Would you want players like this ?

WHITESOXRANDY

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ May 31, 2007 -> 12:26 PM)
If an ump calls a strike a ball, I don't expect the batter to tell him about it. If an ump says you were hit by a pitch and you weren't, I don't expect the batter to tell him about it. If an ump calls a homerun a foul ball...I don't expect the outfielder to tell him about it. Mistakes happen over the course of the game. Sometimes for you sometimes against you... I don't like them...I'd prefer everything to happen as it actually does, but that's not the case.

However, if you have to use some outside force to change the play of a game then to me that's bush league.

Grounding out and trying to knock the ball out of the first basemans glove cause you didn't do your job.

Standing in front of a throw and letting it hit you cause you were going to get doubled off.

Saying "I got it" or "mine" or even "boo" to the player about to catch a pop up cause your teammate couldn't get a hit.

Telling a player a hit is a foul ball to get him to stop.

These are all cases of someone not getting the job done so they try to cheat instead. It's just a personal preference I guess. If you didn't get it done...you didn't get it done....take your lumps

I'm definitely not in the "if you're not cheating, you're not trying" club.

If you listen to a player from the other team tell you the ball was foul instead of looking at your base coach then you aren't doing your job either and deserve to stopped there..

I do not agree with anything you're saying.. if your a pro, you shouldn't be messed up by these things

As far as the ALCS play, it might have been cheap but the bottom line is it's up to the umps to call it. They ended up getting it right. I'm not a very big fan of this play. I played baseball for over ten years and I would never have done something like it, same with Uribe's deke. That being said if the Jays hated it so much they need to drill him. Hell, Arod doesn't do that in the first inning, that's for sure.

QUOTE(Shadows @ May 31, 2007 -> 03:22 PM)
If you listen to a player from the other team tell you the ball was foul instead of looking at your base coach then you aren't doing your job either and deserve to stopped there..

I do not agree with anything you're saying.. if your a pro, you shouldn't be messed up by these things

You think if you're a pro you shouldn't be messed up by these things and I think if you're a pro, you shouldn't be doing these things in the first place.

Edited by Controlled Chaos

If you are a pro SS, you take control of the situation and let the 3B get to his base to cover it. Then, none of this matters because you know the ball is yours. The only reason this happened was because the 3B was expecting to get called off the ball, but the SS never did.

Edited by vandy125

Also, I think I should add, I have no problem with this type of play. Players do it all the time. I personally am I big anti-Arod guy, but there is nothing wrong with that play. However, I don't like how he purposely knocked the ball out of the glove in 04, as that could have caused an injury, and was against the rule book. Or that play he pulled against us in 05.

Well, I didn't see the play, but from the sounds of it, it was a routine pop up and whoever was closer should have called for it and made the catch. In that type of play, it doesn't matter who the leader of the infield is. As long as it isn't the pitcher of course.

QUOTE(BearSox @ May 31, 2007 -> 03:51 PM)
Well, I didn't see the play, but from the sounds of it, it was a routine pop up and whoever was closer should have called for it and made the catch. In that type of play, it doesn't matter who the leader of the infield is. As long as it isn't the pitcher of course.

From what I remember seeing, it could of gone to either one. SS should take charge and get everyone away. Maybe I saw it wrong though. :huh

How is this bush league, this is called smart baseball. I have seen this done from little league to the college level and I am sure it happens more and more at the MLB level. But because its Arod, then people get mad.

Our shortstop in college and the 2nd baseman used to yell back back back when a guy would get off the base, to deak them back to the base while using his cleat to kick up dust and make noise. The runner would think that a play is on, and would break back or shift his weight back. This was enough to either keep the guy from scoring or allow us to have a force on a play we wouldnt of before.

How many people steal signs? We had a bench coach for years that was a master at it. How many people on 2nd relay signs back to the hitter?

We used to yell cut calls when the ball was coming into home from the outfield. The minute the ball would come near the cut guy, the guy in the batters box would yell "CUT 2". The cut man ever so often would buy it and cut the ball.