2007 MLB Amateur Draft Thread

Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 05:05 PM)
You know what, if Porcello was off the board or announced that he was going to go to college, I wouldn't be so opposed to the pick. But passing on Porcello makes me hate Poreda.

That makes sense.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 05:10 PM)
Just curious, but are you actually Homer Simpson?

This is what I said earlier.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 05:10 PM)
Still 25 picks away, but Nevin Griffith is still on the board.

I doubt he'll be there when we pick and even if he is.... I don't like our chances of taking him. ;)

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 05:10 PM)
That was the whole first round. The supplemental round is its own round.

Ahh, gotcha. Which only makes more sense as to why the only supplemental pick I saw them mention was Hagadone to the Red Sox.

You know what, if Porcello was off the board or announced that he was going to go to college, I wouldn't be so opposed to the pick. But passing on Porcello makes me hate Poreda.

It'd be different if Porcello was off the board.

If it was between Smoker, Griffith (who at #64 has yet to be picked) and Poreda, I wouldn 't have a problem. All have their share of strengths and defenciencies. But they passed on RICK PORCELLO. The consensus #2 overall.

I don't even care about other teams and their reasons for passing him up. I'm concerned with this team, their position in the American League central, and their lack of projectable starting pitchers to match up with others within the division. We had an opportunity and blew it, for as I'm concerned.

Although, if you're like me, the high expectations will Poreda will have already begun. Ace or #2 are the two options for him. If you're willing to pass up someone with similar stature in Porcello, then I can only assume high expectations are on Poreda. Those secondary pitchers better be developed quickly.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 05:14 PM)
Just for the record I didn't say that. Damn Slav, your post acts like I said that. ;)

Well, I was referring to what he said in the link you posted. I thought you would have figured that.

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 05:13 PM)
They're the kind that don't go to the game an watch the actual play. Stats sheets tell everything you need to know about the guy.

I haven't actually heard your opinion on our selection. Or, if you've actually posted anything, I missed it.

Do you feel the choice was right?

Don't you believe the risk would have been acceptable at 25 for a pitcher of Porcello's potential?

I've commented earlier I'm not entirely upset with the selection. I've been complaining about high ceiling pitchers, and we found one. The problem is, one with an even higher ceiling and more polish all-around was available. Pay him 8 million. Judging by this team's performance this year early in the year, the Sox won't be competing next seaoson. Such a high amount of money is worth the risk for 2008 and beyond.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

i can't seem to catch up in this thread cuz y'alls're snipin at each other too fast so i'm just gonna give my take and leave it alone.

first, i wish we'd've drafted porcello too. i agree that we should've gone (way) over slot in this case cuz he's so much better of a prospect than any other options that were out there. but to bring up the fact that we don't pick again until almost 100 as a reason we should've paid more for porcello is absurd. how much more $ would we really be giving out if we had a sandwich pick? $700,000, maybe? a million? porcello wants a josh beckett contract, adjusted for inflation. that is, he wants $10,000,000 and a big-league contract. an 18-year-old with a big-league contract. he'd go right onto the 40-man and be in his option years (if i understand it correctly) and have to fast-track it to the majors, no time for injuries or developmental hiccups. though, again, i wish we'd've rolled the dice, the risk was enormous, and waiting till next year to reuse the pick would hurt the team at least somewhat. our system's pretty bare, and a year without a first-round talent in it would set us back in our attempt to rebuild it.

i don't think poreda's a bad alternative at all. for $8-9 million less (that theoretically could be put to good use rather than wasted on the grinderstads/podses of the world), we get a big, durable lefty who hits 97 on the gun and throws a lotta strikes. all i ever see on the minor league board is people b****ing about our system being full of low-ceiling soft tossers and future #4s. well, lefties who throw this hard--especially with control--are rare commodities. some peeps have called him a low-ceiling type in this thread, saying his future's as a reliever and that he has no chance of becoming an all star. this is silly. with his unusual skill set, his ceiling is undeniably that of a perenniel all-star. problem is, with one usuable current pitch, he's unlikely ever to approach that ceiling. in other words, he's a boom-or-bust type--the exact opposite of broadway, mcculough, and all the other polished finesse guys people complain about all year long.

his K numbers don't worry me. if he develops another pitch or two, the Ks'll come in droves. if he doesn't, he'll never be more than a gas can anyway. but i don't think his college K numbers are necessarily predictive of his ability to develop offspeed stuff; they just indicate he doesn't have any right now.

he's a bit of a long shot, but he could become a #1. at #25 overall, i'm fine with that.

All this talk about picking HS players went for nothing. Porcello would have been a very nice pick at 25 or even Smoker.