A Few Thoughts

Gregory Pratt

A) This team isn't fun to watch anymore. If not for Danks and Buehrle, I don't think I'd ever watch for entertainment. I watch every game, still, because I love the Chicago White Sox and it's baseball, but it's not fun anymore.

B) Why doesn't anybody hustle aside from Mackowiak, Ozuna, Thome and Erstad? Do the other guys think, "I'm so good I don't have to run hard"? Because they're not. Run it out when it's in play, don't f***ing job or shrug. Who the f*** do some of these guys think they are? Manny Ramirez? Well Manny and Aramis Ramirez can shrug because they are absolute monsters at the plate (but even with them it's obnoxious). We don't have anyone really on that level except for Thome and he runs hard.

C) I'm happy that the team's marketing is so good. I love our commercials, ads, billboards, etc. etc. They're good. I really think we're going to need that to keep good attendance in the coming years because the product on the field sure isn't going to attract people long-term.

D) This team is too slow to win anything.

E) I'm emulating my new idol.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 29, 2007 -> 09:44 PM)
C) I'm happy that the team's marketing is so good. I love our commercials, ads, billboards, etc. etc. They're good. I really think we're going to need that to keep good attendance in the coming years because the product on the field sure isn't going to attract people long-term.

I love it when you generalize, wimpy, especially over several years in a way that makes no sense

the 2008 and 2009 white sox will not necessarily look anything like this team whatsoever.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 29, 2007 -> 10:44 PM)

It's a damn shame that our scouting department is damn near the opposite. Holy s*** I'm sounding like Flash. :o

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ May 29, 2007 -> 10:48 PM)
I love it when you generalize, wimpy, especially over several years in a way that makes no sense

the 2008 and 2009 white sox will not necessarily look anything like this team whatsoever.

Did you just call me wimpy? Ha!

I don't have faith that the 2008 and 2009 White Sox will be any good. It's looking like we'll be a fourth place team. Fifth if the Royals prospects pan out, and they've got some fantastic ones.

Our minor league system is garbage. I don't think we have the will to win too many bidding wars and we'd have to to build a good team, what with our system.

There's lots to dislike about this organization's future. Too much to dislike about it.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 29, 2007 -> 10:01 PM)

I don't have faith that the 2008 and 2009 White Sox will be any good. It's looking like we'll be a fourth place team. Fifth if the Royals prospects pan out, and they've got some fantastic ones.

Our minor league system is garbage. I don't think we have the will to win too many bidding wars and we'd have to to build a good team, what with our system.

There's lots to dislike about this organization's future. Too much to dislike about it.

I was borrowing a hawkism from the 90s, when tom paciorek was his partner...

also, we could fire sale a lot of this team if the organization wakes up and smells the mocha java

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 29, 2007 -> 11:01 PM)

I don't think there's anyway to argue with this post. The Sox system doesn't look like it's even capable of producing competent backup players let alone major starters. It has to be the worst system in baseball. Even if drafting somehow measurably improves this year, that's a 4 or 5 year wait for that draft to have an impact. And the Sox are not going to win bidding wars for free agents -- the payroll will drop with attendance if the Sox stay true to history. An unbiased observer would have to pick the Royals next 5 years as more promising than the Sox -- the Royals have players like Gordon, Butler, Teahen, DeJesus and possibly a great GM (signing Meche looks great and Moore has won both his trades with Williams so far). I know that lots of people will disagree, and that's fine, I'd love to be convinced that I'm wrong.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ May 30, 2007 -> 04:40 AM)
signing Meche looks great and Moore has won both his trades with Williams so far

He has?

I'm fairly confident MacDougal will bounce back. If he had a noticeable decline in stuff I'd be more worried. Has he lost stuff? From my watching I don't think so -- he's still in the mid-90s with his fastball and his slider is still there. He's just wild as s*** right now, which is a problem, but I'll give it another couple weeks before I become really worried.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 29, 2007 -> 11:50 PM)
He has?

I'm fairly confident MacDougal will bounce back. If he had a noticeable decline in stuff I'd be more worried. Has he lost stuff? From my watching I don't think so -- he's still in the mid-90s with his fastball and his slider is still there. He's just wild as s*** right now, which is a problem, but I'll give it another couple weeks before I become really worried.

I know Lumsden and Cortes haven't performed, but at this juncture the Sox are paying MacDougal millions to pitch like Dewon Day. The fact that the Royals aren't paying MacDougal makes the trade a win for them.

I thought MacDougal was going to be a strength of the club going into this season. His 2005 & 2006 numbers were really good & the idea of getting a "closer quality" setup man is great. These days, starters get you into the 7th so you need both a decent closer and setup man. Plus Mac seemed like good insurance in case Jenks arm fell off. So far, I've been very wrong. Since I don't know why Mac has pitched so poorly, I really have no idea how likely it is that he'll pull out of it. He is 30 with high impact delivery. It's possible that he is injured even though his velocity isn't down.

Edited by hitlesswonder

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ May 29, 2007 -> 11:58 PM)
I know Lumsden and Cortes haven't performed, but at this juncture the Sox are paying MacDougal millions to pitch like Dewon Day. The fact that the Royals aren't paying MacDougal makes the trade a win for them.

I thought MacDougal was going to be a strength of the club going into this season. His 2005 & 2006 numbers were really good & the idea of getting a "closer quality" setup man is great. These days, starters get you into the 7th so you need both a decent closer and setup man. Plus Mac seemed like good insurance in case Jenks arm fell off. So far, I've been very wrong. Since I don't know why Mac has pitched so poorly, I really have no idea how likely it is that he'll pull out of it. He is 30 with high impact delivery. It's possible that he is injured even though his velocity isn't down.

OTOH, Moore looks pretty silly to have kept Emil Brown on the roster for $3.5 million, as well as Reggie Sanders and trading for Gathright. Elarton has been a bust so far, and Hudson a non-factor due to injuries. Greinke MIGHT be coming into his own as a reliever, although he's yet to put two really solid months together as a starter.

The jury's still out on Ryan Shealy, but I don't think he will ever be much of a frontline starter at 1B in the AL. Pena Jr. MIGHT be better than Berroa, but not by much...although I guess you have to blame Baird for another long-term deal for Angel, who has spent most of his time ensconced in Omaha.

Jason LaRue has looked very bad...in fact, incumbent starter John Buck might be the only Royal worthy of All-Star consideration, along with Meche, despite his recent disaster.

At any rate, Gordon, Teahen, DeJesus, Butler, Hochevar, Costa, etc., are the future of the Royals. I don't think I'd make them a favorite over the White Sox for 08 and 09 until their starting pitching looks to be in better shape. Jorge De La Rosa is as far from a solid #2 starter as you can get in the big leagues.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ May 30, 2007 -> 01:54 AM)
At any rate, Gordon, Teahen, DeJesus, Butler, Hochevar, Costa, etc., are the future of the Royals. I don't think I'd make them a favorite over the White Sox for 08 and 09 until their starting pitching looks to be in better shape. Jorge De La Rosa is as far from a solid #2 starter as you can get in the big leagues.

Add in Rick Porcello to the mix of potential starters. From all indications, he'll be the Royals first selection in the upcoming draft; and a good one at that.