Zaleski 5 IP, 2 R (1 ER)

Joseph Torres (who?) 4 IP, 0 R, 9 K, 0 BB, 0 hits

West Virginia 9, Kanny 8

Shelby 2-4, 3B, RBI, 2 R, BB

Carter 0-2, 3 BB, K

Hernandez 0-3, BB, K

Edwards 4.2 IP, 4 R (3 ER)

We were just discussing this at SSS

Torres is a former first rounder of the Angels.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/T/Joe-Torres.shtml

Had TJ(?) surgery in '04 -- Jason will probably know. Wicked control problems but used to have dynamite stuff.

I have no clue what he throws, but I think it's reasonable to believe that he and JR Perdew (Don't let this guy get out of the farm system) have found something together.

He's allowed only 4 hits in his last 14 IP while striking out 20 and walking 1. That's a year after he waked over 16 batters per 9.

Old for his league, but obviously has the pedigree of a major league pitcher, he just could never find the zone. I'm not getting my hopes up, but he's definitely somebody to keep an eye on.

Also, Josh Hamilton, on rehab assignment for the Reds, has 3 HR in 2 games. Such an amazing story.

Torres signed the largest contract the Angels have ever given to a high schooler after getting drafted 10th overall in the 2000 draft and really had a fantastic arm. The Angels were enamored with him and tried to be careful as hell but he randomly lost velocity and really struggled (you could really really compare this guy to Kris Honel as they have similar stories) and he finally under-went tommy john in 2004 (missed the entire season).

Prior to 04 he had battled numerous arm injuries as well as in 2003 he missed most of the season after having some ligament damage to his elbow (they opted for rest and eventually the tommy john was needed).

In 2001, Torres was the Angels #1 prospect according to BA.

From what I remember, when he was actually considered a good prospect he threw in the 91-94 MPH range with very good sink (but that velocity dipped into the upper 80's after his debut with the Angels) although I remember reading where doctors said there was a good chance that after the surgery he would regain his velocity.

However, it should be noted in 05 and 06 he has had horrendous control, but last year he had good k numbers and didn't give up that many hits. Could be a sleeper if Perdew has gotten his delivery straightened out (and Cheat is dead on with Perdew...every pitching prospect I have interviewed recently has flat out raved about this guy).

By the way, good find on that Cheat. I didn't even realize the Sox had Torres.

That's good news on Torres. Let's hope we may have struck lighting in a bottle here, and found another SP prospect.

Our SP depth is really the best it has been for a long, long time, probably the best since I've really followed the Sox and their system over the past 4-5 years.

Probably a major reason why we should concentrate on getting a lot of quality position prospects into the system, especially through the infield in the upcoming draft, considering the age of our lineup, and their respective contract statuses.

And Gio keeps on being Gio. :)

Has Gio added a sinker or cutter to his repetioure? After a 9-2 GO/FO performance last night, Gio's GO/FO ratio is now up to 1.37 which is well above his career high which, IIRC, is around 1.00. Didn't Heads or somebody put in interview questions for Gio? It'll be interesting to see if he talks about adding a pitch to get the ball on the ground more.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 31, 2007 -> 03:16 PM)
Has Gio added a sinker or cutter to his repetioure? After a 9-2 GO/FO performance last night, Gio's GO/FO ratio is now up to 1.37 which is well above his career high which, IIRC, is around 1.00. Didn't Heads or somebody put in interview questions for Gio? It'll be interesting to see if he talks about adding a pitch to get the ball on the ground more.

From reading that interview, he has worked on a new better changeup. Possibly this new changeup could be dropping in the zone a lot....

Also, what was up with this...

The only thing that's different, really is the White Sox have to wear their pants down and the Phillies have to put their pants up.

They make rules on where you have to wear your pants now?