100 Scariest Movie Scenes

Brian

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 31, 2007 -> 12:26 PM)
Usually those list get about half right, this one is pretty damn good.

Eh, old movies really arent scary..

They are to older people who saw them when they were young.. but I find it hard to be scared just because of how old it is..

Eh, I find the opposite to be the case as I see it. New "scary" movies are incredibly boring. To me a bunch of gruesome killings doesn't make a movie scary, it makes a movie a snoozefest. Plus usually those types of movies have plotlines you could drive a tank through, which distracts me from anything that might be considered remotely scary anyway... Not to mention that there hasn't be a new "scary" movie made in years, as they are all just remakes or rip-offs of something else.

I think kids these days have been exposed to so much that of course old movies don't seem so scary. The original Frankenstein scared the s$#! out of people when it came out. So did King Kong. In the 50's when I watched those old Universal horror films on Shock Theater they terrified me. But I loved 'em. Those flying monkeys in The Wizard of Oz totally creeped me out too. I saw Psycho at the Lido Theater in Maywood on a Saturday afternoon when I was 9 years old. My friend and I had no idea what the movie was, we just went because thats what we did. We're we in for a surprise! Norman "f***ing" Bates.

#60 cracks me up. I jumped out of my seat the first time I saw it, that's for sure.

Also, one that I couldn't find on there was the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark when the faces melted off the Nazis after they opened the Ark. Scared the crap out of me.

Eh, movies stop being scary once you're about 14.

Now I just appreciate a lot of those classics for being great movies overall. Most of the new ones definitely are crap.

Random, but I tried watching those august underground movies but couldn't...not because of how sick, disgusting and disturbing they are, but because of how incredibly not interesting a movie with zero plot and no point is.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ May 31, 2007 -> 01:02 PM)
Eh, movies stop being scary once you're about 14.

Now I just appreciate a lot of those classics for being great movies overall. Most of the new ones definitely are crap.

Random, but I tried watching those august underground movies but couldn't...not because of how sick, disgusting and disturbing they are, but because of how incredibly not interesting a movie with zero plot and no point is.

The Ring scarred the crap out of me, as well as The Grudge.. those are the only movies I have seen in recent years that have actually had me scarred

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 31, 2007 -> 01:46 PM)
The Grudge was god awful and a snozefest. I should have listened to my instincts and left early in the movie. The Ring was OK, but there was no real scariness to it. People watched a movie, they died, yawn.

Ditto, but we did leave during The Grudge.

QUOTE(BearSox @ May 31, 2007 -> 03:25 PM)
How is that one scene from spaceballs scary? and ranked in the top 5 (no. 4)?

It was supposed to be from Aliens, they prolly just put that one there as a joke

I wish all of the scenes worked, only some have a video.. that return of the living dead one was more funny than scary with that crazy zombie asking for brains haha..

Also, Movies really don't scare me anymore (yeah, I'm over 14), mainly because it is easy for me to be able to guess what is gonna happen... But I am squirm-ish when I see someone getting hacked away by an ex.

The things that scare me are the things that make you think. Like this...

http://www.ufodigest.com/news/0806/bek.html

QUOTE(Shadows @ May 31, 2007 -> 03:26 PM)
It was supposed to be from Aliens, they prolly just put that one there as a joke

I wish all of the scenes worked, only some have a video.. that return of the living dead one was more funny than scary with that crazy zombie asking for brains haha..

Yeah, I realized that after I made the post... what a great Movie Spaceballs was though.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 31, 2007 -> 03:28 PM)
'The Shining' and 'The Exorcist' should have the top 10 slots. You guys can fight over the rest.

The exorcist freaked me out. I was about 10 I think when I first saw it, and I couldn't sleep in my room because my brother always freaked me out (he was about 14).

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ May 31, 2007 -> 07:14 PM)
The Grudge and The Ring are only scary if you find the jerky movements of the killers scary. I didn't.

The only creepy part of The Ring was the little girl climbing out of the well and coming towards the screen, the rest was silly.

The Grudge was a joke.

QUOTE(BearSox @ May 31, 2007 -> 03:31 PM)
But I am squirm-ish when I see someone getting hacked away by an ex.

We haven't met, have we? How do you know her? Did you have something to do with my divorce? I KNEW IT!!!

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ May 31, 2007 -> 07:14 PM)
The Grudge and The Ring are only scary if you find the jerky movements of the killers scary. I didn't.

Yeah, newer "horror" movies are about copious amounts of gore, quick cuts, and shaky camera work. Not scary, and not good cinema.