We need some young blood...

BearSox

More than youth they need talent. It'd obviously be a bonus if they were young, but if anyone aside from three players could consistently hit; or two bullpen arms consistently throw strikes; we'd be better off.

At this point, with this team, I don't believe we're going to be buyers come July. We may not be sellers either, depending upon our position and Williams' willingness to trade off several players. However, if we are sellers, then it'd be an obvious opportunity to search for the "young blood" you speak of.

There just isn't many pieces available in the minor league system that you can expect an immediate improvement over what we have. Fields and/or Sweeney may provide additional offense, but not enough to overcome our problems.

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ May 30, 2007 -> 01:47 AM)
Right now... I offer the Mets any starter they want (out of Buehrle, Count, and Javy V) for their young OF Carlos Gomez. Unfortunately the Mets aren't looking for pitching as hard as they once were.

Gomez ain't going anywhere. He's about as untouchable as they come.

Lastings Milledge is a different story. I don't care if he isn't great character-wise, we need some f***ing talent infused into this organization.

QUOTE(BearSox @ May 29, 2007 -> 08:32 PM)
This team needs some young blood. Right now, they look like a bunch of lifeless bums. We need some youth.

I guess you can say this is the new "If I were GM, I'd do this..." thread.

Who could you possibly be referring to?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 30, 2007 -> 01:50 AM)
Gomez ain't going anywhere. He's about as untouchable as they come.

Lastings Milledge is a different story. I don't care if he isn't great character-wise, we need some f***ing talent infused into this organization.

I'd definitely like it if they tried to get Milledge while his stock was at its lowest. I don't even want them to make trades for this year....I'd rather they try to find guys that can be on the big league roster for the next 2 years or so.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 29, 2007 -> 08:50 PM)

How much have the Mets soured on Pelfrey? Perhaps this would be an ideal situation to buy-low with him, in addition to Milledge. If Buehrle pitches well through the deadline perhaps he could be packaged with Milledge and, at the least, Deolis Guerra.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 29, 2007 -> 09:05 PM)
I'd definitely like it if they tried to get Milledge while his stock was at its lowest. I don't even want them to make trades for this year....I'd rather they try to find guys that can be on the big league roster for the next 2 years or so.

Speaking of buying low, last year on this other board I was on, I was hoping Kenny would make a deal for Oliver Perez... oh well. I guess that is why he is GM

QUOTE(BearSox @ May 29, 2007 -> 09:14 PM)
Speaking of buying low, last year on this other board I was on, I was hoping Kenny would make a deal for Oliver Perez... oh well. I guess that is why he is GM

Thats the type of deal we need.

The Pirates got Perez and Jason Bay from the Padres for Brian Giles.

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ May 29, 2007 -> 09:21 PM)
Thats the type of deal we need.

The Pirates got Perez and Jason Bay from the Padres for Brian Giles.

That'd be nice to able to get anything close to that for Dye... but I doubt it.

I'm getting sick of watching A.j. dog it down the line and such. I know he catches and all, but right now he looks like he couldn't care less about winning.

I think we need to get a good young MLB catching prospect here pronto.

Plus, my grandmother has about a good of an arm as he does.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ May 29, 2007 -> 09:54 PM)
what would the Yankees give up for Dye?

Abreu's hitting .233 with 2HR's.

I think the Yankees will go into a sell mode to try and unload a lot of their contracts.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ May 29, 2007 -> 09:54 PM)
what would the Yankees give up for Dye?

Abreu's hitting .233 with 2HR's.

I think all would love Philip Hughes but I doubt if that's going to happen. I would love Jose Tabata and Dellin Betances though. Maybe Tyler Clippard and others. Melky pwns. I'll tell you this. I would love KW dealing with the Yankees again.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ May 29, 2007 -> 10:02 PM)
I think all would love Philip Hughes but I doubt if that's going to happen. I would love Jose Tabata and Dellin Betances though. Maybe Tyler Clippard and others. Melky pwns. I'll tell you this. I would love KW dealing with the Yankees again.

Well, Cashman knows he's done if he doesn't win this year, so he might do something very desperate, but the biggest move might be dealing Cabrera and some second-tier pitching prospects to get a Dye or Buehrle.

Not even sure why he'd need Dye with Abreu out there, and nobody willing to take his contract. Maybe they will put Dye at 1B like the White Sox thought about?

