White Sox vs. Yankees, 6/5/07 (L)

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 09:24 PM)
Not true at all. Stumm was compared to Roger Clemens, Malone was a stud after his breakthrough season, Ginter and Wright were top 50 prospects by BA. Our organization was loved by Baseball America and other places because we had great minor league pitchers and all of them failed to develope.

I'm going to make an out of character move here and simply respectfully disagree.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 09:28 PM)
Don't you wonder why some teams just continually produce solid big league players like the Braves, the Yankees, the Indians, the Twins...And then wonder why the Sox can't. Well it lies within the organization and sometimes you need a clean sweep to reconstruct.

That and he obviously has not see the Xerox hitting approach every hitting prospect comes up with. Long looping swing that is overmatched the minute it starts to see major league pitching.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 09:29 PM)
Don't you wonder why some teams just continually produce solid big league players like the Braves, the Yankees, the Indians, the Twins...And then wonder why the Sox can't. Well it lies within the organization and sometimes you need a clean sweep to reconstruct.

Hell, I would so much rather be the Devil Rays organization right now. There talent level is so much higher than us every where in the organization.

I'll give you the Braves and Twins, but the Indians pretty much traded for all of their guys, and the Yankee's haven't produced much lately besides Cano.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The majority of minor league picks are busts. Go through the draft sheets. There are many more teams who have failing prospects than guys who make the big show.

The Yankees have developed Cano, and then about 10 years before that it was Jeter and Posada. Not exactly a great track record there.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 09:26 PM)
I totally forgot about Reed, but he was rated the second best prospect in baseball one year behind Joe Mauer by Baseball Prospectus. We have more busts as prospects than any other organizations, maybe along with the Cubs.

Reed was the only reason we got Freddy, so I'm not going there.

Hell, I would so much rather be the Devil Rays organization right now. There talent level is so much higher than us every where in the organization.

It makes me sick to see the home grown talent of other teams. The Yankees trade away god knows how many great prospects, and yet still bring up quality major leaguers from somewhere

Edited by premo

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jun 6, 2007 -> 02:28 AM)

i'm not arguing that changes don't need to be made. i just think people can get carried away sometimes.

and i also don't think the yankees have continually produced solid big league players.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 09:27 PM)
Hearing all of these failed prospects is making me more pissed than the game itself.

Don't forget Sirotka, Baldwin, Chris Snopek, Kenny Williams, Jimmy Hurst, John Snyder, Jim Parque, Aaron Myette, Kevin Beirne, Jesus Pena, Eddie Pearson, Kurt Brown, Ruffcorn, Christman, Mark Johnson, etc.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 09:30 PM)
I'll give you the Braves and Twins, but the Indians pretty much traded for all of their guys, and the Yankee's haven't produced much lately besides Cano.

They obtain the talent, but they take that talent and they teach it how to play fundamentally sound baseball. We get talent, and we ask it to pick out a car on lane 3 of the Dan Ryan and tell them swing for it.

Hell, I would so much rather be the Devil Rays organization right now.

Hell I'd rather be the Cubs. They have Felix Pie, Shawn Marshall, and Rich Hill. Come on man, back off the ledge....I'm not even at that level yet.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Go root for the Devil Rays then. One less compulsive whiner on the board.

What do the Devil Rays have to show for all that "talent level?"

They have been talked about for years and stiill can't get out of the basement.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 09:32 PM)
i'm not arguing that changes don't need to be made. i just think people can get carried away sometimes.

and i also don't think the yankees have continually produced solid big league players.

Agreed on all counts. The Yankees have had maybe the worst minor league system in the game for 5 years now.

Yeah because the Yankees dont have unlimited funds to go and buy it.

We dont have unlimited funds.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 09:31 PM)
Reed was the only reason we got Freddy, so I'm not going there.

That's true and credit Kenny for getting solid major league talent for our supposed great minor leaguers. Of all the trades he made in his tenure, he will be bitten by one and that is the Young deal. And personally, I think Chris Young is very overrated. He will play great D, hit around .270, with 25 homers and 30 SBs in his peak years, but he is not a top 10 prospect like Dayn Perry and others say.

The last 10 years, yes, before, it was Hensley Meulens and Kevin Maas, etc.

Rivera

Bernie Williams

Matsui

Irabu (bust)

Contreras

Cano

Jeter

Posada

Pettitte

Wang

Melky Cabrera

Soriano

Ruben Rivera

Brien Taylor

Drew Henson

Phillip Hughes

Jose Tabata

You can put that list up against almost any team in baseball.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 09:33 PM)

You could have the GDP of the European Union and it doesn't matter if you can't develop players. There is a reason the Yankees haven't won in 7 years now.

Nice job Dewon, keep yourself up here and throw well buddy.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 09:32 PM)
Go root for the Devil Rays then. One less compulsive whiner on the board.

What do the Devil Rays have to show for all that "talent level?"

They have been talked about for years and stiill can't get out of the basement.

I have been about the most optimistic and glass half-full White Sox since I truly became a fan. But the lack of organizational talent is just astounding. For a team with the Sox's budget, we have no minor league signings of top free agents. We give big money to guys who will do absolutely nothing like Gomes and Po-Sin Lee who now somehow only throws in the mid 80's. We are not a great run organization, simply put. I am sorry if I sound whiny, but being so optimistic for so long is just frustrating.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 09:35 PM)
The last 10 years, yes, before, it was Hensley Meulens and Kevin Maas, etc.

Rivera

Bernie Williams

Matsui

Irabu (bust)

Contreras

Cano

Jeter

Posada

Pettitte

Wang

Melky Cabrera

Soriano

Ruben Rivera

Brien Taylor

Drew Henson

You can put that list up against almost any team in baseball.

Wang, Matsui, and Irabu were signed out of Asia, Contreras out of Cuba. What have Cabrera, Rivera, Taylor, and Henson done to warrant any praise?

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 6, 2007 -> 02:33 AM)

that's true, but my point was more directed at the post claiming the yankees have had some great track record of developing players. they haven't.

there is no doubt changes need to be made because our system isn't producing what it should be. williams has said that himself.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 09:37 PM)
Wang and Irabu were signed out of Asia. What have Cabrera, Rivera, Taylor, and Henson done to warrant any praise?

Yep and as for the rest of those guys, Contreras was a Cuban defect that sucked for them, Matsui is from Asia as well, and the rest of those guys came up a decade or so ago now.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 09:37 PM)
Wang and Irabu were signed out of Asia, Contreras out of Cuba. What have Cabrera, Rivera, Taylor, and Henson done to warrant any praise?

How does being signed out of Asia in Wang's case as a youngster any different from Latin America. He is a farm product of the Yankees.