 03:09 PM)

AI went for tablescraps... we know this. He also was not playing with the team and didn't play for 10 days. Kobe is willing to go out there and play, as was KG. The haul that the T-Wolves got for KG was quite good, including a great replacement in Al Jefferson whom they just signed to a 5 year extension.

Now, that being said, the Bulls aren't offering garbage. A deal of Kirk, Tyrus, and Noah (or obviously one of the others that has been rumored sans the Ben Wallace one) are a decent haul for a team in such turmoil. However, the Lakers don't HAVE to trade Kobe, but it sure looks like they want to.

Well if they have to trade him it won't be to the Bulls as Paxson as put the speculation to rest.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 03:11 PM)
Well if they have to trade him it won't be to the Bulls as Paxson as put the speculation to rest.

Dude, did you even HEAR the interview. His comments make me no less inspired that the Bulls will get Kobe. He didn't say "we're not trading for Kobe" he said "we're kinda not doing anything at the moment."

You can read that however you want, but it was not convincing nor should it end these conversations. I guarantee they are still discussing a deal. Whether it gets done remains to be seen, but they are still talking.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 03:14 PM)
Dude, did you even HEAR the interview. His comments make me no less inspired that the Bulls will get Kobe. He didn't say "we're not trading for Kobe" he said "we're kinda not doing anything at the moment."

You can read that however you want, but it was not convincing nor should it end these conversations. I guarantee they are still discussing a deal. Whether it gets done remains to be seen, but they are still talking.

"Today sends a message that our guys don't have to worry about anything anymore,"

If he trades for Kobe tomorrow and sends the same guys packing who were rumored, or if ESPN and/or Magic say he's still discussing a deal, he will lose all his credibility with his players. He's about as straight of shooter as there is. Both on and off the court.

From the AP:

We were never on the verge of a deal,’’ Paxson said. “There was never a time limit to get something done. We never got down to the nuts and bolts because there was never a deal to be done. The reality is we were having talks with the Lakers. But there’s not a deal going to be done.’’

“A lot of the things that were mentioned were not based in any fact whatsoever, that’s the unfortunate part.’’

Paxson said he could not rule out some scenario that resurrected the negotiations.

“Who knows?’’ he said. “The reality now is it’s done. It’s only fair to the Lakers and to us and to everybody else that whatever talks we had--there are a lot of people out there searching for information and it becomes ridiculous half the time. I’m not going to separate fact from fiction because there’s so much fiction out there. It’s not fair to players. It’s not to fair to us. I don’t like seeing our guys names in the papers all the time about stuff that’s not based on fact. It’s time to put that part of it to rest and move on.’’

Dan Bernstein------who you crappin?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 03:09 PM)

I agree with you, but I wouldnt call Al Jefferson a GREAT replacement. He will be a good player, but will never be a star player. We are giving the Lakers 2 top draft picks in Thomas and Noah, and Ben Gordon who is already a prolific scorer. I would say its somewhat on par. Of course Kobe is alot younger than KG

And with Pax's word, Kobe deal is dead. Close thread.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 03:29 PM)
I agree with you, but I wouldnt call Al Jefferson a GREAT replacement. He will be a good player, but will never be a star player. We are giving the Lakers 2 top draft picks in Thomas and Noah, and Ben Gordon who is already a prolific scorer. I would say its somewhat on par. Of course Kobe is alot younger than KG

I highly disagree on Al Jefferson. He averaged 16 ppg, 11 rpg, and 1.5 bpg in his first season as a starter. I can definintely see those numbers going up to 25/15/2 this year as the sole offensive God of Minnesota. He's absolutely awesome.

And he's only 22!

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 03:31 PM)
I highly disagree on Al Jefferson. He averaged 16 ppg, 11 rpg, and 1.5 bpg in his first season as a starter. I can definintely see those numbers going up to 25/15/2 this year as the sole offensive God of Minnesota. He's absolutely awesome.

And he's only 22!

Myself and many others dont see him being a superstar. He may very well be a good player, maybe even avg 20-10, but hes no replacement for KG.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 03:49 PM)
Myself and many others dont see him being a superstar. He may very well be a good player, maybe even avg 20-10, but hes no replacement for KG.

but he is 10 years younger than KG and comes with a much lower contract. The T-Wolves were going nowhere and getting him was a huge score for a player like KG.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 03:51 PM)
but he is 10 years younger than KG and comes with a much lower contract. The T-Wolves were going nowhere and getting him was a huge score for a player like KG.

Not saying it wasnt. But I still dont think he will ever be as good as KG, who is a superstar.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 03:57 PM)
Shouldn't that be in green!? :crying

I have a lot of love for Al Jefferson, obviously... he is awesome.

I agree, he is a good player, and what a great fit he would be on the bulls. As far as big men in the east though, my love is squarely for Dwight Howard.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 04:02 PM)
I agree, he is a good player, and what a great fit he would be on the bulls. As far as big men in the east though, my love is squarely for Dwight Howard.

What's so great about a guy who looks like an action figure, blocks 7 shots in one game, and can't be stopped down low?

Dwight of course is the freaking man... he's the freaking man.

If Jefferson can average 20-10, he'll be a borderline all - star.

But we'll see how he handles being "the man" in Minny, and how he does without the tutelage of Clifford Ray (probably the best big man coach in the NBA).

I do like him a lot though. Right now you'd almost take him over the likes of Emeka Okfaor who were drafted a lot earlier in that draft.

Is he better than Deng? Very hard to say, since they'll both average similar numbers. If Jefferson can average 20/10 though, I'd probably just lean towards him, just because he's a young big, and good ones of those are just so hard to find.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 02:18 PM)
"Today sends a message that our guys don't have to worry about anything anymore,"

If he trades for Kobe tomorrow and sends the same guys packing who were rumored, or if ESPN and/or Magic say he's still discussing a deal, he will lose all his credibility with his players. He's about as straight of shooter as there is. Both on and off the court.

From the AP:

We were never on the verge of a deal,’’ Paxson said. “There was never a time limit to get something done. We never got down to the nuts and bolts because there was never a deal to be done. The reality is we were having talks with the Lakers. But there’s not a deal going to be done.’’

“A lot of the things that were mentioned were not based in any fact whatsoever, that’s the unfortunate part.’’

Paxson said he could not rule out some scenario that resurrected the negotiations.

“Who knows?’’ he said. “The reality now is it’s done. It’s only fair to the Lakers and to us and to everybody else that whatever talks we had--there are a lot of people out there searching for information and it becomes ridiculous half the time. I’m not going to separate fact from fiction because there’s so much fiction out there. It’s not fair to players. It’s not to fair to us. I don’t like seeing our guys names in the papers all the time about stuff that’s not based on fact. It’s time to put that part of it to rest and move on.’’

Dan Bernstein------who you crappin?

Just wait until Dec 15th. That's when we can add Noc's salary to a deal and make a deal happen. I'm glad they put these talks to rest and the Bulls can concentrate on playing basketball.

Gordon, Tyrus and Noc for Kobe and Turiaf.

I'm betting on that deal going down....unless the Bulls have the best record in the league at that point.