"The Dark Knight"

Steve9347

I think its time this film gets its own thread. I am so excited to see a darker story of the Joker, even though he is being played by Heath Ledger.

First shots of "The Joker" prove that the ship has permanently been righted... looking forward to countless Batman sequels from here on out.

2105_joker_sp_lg.jpg

Ledger as the Joker.

Freaking awesome!

Edited by Steve9347

I know somebody who claims to have received a part as an extra with a possible speaking role.

I wish I was in the area for it because they were looking for people with nice cars as well. While driving the hood of my car reminds me of the Batmobile.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news07/batimax1.jpg

A blurry shot of the Joker being filmed by Chris Nolan. But you get the picture.

Im extremely excited about this one. I think Nolan has an amazing grasp on the aura and tone of the Batman comic and translates it very well.

If anything, it isnt Joel Schumachers vision.

There has been a huge guerrilla marketing campaign for this movie already. There is a website www.ibelieveinharveydent.com that is a fake website to go along with this movie. Comic book stores have been randomly sent Joker playing cards with "I believe in Harvey Dent" or "Hahahaha" written all over them. IMO they are doing this one right.

Edited by kyyle23

I thought the Val Kilmer "Batman Forever" was good simply because Jim Carrey embodied the insane ideals of the Riddler so well. However, it was another Joel Schumacher "vision" so the bad guys had neon covered guns and every scene inside of a building looked like a rave.

Tommy Lee Jones as Two Face was forgettable. Not horrible, but he just wasnt there.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 4, 2007 -> 10:11 AM)
I thought the Val Kilmer "Batman Forever" was good simply because Jim Carrey embodied the insane ideals of the Riddler so well. However, it was another Joel Schumacher "vision" so the bad guys had neon covered guns and every scene inside of a building looked like a rave.

Tommy Lee Jones as Two Face was forgettable. Not horrible, but he just wasnt there.

Batman Forever was complete dogs***.

The best thing about Nolan's Batman IMO is that he actually embodies some characteristics of a "super hero". Keaton, Kilmer and Clooney were all pasty unathletic white guys with minimal fighting ability, pretty much a dude with a s*** load of money that can afford a bunch of cool gadgets and vehicles.

Bale actually seems to have some sort of super hero qualities. He's completely ripped, very athletic and has the fighting abilities of a well trained ninja. When Keaton would fight 5 Joker goons at once in the first Batman movie it just seemed weak and unrealistic. He'd stand in the middle of the group as the goons to turns getting knocked out by a few weak blows to the body and head. Atleast Bale is elusive and cunning when fighting or he gets jumped by multiple goons at once and needs to find a way out.

When Watching Batman Begins I just got the feeling that I was watching an actual super hero and I'm hoping Nolan can duplicate that in the rest of the series.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 4, 2007 -> 12:07 PM)
The best thing about Nolan's Batman IMO is that he actually embodies some characteristics of a "super hero". Keaton, Kilmer and Clooney were all pasty unathletic white guys with minimal fighting ability, pretty much a dude with a s*** load of money that can afford a bunch of cool gadgets and vehicles.

Bale actually seems to have some sort of super hero qualities. He's completely ripped, very athletic and has the fighting abilities of a well trained ninja. When Keaton would fight 5 Joker goons at once in the first Batman movie it just seemed weak and unrealistic. He'd stand in the middle of the group as the goons to turns getting knocked out by a few weak blows to the body and head. Atleast Bale is elusive and cunning when fighting or he gets jumped by multiple goons at once and needs to find a way out.

When Watching Batman Begins I just got the feeling that I was watching an actual super hero and I'm hoping Nolan can duplicate that in the rest of the series.

I totally agree. Nolan adds realism to the superhero template. Bale has a few gadgets, but he isnt a stiff and one thing i like about him is that he carries the Bruce Wayne anger very well. Bruce was a very focused person when it came to justice and crime, and Clooney was just a joke when it came to that.

Bale is just refreshing to me. Schumacher really drove this franchise into the ground, and this rebirth is really cool.

