AGon sent down?

Heads22

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 4, 2007 -> 10:53 AM)
Fields would probably be hitting about .150, striking out 35-40% of the time, and not fielding nearly as well as Joe.

I'm not sure if I agree with those numbers but I tend to agree with you that he'd struggle big time. Still, I'm all for him getting his shot right now.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fields would probably be hitting about .150, striking out 35-40% of the time, and not fielding nearly as well as Joe.

I disagree. I think he could easily hit over .200 with several walks and of course the k's.

Why the hell are we going to trade Joe while his value is this low to bring up a guy who has shown he isn't ready offensively, and would be a step down defensively?

Of all the players struggling at the plate right now, why the hell is it necessary to trade Crede?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 4, 2007 -> 11:06 AM)
I disagree. I think he could easily hit over .200 with several walks and of course the k's.

So are the extra strikeouts and significant drop off in defense worth a few extra walks? Especially when Crede has a history of being a decent hitter.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 4, 2007 -> 11:50 AM)
So are the extra strikeouts and significant drop off in defense worth a few extra walks? Especially when Crede has a history of being a decent hitter.

If he brings us something of worth, yes.

He would do better than that, and at least he knows how to take a walk, unlike Crede. The problem is it's tough to trade Joe when his value is at a peak low.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jun 4, 2007 -> 11:54 AM)
He would do better than that, and at least he knows how to take a walk, unlike Crede. The problem is it's tough to trade Joe when his value is at a peak low.

What about Fields says that he will do better than that? Will the extra walks taken balance out the extra runs allowed by Fields at 3B?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 4, 2007 -> 04:50 PM)

I'd have no problem with more strike outs if Fields can hit more doubles and walk more. Crede is having an incredible unproductive year at the plate. And don't forget that Fields will also give us more speed on the bases, and break up the 3-7 plodders this team has.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 4, 2007 -> 11:13 AM)
If they can trade Crede for a pretty good starting SS, Uribe can play just as well as Crede at 3B until Fields is ready.

Who is going to trade a starting SS for Joe Crede? As this point, Crede is a throw-in -- no team will give up real value for a 3B with bad back with a sub .700 OPS.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 4, 2007 -> 12:04 PM)
I'd have no problem with more strike outs if Fields can hit more doubles and walk more. Crede is having an incredible unproductive year at the plate. And don't forget that Fields will also give us more speed on the bases, and break up the 3-7 plodders this team has.

What about Fields long swing and horrible strike out numbers makes you think he will out hit what Joe Crede is doing now? The Sox rookie hitters have a terrible history of adjusting to the majors, and that includes guys with much more effecient swings than Josh has. He might well be better in the future, but for 2007, I don't see where anyone would think he is going to be better than what we have now, especially when you factor in defense. Good god with as bad as our pitching has been, I shutter to think what they would look like without some one of Crede's calibur at 3B.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 4, 2007 -> 10:40 AM)
He might well be better in the future, but for 2007, I don't see where anyone would think he is going to be better than what we have now, especially when you factor in defense. Good god with as bad as our pitching has been, I shutter to think what they would look like without some one of Crede's calibur at 3B.

How long do we keep making our #1 priority be 2007?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2007 -> 12:44 PM)

I don't think anyone is ruling out the possibility entirely of bringing up some kids and trading away some veterans to get younger. But if 07' isn't your priority, than why do these moves have to occur now anyway? If the objective is to build for 08' or 09' even, you've got to keep playing the vets and hope they get hot at the plate so you can get some value for them closer to the deadline. Dealing them now does nothing but lessen the bounty you get in return, and potentially hurt the confidence of young kids who aren't ready to play at a major league level quite yet.

If you want Fields in 08', let him get his act together in AAA as long as possible- don't force him to try and get it together against major league pitching.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2007 -> 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How about once it hits 12 games back? 111 games left to play and they are 7.5 games out. Stop with all the doom and glook. They are bound to hit better based on their past history. The bullpen will be taken care of. Jerry Owens looks like the boost needed at the top of the order. The starting pitching still loooks very strong. Clevelands bullpen is not all that great and Detroit's closer just got rocked. The other top teams in our division has holes too, the Sox just have to get on a little roll. What if the Sox are 3.5 or 4.5 out at the all-star break - do you really want to start breaking up the team and looking towards the future? That would suck.

Weren't the Twins like 12 games out, behind the Tigers, Sox, and Indians last year with 3 hurt pitchers - Radke, Silva, and Liriano and had Tony Batista playing 3B for them last year? Yet they still came back to not only make the playoffs, but win the division? It would just suck if we actually had a chance to win something and decided to cash it all in so we can look towards the future.

