Going to Boston in July...

tonyho7476

This trip should be a ton of fun. The tickets are purchased...now, where to stay? I want to stay at the Sox hotel. Anyone know where they stay in Baaahhh-stin? Maybe I can find Buerhle in the bar and get him to sign my ticket stub from the no-hitter.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ May 29, 2007 -> 09:15 AM)
This trip should be a ton of fun. The tickets are purchased...now, where to stay? I want to stay at the Sox hotel. Anyone know where they stay in Baaahhh-stin? Maybe I can find Buerhle in the bar and get him to sign my ticket stub from the no-hitter.

They either stay at the Marriott or Westin in the Back Bay which is an easy walk to Fenway. Get the room on priceline.com. Bid on the Back Bay. Look at biddingfortravel.com to get an idea what to bid. You may get the Westin or Marriott. When I went I got the Sheraton which was really nice. You have access to the other hotels without going outside.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 29, 2007 -> 10:03 AM)
They either stay at the Marriott or Westin in the Back Bay which is an easy walk to Fenway. Get the room on priceline.com. Bid on the Back Bay. Look at biddingfortravel.com to get an idea what to bid. You may get the Westin or Marriott. When I went I got the Sheraton which was really nice. You have access to the other hotels without going outside.

Sounds like you are saying I'd have to call the traveling secretary to find out which of the two hotels. Thanks for the feedback.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ May 29, 2007 -> 10:44 AM)
Sounds like you are saying I'd have to call the traveling secretary to find out which of the two hotels. Thanks for the feedback.

When I went in 2003 they stayed at the Marriott. Then I saw in the media guide they started staying at the Westin. They are literally right next to each other. You can go to either one without stepping outside. I would stay where you can get the best deal.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ May 29, 2007 -> 07:15 AM)

I've been to several games there. My experience was terrific every time -- enjoy!

QUOTE(Steff @ May 29, 2007 -> 01:26 PM)
They stay at the Westin which is approx $300 a night and a rip. Stay at the Marriot. The park is also a rip. Don't expect much. It's Wrigley east.

You'll love Boston. I was there a couple of times and it in no way, is "Wrigley East." It's 100X the park Wrigley is. I recommend taking the tour of the stadium and checking out Yawkey Way before the game starts. Fenway is expensive, but still one of the best places to catch a game, in my opinion. Have fun.

QUOTE(BaseballNick @ May 29, 2007 -> 02:45 PM)
You'll love Boston. I was there a couple of times and it in no way, is "Wrigley East." It's 100X the park Wrigley is. I recommend taking the tour of the stadium and checking out Yawkey Way before the game starts. Fenway is expensive, but still one of the best places to catch a game, in my opinion. Have fun.

Sigh....

I see it's still not allowed to have a differing opinion around here.

Tony, knowing you personally, I think the part you'll love the best is the mice in the 4 star resturants. ;) Top notch health codes out there.

When I went in 2004, I had a blast. Its a great city, interesting ballpark, and the fans aren't as annoying there as some of the Red Sawx fans here (if that makes any sense).

I met a ton of the players in Champions, which is the sports bar inside of that Mariott Copley Place. On Friday night, which seemed to be the best night to go, I got to talk to a bunch of them(Rowand for more than 2 hours alone). What struck me as cool too, was that the bar was filled with some Sox fans and a lot of locals. None of the locals had any clue at the time who some of them were out of their uniforms.

You are going to have a good time. My buddies and I had talked about making our Sox weekend there again this year, but decided against it to go to Detroit instead.

Enjoy! And be sure to hit up a Legal Seafood while you are out there. If you haven't before, you won't regret it!

QUOTE(Steff @ May 29, 2007 -> 02:48 PM)
Sigh....

Tony, knowing you personally, I think the part you'll love the best is the mice in the 4 star resturants. ;) Top notch health codes out there.

I had a mouse in my hotel in Cambridge out there, and when I called up the front desk they told me they knew about the rodent, but couldnt move my room. Fenway is Wrigley east. The only thing better about it is that Roger Bossard redid the field, so it wont flood like Wrigley. In fact the redsox fans were eerily similar to their cub breather en.

Sigh....