On another board we are having a pretty big discussion about this stuff. The one thing I realized is that there is no ONE idea of what Batman is. Throughout his entire existence there has always been a different take on the character. The beginning was "dark", but nowhere near as dark as Miller took him in "Dark Knight Returns". The books of the 50's and the 60's were light in tone, but nowhere near as light as the TV show. The Shumacher movies may have been more akin to the TV show, but what makes them any less of the character than the West version? Batman seems to be the one superhero that has never been the same for his entire existence, always leaving himself open to interpretation for who is working on him.

I do find it odd though that a fanbase clamoring for the TRUE Batman vision would embrace that Joker design, one that looks NOTHING like the Joker that has been around for years. Nicholson, in all his bloated form, was closer to the Joker than the first picture up there. True that the blurry show shows more faith, so I figure he goes through numerous changes.

But back to Batman, it's all in what you feel is the true Bat.

Question: How many of the people wanting a "true Batman" have actually read the books? How many have read the ORIGINAL books? How many are only familiar with the graphic novels Dark Knight Returns and Killing Joke? I am betting more are not familiar with the original books at all.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jun 4, 2007 -> 12:41 PM)
On another board we are having a pretty big discussion about this stuff. The one thing I realized is that there is no ONE idea of what Batman is. Throughout his entire existence there has always been a different take on the character. The beginning was "dark", but nowhere near as dark as Miller took him in "Dark Knight Returns". The books of the 50's and the 60's were light in tone, but nowhere near as light as the TV show. The Shumacher movies may have been more akin to the TV show, but what makes them any less of the character than the West version? Batman seems to be the one superhero that has never been the same for his entire existence, always leaving himself open to interpretation for who is working on him.

I do find it odd though that a fanbase clamoring for the TRUE Batman vision would embrace that Joker design, one that looks NOTHING like the Joker that has been around for years. Nicholson, in all his bloated form, was closer to the Joker than the first picture up there. True that the blurry show shows more faith, so I figure he goes through numerous changes.

But back to Batman, it's all in what you feel is the true Bat.

Question: How many of the people wanting a "true Batman" have actually read the books? How many have read the ORIGINAL books? How many are only familiar with the graphic novels Dark Knight Returns and Killing Joke? I am betting more are not familiar with the original books at all.

I think the Batman show was more of a product of what could be shown on TV at that time. It was a way to cross over the character to a more broad and family based audience. It was campy for sure, but at that time they had to lighten the mood of the Batman character to put it on the air.

Schumacher definitely drew from that genre, but I think the problem was that he was carrying the torch of the franchise that was handed off as a more dark and brooding Tim Burton version, and towards the end he completely eliminated all reality of the show. Thats where I started to dislike what Schumacher offered. Well, that and the fact that he changed the Batsuit and Robins suit into bondage outfits.

Im sure there are people who can really appreciate what Schumacher did with the films, but I really thought they were poorly written and all about delivering the "BAM" "POOF" and "POP" instead of presenting a palpable crime investigation by Batman. Like i said earlier, I liked Batman Forever. I think Two-Face was completely unnecassary, but I thought the Riddler was great. But Batman and Robin was nothing but crap, top to bottom. When Batman was chasing Iceman on the top of the buildings, I stopped paying attention.

I know that there are different versions of Batman. I have read a lot of Batman comics, and my brother had a great book about Batman through the years that I read from top to bottom. I have read a few graphic novels about him, and I just appreciate the Dark Knight version of him much better than the campy version.

I've read tons of Batman... I do believe that what Nolan is giving us is more of what Frank Miller (who bid to and wrote a script for a "new batman" before Batman Begins)... Nolan gives it a perfect balance, while using Christian Bale, one of the most underrated actors in the country.

I couldn't be happier with how Batman Begins wound up, and I couldn't be happier that Maggie Ghyllenhall (sp?) is replacing Katie Holmes' character too!

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jun 4, 2007 -> 03:01 PM)
I've read tons of Batman... I do believe that what Nolan is giving us is more of what Frank Miller (who bid to and wrote a script for a "new batman" before Batman Begins)... Nolan gives it a perfect balance, while using Christian Bale, one of the most underrated actors in the country.

I couldn't be happier with how Batman Begins wound up, and I couldn't be happier that Maggie Ghyllenhall (sp?) is replacing Katie Holmes' character too!

