Tonight Was This Season's Turnaround?

JohnCangelosi

First, I thought Jerry Owens played pretty darn well in the preseason. Now, I realize he can get the bat taken out of his hands but I was glad to see him get on base and BOY can he move when he gets there! I love to see manufactured runs, nothing like it.

I don't know guys- but something tells me that tonight MAY be the night that turns this whole season around. What great back to back outings by our staff. You have to believe our hitting will come around in June and the bullpen as well. Our hitting, if history is ANY indicator, MUST improve SIGNIFICANTLY.

And I am talking BIG. If anyone thinks all these guys will be hitting .220 at the end of the year you're crazy. It will come around, the law of stats will win in this case.

If so, we're right in this thing. We have talent. Our SP is as good as anyones. We just got to start hitting, and for the love of God put Crede on the DL and move in Fields. He looks horrible out there.

Thoughts? Am I way off here? Way too optimistic Kalapse?

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jun 1, 2007 -> 09:20 PM)
I'm saying 14 straight wins starting tonight.

I will revise my prediction. I see nothing short of a 27-2 June. Have no idea on the amount of games we're playing but it has to be nearly every day with our April and May ;-)

Well Owens certainly gave us a spark tonight.

But as important, Tadahito got 2 hits in the #2 spot as well. If these 2 can give us some life up the top of the order, it'll give more RBI chances to guys in the middle, and hopefully they can start to take advantage.

Fantastic outing by Vazquez as well of course, which he needed.

That's the great thing about baseball (and not so great). We lose on a 2-hitter last night and we have people predicting 90 losses. We beat a not so good Toronto team and we are back.

I think it's somewhere in between. I still don't think this is a playoff team in the particular division we play in (and league). Put this team in the NL and we'd be right there, but that's conjecture and basically a futile exercise to contemplate.

Having said all that, I am a HUGE believer of having energy in a lineup. We had that with Pods in 2005 and have been missing that. Erstad is a solid guy and plays his heart out, but Owens just has more spark. Even when Erstad returns I could (could, and hope) see Owens moving to LF and continuing to leadoff.

If this is Owens's time then it could be an interesting thing to watch. I hate HATE HATE watching our laborious offense plodding through ground outs, strike outs, pop outs waiting for that elusive 3 run homer. One team has stolen fewer bases than us in the American League...I believe if that changes we could at least make this season interesting.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 1, 2007 -> 09:28 PM)
Well Owens certainly gave us a spark tonight.

But as important, Tadahito got 2 hits in the #2 spot as well. If these 2 can give us some life up the top of the order, it'll give more RBI chances to guys in the middle, and hopefully they can start to take advantage.

Fantastic outing by Vazquez as well of course, which he needed.

Gooch looked so much better with Owens on base, whether that was because Burnett had to pitch out of the stretch or something else. Regardless it was nice to see production from those spots.

Vazquez finally pitched like everyone (including his periphs) expects him to. Maybe he had Canada flashbacks to his days in Montreal.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jun 1, 2007 -> 10:33 PM)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Owens (outside of Suck Gonzalez) is the youngest position player the Sox have at the ripe age of 27-28.....

Jerry Owens is 26 and 1.5 years younger than the soon to be 28 year old Uribe.

Everything about Owens swing is hideous, IMO, but I only saw highlights so I couldn't say for sure sure.

I don't think this is a turnaround. For months, after games like this, I've thought it was time for the turnaround but it never happened and I've realized that it's not a particularly good team.

We'll see what happens. Go Sox.

This was my post yesterday in another thread...I think it fits here better...

Last year from 6/6 to 7/6 we played 29 games and won 22 of them. This included some tough games against Detroit, Texas, the World Series Cardinals, the prior World Series Astros and a heated rivalry with the Cubs. I think they have this kind of run in them again. Nothing is clicking right now. This is not blind optimism. We had pitching click early on. We have some hitting as of late, but the pitching has dropped off. When both things get on track we can make a nice run, especially with our upcoming schedule. The season isn't over. Sit back relax and strap it down!!

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jun 2, 2007 -> 09:28 AM)

Last year from 6/6 to 7/6 we played 29 games and won 22 of them. This included some tough games against Detroit, Texas, the World Series Cardinals, the prior World Series Astros and a heated rivalry with the Cubs. I think they have this kind of run in them again. Nothing is clicking right now. This is not blind optimism. We had pitching click early on. We have some hitting as of late, but the pitching has dropped off. When both things get on track we can make a nice run, especially with our upcoming schedule. The season isn't over. Sit back relax and strap it down!!

Just don't strap it on. :P

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jun 2, 2007 -> 09:28 AM)

Hawk?

On July 7th last season the Sox started their toughest stretch of the season with series against the Red Sox, Yankees, Tigers, Rangers and Twins the Sox managed just 3 wins during this 14 game stretch. They plummeted from 1 GB to 8.5 and were unable to recover from this horrific stretch of baseball. So during the toughest streak of games last season a stretch where they wouldn't be able to feast off of s***ty NL Central competition the Sox laid a monster egg.