A couple of thoughts

fathom

- I'd like to give kudos to Mackowiak for playing through pain right now. It's obvious that he's in pain with almost every baseball move he has to make. However, he's out there busting his ass more than anyone.

- For all the talk of how good Uribe has looked this year, he's having a worse year statistically than last year. His average is almost below .200 now. It's really looking like we need a new 2b/SS combo next year.

- What is up with the velocity drop for Santana and Carlos Zambrano this season? Are they trying to addition for a spot with the White Sox in future seasons?

QUOTE(fathom @ May 28, 2007 -> 09:26 PM)
- I'd like to give kudos to Mackowiak for playing through pain right now. It's obvious that he's in pain with almost every baseball move he has to make. However, he's out there busting his ass more than anyone.

- For all the talk of how good Uribe has looked this year, he's having a worse year statistically than last year. His average is almost below .200 now. It's really looking like we need a new 2b/SS combo next year.

- What is up with the velocity drop for Santana and Carlos Zambrano this season? Are they trying to addition for a spot with the White Sox in future seasons?

-I'm not the biggest Mack fan, but you're right, he is giving it his all.

-I've been saying we needed a new SS for a while now. Uribe was hot for a while, but he is as streaky as they come. I'm saddened by Iguchi sucking, and he looks like he needs to be replaced as well. I'd do an Aybar for Crede trade.

-I've noticed the speed drop for a lot of pitchers this year. Santana used to hit 95-96 consistantly, now he can barely hit 90 it seems. Weird, to say the least.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 28, 2007 -> 09:26 PM)

Agreed on all counts, although in regards to the velocity, maybe it's just me but it seems like velocity is down leaguewide this year in the AL and NL, no matter who is pitching. Maybe it's the radar guns and/or lack of amphetamines?

QUOTE(fathom @ May 28, 2007 -> 08:26 PM)

I definatly agree with your assesment of our 2b and ss combo. I think its pretty weak. Uribe offesively is a joke. Hes just doesn't have good at bats period, and yeah every once in awhile he will pop one out of the park. Iguchi is done in my opinion with this team. Hes getting older, slower, less agressive at the plate and in the field, and doesn't seem to know if he wasn't to hit for power or try and shoot the ball the other way. At any rate Id take Mark Loretta over Iguchi. Ennough of the most inconsistent 2B and SS in baseball.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 28, 2007 -> 10:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agreed on all counts, although in regards to the velocity, maybe it's just me but it seems like velocity is down leaguewide this year in the AL and NL, no matter who is pitching. Maybe it's the radar guns and/or lack of amphetamines?

off the roids

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ May 28, 2007 -> 10:36 PM)
uribe will be fine, he's taking more walks than he ever has. That will pay off eventually.

agree on mack, he's gutting it out.

It's too bad he's got to gut it out right now. I appreciate the effort, but I think some time on the DL will help him and help the team. Of course that's assuming the Sox had a farm system they could rely on.

Bob

Drop in velocity has affedcted others like Jenks too. What is up with that? Maybe it's ther guns and not the pitchers? Or is that too naive of a statement?

Unfortunate as it may be Uribe isn't the only Sox hitter not up to par this year. But now that some of the hitters are rebounding the pitchers are headed South

I think if there's anything we can learn from the start of the season it is to never underestimate the importance of a bullpen. If this squad had the 2005 bullpen (playing like that pen did), we'd probably be in the division lead at the moment. It's so frustrating to see the starters give a QS or have to be left in a game because it's basically a 50/50 proposition at best to get any size lead from the 6th inning to Jenks via the bullpen.

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ May 29, 2007 -> 02:44 AM)
I thought this thread would be Fathom sharing some inside dirt with us.

Nope, the only thing I've heard in the last two weeks is how bad the talent level is in the Sox organization.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 28, 2007 -> 10:52 PM)
Nope, the only thing I've heard in the last two weeks is how bad the talent level is in the Sox organization.

Which is why a firesale would be the best thing for the club. Any pitcher except for Danks should be on the market starting yesterday. I'm including Jenks in that group, as he's one of the few players that might bring a major league quality player in return. Here's hoping Dye heats up so he can be moved. And I would love it if Erstad played out of his mind and could actually be traded at the deadline for a prospect.

The talent level really does seem to be abysmal. I was completely unimpressed by Day's stuff in today's game, and he's the best relief prospect the Sox have.

QUOTE(joeynach @ May 28, 2007 -> 10:21 PM)
I Iguchi is done in my opinion with this team. Hes getting older, slower, less agressive at the plate and in the field, and doesn't seem to know if he wasn't to hit for power or try and shoot the ball the other way.

I agree he's slowed down (not surprising given his age). But I think a lot of his hitting problems are related to his finger injury -- hand injuries seem to have a pretty big impact on hitters.

Edited by hitlesswonder

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ May 28, 2007 -> 11:10 PM)
Which is why a firesale would be the best thing for the club. Any pitcher except for Danks should be on the market starting yesterday. I'm including Jenks in that group, as he's one of the few players that might bring a major league quality player in return. Here's hoping Dye heats up so he can be moved. And I would love it if Erstad played out of his mind and could actually be traded at the deadline for a prospect.

