2007 MLB Amateur Draft Thread

Flash Tizzle

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scouting Report: The quintessential projectable high school pitcher, Griffith showed all the ingredients of a premium prospect as an underclassman and put it all together this spring. He solidified his status as a high-round pick by dominating in two showdowns with crosstown rival Michael Burgess and Hillsborough High, the first of which was the buzz of amateur baseball for weeks. Griffith is long, lean and athletic with a whippy arm action. He has improved his balance over the rubber and better incorporated his lower half in his delivery, and his velocity spiked, touching 96 mph and humming along at 90-92 with sink on most nights. His 80-84 mph slider is a plus pitch at times, and he throws a more traditional curveball as well. He has feel for a changeup that he can keep down in the zone. Outside of inconsistency and fatigue, there isn't much to knock on Griffith, who profiles as a middle-of-the-rotation starter and should be drafted in the supplemental round.

45. Nevin Griffith, rhp

School: Middleton HS, Tampa. Class: Sr.

B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-4. Wt.: 180. Birthdate: 3/23/89.

Scouting Report: The quintessential projectable high school pitcher, Griffith showed all the ingredients of a premium prospect as an underclassman and put it all together this spring. He solidified his status as a high-round pick by dominating in two showdowns with crosstown rival Michael Burgess and Hillsborough High, the first of which was the buzz of amateur baseball for weeks. Griffith is long, lean and athletic with a whippy arm action. He has improved his balance over the rubber and better incorporated his lower half in his delivery, and his velocity spiked, touching 96 mph and humming along at 90-92 with sink on most nights. His 80-84 mph slider is a plus pitch at times, and he throws a more traditional curveball as well. He has feel for a changeup that he can keep down in the zone. Outside of inconsistency and fatigue, there isn't much to knock on Griffith, who profiles as a middle-of-the-rotation starter and should be drafted in the supplemental round.

W L ERA G SV IP H BB SO

7 2 0.92 11 1 68 36 18 119

Time to update the draft board.

Just for fun, I'll list my useless draft board.

1. BAP (Best Available Pitcher among Josh Smoker, Michael Main, Madison Bumgarner)

2. Nevin Griffith (Most likely available at #25) :D

3. Matt LaPorta

4. Joe Savery (has recently begun to hit 95mph. Yes, he's a Rice pitcher; but before the season began he was a Top 10 selection.)

If it were up to me he may have been selected in the first round. I love this pick. Good value considering many were appointing him a potential late round selection. This instantly heightens my appreciation for the draft....a little bit.

This is what you need to draft in a pitcher. Even if he never amounts to much, Griffith is a pitcher with projectability and a quality arsenal. :cheers

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 8, 2007 -> 08:53 AM)
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

NEVIN GRIFFITH!

Oh Flash, this is definitely your day now. :D

2 power arms early, seems to be a nice change of pace from the Sox. Looks like KW was right in saying we needed to do a better job in the draft, and I think we've done a good job on that so far.

Now who's the next best middle infield prospect left on the board for our next pick? Or the best prospect left ATM?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 05:59 PM)
If I didn't text you, than who did I text?

That's a really good question.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 06:00 PM)
Time to update the draft board.

If it were up to me he may have been selected in the first round. I love this pick. Good value considering many were appointing him a potential late round selection. This instantly heightens my appreciation for the draft....a little bit.

This is what you need to draft in a pitcher. Even if he never amounts to much, Griffith is a pitcher with projectability and a quality arsenal. :cheers

This guy is now tied to you. He needs to be in your sig, since we finally have a guy you like. :P

FutureSox.com Writeup

Round 2, Pick 89 RHP Nevin Griffith, Middleton HS (Fla.)

Griffith is a 6-2 righty with a thin frame that features a low 90s fastball and an often-times plus slider, with developing pitches including a curve and a change. His breaking stuff is often described as nasty, with his slider being his top pitch. His fastball hovers between 90 and 94. One of the most hyped high school pitchers in Florida, Griffith fits the bill of a projectable starter. Griffith was looked at as a possibility to be picked in the supplemental round before the second round. Griffith is currently committed to Florida International.

:P

Kenny Williams and his scouts will have everybody on their collective knobs if the Sox take Harvey (if he's there) in the third round. The Sox would be getting THREE top 50(ish) talents and would certainly make passing on Porcello worthwhile.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 06:02 PM)
This guy is now tied to you. He needs to be in your sig, since we finally have a guy you like. :P

Good point. Although I'm not the only one.....

I'm sure he'll pitch into oblivion now. :D

yayayayayayayay

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 06:07 PM)
Kenny Williams and his scouts will have everybody on their collective knobs if the Sox take Harvey (if he's there) in the third round. The Sox would be getting THREE top 50(ish) talents and would certainly make passing on Porcello worthwhile.

If the Sox were to take Harvey it would make passing on Porcello easier to take. It's just too bad they won't take him.

I'm sure glad we didn't draft anyone named Lars.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 06:09 PM)
Good point. Although I'm not the only one.....

I'm sure he'll pitch into oblivion now. :D

yayayayayayayay

Is that the Rally Rolling Rock? :P

I need to find my Egbert in this draft.