Crede Out Again, Possible DL Trip (per Score)

Gregory Pratt

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 04:57 PM)
:huh

We'll never know. Haven't there been posts here from people who've gone through it, or who knew someone who did, who said they'd only go under the knife as a last resort? (I know I've read things like this somewhere...) Those things have changed my mind quite a bit on this. Whoever's right, I don't think Crede was being unreasonable.

Well, something along these lines was printed in an MLB.com piece, with Mr. Crede's own words, last October.

"He's a guy who has done these surgeries before. It's a very minor surgery. You walk in and you walk out. There's no laying up in a bed or overnight stay in a hospital." If Crede does go through with the surgery, he would likely be out three months. Because of that, he will make a decision sooner rather than later so it doesn't affect his status come Spring Training.
Yes, there's a risk in any surgery, but if you're a baseball player looking for a payday, I think that having a surgery on your record might not look as bad as the .216 average and .575 OPS Mr. Crede is sporting these days.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 08:02 PM)
Well, something along these lines was printed in an MLB.com piece, with Mr. Crede's own words, last October.

Yes, there's a risk in any surgery, but if you're a baseball player looking for a payday, I think that having a surgery on your record might not look as bad as the .216 average and .575 OPS Mr. Crede is sporting these days.

I'm not an expert, I'm just saying that, iirc, a number of people have said this is not just "any surgery" -- that people often never feel right afterwards. If that's true, then I'd probably do what Joe did. You always have the option of surgery later.

And I'm sure Joe is downplaying it in that quote (maybe because he was considering having it done, and wanted to put a positive face on it). Nothing that's "very minor" sidelines you for 3 months.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 08:53 PM)
Its been nice getting to look at our prospect outfielders. Now we better get a chance to see what Fields has.

I remember distinctly last season being impressed with his eye. I hope that translates to at least a couple of walks.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 08:59 PM)
and if he sucks, then what.

Then you atleast get a glimpse of him and see if he's ready to hit major league pitching. If he falls flat on his face then KW has to think twice before just handing him a job in the offseason, there needs to be a backup plan unlike what was done with the outfield this year.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 09:02 PM)
then we realize that unless we have a 125 million dollar payroll the next few years, our team isn't going to be very good.

we will need that type of payroll anyway over the next few years because our system needs a complete overhaul. It will take three years to rebuild it and that is only if we can make some draft changes. I am sure Fields is a solid prospect and could be our only prospect. Hope the kid does well and not like the other scrums we have been bringing up.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 09:04 PM)
Then you atleast get a glimpse of him and see if he's ready to hit major league pitching. If he falls flat on his face then KW has to think twice before just handing him a job in the offseason, there needs to be a backup plan unlike what was done with the outfield this year.

Completely agree and a well thought. I am routing for the kid we need someone to step up, I am tired of our prospects lacking talent. This team is rapidly becoming AAA. A few more losses or injuries and we might as well, start rebuilding this thing.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 06:51 PM)
Shoulda traded him in the offseason <_>

Hindsight being 20/20, I have to agree 100%.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 08:53 PM)
Its been nice getting to look at our prospect outfielders. Now we better get a chance to see what Fields has.

Fields will probably start out OK, but like Sweeney and Owens, once Walker gets a chance to "work" with him, he'll go into the tank.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 09:34 PM)
Maybe it's hindsight for you, but I wanted him moved this past offseason, but not for junk like Ervin Santana and Chone Figgins.

I've been comparing Joe to Ed Sprague for the past few seasons, it seems Joe is the exact reincarnation only appearing in the league 10 years later. I figured Joe would put up a line similar to .228/.306/.385/.691 this season, this is what Sprague did during his 29 year old season which just happened to follow a career year at age 28 (same as Joe). Sadly Joe doesn't seem capable of matching even these most mediocre of numbers.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 09:34 PM)
Maybe it's hindsight for you, but I wanted him moved this past offseason, but not for junk like Ervin Santana and Chone Figgins.

Same here... I wanted a Aybar + maybe a little something else out of Crede in the offseason...

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 10:25 PM)
Aybar is so overrated on this site, it's scary.

I don't care if some overrate him. I have been a big fan of his for a while now. He has a better upside then his brother Willy (who is with the Braves now), and could become the type of SS we need. He has great range, a cannon arm as well, and can pick it at SS, a lot like Uribe. But the difference is, he is a switch hitter who has blazing speed and can do a decent job at getting on base. He isn't going to walk a lot, but he will still probably get more then Uribe. And with his speed, he can turn ground outs into singles, and possible DP balls into ground outs, something which Uribe doesn't have enough speed to do.

He won't be a future leadoff hitter like some think he might be, but he would be a perfect guy for the 9-hole, sometimes considered second leadoff.

Edited by BearSox