Fun Topic : worst deals in Sox history

whitesox94

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ May 29, 2007 -> 05:21 PM)
Todd Ritchie deal, although just about everyone involved was crap. And one I always hated was Durham for Adkins.

The sadder thing about that deal was the Sox picked up all but the minimum pro-rated requirement the A's had to pay in that deal. Totally useless.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ May 29, 2007 -> 05:31 PM)
Steve Sax, Jaime Navarro, Royce Clayton (just for the money we paid him and the how much of a cancer he was.)

Navarro seems obvious, but Schueler found a team that actually gave the Sox valuable parts to a division winner for him in Milwaukee. Valentin and Eldred.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 29, 2007 -> 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Navarro seems obvious, but Schueler found a team that actually gave the Sox valuable parts to a division winner for him in Milwaukee. Valentin and Eldred.

True, but how would 1997 Sox do if they had a Roger Clemens or even average league pitcher in Jaime's spot? The embarrasing White Flag Trade wouldn't have happened.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ May 29, 2007 -> 05:43 PM)
True, but how would 1997 Sox do if they had a Roger Clemens or even average league pitcher in Jaime's spot? The embarrasing White Flag Trade wouldn't have happened.

That's true too. With Clemens in the fold White Sox history would have a different look. But if you looked at the 4 previous seasons of Clemens' career and looked at Navarro's numbers with the Cubs, you could see why they would have shied away from the Rocket. Maybe that's when he started taking his vitamins.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ May 29, 2007 -> 03:15 PM)
I know I'll probably take a lot of flack for this, but Sammy Sosa to the Cubs for George Bell. Bell sucked, while Sosa... well, you all know the story.

I understand what you're saying on paper...but I will add...at least we kept our souls.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 29, 2007 -> 04:28 PM)
Javy Vazquez for Chris Young

:lolhitting

I knew someone who pick that one. Amazing. A trade that has worked out fabulously for us, and its somehow one of the worst ever.

In five years, sure, we may look back and wish we had Young. MAYBE. Or maybe not. Either way, we got an above average SP for a big question mark, so its kind of ridiculous to even mention it as one of the worst trades ever.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 29, 2007 -> 04:28 PM)
That signing went far beyond Pods, and had such a dramatic impact on this 2007 team.

I do agree with you here, though. The signing itself wasn't the big negative - its the fact that the signing meant we were passing up on other opportunities. ANY other opportunities.

Todd Ritchie and Kip Wells for Todd Ritchie... It still pisses me off to this day. I remember when Fogg got his shot in September with us. He stuck out like the first 4 batters he faced.

Now, neither Fogg or Wells turned out to be anything special, but they were/are both quality guys for the end of the rotation, and had more potential then a useless Ritchie anyway. Fogg and Wells could have come in real handy in the 2002-2004 era for us.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ May 29, 2007 -> 06:00 PM)

I knew someone who pick that one. Amazing. A trade that has worked out fabulously for us, and its somehow one of the worst ever.

In five years, sure, we may look back and wish we had Young. MAYBE. Or maybe not. Either way, we got an above average SP for a big question mark, so its kind of ridiculous to even mention it as one of the worst trades ever.

I do agree with you here, though. The signing itself wasn't the big negative - its the fact that the signing meant we were passing up on other opportunities. ANY other opportunities.

Wouldn't an above average pitcher have an above average record and ERA on a team that has won more games than it has lost? How has it worked out fabulously for the Sox? Vazquez's mediocrity has helped the Sox finish 3rd last season and they are 3rd this. Signing him to a lucrative extension probably will mean the end for guys with better track records like Buerhle. That and the Sox could really use a right handed hitting CF.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ May 29, 2007 -> 11:00 PM)

How's it worked out fabulously? Vazquez sucked for the Sox last year, is making a ton of money, and the guy we traded Young for in order to make room (Anderson), is already back in the minors. Chris Young is going to be a damn good player in this league, and is definitely worth more than Mr. 102-108.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ May 29, 2007 -> 06:00 PM)

Yeah, I agree. This is one of those trades you can't really judge for at least 5 years.

Another questionable one was Foulke for Cotts and Koch trade. There were some other minor prospects who sucked in that deal also.