BBQ Ribs

Reddy

So I'm teaching myself how to make great ribs and i figured i'd see how you guys do 'em.

Back vs. Spare ribs? Which do you prefer

How do you trim them? Prep them?

What kinda rub?

Love to hear what you guys think!

You always want to do a little rub of some sort, even if going with a sauce. You can buy a rub, or try one yourself. I usually like to do a brown sugar one with some spices and garlic in it, always "winging it" though. But the nice thing about a slight rub is that within on sitting you can sauce half and eat the rest wet. More fun that way, IMO.

As for baby back or spare, that all depends on which you prefer. I used to prefer baby back, but now prefer spare by a LONG shot. If done right, you can't beat the spare rib. Either way, be sure you peel the membrane off the back of the ribs. It's tougher to do than anybody will lead you to believe, but it's worth it.

Throwing a rack of ribs on the grill for 10 minutes or so is NOT doing ribs, by the way. They need to slow cook, on a smoker. You can cheat by boiling, but the flavor just isn't the same. My ribs usually take about 6-8 hours. Your first few times doing it, be prepared to over-smoke them and deal with the creasote bitterness. It's not terrible, but expect to be burping it hours later.

I cook with only lump charcoal and real wood. I'm using cherry right now. No briquettes get anywhere near my food. You really can taste a HUGE difference.

Smoking is an art, and it takes time to learn it. The biggest hurdle is managing your temperature and keeping it consistent over time. I don't know how you learn it, but you just do. All of a sudden I was holding a nice 200 degree without even realizing what I was doing. You just learn you smoker.

Lastly, if you are smoking, what type of smoker are you using?

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jun 6, 2007 -> 04:11 PM)
You always want to do a little rub of some sort, even if going with a sauce. You can buy a rub, or try one yourself. I usually like to do a brown sugar one with some spices and garlic in it, always "winging it" though. But the nice thing about a slight rub is that within on sitting you can sauce half and eat the rest wet. More fun that way, IMO.

As for baby back or spare, that all depends on which you prefer. I used to prefer baby back, but now prefer spare by a LONG shot. If done right, you can't beat the spare rib. Either way, be sure you peel the membrane off the back of the ribs. It's tougher to do than anybody will lead you to believe, but it's worth it.

Throwing a rack of ribs on the grill for 10 minutes or so is NOT doing ribs, by the way. They need to slow cook, on a smoker. You can cheat by boiling, but the flavor just isn't the same. My ribs usually take about 6-8 hours. Your first few times doing it, be prepared to over-smoke them and deal with the creasote bitterness. It's not terrible, but expect to be burping it hours later.

I cook with only lump charcoal and real wood. I'm using cherry right now. No briquettes get anywhere near my food. You really can taste a HUGE difference.

Smoking is an art, and it takes time to learn it. The biggest hurdle is managing your temperature and keeping it consistent over time. I don't know how you learn it, but you just do. All of a sudden I was holding a nice 200 degree without even realizing what I was doing. You just learn you smoker.

unfortunately not able to smoke right now... dont have a smoker. I've heard ways to simulate it but i'm sure it's not the same. Basically I'm working w/ an indoor oven and smallish outdoor grill. i've actually found some interesting recipes for doing it in the oven but again - i'm sure all you purists out there will have a heart attack at that. :P

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jun 6, 2007 -> 04:11 PM)

Wait a minute.....you're a beer snob AND a BBQ snob?????

:P :D

I made some on Memorial Day that turned out pretty damn good, but I know I can make better.

I used my webber kettle grill, with a mix of lump and cherry wood (soaked). I tossed on some McCormick rub, had a bit of an apple flavor. I was shooting for a three hour cook time, but when I checked on them at first, I knew that wasn't going to happen. It was too hot, and I ended up pulling them in under 90 minutes.

They weren't falling off the bone, but they were still quite tender and tasted great.

In the winter I make an oven version about once a month... http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/...Ribs---Two-Ways Except I cook 'em at about 275 and for at least 3 hours, and have begun experimenting with some liquid smoke to add some flavor.

Edited by Gene Honda Civic

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jun 6, 2007 -> 06:33 PM)
Honestly? I'm WAY more serious about my BBQ than I could ever dream to be about my beer. I have busted my butt to learn about BBQ.

Have you ever tried to brew your own beer?

If so, how did it turn out?

If not, I'd imagine that's why you'd be more serious about BBQ. The hands-on stuff is always taken the most personally.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jun 6, 2007 -> 05:04 PM)
unfortunately not able to smoke right now... dont have a smoker. I've heard ways to simulate it but i'm sure it's not the same. Basically I'm working w/ an indoor oven and smallish outdoor grill. i've actually found some interesting recipes for doing it in the oven but again - i'm sure all you purists out there will have a heart attack at that. :P

I dont care what the purists say...I make my ribs in the oven and they are the bomb. Unless I got myself a smoker I wouldn't change it.

