Thinking about changing my major

Whitewashed in '05

I am currently working on a bachelors degree in computer networking. Right now I work with a company that services schools and I do computer repair/installs, networking, inventory control, etc. I have been there for 4 years this summer. I have invested a lot of time doing this. Not only working, but at home while growing up and at school, but changing my major has crossed my mind before. Now that I am ready to transfer to a university after going to a community college I am asking myself one last time to make up my mind.

I am not sure if it's the job I currently have that I need to move on from or the actual field. I am leaning towards the job because theres some parts of my job that I like and I hate, but that comes with them all. I don't dread going to work. Just sometimes I get so fed up with the politics and the people. The responsibility of making sure everything is working since the world revolves around computers today.

I have heard it is tough finding a good job in the field. Especially if you don't know people.

Even if I did decide I am not fit for this, the next question is what will I do next?

I have had a growing interest in writing, specifically sports (haha). I would love to be a columnist for a newspaper or a magazine. The thing is I wouldn't know where to start. I don't know anything about the field and what I am required to do to get where I want. Is it a pipe dream or realistic? Would it support a lifestyle comparable to what I think I could have in computer networking?

I need some input guys, thanks!

QUOTE(SnB @ May 31, 2007 -> 09:47 PM)
don't stress too much about your major, it probably won't matter anyways. (unless you're in something like engineering or education)

i agree with this. I have a psychology major with a history minor and now I'm an attorney. Unless it's a highly specified field it won't matter too much.

As far as writing being a dream or reality, who really knows. It comes down to how good you are and the opportunities that are offered to you. If you're one of those people who will wake up at 40 and be pissed you didn't give your dream a shot then go for it.

QUOTE(Whitewashed in @ May 31, 2007 -> 09:42 PM)
I am currently working on a bachelors degree in computer networking. Right now I work with a company that services schools and I do computer repair/installs, networking, inventory control, etc. I have been there for 4 years this summer. I have invested a lot of time doing this. Not only working, but at home while growing up and at school, but changing my major has crossed my mind before. Now that I am ready to transfer to a university after going to a community college I am asking myself one last time to make up my mind.

I am not sure if it's the job I currently have that I need to move on from or the actual field. I am leaning towards the job because theres some parts of my job that I like and I hate, but that comes with them all. I don't dread going to work. Just sometimes I get so fed up with the politics and the people. The responsibility of making sure everything is working since the world revolves around computers today.

I have heard it is tough finding a good job in the field. Especially if you don't know people.

Even if I did decide I am not fit for this, the next question is what will I do next?

I have had a growing interest in writing, specifically sports (haha). I would love to be a columnist for a newspaper or a magazine. The thing is I wouldn't know where to start. I don't know anything about the field and what I am required to do to get where I want. Is it a pipe dream or realistic? Would it support a lifestyle comparable to what I think I could have in computer networking?

I have worked on the networking side of the fence for a long time. My original degree was in Criminal Justice. As long as you have a degree in something, some certs in the appropriate technologies, and you have some work experience you are golden. The degree in network engineering is relatively new over the last 5 or so years. Before that it was a bachelors in computer science which pretty much meant programming.

Politics are in every job, no matter what career. I used to work in Law Enforcement before I got into this, and there was good things and bad things with that job as well. As long as you like what you do, more than you don't like it you are good.

See for me, it was the opposite. I had the criminal justice degree and my father had me pegged for lawyer. I took the LSAT and scored in the 93% percentile and then had to tell my dad, that even though I could get into a great law school I had my heart set on tinkering with networks and computers. I had to follow my heart. You will do the same. If you like networking then do it, if you dont find something else. Dont get too hung up on the major.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(Whitewashed in @ Jun 1, 2007 -> 02:42 AM)

finding regular writing or editorial work--especially in a specific field--is at least as tough, especially if you dunno peeps, and newspaper circulations are in decline, so there'll be even fewer jobs and less money for em in coming years.

you'd probably wanna major in journalism, or at least english, and definitely do everything you can to work on your university newspaper or somehow get experience in a deadline-oriented publishing environment. the web makes freelancing a lot easier these days, so look for (reputable) places to contribute so you have clips when you apply for jobs that actually pay and have benefits. while it's true that your undergrad major might not matter in a lotta cases, entry-level positions in publishing are hard to come by, and there's no reason to set yourself back by majoring in, like, business or something if you wanna be a sportswriter. unless you have a hook-up or experience, they'd probably require the journalism degree just to interview you at that point.

as for whether it would support a lifestyle comparable to what you'd make in computer networking: no. i mean, if you do really well and get a big column or something, you'll make some real bank, but even then it would be way down the line. most of my friends work in IT or network support, and we all came outta college around the same time. we've all been pretty successful in our respective careers, but they all make way more than i. the difference? i work in publishing.

i also wouldn't trade places with em for the world. like peeps said, if it's your dream or passion or whatever, do it. if you're just kinda intrigued or half-interested, it might not be worth the trouble and lower pay.

QUOTE(Whitewashed in @ May 31, 2007 -> 09:42 PM)

I am going to be a senior journalism major at NIU this year. Sportswriting is really the only thing I have wanted to do. A lot of people told me it's really hard to find jobs, etc., which is true. Hey, if it doesn't work out you can always go back to school for another year or so. Or you could just stay a year or so longer and get two majors. Of course it will cost some extra money, but if you have always wanted to go into a certain filed you might regret not doing it later on.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 1, 2007 -> 01:39 PM)
Pursue whatever you think is a dream (writing) NOW. You can always fall back on the more secure career (computer networking) later. It's much easier than trying to do it the other way around.

Great post. Do what you like, then make it work in the real world. That's what I did.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I can't stand going to school for one major let alone two...

I have a hard time letting go of computers on my initial thought. Even though sometimes I feel like just dropping everything. After I think about it then I really start thinking maybe I should change...

Like I said I don't even know if journalism is right for me. I just feel that if out of all the more realistic options I have, that is the one that makes the most sense. I just don't want to look back 10 years from now and say "maybe I should've..." Not saying I wouldn't enjoy it or at least I think I would.

QUOTE(Whitewashed in @ Jun 1, 2007 -> 11:38 PM)
Thanks for all the advice guys. I can't stand going to school for one major let alone two...

I have a hard time letting go of computers on my initial thought. Even though sometimes I feel like just dropping everything. After I think about it then I really start thinking maybe I should change...

Like I said I don't even know if journalism is right for me. I just feel that if out of all the more realistic options I have, that is the one that makes the most sense. I just don't want to look back 10 years from now and say "maybe I should've..." Not saying I wouldn't enjoy it or at least I think I would.

You don't have to figure it all out right now. Take the tuition money and backpack through South America, drop obscene amounts of peyote and then figure it out. That's what I, um, would, maybe do :ph34r:

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 2, 2007 -> 02:33 AM)
You don't have to figure it all out right now. Take the tuition money and backpack through South America, drop obscene amounts of peyote and then figure it out. That's what I, um, would, maybe do :ph34r:

i was thinking more along the lines of dropping out of school, picking up a nice heroin habbit, and forming a really commercial pop-punk band. thats what i would i do if i had to do it all over.