Erstad hurt

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 31, 2007 -> 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess im the only one excited at maybe seeing Owens get extended time leading off?

If that is true I am excited about seeing it. I don't want to see a combination of Mack and Terrero in LF and Owens playing CF. I want Tererro in CF and Owens in LF leading off on almost a daily basis.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 31, 2007 -> 10:12 PM)
I guess im the only one excited at maybe seeing Owens get extended time leading off?

If he is the one that gets the call it should be fun seeing him in action. I like most have serious doubts about his future upside but there's no denying the numbers he's putting up in that bandbox at AAA this season. Lets just hope Ozzie sticks with him at the top of the order as long as possible.

Since Ozzie said Mack isn't going to play CF any more, unless you are making Terrero a regular, if Owens is coming up, he's going to have to see time in CF. I know people on this site have seen Owens and swear he's not a CF and I believe them. I also heard KW call Owens a CF at Soxfest 2006. So once again, he may not care what the rest of the world thinks, his s***ty scouts say the guy is a CF so he's a CF. He can't be worse in CF than Carl Everett in 2003, can he?

I do hope whatever happened to Erstad isn't career ending, but it was a loud pop and he was in pain. I can't imagine him being back for a long time. He does play the game right and even if you don't think he's any good, you have to admire how he plays. I wish him a speedy recovery.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 31, 2007 -> 10:10 PM)
Yeah, but he has really learned to walk this season. Our minors are pretty good dude, you've been ignoring them obviously this year. We have some good arms down there.

I'm pretty sure you and I are the only people on this board who are pretty high on Owens. I have liked the idea of him as the leadoff hitter for awhile.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 31, 2007 -> 10:12 PM)

Nah I'm with you, but we're for sure in the minority. I'd rather see him than Grinderstad or Mackowiak, and if he's ever going to be an MLB player, now is the time. Plus he's been very good in Charlotte this year.

Yeah, but he has really learned to walk this season. Our minors are pretty good dude, you've been ignoring them obviously this year. We have some good arms down there.

We have a lot of good arms, but our position player pool isn't deep at all. We're banking on our few position guys to all be good to very good, which won't work out. I like our pitching though, as well as the position prospects that are actually good.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ May 31, 2007 -> 08:28 PM)
Well he never had any "pop" in his bat.

This should've been expected, but at least the Sox have some options in the minor leagues. I couldn't imagine what would happen if Iguchi or Uribe suffered an injury this serious.

Andy Gonzalez my man. He was hitting a solid .240 in Charlotte with no power when he got the call. He's due.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 31, 2007 -> 10:27 PM)
Andy Gonzalez my man. He was hitting a solid .240 in Charlotte with no power when he got the call. He's due.

Valido's going to turn thing around. Just like Liotta. Just like Honel. Just like Malone. Just like Brian West.

Heck, maybe we can bring back Jason Dellaero or Caruso while we're at it.

Detroit loses Kenny Rogers, Zumaya, and Rodney and they still keep winning. Minnesota is struggling a bit but has a payroll many millions below the White Sox, they lose Liriano and Mauer and kick the Sox ass. The Sox get the back-up catcher hurt, Pablo Ozuna hurt and a $1 million guarantee player like Erstad injured who gets hurt every year, and Pods another perrenial injury is out and they look like they may just prove BP's 72-90 PECOTA projection correct. If the Sox fail this year, injuries shouldn't be an excuse.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ May 31, 2007 -> 08:08 PM)
Where do you get this stuff? Where is this supposedly 6 million dollar option you are talking about. Show me proof of it please. There is no such thing. Yeah, you're right - Anderson is the answer.

FoxSports Link

Free-agent outfielder Darin Erstad officially became a candidate for the White Sox's center-field job Wednesday, signing a one-year, $1 million contract with a club option for 2008, FOXSports.com has learned.

The value of the option is $3.5 million, but could escalate to a maximum of $6 million if Erstad makes 600 plate appearances next season. It would increase by another $250,000 if Erstad is named Comeback Player of the Year.

Erstad, 32, will earn a $750,000 salary in '07 and receive a $250,000 buyout if the Sox do not exercise his option. The value of his buyout also can increased base on his number of plate appearances, to a maximum of $1.25 million.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 31, 2007 -> 08:32 PM)
Detroit loses Kenny Rogers, Zumaya, and Rodney and they still keep winning. Minnesota is struggling a bit but has a payroll many millions below the White Sox, they lose Liriano and Mauer and kick the Sox ass. The Sox get the back-up catcher hurt, Pablo Ozuna hurt and a $1 million guarantee player like Erstad injured who gets hurt every year, and Pods another perrenial injury is out and they look like they may just prove BP's 72-90 PECOTA projection correct. If the Sox fail this year, injuries shouldn't be an excuse.

Um, you also missed the few weeks Thome missed, and according to the stats, at the time he went down, he was generating more runs/game than any other player in baseball, Bonds and ARod included.

Our minors are pretty good dude, you've been ignoring them obviously this year. We have some good arms down there.