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 4, 2007 -> 12:51 PM)
How about once it hits 12 games back? 111 games left to play and they are 7.5 games out. Stop with all the doom and glook. They are bound to hit better based on their past history. The bullpen will be taken care of. Jerry Owens looks like the boost needed at the top of the order. The starting pitching still loooks very strong. Clevelands bullpen is not all that great and Detroit's closer just got rocked. The other top teams in our division has holes too, the Sox just have to get on a little roll. What if the Sox are 3.5 or 4.5 out at the all-star break - do you really want to start breaking up the team and looking towards the future? That would suck.

Weren't the Twins like 12 games out, behind the Tigers, Sox, and Indians last year with 3 hurt pitchers - Radke, Silva, and Liriano and had Tony Batista playing 3B for them last year? Yet they still came back to not only make the playoffs, but win the division? It would just suck if we actually had a chance to win something and decided to cash it all in so we can look towards the future.

They are also only 5 games out of the wild card spot with a s***load of games still left against two of the teams ahead of them.

This week is the make or break point of the season. Write off the last week to hot teams on the road and we gave the games away. Fine.

While the Sox are facing the Yankees, the Tigers and Indians face the Royals and Rangers. The Sox need 3 of 4 and they should be able to accomplish that.

If they can not take 5 of the next 7 you then have to realize this team is what everyone expected them to be, a .500 team.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 4, 2007 -> 09:53 AM)
And you know this how???

Also, I think you are very much underrating Fields D at 3B. From what I saw last year, he looked like a natural out there. And IMO, it is best to call up players when they are seeing the ball well like Fields. Help add extra confidence.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 4, 2007 -> 01:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They are also only 5 games out of the wild card spot with a s***load of games still left against two of the teams ahead of them.

Exactly - thank you 2k5.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Jun 4, 2007 -> 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This week is the make or break point of the season. Write off the last week to hot teams on the road and we gave the games away. Fine.

While the Sox are facing the Yankees, the Tigers and Indians face the Royals and Rangers. The Sox need 3 of 4 and they should be able to accomplish that.

If they can not take 5 of the next 7 you then have to realize this team is what everyone expected them to be, a .500 team.

Blah blah blah - dude, every week is the mark or break point of the season. There will still be over 100 games left after this week. THe Sox need to win series against everyone. That is just reality.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 4, 2007 -> 12:48 PM)
Blah blah blah - dude, every week is the mark or break point of the season. There will still be over 100 games left after this week. THe Sox need to win series against everyone. That is just reality.
And you expect that to happen with this team? lmao...

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jun 4, 2007 -> 01:42 PM)
And you know this how???

Also, I think you are very much underrating Fields D at 3B. From what I saw last year, he looked like a natural out there. And IMO, it is best to call up players when they are seeing the ball well like Fields. Help add extra confidence.

First of all on defense, do not even try to compare Crede to Fields. There are not many in the majors who compare to Joe, especially someone who is considered to be way improved, and still considered average, at best, at 3B.

Secondly, as for the hitting, I have historical evidence on my side. First of all go back and look how Sox minor league prospects have hit when they first get to the majors. Go back and look at Crede, Anderson, Sweeney, Rowand etc and look how long it took them to adjust to a respectable level. If you want a more accurate comparison take a Joe Borchard who came from a similar backround of not playing baseball everyday, plus having a huge powerhitters swing with a large number of strikeouts.... How long did it take Borch to make it? You can also look MLB wide at hitters who strikeout in about 1/3rd of their ABs in the minors and tell me how many of them hit for a high average when they make it to the majors.

Now how do you know he will hit when he gets here?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 4, 2007 -> 12:52 PM)
First of all on defense, do not even try to compare Crede to Fields. There are not many in the majors who compare to Joe, especially someone who is considered to be way improved, and still considered average, at best, at 3B.

Secondly, as for the hitting, I have historical evidence on my side. First of all go back and look how Sox minor league prospects have hit when they first get to the majors. Go back and look at Crede, Anderson, Sweeney, Rowand etc and look how long it took them to adjust to a respectable level. If you want a more accurate comparison take a Joe Borchard who came from a similar backround of not playing baseball everyday, plus having a huge powerhitters swing with a large number of strikeouts.... How long did it take Borch to make it? You can also look MLB wide at hitters who strikeout in about 1/3rd of their ABs in the minors and tell me how many of them hit for a high average when they make it to the majors.

Now how do you know he will hit when he gets here?

I don't know if he'll hit in the majors. The only way anyone can tell is if he gets his chance. You can't just go through a list of all minor league prospects and automatically say depending on their numbers whether a player would succeed or not. That is asinine.

And, right now, a monkey could probably put up better numbers then Crede.

Edited by BearSox