I can't imagine him moving Tabata or Hughes under any situation...I think Steinbrenner will forbid those moves.

QUOTE(BearSox @ May 29, 2007 -> 09:56 PM)
I'm getting sick of watching A.j. dog it down the line and such. I know he catches and all, but right now he looks like he couldn't care less about winning.

AJ's fine. Really, he is. Danks doesn't seem to allow many stolen bases, Buehrle never allows steals, Contreras always does, and the other two are slightly in the middle of the pack (just guessingwith the last two and Danks too I suppose). His bat and attitude are huge for this team, and to suggest he couldn't care less about winning is about as far off as it gets. The problem is if he were to show too much emotion he'd have s*** thrown at him all day long.

I think the Yankees will go into a sell mode to try and unload a lot of their contracts.

I imagine there's about a 1% chance of that happening. They're like 8.5 games out in the Wild Card, and that's easily achievable for a team with that much talent. If they get healthy, they'll still win 90-95 game and be in contention.

Every other team in baseball can fleece the Pirates but not us.

No matter what Jim Hendry does, he'll always be a hero for getting Aramis Ramirez and Kenny Lofton for nothing .

Couldn't we get Jason Bay ? Ofcourse if the Sox got him he'd probably become slower and worse defensively. It just seems to happen that way.

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ May 30, 2007 -> 03:10 PM)
Every other team in baseball can fleece the Pirates but not us.

No matter what Jim Hendry does, he'll always be a hero for getting Aramis Ramirez and Kenny Lofton for nothing .

Couldn't we get Jason Bay ? Ofcourse if the Sox got him he'd probably become slower and worse defensively. It just seems to happen that way.

KW's 2005 contained a lot of players with banner years. That year he found a Uribe who cold really field his position. A few character player like Pods, Dye and Blum who performed outside of their normal sphere. However; he chose to base future teams on an aging base. Of course we did get rid of El Duque brought in Vasquez.. Lost Garcia in favor of a project in Floyd and Gio.. Trade McCarthy for an already adequate 5th starter in Danks.. Traded Cotts who had lost all his effectiveness for Aardsma who now seems to be tailspinning. None of relievers seem to be able to get a third out... But for a fire sale our pieces to trade have to have some value.. We have Crede with the suspect back hitting .232.. Dye our world series mvp hitting .239 with a small impediment about moving laterally in the outfield. Uribe looked great at the beginning of the season as if he was going to be our new #2 hitter but has since went back to his swing wildly in desperation swing for the fences mode. Mackoviak wants to be a homerun hitter too but too often swings creating giant swirls of air that can be felt in the upper deck while missing the ball completely.. Iguchi is self explanatory his 2 for 27 is as close as we have to an automatic out.. Oh I forgot our power hitters come up and Razor shines goes through the signs . I haven't caught the exact sign but Paulie, Thome, Aj and others get the ground into a double play sign!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They never have to move the runners along..........

This is why I throw out David Weathers as a guy who would fit here and would also fit well (he's walked half as many batters as Aardsma): he likely could be available. In terms of speed, who will be? Ichiro Suzuki? Carl Crawford? Do we even want to trade with Tampa Bay?

Winning can be done without speed. I was having this conversation earlier, but Erstad is fast enough to not be completely screwed in the case of a failed hit-and-run. So call a few more of those. Or if he gets on to start the game, have Iguchi bunt him over.

Here's a stat I found semi-interesting: Iguchi had 11 sacrifice hits in 2005, 8 in 2006...and 0 thus far in 2007. As a team, we had 11 sacrifice hits to this point last season. Right now: 12, actually, but 3 by pitchers. To this point in 2005: 19.

Edited by AirScott

QUOTE(AirScott @ May 31, 2007 -> 07:18 AM)
This is why I throw out David Weathers as a guy who would fit here and would also fit well (he's walked half as many batters as Aardsma): he likely could be available. In terms of speed, who will be? Ichiro Suzuki? Carl Crawford? Do we even want to trade with Tampa Bay?

Winning can be done without speed. I was having this conversation earlier, but Erstad is fast enough to not be completely screwed in the case of a failed hit-and-run. So call a few more of those. Or if he gets on to start the game, have Iguchi bunt him over.