Sure, you're allowed to share your opinion, Steff...but Fenway and Wrigley are two entirely different baseball atmospheres. I'd say the fact that they're both old ballparks is about where the comparison ends. When I was in Boston, it was obvious the fans had a knowledge and passion for the Red Sox far more than anything you'd ever find at Wrigley for the Cubs. Maybe you were there for a poor game or something, but I thought the place was amazing.

Don't be offended if I don't agree with you; that's what SoxTalk is all about.

If going to Boston and being around the Boston fans is anything like being around the Boston fans who come to the Cell, I'd sure as hell never want to go. In fact, the Red Sox fans who come to our games are worse than any other fan base I've been around at the Cell. And I've been around Twins, Indians, Cubs and Yankee fans. The Red Sox fans are BY FAR the worst.

man you are pretty lucky to be going to fenway PAWK. i wanted to go there this year, whether if it was vs the sox or the royals, i didnt care. everyone says their tickets are gone in a snap, yet for the last week of the season, there are pretty good seats still available. u should have fun seeing the sox there. im seeing them in pittsburgh for all 3 and in kansas city june 29-july 1 all 3. are u driving? where are your seats at?

Edited by briguy27

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 29, 2007 -> 03:34 PM)
If going to Boston and being around the Boston fans is anything like being around the Boston fans who come to the Cell, I'd sure as hell never want to go. In fact, the Red Sox fans who come to our games are worse than any other fan base I've been around at the Cell. And I've been around Twins, Indians, Cubs and Yankee fans. The Red Sox fans are BY FAR the worst.

That's kind of what I was saying. I have been out there a couple of times (only once vs. the Sox) and I haven't had that issue at all. I rather enjoyed talking baseball with them. Hell, during the Sox game, I had one guy that I had been talking smack about Wakefield to buy me a beer after Rowand hit his second jack of the game off of him.

The Red Sox fans at the Cell are beyond f***ing obnoxious. They are Cub fans with additional reason to act like jackasses. I am with you on that, aboz, they are annoying as s***...

QUOTE(BaseballNick @ May 29, 2007 -> 03:26 PM)
Sure, you're allowed to share your opinion, Steff...but Fenway and Wrigley are two entirely different baseball atmospheres. I'd say the fact that they're both old ballparks is about where the comparison ends. When I was in Boston, it was obvious the fans had a knowledge and passion for the Red Sox far more than anything you'd ever find at Wrigley for the Cubs. Maybe you were there for a poor game or something, but I thought the place was amazing.

Don't be offended if I don't agree with you; that's what SoxTalk is all about.

IMO, no they aren't, which is why I made the comparison, and found it nostalgic that I got a "oh no.. bla, bla, bla, yadda, yadda, yadda..."

Your opinion doesn't register on my radar and I am in no way offended.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 29, 2007 -> 03:34 PM)

It's exactly the same, in my opinion. ;)

I grew up in Upstate NY, and lived there until just this year. I was about a 3-4 hour drive from both Boston and NYC. I personally love Boston, and Fenway. The fans are great, the city is great. My boss bought a bunch of people at work Monster seats the first year they were open, against the Yankees. One of the best games I've ever been to in my life.

Sigh....

The important thing is that the mice are 4 star.

ok, sounds like its going to be the Marriott. Thanks for the feedback guys.

I was not impressed and actually kinda bored by Boston, but I really enjoyed Fenway.

Fenway is in MUCH better shape than Wrigley, but the bar scene and atmosphere around Wrigley is a MILLION times better...if you're looking for that. IIRC 'Fenwayville' consists of like three bars.

The fans that sat around me were friendly and very interested in Chicago. I don't really see the Red Sox as a huge rival, so maybe that's why I'm not bothered by their fan base.

QUOTE(BaseballNick @ May 29, 2007 -> 12:45 PM)

My opinion of Fenway is the opposite of yours and more in line with what Steff was saying. In fact, if in the middle of the night someone blew up the dump I'd say all the better cause it is an absolute POS and this is coming from someone that doesn't mind Wrigley and absolutely loved Old Tiger Stadium.

I can't comment much on the city as the only part I really saw was when we came in to see the Red Sox game and than rolled out as part of a stadium roadtrip.