The talent level really does seem to be abysmal. I was completely unimpressed by Day's stuff in today's game, and he's the best relief prospect the Sox have.

I agree he's slowed down (not surprising given his age). But I think a lot of his hitting problems are related to his finger injury -- hand injuries seem to have a pretty big impact on hitters.

With how hard is has been to get a decent closer on the southside, I wouldnt trade Jenks at all. He is young, and is cheap. Who would you put there in his place, Day, MacDougal.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 28, 2007 -> 11:21 PM)
With how hard is has been to get a decent closer on the southside, I wouldnt trade Jenks at all. He is young, and is cheap. Who would you put there in his place, Day, MacDougal.

I just think Jenks is an injury waiting happen. We've all seen the decline in velocity over the last 2 years. I think it would be wise to sell high. Plus, it's not like he's putting up astronomical numbers like Rivera (in his prime) or Nathan. I don't know who the Sox should replace him with. If Masset could throw the ball 96 MPH as advertised rather than 92, he would have been a good choice. I'm really disappointed in MacDougal -- his 2005 and 2006 numbers were really very good. Anyway if DET and CLE can get by with Jones and Borowski, I'd be happy if the Sox took the same route and signed a scrap heap to battle with Aardsma and MacDougal (if his arm isn't falling off) for the closer role next season.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ May 28, 2007 -> 11:30 PM)
I just think Jenks is an injury waiting happen. We've all seen the decline in velocity over the last 2 years. I think it would be wise to sell high. Plus, it's not like he's putting up astronomical numbers like Rivera (in his prime) or Nathan. I don't know who the Sox should replace him with. If Masset could throw the ball 96 MPH as advertised rather than 92, he would have been a good choice. I'm really disappointed in MacDougal -- his 2005 and 2006 numbers were really very good. Anyway if DET and CLE can get by with Jones and Borowski, I'd be happy if the Sox took the same route and signed a scrap heap to battle with Aardsma and MacDougal (if his arm isn't falling off) for the closer role next season.

We play in a bandbox. Jenks is throwing 95-96 lets not pretend he is throwing sub 90 and cant get outs. His numbers look like Cy Young compared to the crap in our pen. Trading the first stability in our pen since Foulke would be stupid at best. Joe Borowski pitching at the cell night in and night out would be like Mike Jackson pitching here.

Detroit is a huge monsterous park. You realize that you can get away with a little bit less there as a pitcher, and Jacobs isnt exactly a small park either.

So because Jenks isnt putting up numbers like one of the best closers in the history of baseball we should trade him, and put a pile of dung in his place. Thats rich.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ May 28, 2007 -> 11:30 PM)

Masset as a closer would never work. Hopefully it won't ever come to that.

QUOTE(Whitewashed in @ May 28, 2007 -> 11:49 PM)
The bats took their damn time to come around and now the bullpen besides Jenks can't get an out. It would be nice for the team to finally perform together and not just for one damn game.

This team is very very frustrating to watch.

Its what we saw last year in reverse. Last year we hit like crazy in the first half, and couldnt pitch worth a lick. Then they kind of reversed.

This year we squandered some great pitching, and its our own fault why we are 5.5 out instead of tied. We are a .500 team right now. We waited for the team to click last year and nothing happened. This team still doesnt look like it wants to click.

People are vastly under-estimating the Sox farm system. It lacks the high level prospect but its got an assload of good to mid-level prospects and has a few guys down in the lower levels with the potential to develop into top 50 prospects (in all of baseball).

It happens though because there was a point where the Sox system was vastly over-rated and now its shifted the opposite way. The one problem is a serious lack of any sort of middle infield and catching prospects. We are decent in the outfield and solid at 3rd/1st but that is about it. We also have a supreme lack of those high ceiling guys (but like I said there are finally a couple of them starting to sprout up but it is still far too early to see whether they truly turn into high ceiling guys and than at that point we'll have to wonder if they reach there ceiling).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 29, 2007 -> 12:18 AM)
People are vastly under-estimating the Sox farm system. It lacks the high level prospect but its got an assload of good to mid-level prospects and has a few guys down in the lower levels with the potential to develop into top 50 prospects (in all of baseball).

It happens though because there was a point where the Sox system was vastly over-rated and now its shifted the opposite way. The one problem is a serious lack of any sort of middle infield and catching prospects. We are decent in the outfield and solid at 3rd/1st but that is about it. We also have a supreme lack of those high ceiling guys (but like I said there are finally a couple of them starting to sprout up but it is still far too early to see whether they truly turn into high ceiling guys and than at that point we'll have to wonder if they reach there ceiling).

Hopefully those guys actually perform at the big league level.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 29, 2007 -> 05:18 AM)

From everything I've been hearing, the biggest concern is that the farm system lacks guys who can come up and start either position wise or in the rotation. We have way too many AAAA guys. With the low ceiling players we've been grooming lately, that's going to get you a team with a lot of reserve infielders and back-up outfielders.