I make this rub:

3 tablespoons brown sugar

1 1/2 tablespoons paprika

1 1/2 tablespoons ground black pepper

1 1/2 tablespoons salt

1 teaspoon garlic powder

If you like your ribs to have a little kick add some cayenne pepper to the mix

I remove the membrane from the back of the ribs, set them on a big piece of foil, rub on the seasonings liberally, seal the foil and let it set in the fridge overnight.

Open the foil and baste the ribs with your favorite BBQ sauce(Sweet Baby Rays). Seal the foil. Set the ribs on a cookie sheet cause the juices will seep out all over the place. I cook em for 3 hours at 275. With about 10 minutes left I open the foil lather on some sauce and turn the oven to broil. (you could also take them out and put them on a hot grill at this point) This is just to get that nice charred crisp on top.

The hardest part about cooking these ribs is plating them cause the meat will fall right off the bone. Don't try to remove the whole slab at once. Cut into sections of about 4 ribs each.

These ribs are super easy and guaranteed to satisfy all. If I'm making 4-6 slabs, I'll use some different BBQ sauces depending on the tastes of whoever is eating em.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 12:48 PM)
I dont care what the purists say...I make my ribs in the oven and they are the bomb. Unless I got myself a smoker I wouldn't change it.

I make this rub:

1 1/2 tablespoons salt

1 teaspoon garlic powder

I remove the membrane from the back of the ribs, set them on a big piece of foil, rub on the seasonings liberally, seal the foil and let it set in the fridge overnight.

Open the foil and baste the ribs with your favorite BBQ sauce(Sweet Baby Rays). Seal the foil. Set the ribs on a cookie sheet cause the juices will seep out all over the place. I cook em for 3 hours at 275. With about 10 minutes left I open the foil lather on some sauce and turn the oven to broil. (you could also take them out and put them on a hot grill at this point) This is just to get that nice charred crisp on top.

The hardest part about cooking these ribs is plating them cause the meat will fall right off the bone. Don't try to remove the whole slab at once. Cut into sections of about 4 ribs each.

These ribs are super easy and guaranteed to satisfy all. If I'm making 4-6 slabs, I'll use some different BBQ sauces depending on the tastes of whoever is eating em.

When you put that much care into it, any purist would be an idiot to say you aren't doing it right.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 01:48 PM)

I make this rub:

1 1/2 tablespoons salt

1 teaspoon garlic powder

Yumm - I know what new recipe I'll be trying soon.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 01:59 PM)
When you put that much care into it, any purist would be an idiot to say you aren't doing it right.

Durn straight.

Anybody got any tips for peeling the membrane off the back? I've only done ribs once and while they turned out good, they could certainly be improved upon. I struggled to get the membrane off.

I baked mine in the oven at a low temp for an hour or two and then put them on my grill. I have a gas grill, so I put it on low heat and the ribs on the top shelf. I included hickory chips and water in foil underneath to get a little smoky flavor. Add Dreamland BBQ sauce and they were plenty good enough to eat. My next foray into ribs will be in a few weeks and I am shooting for award winning. ;-)

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 07:02 PM)
Anybody got any tips for peeling the membrane off the back? I've only done ribs once and while they turned out good, they could certainly be improved upon. I struggled to get the membrane off.

All of the books recommend using a screw driver to slip under the outside edge, and then peel up. I always just use a butter knife and am successful about 50% of the time. It really seems to be up to the ribs if they're going to let you get that crap off. I've done it in the way of just cutting it off the meat portions and leaving it on the bone portion when the peeling doesn't work though.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jun 8, 2007 -> 07:27 AM)
All of the books recommend using a screw driver to slip under the outside edge, and then peel up. I always just use a butter knife and am successful about 50% of the time. It really seems to be up to the ribs if they're going to let you get that crap off. I've done it in the way of just cutting it off the meat portions and leaving it on the bone portion when the peeling doesn't work though.

Once you get a little corner up use a paper towel to grab the membrane and peep it off. Go slow like you're removing a sticker and trying to get it all off in one piece.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 8, 2007 -> 08:42 PM)
God I f***ing love that beer. Do tell.

I just get fresh ground beef...season them up a little....put them in a baking pan and then pour a bottle or two on them and let 'em soak for 10 min. I like burgers well done, and you'll need to because of the extra moisture in the patty. OMG. Best Burger Ever. I add Chipotle chedder cheese on top and you'll never eat another kind of burger again.