2007 MLB Amateur Draft Thread

Flash Tizzle

Leroy Hunt

Scouting Report: The Reds drafted Hunt in 2005 as an outfielder out of high school and followed him to Sacramento City College. He had enormous raw power as a hitter but never seemed to get comfortable at the plate against good velocity, so Sac City moved him to the mound to take advantage of his arm strength. While he remains raw, Hunt has one of the best fastballs in the state. It has heavy sink and boring armside run, and Hunt throws it in the 90-94 mph range, touching 95 at times. His secondary stuff (slider, changeup) is almost nonexistent, but that didn't stop him from a 40-inning scoreless streak this spring, including a pair of outings against better-regarded Matt Thompson of Santa Rosa (Calif.) Junior College. Hunt needs to develop either his slider or changeup to have a second pitch, a concern because he hasn't shown much aptitude so far. He doesn't have a four-year college option and should be an easy sign, and with his intimidating size (6-foot-6, 220 pounds) and fastball, he profiles as a power reliever.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another hard thrower with lack of secondary stuff. The Sox brass must obviously be confident they can teach these guys to develop their other pitches.

All in all, we really need to be taking some position players soon. Young pitching is a valuable commodity yes, but I think we're pretty deep in it now, and you can't certainly say that for our position prospects, especially up the middle.

QUOTE(southsida86 @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 07:09 PM)
If they were going to pick another pitcher I would have gone with the lefty from Kaneland HS in Maple Park. There was a special on CSN about him. He throws 94-97 with the fastball.

is that casey crosby?

QUOTE(southsida86 @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 07:09 PM)
If they were going to pick another pitcher I would have gone with the lefty from Kaneland HS in Maple Park. There was a special on CSN about him. He throws 94-97 with the fastball.

I believe he is considered a tough sign as he wants to go to Illinois.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 07:14 PM)
Wow, Hell of a play by Fields.

(I know this isn't the game thread.)

holy s*** i didn't even realize the game had started. lol. guess this is more interesting.