Our system isn't as bad as everyone says it is, but it's not very good at all. I think BA had us #25 this year, and I trust their anaylsis. Drafting Broadway and McCulloch back to back hurt us pretty bad. Not to mention we haven't been making an impact in latin america/pacific rim. Fields, Sweeney, Gonzalez have huge upside. I also still think BA has a future (even though technically he isn't a prospect), but who knows what will happen with him.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ May 31, 2007 -> 10:36 PM)
Owens is kinda like Pods, except he should be a better base stealer.

Not to mention play better D and get on base more.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 31, 2007 -> 10:32 PM)

Dont worry, in the 2nd half of this year the Hawk will be all over the injury angle. It will be what KW and Hawk ride into soxfest to keep the hordes from wanting blood.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 31, 2007 -> 10:32 PM)

Just look at their offense, with Ordonez the early favorite for MVP. The numbers that players on our rivals are putting up, compared to our best hitters, it's totally unreal, especially after the first half of 06.

They're getting good starts from Durbin, even. He had a horrible ERA with the Royals! Just proves that sometimes you can take a player out of a losing organization, put him with the Tigers/Twins (even the White Sox) and he suddenly starts to realize his potential.

With Verlander, Bonderman and Robertson, they're pretty slump proof. Ledezma has done a decent job replacing Walker. Andrew Miller could tip the balance in the Central back in their favor if he pitches as projected by many. Throw in Rogers, and they trump anyone in the AL, with the possible exceptions of the Red Sox and Angels.

Still, the fact of the matter is that they're only 7 games over .500 and the Twins, A's and Yankees will be on their heels for the rest of the season.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 31, 2007 -> 09:36 PM)
I'm shocked it took him this long. Kenny Williams has had a terrible couple months and one of the worst offseasons a Sox GM has ever had.

Williams acceptance of the worst outfield in baseball before the injuries, and the reliance on the likes of Terrero and Mack after them to fill the "void" has been bad. Very bad. But one of the worst offseasons a Sox GM ever had? I don't think so. He didn't sign Navarro...he didn't trade Sosa for Bell...he didn't trade for Todd Ritchie (OK, he actually did but not this offseason) and those are just recent offseasons. In hindsight, he should have been more radical and ripped up the team, but I don't think that was obvious at the time.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ May 31, 2007 -> 10:48 PM)
The act is getting tired, however.

I think we should all write a letter to Kenny Williams begging him to draft/develop some prospects that succeed in the majors (aside from Chris Young) so that quickman will stop. It's the only solution I can see :)

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ May 31, 2007 -> 10:57 PM)
Williams acceptance of the worst outfield in baseball before the injuries, and the reliance on the likes of Terrero and Mack after them to fill the "void" has been bad. Very bad. But one of the worst offseasons a Sox GM ever had? I don't think so. He didn't sign Navarro...he didn't trade Sosa for Bell...he didn't trade for Todd Ritchie (OK, he actually did but not this offseason) and those are just recent offseasons. In hindsight, he should have been more radical and ripped up the team, but I don't think that was obvious at the time.

It's only magnified because of the bar being set so high and expecatations of many "new" Sox fans up after the WS euphoria.

I would call trading for Koch, Clayton or Ritchie, even signing David Wells, not so good either.

We all thought the White Sox were in a position for an extended run of competing, and we set ourselves up to be disappointed, as most Sox seasons usually end up...but you talk about bad offseasons this decade, check the NORTH side of town first.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ May 31, 2007 -> 09:03 PM)
I'd rather see Sweeney come up and end the Mack/Terrero experience and BA in center. Let's move on with this franchise.

I agree.

If the team's going to lose, they should lose with kids and a $35 mil payroll, not with underachieving old guys and a $100 mil payroll.

Edited by knightni

QUOTE(knightni @ May 31, 2007 -> 11:01 PM)
I agree.

If the team's going to lose, they should lose with kids and a $35 mil payroll, not with underachieving old guys and a $100 mil payroll.

I'm not ready to write off Terrero yet, without seeing him play more regularly. He might end up being a better player for the Sox than Anderson in the long-term.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ May 31, 2007 -> 10:59 PM)
I think we should all write a letter to Kenny Williams begging him to draft/develop some prospects that succeed in the majors (aside from Chris Young) so that quickman will stop. It's the only solution I can see :)

Chris Young has a .314 obp right now. I think he's going to be a good player, but if Fields came up and put up those kind of numbers everyone would be ready to crucify him.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Jun 1, 2007 -> 12:07 AM)
I'm not ready to write off Terrero yet, without seeing him play more regularly. He might end up being a better player for the Sox than Anderson in the long-term.

I'm not against Tererro entirely.

I'm against the bloated, losing machine that this team is becoming.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jun 1, 2007 -> 04:07 AM)
Chris Young has a .314 obp right now. I think he's going to be a good player, but if Fields came up and put up those kind of numbers everyone would be ready to crucify him.

I love when people take one stat and try to base their argument around it when there's other stats that prove the player is performing well. I'm pretty sure that Chris Young would have the 2nd highest OPS on the roster for our starters.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jun 1, 2007 -> 04:07 AM)

Young has 18 extra basehits and is slugging .465. He's already a league average hitter in his first full season in the bigs. I'd kill for a Sox prospect to perform so well.