Would you want players like this ?

WHITESOXRANDY

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6864414

This is a link to the A-ROD flap. I think it's a joke. ARod hits a pop and yells somethingl ike "I got it" and the Blue Jays let it fall in for a hit. Then, they whine about how bush league ARod is.

Maybe it's just me but I always liked to win. It's not like he cheated or did something against the rules. Personally, I would love to have a team full of overpaid star athletes that want to win this badly that they would lower themselves to yelling "got it" in order to win a game.

Do you agree or disagree ?

It was a brilliant ploy that worked to perfection and the Blue Jays can't stop whining about it. I still don't get why people hate on A-Rod for the Arroyo play in the '04 ALCS, people forget he ALMOST got away with it and that would have changed the entire complexion of that game. You do whatever it takes to win, period.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 31, 2007 -> 11:21 AM)
Didn't one of our guys, I think it was Uribe, do exactly that in a Cubs/Sox series like 2 years ago?

Uribe signaling foul ball to Derrek Lee at second base, Lee pulled up and wasn't able to advance to third, which he could have done easily.

If A-Rod simply said "HAH," I don't know what the problem is. I can see an "I got it" being a little cheap, but a major league third baseman should have the concentration to block out a shout. They don't seem to have any problem tuning everyone out at a nearly empty park during batting practice.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 31, 2007 -> 11:19 AM)
I still don't get why people hate on A-Rod for the Arroyo play in the '04 ALCS, people forget he ALMOST got away with it and that would have changed the entire complexion of that game. You do whatever it takes to win, period.

no, that was a dirty play. He almost took his arm off. Plus it is against the rules. I'd hate any sox player if they tried that.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ May 31, 2007 -> 11:36 AM)
I think it's total bush league and when Uribe did it to Derek Lee, I thought that as well.

I thought the same thing with Uribe. Now I'm wondering if there isn't room for a little bush league?

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ May 31, 2007 -> 11:39 AM)
Don't team use different signals for cut, I got it, stop, go etc. to alleviate this from happening?

If A-Rod knows this signal and yells it than this is kind of bush league. Defensive players can not mock snap calls in football.

Thats not the same thing, you aren't allowed to move until the ball is snapped.. its more like saying a defensive back isn't allowed to yell at a receiver before he catches the ball..

There are plenty of noises going on, if "hah" causes you to miss a pop up, I do believe that should be your own fault

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 31, 2007 -> 11:46 AM)
I thought the same thing with Uribe. Now I'm wondering if there isn't room for a little bush league?

If an ump calls a strike a ball, I don't expect the batter to tell him about it. If an ump says you were hit by a pitch and you weren't, I don't expect the batter to tell him about it. If an ump calls a homerun a foul ball...I don't expect the outfielder to tell him about it. Mistakes happen over the course of the game. Sometimes for you sometimes against you... I don't like them...I'd prefer everything to happen as it actually does, but that's not the case.

However, if you have to use some outside force to change the play of a game then to me that's bush league.

Grounding out and trying to knock the ball out of the first basemans glove cause you didn't do your job.

Standing in front of a throw and letting it hit you cause you were going to get doubled off.

Saying "I got it" or "mine" or even "boo" to the player about to catch a pop up cause your teammate couldn't get a hit.

Telling a player a hit is a foul ball to get him to stop.

These are all cases of someone not getting the job done so they try to cheat instead. It's just a personal preference I guess. If you didn't get it done...you didn't get it done....take your lumps

I'm definitely not in the "if you're not cheating, you're not trying" club.

Edited by Controlled Chaos

QUOTE(Balance @ May 31, 2007 -> 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't see anything wrong with what A-Rod did. If you can't tune out one person trying to distract you by shouting, do you really belong in the Major Leagues?

They can tune out a ballpark full of little kids asking for an autograph but saying "boo" to them will distract them from catching a pop-up.

My team won the World Series in 2005 and I'll cherish that memory as long as I live. Turns out part of the reason that they won had something to do with a heads up play by our catcher at the time. A lot of players wouldn't have done what he did. I'll always love that catcher and my memories of winning it all.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 31, 2007 -> 11:33 AM)
We have a player just like this on our team right now... His name is AJ, remember the guy who spiked the MVP just because he could?

I agreed with the first sentence :P

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ May 31, 2007 -> 12:43 PM)
They can tune out a ballpark full of little kids asking for an autograph but saying "boo" to them will distract them from catching a pop-up.

My team won the World Series in 2005 and I'll cherish that memory as long as I live. Turns out part of the reason that they won had something to do with a heads up play by our catcher at the time. A lot of players wouldn't have done what he did. I'll always love that catcher and my memories of winning it all.

AJ made a heads up play...he didn't cause the ball do go in the dirt. The two plays aren't even comparable.

You're the second person to say he drop the ball becuase he was distracted? As if it was just because there was some noise around him and he dropped the ball. The ball dropped for a hit because the noise came from where his own player was. Put that pop up a foot from the stands in an away park with a 1000 fans screaming at the top of their lungs and he'll catch it. It isn't noise that caused him to miss it. It was moving out of the way when you hear a teammate call it. Only it wasn't his teammate it was a bush league player that is desperate to show us all that money has nothing to do with class.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ May 31, 2007 -> 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
AJ made a heads up play...he didn't cause the ball do go in the dirt. The two plays aren't even comparable.

You're the second person to say he drop the ball becuase he was distracted? As if it was just because there was some noise around him and he dropped the ball. The ball dropped for a hit because the noise came from where his own player was. Put that pop up a foot from the stands in an away park with a 1000 fans screaming at the top of their lungs and he'll catch it. It isn't noise that caused him to miss it. It was moving out of the way when you hear a teammate call it. Only it wasn't his teammate it was a bush league player that is desperate to show us all that money has nothing to do with class.

With all due respect, I'm glad that you never played on my team. AROD might go down is THE greatest player ever and to you he's bush league. You don't what you're talking about.

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ May 31, 2007 -> 01:28 PM)
With all due respect, I'm glad that you never played on my team. AROD might go down is THE greatest player ever and to you he's bush league. You don't what you're talking about.

I never said Arod wasn't great, just that IMO his actions are bush league.