2007 MLB Amateur Draft Thread

Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 09:52 PM)
I've watched his video on mlb.com. From what I saw, it reminded me of Sisco. Little movement and no secondary stuff to back it up. His delivery is very similar as well.

He's going to have to be a reliever. I wouldn't be to upset if he can be a lefty set-up man.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 04:52 PM)
I've watched his video on mlb.com. From what I saw, it reminded me of Sisco. Little movement and no secondary stuff to back it up. His delivery is very similar as well.

Sisco - sidearmer - 93mph without movement and lack of control. slider with no control

Poreda - 95 mph with good movement and sink. Secondary pitches change up and slider. throws all with great control.

so there both big white guys. thats about it.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 02:53 PM)
He's going to have to be a reliever. I wouldn't be to upset if he can be a lefty set-up man.

Well, at some level, I think you do have to be fairly disappointed if your first round pick winds up being nothing but a LOOGY. From the first round, I'd think you'd either want someone who can come up and close or someone who can be a starter. It's just too easy to find Lefty setup men otherwise. In the last year, we've come up with one of them trading a washed up prospect and created another gem out of our organization with something like a 10th round pick (that's when the Legend was drafted right?). And we pulled a LOOGY off the scrap heap and sent him to the Red Sox for Riske, and maybe grabbed another one for a backup 1b who never played.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 04:56 PM)
If Main was there at 25, do you think he would have been the pick?

Yep

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 04:56 PM)
That's the main thing that disappoints me is his projection to the bullpen.

It all depends if he can develop secondary pitches. Keep in mind he is very raw for a college player.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 04:58 PM)
Well, at some level, I think you do have to be fairly disappointed if your first round pick winds up being nothing but a LOOGY. From the first round, I'd think you'd either want someone who can come up and close or someone who can be a starter. It's just too easy to find Lefty setup men otherwise. In the last year, we've come up with one of them trading a washed up prospect and created another gem out of our organization with something like a 10th round pick (that's when the Legend was drafted right?)

well, the only people who think he is a reliever or a LOOGY are on this board. So I wouldnt put a whole lot of stock in that.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 02:59 PM)
well, the only people who think he is a reliever or a LOOGY are on this board. So I wouldnt put a whole lot of stock in that.

Well, I for one am sure hoping he projects as a starter, but I also don't have a clue and I'll freely admit that.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 04:59 PM)

I hope he turns into Randy Johnson in 5 years so we can all hear about how everyone called it when the Sox made the pick. :lol:

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 09:59 PM)

or about three different college scouts who work for BA. I know what they say on the draft blog....but that's not what they think. For the record, they don't think it was a terrible pick. The biggest laughs of the first round were the Pirates and Twins picks.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 05:01 PM)
Well, I for one am sure hoping he projects as a starter, but I also don't have a clue and I'll freely admit that.

Ill second that, I have no clue either. I put some stock into the BA analysis and the rest is wait and see. This kid is the type of kid that hasnt had much formal coaching and just lately has picked up baseball full time. One or two good pitching coaches showing him some offspeed pitches and he could come up with a nasty slider.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 05:02 PM)
or about three different college scouts who work for BA. I know what they say on the draft blog....but that's not what they think. For the record, they don't think it was a terrible pick. The biggest laughs of the first round were the Pirates and Twins picks.

I call the Twins pick especially out on this thread. Revere was a HUGE reach but he does fit their "Pirahna" mold perfectly. Other than that, it was a terrible pick. Then again, I can't question the Twins scouting D.P.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 05:04 PM)
If they're going to make him be a starter, they're going to have to make him into a sinker baller and have him throw more in the 92 range than in the upper 90s.

Supposedly he already has good run and sink on his fastball.