Here's a stat I found semi-interesting: Iguchi had 11 sacrifice hits in 2005, 8 in 2006...and 0 thus far in 2007. As a team, we had 11 sacrifice hits to this point last season. Right now: 12, actually, but 3 by pitchers. To this point in 2005: 19.

When the "fundamentally sound" Japanese players are having trouble bunting, that's when you know there is an issue.

Iguchi is pretty much history with the White Sox, he will go the way of Ray Durham.

QUOTE(BearSox @ May 29, 2007 -> 09:56 PM)

do you know how RARE it is to find good catching prospects? do you also know how RARE it is that we have as good a catcher as AJ? He's one guy who i really don't want to move.

remember - Miguel Olivo is a starting catcher right now in the bigs... would you rather have him?

Moves I would like to see IF we go into sell mode:

Contreras to the Braves for Salty and Elvis Andrus

Buerhle to the Mets for Fernando Martinez or Lastings Milledge and Phillip Humber or Deolis Guerra

Dye to the Dbacks for Carlos Gonzales, Alberto Callaspo, and Tony Pena

Garland to the Dodgers for Preston Mattingly and James Loney.

Crede to the Phillies for Michael Bourn and CJ Henry

I think that all these trades make sense on a need basis for all teams, however I can never really gauge our players true value in the marketplace. But as teams become more desparate to stay in contention the return would work more in our favor. We may have to add some minor league pieces in to balance these deals out, but at the same time we would be restocking the system. And while some of these players are two to three years away from contributing, we would have some freed salary to fill holes until they are ready. Our pitching staff would be an adventure the rest of the season though with Vazquez, Danks, Floyd, Broadway, Masset or Sisco. But we would be in a position in the offseason to being some veterans in to fill out the staff and any needs on the roster.

QUOTE(Reddy @ May 31, 2007 -> 09:29 AM)
do you know how RARE it is to find good catching prospects? do you also know how RARE it is that we have as good a catcher as AJ? He's one guy who i really don't want to move.

remember - Miguel Olivo is a starting catcher right now in the bigs... would you rather have him?

I'm sure there a few who would vote yes, because everyone fell in love with Olivo's arm, his speed...AJ is the opposite, can't throw much of anyone out and he can't run a lick, he's getting into his early 30's and he can get on everyone's nerves.

.231/.254 (lack of walks simply kills his OBP, like Uribe and Crede)

.363 SLG and .627 OPS aren't so hot, but last year he was well over 700 and put up an 828 with SD.

And he's 28 (almost 29)...

I would still rather have AJ, but if you were realistically trying to build for a 3-5 year period, you would have to take Olivo.

QUOTE(IowaSoxFan @ May 31, 2007 -> 09:56 AM)

Buerhle to the Mets for Fernando Martinez or Lastings Milledge and Phillip Humber or Deolis Guerra

I think that all these trades make sense on a need basis for all teams, however I can never really gauge our players true value in the marketplace. But as teams become more desparate to stay in contention the return would work more in our favor. We may have to add some minor league pieces in to balance these deals out, but at the same time we would be restocking the system. And while some of these players are two to three years away from contributing, we would have some freed salary to fill holes until they are ready. Our pitching staff would be an adventure the rest of the season though with Vazquez, Danks, Floyd, Broadway, Masset or Sisco. But we would be in a position in the offseason to being some veterans in to fill out the staff and any needs on the roster.

If you really want to compete next year, you have to stick with AT LEAST three veterans, Danks and then a mystery candidate (Russell, Gio, Broadway, De Los Santos, Floyd).

However, if you can't keep Garland or Buehrle, you might as well blow the entire rotation up, because Contreras and Vazquez will be too far past their primes in 09 and 10 to be of much use.

QUOTE(IowaSoxFan @ May 31, 2007 -> 09:56 AM)

Just my opinion, but I think you'll be very disappointed in the return the Sox get when the sell off this season. Contreras won't fetch Andrus alone, let alone Salty to boot. Jose is old and that contract would be an albatross for Atlanta. Dye migth fetch a single C level prospect (think of the Ray Durham trade). Garland and Buehrle I think could get the same return the Sox got for Garcia -- a B level pitching prospect. Crede's back, performance and cost make him untradeable for anything valuable.

The problem with a poorly performing team is that you can't get much for players playing badly.