You could probably spell that name 10 different ways and I wouldnt know which one was right.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 4, 2007 -> 10:11 AM)
I thought the Val Kilmer "Batman Forever" was good simply because Jim Carrey embodied the insane ideals of the Riddler so well.

Was it that embodiement of that sequin suit he wore during the final minutes of the film that you thought was good? :P

jk

Edited by RibbieRubarb

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jun 4, 2007 -> 03:01 PM)

Yeah Bale is underrated he did a good job in the first one I also liked him in The Prestige.

He fits the part, anything really is a better replacement for Katie Holmes she is so emotionless when shes on stage.

Only thing that I dont think I like about this movie is that I cant picture Aaron Eckhart as two face. Hes actor from 'Thank You for Smoking' for those who dont recognize the name. To me he doesnt seem like he would fit the role.

Otherwise been waitin for the next Batman to come out.

Edited by ChWRoCk2

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jun 4, 2007 -> 03:26 PM)
Was it that embodiement of that sequin suit he wore during the final minutes of the film that you thought was good? :P

jk

LOL. Unfortunately the riddler wore that stuff in pretty much every different comic he appeared in, so it didnt really matter to me.

First off, I never even got into the Batman series although I had seen them all, until I saw Batman Begins. Christian Bale is just such a great damn actor, and like Kalapse said, you get the feeling that he really is a super hero based on his appearance and behavior. He's just a badass. Nothing about Michael Keaton says super hero to me. The man played Jack Frost.

As for the casting, I think they picked really good people to play all the roles, except for Katie Holmes maybe, because she's just terrible. But I absolutely loved Michael Caine as Alfred and Morgan Freeman as Lucious. Jury is still out on how Ledger and Gyllenhaal do.

Batman Begins recaptured the true essence of the Batman series, and I can't wait for the Dark Knight. I really hope that the revivals of movie series continue on with Dark Knight and with the upcoming Halloween movie by Rob Zombie.

My $0.02 on the Dark Knight Detective. . .

Frank Miller's retooling was phenomenal, of course, but I don't think it's accurate to say he made batman darker than Bob Kane's original incarnation. In the earliest comics Batman gad a friggin' Gatlin gun on his Batplane for cripes-sake. He started out pretty darn dark.

I think people who say they only liked the first Burton film in the original movie series are not giving Batman Returns a fair shake. Yeah, Nicholson's Joker and the Prince soundtrack are hard to top, But I think in a lot of ways Batman Returns was stronger than the first one, sort of how Bride of was better than James Whale's first Frankenstein Universal film. Then again, I'm a big fan of the quirky side of Burton and not everybody is.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 4, 2007 -> 06:29 PM)
My $0.02 on the Dark Knight Detective. . .

Frank Miller's retooling was phenomenal, of course, but I don't think it's accurate to say he made batman darker than Bob Kane's original incarnation. In the earliest comics Batman gad a friggin' Gatlin gun on his Batplane for cripes-sake. He started out pretty darn dark.

I think people who say they only liked the first Burton film in the original movie series are not giving Batman Returns a fair shake. Yeah, Nicholson's Joker and the Prince soundtrack are hard to top, But I think in a lot of ways Batman Returns was stronger than the first one, sort of how Bride of was better than James Whale's first Frankenstein Universal film. Then again, I'm a big fan of the quirky side of Burton and not everybody is.

I will agree. Batman Returns was a stronger movie than the first one.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jun 4, 2007 -> 08:12 PM)
I have always felt Batman Returns was the superior film. I think Burton really made that film his own with the circus gang, as well as the Zoo. Alot of the shapes and designs that were used in BettleJuice can also be seen in the Zoo in BR.

I think Batman Returns was pretty good, but I feel that Christopher Walkens character was misused. He fell out of the movie once Catwoman was "born", and I think he was just as important as Penguin and Catwoman in the scheme of the movie. there wasnt much character development on Bruce wayne/Batmans part either, and he(Batman) was a relatively new figure in Gothams timeframe.

All in all I think Burton was in it for one, and was pressed into making two Batman films. Sure, visually it was great, but i just felt the storyline was really jumbled.

And i really dont like that Burton killed all of Batmans badguys. Where is Arkham Asylum in all of this?

Edited by kyyle23